PDA

View Full Version : trying to be as fast as possible

Korivan
2009-09-20, 10:40 PM
This goal is more about boredom then actual concepts. But I'm seeing just how fast I could make a creatures land speed.

First, is there any templates or races that have a greater then 30ft base speed without level or minimum level adjustments?

then, the traint quickness adds +10 at the cost of 1hp per level

gestalt monk/???-dervish adds 10-75ft after a while

theres the dash feat for another 5ft

boots of speed/hastes gives another 30ft temparaly.

If I can get a 40ft base creature then I'm looking at a 160ft base movement. Wondering just how fast that is in MPH.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-20, 10:49 PM
This goal is more about boredom then actual concepts. But I'm seeing just how fast I could make a creatures land speed.

First, is there any templates or races that have a greater then 30ft base speed without level or minimum level adjustments?

then, the traint quickness adds +10 at the cost of 1hp per level

gestalt monk/???-dervish adds 10-75ft after a while

theres the dash feat for another 5ft

boots of speed/hastes gives another 30ft temparaly.

If I can get a 40ft base creature then I'm looking at a 160ft base movement. Wondering just how fast that is in MPH.

Catfolk from races of the wild have a 40 ft. though there a +1 level adgustment.

IthilanorStPete
2009-09-20, 10:53 PM
The Dark template from Tome of Magic gives +10 ft. It's LA +1.

Conversion factor from ft/round to mi/hr is:
(1 ft/round)(1 round/6 sec)(3600 sec/1 hr)(1 mile/5280 ft) = 0.113636364.

SoD
2009-09-20, 10:54 PM
Also; the Dark template gives +10 feet land speed for +1 LA. Throw in a level of barbarian if you can. Maybe play a Chaos monk?

Dark template from whatever book had Truenamer, Shadowmage and Binder. Tome of Magic? Dunno. Maybe. Stop typing to yourself, SoD. People are looking at you funny.

Edit; apparantly ninjas are really quick.

ex cathedra
2009-09-20, 10:55 PM
Catfolk is +1 and 40ft. Feral is +1 and 40ft. Dark is +1 and +10 feet.

Feathered wings give you double your highest speed as a fly speed (average). Haste technically gives you an extra 30ft. from this, as well.

robgrayert
2009-09-20, 11:30 PM
The "Quick" trait in Unearthed Arcana gives you +10 feet to your base speed in exchange for -1 hp/level.

xanaphia
2009-09-20, 11:34 PM
So, a Dark Level 1 Catfolk Quick Barbarian is ECL 3 and moves 70ft.

quick_comment
2009-09-21, 12:01 AM
Travel devotion effectively doubles your speed.

lsfreak
2009-09-21, 12:08 AM
Shadow creature, Lords of Madness, is +2 and gives x1.5 base speed (and a number of other highly useful things).

Haste doesn't stack with monk speed boosts.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-21, 12:12 AM
Feathered wings give you double your highest speed as a fly speed (average). Haste technically gives you an extra 30ft. from this, as well.

If you're bringing fly speed into things then you might as well add an Air Heritage feat for another +30.

EnnPeeCee
2009-09-21, 01:11 AM
Me and my friend had a thread about this a while back: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121901

I can't remember if I ever got it faster than what is listed there.

infinitypanda
2009-09-21, 02:35 AM
There was some cleric build a while ago that could move at almost light speed for a few rounds per day, but I can't for the life of me find it.

ex cathedra
2009-09-21, 02:47 AM
Chuck E. Cheese. A Ruby Knight Vindicator with Tornado Throw and persistant Footsteps of the Divine (or whatever that spell's name is.)

I believe it got errata'd.

Sophismata
2009-09-21, 04:49 AM
An Ardent with Speed of Thought and a certain mantle gets +20 ft from level one.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-21, 07:47 AM
Phantom Steed.

Maxes out at 240 per round, flying. On a normal move action.

woodenbandman
2009-09-21, 08:49 AM
Oriental Adventures: The Ratling races is +0 LA 40 foot move speed. It also has the blade dancer, which doubles your move speed at level 1 and triples it at level 10. It's a bonus, so it doesn't double haste and such, but it stacks with Dark and Quick and being a Rat-thing.

dentrag2
2009-09-21, 08:55 AM
Erm, assuming a 360 ft/round move speed, that's 60/FEET PER SECOND.

Keewatin
2009-09-21, 09:23 AM
Phantom Steed.

