PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising announced

Lord_Asmodeus
2009-09-21, 01:25 PM
I didn't see a thread for it, so I decided to make one. Here's all the information other people gathered and I shamelessly stole to put in this OP:

http://www.thq.com/resources/packshots/packshotsFront/c5b83eb5f42a139b68810f55ab699be4.jpg

About the game:

Chaos are from the Black Legion

Units:

Chaos Space Marines (obviously)
Chaos Predator
Chaos Dreadnought
Chaos Khorne Bloodcrusher
Chaos Hounds (possibly a wargear item)
Chaos Terminator Lord (based on the very first teaser to the expansion, where people got a Chaos Terminator Lord miniture)
Chaos Sorcerer
Plague Marines
Chaos Devestators

New units for all current races;

Multiplayer:

All four Chaos gods may be represented in multiplayer.
Snow maps.

Singleplayer:

Players continue on from end of current campaign, with all their items and levels.
Level cap raised to 30, new unlockable abilities introduced.

Corruption aspect: Depending on what you do in a mission, your units/chapter may or may not become increasingly corrupted. (such as destroying an Imperial Alter). Wargear drops and stats will change depending on your corruption level. NPC's in missions may or may not assist you depending on your corruption level.

Eliphas may be making a return.

The next chapter in the critically acclaimed RTS, Dawn of War II...

THQ today announced Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II – Chaos Rising™, the next standalone chapter in the critically acclaimed RTS series, is scheduled for release on Games For Windows LIVE in spring 2010.

Set in the grim, war-ravaged world of Games Workshop’s vast Warhammer 40,000 science fiction universe, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising transports you into the midst of an intergalactic war between ancient enemies.

Continue the single player campaign from the original Dawn of War II with all new Wargear and a level cap raise from 20 to 30 for your Blood Raven squad. Veterans of the Dawn of War II single player campaign can use their existing squads’ accumulated wargear, abilities and experience to battle the traitorous Chaos Space Marines of the Black Legion throughout 20 new missions. Powerful new Chaos-tainted wargear can also be equipped and used against your enemy, but doing so could lead to dreadful consequences.

The Chaos Space Marines will also be playable as a brand new army in multiplayer. Other multiplayer additions include new units for Orks, Eldar, Tyranids and Space Marines, as well as new multiplayer maps.

We're still kicking the ideas around but we're probably thinking that when you get the expansion pack you'll be able to continue with the Space Marines where you left off. So if you got the level twenty, you'll continue at level 20 and work your way up. If you've got good gear, you'll still have it, and if you're a new player we'll give you a default set of level 20 heroes and take it from there.

Screenshots and such (http://www.dawnofwar2.com/us/media/screenshots/game/chaos_rising)

http://i38.tinypic.com/oh4qqt.jpg

Discuss!

Miss Nobody
2009-09-21, 01:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to this because love the Dawn of War games, though I'm still waiting for a DOW2 expansion that will feature Tau.

We're still kicking the ideas around but we're probably thinking that when you get the expansion pack you'll be able to continue with the Space Marines where you left off. So if you got the level twenty, you'll continue at level 20 and work your way up. If you've got good gear, you'll still have it, and if you're a new player we'll give you a default set of level 20 heroes and take it from there.

I'd really like it if they let you continue with the Space Marines because they are my other favourite race.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-21, 01:56 PM
Holy poop that's awesome.

I mean, Tyranids, Orcs and Space Marines (I didn't like the Eldar in DOW2) were fun to play as, but Chaos just takes the cake. I can't wait. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Herman
2009-09-21, 02:01 PM
*glee* :smallbiggrin:

Herman is happy now.

Edit: Chaos was certainly #1 on my list of factions I'd hoped they include in expansions. Still want my Imperial Guard someday, though.

Dragonus45
2009-09-21, 02:31 PM
Alright, now the only thing missing my dern imperial guard. So who else is wishing there was more than just Space Marines for the campaign.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-21, 02:37 PM
Alright, now the only thing missing my dern imperial guard. So who else is wishing there was more than just Space Marines for the campaign.

Yeah. I mean, a Tyranids/Orks campaign would be pretty useless (as the lore-side would just be "We want to kill these blokes because A) we're hungry or B) We like ta fight").

