PDA

View Full Version : Holy Spellslinger?

rainbowjo
2009-09-20, 08:05 PM
I started playing D&D a few weeks before the 3.5 to 4e transition, never got past 4th level and didn't a chance to learn the system to well, I played 4th a lot, and was pretty fond of a few of the class concepts. Specifically the Invoker and Swordmage.

My DM has recently decided that we are going to move our campaign setting to 3.5, I understand the game concept is completely different, but I would like to play something like a Divine Spell slinger, and I'm not sure that Cleric is going to fit the bill. Can someone recommend a class, or prestige class focused on using divine magic for more battle oriented way?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-20, 08:06 PM
What specifically do you want to do?

Offhand, I'd say Favored Soul, but without knowing more...

playswithfire
2009-09-20, 08:14 PM
Seconding that the favored soul fits the vague sense I have of what your looking for.

There's also Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator. Cleric can usually pull off being pretty battle-oriented if built properly on its own, too.

Catch
2009-09-20, 08:18 PM
It sounds like Divine blasting with a side of melee, so I second the RKV. There's some divine dakka in the Spell Compendium, so with a buff or two prepared and a few good maneuver selections, you'd be good to go.

quick_comment
2009-09-20, 08:18 PM
Complete mage has the holy scourge which is a spellcasting prc that lets you deal extra damage to evil creatures, smite evil with your spells and pierce evil SR more easily. Its arcane though, not divine.

If you want a holy-blaster type, you can go sorcerer 5/Holy Scourge 5/Exalted Arcanist 5/Whatever 5. This gets you all sanctified spells as spells known(!), access to a bunch more spells which you can learn as normal, and being able to smite with your spells. Also the ability to consecreate and purify your spells without adding to casting time. Take the planar sorcerer substitution level from the planar handbook, and you can make your blasting spells half force and half divine damage.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-20, 08:33 PM
What about just a metamagic style cleric... into a blaster PRC.. there are some decent cleric dd spells..
and with divine metamagic can do alot of fun stuff.

AslanCross
2009-09-20, 09:22 PM
Eberron's Five Nations has the Silver Flame Pyromancer. It's an arcane caster but sanctifies its spells so that they bypass resistances and immunities. Gets paladin spells too, which is awesome.

quick_comment
2009-09-20, 09:23 PM
Eberron's Five Nations has the Silver Flame Pyromancer. It's an arcane caster but sanctifies its spells so that they bypass resistances and immunities. Gets paladin spells too, which is awesome.

Ooh, yeah, I forgot about that.

Sorcerer 5/Holy Scourge 5/Silver Pyromancer 5/Exalted Arcanist 5

Silver pyromancer also gets turning (or does it require turning, I forget).