Maxes out at 240 per round, flying. On a normal move action.

Phantom stag maxes out at 300 and can attack. But if your getting into fly speeds and mounts this gets silly quickly. Since travelers mount gives your mount +20 speed and then lets you double its total speed by hustling for hours:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2009-09-21, 09:26 AM
I am not sure if this is in 3.5, but in Pathfinder there is the Fleet feat. Your base speed increases by five except when wearing medium or more armour armour load.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-21, 09:27 AM
The Dark template from Tome of Magic gives +10 ft. It's LA +1.

Conversion factor from ft/round to mi/hr is:
(1 ft/round)(1 round/6 sec)(3600 sec/1 hr)(1 mile/5280 ft) = 0.113636364.

The Dark Template has no LA if you buy a magic item worth 22K.

Alex Star
2009-09-21, 10:13 AM
Erm, assuming a 360 ft/round move speed, that's 60/FEET PER SECOND.

Wow.. that's a standard movement of 40.9 Miles Per Hour.... I would say that your character would need to be under some kind of assisted breathing effect if he ever wanted to run...

Dracons
2009-09-21, 10:20 AM
Wow.. that's a standard movement of 40.9 Miles Per Hour.... I would say that your character would need to be under some kind of assisted breathing effect if he ever wanted to run...

Its. A. Game. With Magic. A wizard did it. If magic can cause a dead body to come back, from a fingernail, and be restored with no damage to the mind or body, then a spell that can make you run fast will also allow you to breath nornally.

Unless they ran into the wall. Then you know, ouchies.

rokar4life
2009-09-21, 10:23 AM

assuming that the one running has a similar density, and bone/muscle structure, then the muscle would start separating from the bones in his legs around 20 mph, they would just plain rip off at 40

rokar4life
2009-09-21, 10:27 AM
is this going to build up into the bullet monk build? as a preemptive strike on that, windwalk/control weather, and a sudden materialization will do much better than any other possible build.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-21, 10:50 AM
assuming that the one running has a similar density, and bone/muscle structure, then the muscle would start separating from the bones in his legs around 20 mph, they would just plain rip off at 40
That's bunk. Asafa Powell, running 100m in 9.77 seconds, wasn't starting to tear apart at 22.9 MPH. And since most mammals have similar bone and muscle structure, and cheetahs can sprint up to 75 MPH every day to hunt, there's just no way that a person's muscles would "just plain rip off" at less than 30% of the kinetic energy a cheetah expends.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-21, 11:01 AM
That's bunk. Asafa Powell, running 100m in 9.77 seconds, wasn't starting to tear apart at 22.9 MPH. And since most mammals have similar bone and muscle structure, and cheetahs can sprint up to 75 MPH every day to hunt, there's just no way that a person's muscles would "just plain rip off" at less than 30% of the kinetic energy a cheetah expends.

After long durations of running at top speed (more than 20 minutes or so) the muscles would start to tear. Its actually a part of strengthening them (they tear up a little, and regenerate stronger than before). Running at 20+ mph causes excessive tearing, making the regeneration process much longer, or even impossible outright. Finally, sustaining that speed causes recoil to your bones (your legs hitting the ground causes some shock to be absorbed by the bones). It acts like a very slow jackhammer, and slowly fractures them if you run for too long at such speeds. The body can handle it for several minutes, but 1/3 of an hour (easy fora DnD character, difficult for a real-life human) your body would suffer some damage.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-21, 11:22 AM
The body can handle it for several minutes, but 1/3 of an hour (easy fora DnD character, difficult for a real-life human) your body would suffer some damage.
Easy?
You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score, but after that you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. You must check again each round in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check you have made. When you fail this check, you must stop running. A character who has run to his limit must rest for 1 minute (10 rounds) before running again. Let's say you're a very studly D&D character, with a CON of 20. So you can run 20 rounds. Then you need to make a DC 10 CON check, then a DC 11 check, and so on. Even with a rolled 20 you'll still fail when the DC reaches 26, so that's 20+16 rounds total, or 3.6 minutes. There's no way you can run 1/3 of an hour (20 minutes) straight with a regular D&D character.

Blackfang108
2009-09-21, 11:41 AM
Easy? Let's say you're a very studly D&D character, with a CON of 20. So you can run 20 rounds. Then you need to make a DC 10 CON check, then a DC 11 check, and so on. Even with a rolled 20 you'll still fail when the DC reaches 26, so that's 20+16 rounds total, or 3.6 minutes. There's no way you can run 1/3 of an hour (20 minutes) straight with a regular D&D character.