*Hopes for Sisters of Battle, Dark Eldar and Imperial Guard campaigns*
:smallbiggrin:

Oslecamo
2009-09-21, 02:41 PM
I feel sorry for chaos. I feel really really sorry. Because they'll be represented as a bunch of spiked idiotic weaklings since relic considers crushing completely helpless oponents fun.

Joran
2009-09-21, 02:59 PM
Well, I pretty much stopped playing DoW II multiplayer. It was a pretty good run, up until the really large balance fixes which made the game more unforgiving and made it less fun for me to play. That and L4D replaced it as the game of choice for our Wednesday gaming nights.

It's like a weekly bowling game, except with ZOMBIES.

P.S. Any idea how Chaos are supposed to play like? A stronger, beefier SM with more emphasis on melee?

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 03:37 PM
I feel sorry for chaos. I feel really really sorry. Because they'll be represented as a bunch of spiked idiotic weaklings since relic considers crushing completely helpless oponents fun.

They actually might not. In DoW I, Chaos had what, the second toughest basic heavy infantry after the Necrons? I know they were slightly ahead of the loyalist Marines, with the cultists beating out the Imperial Guard man for...thing as well.

And canonically, the Space Marines should be vastly superior to the orks and 'nids. Sure the occasional warboss or bigger 'nid should pose a threat, something I think was represented by the end of level bosses, but the average ork or Tyrannid isn't gonna have a chance.

The Eldar should be a bit ahead of the other enemies, and closer to the Space Marines, and indeed I think they were. They suffered from the (again) canonical weakness of being made of tissue paper, which really starts to hurt when every dude in my squad has a Ph.D. in Applied Brutality with a Masters in Situational Violence after doing the undergraduate work in Rending, but the Eldar could be a right pain in the ass. Plus, let's face it, if the DoWII Campaign Eldar fought the way Eldar are supposed to fight- sneaky and bastardlike- the game would be exactly zero fun.

Anyway, a tough enemy able to trade hits one for one with me would be something quite enjoyable in a DoWII style campaign. If they have both Cultists and Traitor Marines, we get the best of both worlds- hordes of weak enemies to be reaped In His Name, and strong yet vile enemies needing purged In His Name.

Astrella
2009-09-21, 03:41 PM
Yeah. I mean, a Tyranids/Orks campaign would be pretty useless (as the lore-side would just be "We want to kill these blokes because A) we're hungry or B) We like ta fight").

I'd mostly like a campaign like in Winter Assault (which had playable Orkz btw), it had all the races, fun objectives and a decent story. But, that's probably vain hope. :smallsigh:

Shas aia Toriia
2009-09-21, 04:35 PM
That. . . Is. . . AWESOME!!!

I haven't felt this excited about a game since the release of vanilla DoW 2

Lord Herman
2009-09-21, 04:39 PM
The box art is awesome, by the way. I like it almost as much as the winter assault box.

Copper8642
2009-09-21, 06:31 PM
Speaking of DoW.... while we all get excited for the expansion (my only issue with expansions that release stuff like this is that everyone uses it for like a month straight, other than that, pure gold), shall we play some DoW? I haven't seen anyone on in forever, and have been off for awhile myself.

Guancyto
2009-09-21, 07:17 PM

Right behind you there. :smallbiggrin: They'd have to change some mechanics to do an Imperial Guard campaign, but it would so be worth it.

Also, I'm wondering how much falling to Chaos will actually affect. Will running with zero taint give you an "Epic Victory" ending like in DoW II, will it give you access to holier-style abilities (for instance, after a certain level of corruption you can't use Rosarius any more, replacing it with a damage bonus or something)?

Dixieboy
2009-09-21, 07:49 PM

Damn, I am getting more and more tired of the online problems I have.

KilltheToy
2009-09-21, 10:00 PM
I heard about this earlier today. Now I am appeased.

I actually feel the need to get DoW II now. What I wonder, though, is if Relic is what units we get this time. The screenshots have shown Chaos Marines (duh.), Chaos Predators, Chaos Dreadnaughts, and what may or may not be Plague Marines.

