PDA

View Full Version : multi player Tactical shooters

DemonicAngel
2009-09-21, 10:31 AM
well, I'm pretty much bored, and I don't wanna play anther mindless FPS.

so, are there any good "old" (aka 2000-2004 or so) first person tactical shooters I can play online? if they're free, even better. if not, I'll get them some way or anther.

please help me >;

chiasaur11
2009-09-21, 10:32 AM
I don't do Tactical shooters much, but Swat 4 sounds about right for this kind of thing.

Rustic Dude
2009-09-21, 10:37 AM
I support chiasaur's choice.

You can try also the earlier Battlefields(1942, Vietnam), or Star Wars: Battlefront. (Not so tactical, but not mindless.)

Mando Knight
2009-09-21, 10:56 AM
I haven't tried the multiplayer, but Republic Commando is pretty good... and is available on Steam now...

Erloas
2009-09-21, 11:13 AM
Depends exactly what you want to define as a tactical shooter. The Rainbow Six games I feel fall into that category, with the earlier games more so then the later games. I know Rogue Spear and Raven Shield (2 and 3 respectively) both have multiplayer in both vs and co-op.

The newest 2, Vegas and Vegas 2 are still a lot more tactical then most FPSs, but they've lost some of their tacticalness compared to the previous ones. Its really obvious in the single player campaign, but in multiplayer the "consolization" of the games are less obvious.

I have no idea how active the multiplayer on the other games are. Last I checked with Vegas 2 (a few months ago probably) there was still a decent number of players.

As far as I know none of them are free, but they are really cheap. Less then $10.

Artanis
2009-09-21, 11:28 AM
Depends exactly what you want to define as a tactical shooter.

I have to agree on this front. Counterstrike uses an awful lot of tactics, but it ain't exactly Rainbow Six. If you stretch the definition of "tactical" far enough, you might maybe possibly perhaps be able to get it to include TF2.

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 12:58 PM
You could always try one of the Bohemia Interactive Studios games- Operation Flashpoint, Arma and ArmaII. From what I've read, the tactics are so sharp you could probably shave with them, so long as you don't the occasional bug.