Wouldn't the Run feat change this a little? Or is that just a boost to speed?

EDIT: checked, nope, just speed.

Endurance adds +4, giving you a few more rounds of speed.

.. Oh!

Wouldn't Speed of Thought help?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-21, 11:46 AM
Wouldn't the Run feat change this a little? Or is that just a boost to speed?
The feat just boosts your multiplier. It doesn't change how many rounds you can run before you need to stop and rest.

Mongoose87
2009-09-21, 12:07 PM
Isn't there a rule that forbids using physics in DnD?

Samb
2009-09-21, 12:07 PM
An Ardent with Speed of Thought and a certain mantle gets +20 ft from level one.

Freedom mantle. Xeph race can burst for 3 turns.

So xeph with speed of thought and freedom mantle and quick trait has 60 on a normal move. Use burst to pump it up to 70. Dimensional hop adds another 10. So 80 feet a round is doable.

Telonius
2009-09-21, 12:13 PM
Crowdsurfing on a sufficiently long Peasant Railgun could theoretically get you from zero to faster-than-light in two rounds. (Though that's probably not really what you're looking for.)

Curmudgeon
2009-09-21, 12:17 PM
Isn't there a rule that forbids using physics in DnD? Actually, no.
This section on world-building assumes that your campaign is set in a fairly realistic world. That is to say that while wizards cast spells, deities channel power to clerics, and dragons raze villages, the world is round, the laws of physics are applicable, and most people act like real people. The reason for this assumption is that unless they are told otherwise, this situation is what your players expect.

sofawall
2009-09-21, 12:26 PM
Easy? Let's say you're a very studly D&D character, with a CON of 20. So you can run 20 rounds. Then you need to make a DC 10 CON check, then a DC 11 check, and so on. Even with a rolled 20 you'll still fail when the DC reaches 26, so that's 20+16 rounds total, or 3.6 minutes. There's no way you can run 1/3 of an hour (20 minutes) straight with a regular D&D character.

It was talking about a character with a 360 ft. move speed. Not running. Hustling. You can go for an hour without a problem.

Hustle

A character can hustle for 1 hour without a problem.

J.Gellert
2009-09-21, 12:26 PM
After long durations of running at top speed (more than 20 minutes or so) the muscles would start to tear. Its actually a part of strengthening them (they tear up a little, and regenerate stronger than before). Running at 20+ mph causes excessive tearing, making the regeneration process much longer, or even impossible outright. Finally, sustaining that speed causes recoil to your bones (your legs hitting the ground causes some shock to be absorbed by the bones). It acts like a very slow jackhammer, and slowly fractures them if you run for too long at such speeds. The body can handle it for several minutes, but 1/3 of an hour (easy fora DnD character, difficult for a real-life human) your body would suffer some damage.

The tears are miniscule, and I don't think that strengthening process has actually been proven (more like speculation).

Bones do get fractures from too much use, and your joints would also deteriorate. But this is a slow process... Normally happens over months or years, but I can't really say how that would work for a D&D character (no sport shoes) running at that speed.

In any case, you wouldn't explode or anything :) Worst case scenario, you'd collapse from a broken bone or ruined knee, and after a while die from acute kidney failure because of the miniscule muscle tears you mentioned.

(Assuming your heart and lungs don't cave in first... but that's already represented by... force-marching yourself into death?)

sofawall
2009-09-21, 12:32 PM

Hmm... 20 mins is 200 rounds, correct?

Well, let's see, 18+4 mongrelfolk+2 dragonborn+4 mineral warrior+6 Lolth Touched+5 HD+5 Tome+6 item gives us... a con of 50. A modifier of +20. Assume we took the Endurance feat. We have a +24 on the check. Assume we always roll a 10. That lasts us for an additional 25 rounds. 75 rounds, or an eighth of an hour. We need a lot more con, and while it is possible, it would involve some heavy template stacking, and I don't think many would play with an LA+19 creature.

rokar4life
2009-09-21, 05:23 PM
Serriously look it up, when running in excess of 20(25???) mph the muscle will start to split off away from the bone, and without the support, the bone will shatter.

In what way is a cheetahs bone/muscle structure similar to ours? For starters they run on four legs which distributes the weight/stress better. In addition a cheetah will on average hit 60-65 mph for about 8-12 seconds, not quite long enough to have the muscle split.