Also, glad to see the Black Legion is getting some attention. Actually one of the better choices, since any unit choice for them actually fits. Running around with a bunch of Bezerkers in the Emperors Children's uniform or a Sorceror in the red and brass of the World Eaters in a unit of Horrors were a source of endless amusement :smalltongue:.

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 10:06 PM

Damn, I am getting more and more tired of the online problems I have.

I'm just hoping that this time the game won't spontaneously restart my computer a few minutes into some missions. I never could finish the game. Ah well, maybe on a fresh copy of Windows...

UnChosenOne
2009-09-21, 10:51 PM
Well, this might given me a reason to buy DoWII, though it offical site seems to idigate that there won't be campaing for Chaos... Think it, there could happen something like next if you allow your taint to raise to high: 40% of your chapter have turned to Chaos. <continue as loyalist> <join to Chaos>

MrPig
2009-09-21, 11:31 PM
My only complaint about this announcement is the lack of single player campaigns for the other races like Winter Assault/Dark Crusade/Soulstorm had.

Talkkno
2009-09-22, 12:16 PM
Meh, Space Marines with a spike fetish, give me some Imperial Guard!

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 12:35 PM
Meh, Space Marines with a spike fetish, give me some Imperial Guard!

The tree of not being devoured by xenos and demons must be watered from time to time pretty much all of the time with the blood of heretics and guardsmen. And Xenos. But mainly guardsmen.

Bouregard
2009-09-22, 12:43 PM
Mhm seems like I have to play again a coop to lvl 20 hrhr.... Burn in rightenous fire chaos guys!

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-22, 12:49 PM
My only complaint about this announcement is the lack of single player campaigns for the other races like Winter Assault/Dark Crusade/Soulstorm had.

Personally, I would've liked to see them add Imperial Guard as well as Chaos, and a campaign for all the sides like they did with Winter Assault, which I think had the hands down best campaign of all Dawn of War games. To be honest, just taking my Space Marines to higher levels doesn't make the add-on all that attractive to me, since I heavily favor single player in DoW II and rather prefer Dark Crusade for multiplayer.

That said, I do expect Chaos to be as awesomely well-represented as the other races in DoW II, which certainly was a good step in terms of coming closer to tabletop: Space Marines are massive badass armies of a few folks, Orks and Tyranids are numbers, numbers, numbers (Well, and Tyranids have the occasional ultra-badass Carnifex, of course) and Eldar are a giganomous pain in the buttox with their stealth tactics, long-range cannon things, rangers, and WARP SPIDERS, WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE WARP SPIDERS? :smalleek:

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind them fixing the boss-fight system, which basically boiled down to "attack as long as your banner and health packs last, run away because their damage totally WTFBBQs you, and slowly whittle their health away over minutes upon minutes of fire".

Dixieboy
2009-09-22, 12:58 PM
Personally, I would've liked to see them add Imperial Guard as well as Chaos, and a campaign for all the sides like they did with Winter Assault, which I think had the hands down best campaign of all Dawn of War games. We die STANDING!
To be honest, just taking my Space Marines to higher levels doesn't make the add-on all that attractive to me, since I heavily favor single player in DoW II and rather prefer Dark Crusade for multiplayer.
Hear, hear!

That said, I do expect Chaos to be as awesomely well-represented as the other races in DoW II, which certainly was a good step in terms of coming closer to tabletop: Space Marines are massive badass armies of a few folks, Orks and Tyranids are numbers, numbers, numbers (Well, and Tyranids have the occasional ultra-badass Carnifex, of course) and Eldar are a giganomous pain in the buttox with their stealth tactics, long-range cannon things, rangers, and WARP SPIDERS, WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE WARP SPIDERS? :smalleek:To me it seemed they tried to do "NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS" with everyone but the space marines.
I don't mind being outnumbered by orks and 'nids, but being outnumbered 20:1 by ELDAR?
And when eldar tactics comes down to standing around and shooting at me, hoping to overcome me through the might of more dakka, something is simply wrong.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind them fixing the boss-fight system, which basically boiled down to "attack as long as your banner and health packs last, run away because their damage totally WTFBBQs you, and slowly whittle their health away over minutes upon minutes of fire".
Or, if you like me invested solely in toughness and a single attack skill pr. unit.
Stand around and shoot until the thing dies, use the occasional medpac, but only like once every 20% boss hp.
Dodging is simply a waste of tme.