Alex Star
2009-09-23, 02:03 PM
LOL who said anything about running..

40.9 MPH would be walking speed for the character.

Running(without the feat) and the character is running at 160+ MPH.... I think if he has a nice cloak he can lift-off

Antariuk
2009-09-29, 01:49 AM
Hm, why did nobody mentioned centaurs as race? (or I missed it).
The SRD centaurs are pretty fast with 50ft. movement and they get useful abilities for fighters like +8 to STR or darkvision. In case of a more reasonable build I would choose this for sure.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-29, 08:03 AM
LOL who said anything about running..

40.9 MPH would be walking speed for the character.
No, that's too fast. Combat speed is always a hustle, which is halfway between walking and running.

Indon
2009-09-29, 09:33 AM
There's an Incarnum feat that grants +5 feet of movement speed every point of Essentia invested, so if you gain an Essentia pool of 4 at level 20 that's +20 speed.

There's also a Marshal aura that increases your speed (Major, sadly, so at least a 2 level investment) that explicitly stacks with everything except another Marshal aura.

Leon
2009-09-29, 09:47 AM
Take the hard ground out of the equation with one level of Elocator

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 10:04 AM
I think it was fairly easy to become The Flash in SRD only. Something like a quick trait Xeph druid with the dash feat that takes the two subsittion levels that give him the barbarians increased speed and the monks increase speed.

Master_Rahl22
2009-09-29, 01:14 PM
I'd love to see the build I saw on the old Gleemax forums for fastest ever. That guy could circle the Earth something like 3 times in a single round. Add in some item and he could light every square he passed through on fire. He could almost completely cover the continental US with flames in a round.

As for the suggestions people are bringing up, beware of bonuses from the same source. The Dervish speed boost is an Enhancement bonus, so it doesn't stack with Boots of Speed/Striding and Springing and the like.

Talya
2009-09-29, 04:40 PM
Isn't there a rule that forbids using physics in DnD?

It's not forbidden, but you will become known as a mass murderer of catgirls.

And since this thread does involve the catfolk race at one point...*headexplodes*

AgentPaper
2009-09-29, 05:06 PM
If you're really interested in speed like this, you just need to make a list of everything that increases speed, from items and templates and races and such, sorted by what type of bonus they are. Then, just get the highest of each type of bonus and as many untyped bonuses as possible into the same build and you've got yourself the fastest character ever.

ScionofImperius
2009-09-30, 11:32 AM
if you take half fae from the fiend folio, its fly speed is equal to double its fastest move speed. it does not list anything in the entry or in the errata about base speed only.

TelemontTanthul
2009-09-30, 11:56 AM
well, first and foremost, you can take a few levels of monk.

Then some levels of scout.

Throw in a barbarian level or two.

And you are looking at a base land speed of around 100 ft or so.

Don't quote me on the math, since I am not going to bother looking up the actual numbers.

SinsI
2009-09-30, 12:26 PM
well, first and foremost, you can take a few levels of monk.

Then some levels of scout.

Throw in a barbarian level or two.

And you are looking at a base land speed of around 100 ft or so.

Don't quote me on the math, since I am not going to bother looking up the actual numbers.

Edit: Both Monk's bonus and Scout's bonuses are "enhancement", they don't stack. And since barbarian's is also called "Fast Movement" I don't think his stacks either. So just grab 18th level in monk for that +20m/round

Wandiya
2009-12-12, 08:00 AM
Ride bonus +19 or higher. Line up a bunch of mounts. Mount one as a free action (automatic success). Dismount as a free action... on the other side. Mount the next as a free action. Dismount on the other side. Repeat as many times as you like, it's all free actions.
from here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19911222/101_Silly_Engine_Flaws_the_DM_will_Laugh_at_and_Di scount) :smallbiggrin:

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-12, 08:35 AM
Given that nobody specified which system, I'm going to say 10 dots in Celerity. Never race the Toreador Antediluvian.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-12, 08:36 AM
Given that nobody specified which system, I'm going to say 10 dots in Celerity. Never race the Toreador Antediluvian.

Malkav here: Raced him. Possessed Malkavian beyond the finish line. I won.

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-12, 08:51 AM
Malkav here: Raced him. Possessed Malkavian beyond the finish line. I won.

Ahh, well played. All though that *might* be a case of chea- ohgodohgodthecoloursohohgodmyminditishurtingwhywhy whyithurtsithurtsithurts

The moral of the story? Malkav wins arguments