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 01:41 PM
Yeah, some of the boss fights were a bit...painful. I have vivid, and also horrible memories of dancing a carnifex to death with a missile launcher wielding Avitus. Took bloody forever to kill the bastard, since I'd have to run around the big rock formation, take a shot, run around the big rock formation, take a shot, run around the big rock formation, take a shot...

The annoying thing was that by this point Tarkus had a plasma gun that could take a non-boss Carnifex down so fast it made your head hurt.

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-22, 01:43 PM
Or, if you like me invested solely in toughness and a single attack skill pr. unit.
Stand around and shoot until the thing dies, use the occasional medpac, but only like once every 20% boss hp.
Dodging is simply a waste of tme.

I always put everything into damage first, HP second, and had DPS in the range of about 1000-2500, but on Captain difficulty, even a maxed-health Dreadnought goes down from like two to three boss hits, and it still took ages to really put the hurt on them. Yes, even with 2500-DPS-Avitus, who'd shoot down tides of hundreds of Tyranid grunts before even one of them would get to him.

JMobius
2009-09-22, 01:59 PM
I always put everything into damage first, HP second, and had DPS in the range of about 1000-2500, but on Captain difficulty, even a maxed-health Dreadnought goes down from like two to three boss hits, and it still took ages to really put the hurt on them. Yes, even with 2500-DPS-Avitus, who'd shoot down tides of hundreds of Tyranid grunts before even one of them would get to him.

I made the mistake of choosing Primarch for my first run through.

Three boss hits to take down a dreadnought makes me envious.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-09-22, 05:58 PM
I would love to start up some Campaign with somebody on Primarch difficulty. Not right now, but how about Thursday or Friday?
And of course, multiplayer.

Arcanoi
2009-09-22, 08:34 PM
My hopes for this game:

The player is able to actually FALL to Chaos, with his Force Commander becoming a Chaos Lord... etc, which comes with an alternate ending!
The enemies in the campaign WILL ACTUALLY BE GIVEN AI OF SOME SORT, rather than just sitting around camping crossroads until you come and kill them.
New units for the existing races, and not some ****ty addition like 'flying units'...
An Expansion of the Campaign with more, more unique map types and less focus on boss-fights.
Chaos won't play like a masochistic copy of the Space Marines in multiplayer.

A Rainy Knight
2009-09-22, 08:38 PM
Whoa, how did I not know about this? This looks really awesome. But I am still looking forward to that "Last Stand" game mode they've been talking about, too.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-22, 09:48 PM
I haven't read the OP, but just clicking on the thread and seeing a pic of a chaos lord just about made me **** my pants. Any other faction and I would turn this down. But chaos? HELL YEA

edit:
Chaos Terminator Lord (based on the very first teaser to the expansion, where people got a Chaos Terminator Lord miniture)

Do you have a link to this teaser somewhere? Would be awesome if they gave out a miniature with this, though I'm guessing it was just a promotional closed-event thing?

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 09:56 PM
I haven't read the OP, but just clicking on the thread and seeing a pic of a chaos lord just about made me **** my pants. Any other faction and I would turn this down. But chaos? HELL YEA

And it's such a good picture. Check out this sweet chaos dread too (http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/09/old_friends_coming_to_dinner_i.php)!

Talkkno
2009-09-23, 10:57 AM
The tree of not being devoured by xenos and demons must be watered from time to time pretty much all of the time with the blood of heretics and guardsmen. And Xenos. But mainly guardsmen.

The thing is that in the GRIM DARK future, man is the only frame of reference we can relate to. The solidity of humanity persists admits such horrors is what i find most admirable.

Zincorium
2009-09-23, 03:39 PM
Honestly, while I enjoyed the original, this is pissing me off.

There is no darn good reason why they can't make chaos a single player choice the exact same way the blood ravens are- It's a freaking reskin of the characters and a different explanation for why they are at point x fighting enemy y.

While I would be soothed by the suggestion you might be able to 'fall', I don't think they're going to do it.

Lord Herman
2009-09-23, 03:54 PM
I do hope there'll be a choice in which Chaos god you serve. Chaos could be a very interesting and diverse side that way; Tzeentch would give you sorcerers, horrors, and rubric marines, while Khorne gives bloodletters and berzerkers, Nurgle has plaguemarines and plaguebearers, and Slaanesh has noise marines and NSFW stuff. If they'd make the campaign part of the thirteenth black crusade, it'd even make sense for the Blood Ravens to be fighting different Chaos legions serving different gods.

Erloas
2009-09-23, 04:04 PM
Honestly, while I enjoyed the original, this is pissing me off.

There is no darn good reason why they can't make chaos a single player choice the exact same way the blood ravens are- It's a freaking reskin of the characters and a different explanation for why they are at point x fighting enemy y.

While I would be soothed by the suggestion you might be able to 'fall', I don't think they're going to do it.

Except that Chaos Space Marines and normal Space Marines, if done right, are not at all just a reskin of each other. Its not like you would call Tau a reskin of IG just because they are primarily a ranged army with little close combat ability, low armor and survivability, and a reliance on heavy firepower from tanks

Even specialized normal marines are hard pressed to melee down most chaos unit, and the melee chaos units will just decimate any normal marines in close combat. They have similar vehicles, but they also have some that don't carry over at all too. Nothing in the normal marines could compare to the deamon princes.

While its true that there are many loyal marines that are also specialized well beyond the normal marines and are a lot tougher and more melee focused, the normal marines don't really represent them well at all either.

To say loyal Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines are pretty much exactly the same is really just ignoring the setting completely and not looking past the fact that they both happen to wear Power Armor.

Oslecamo
2009-09-23, 04:41 PM
The thing is that in the GRIM DARK future, man is the only frame of reference we can relate to. The solidity of humanity persists admits such horrors is what i find most admirable.

Cough Tau Cough!

Join the greater good today citizen! We offer real lazer weapons, real armor, flying tanks, modest casuality rates, the second best living conditions on the galaxy and MECHAS!

Tau. Taking out the dark from grimdark since, well, whenever they were introduced in the seting.

Erloas:Actually, most chaos units are actually cultists and traitor guard that any marine worth their ass will wipe the floor with with an hand tied up at his back.

But, they're sissies and few people want to hear about them, so the focus ends up being on the half-demonic dudes with chainsaw lazer axes of DOOM!

Really, after the battle, will you remember better the massive waves of skinny mens with wooden spears (who actually did most of the damage) or the big bad demon with the big bad axe(who got shot down by some well aimed shots)?

Erloas
2009-09-23, 06:24 PM
Erloas:Actually, most chaos units are actually cultists and traitor guard that any marine worth their ass will wipe the floor with with an hand tied up at his back.

Well that really depends on how you want to look at it.
From a "this is everything that is associated to Chaos" perspective that is true, but from a Chaos Space Marines army composition/codex it is not true at all. And if you count all deamons as part of chaos its still not true because most deamons can beat most Marines and there is theoretically an infinite number of deamons, they just can't normally be outside the Eye of Terror. The cultists are to the CSM as the IG are to the Space Marines. It just happens that they decided to make an IG Codex and they didn't make a Cultists Codex.

In the context of DOW2 it is very clear what is refered to as Chaos (their Space Marine contingent) and they will handedly beat loygal Marines in most 1vs1 sort of situations. There are also fewer of them to make up for it.

Arcanoi
2009-09-23, 06:35 PM
The cultists are to the CSM as the IG are to the Space Marines. It just happens that they decided to make an IG Codex and they didn't make a Cultists Codex.

I've seen some awesome Chaos Cultist IG conversions.

But, yeah. It would be nice if the Cultists had their own Codex, although I think one of the main issues would be a clashing conflict of army similarity of purpose and style with the Orks, so GW would actually have to do some work to branch them away from a basic zerg army with a few heavy-hitting elites.

warty goblin
2009-09-23, 06:37 PM
I just hope Thaddeus is useful this time. I never could find much good to do with him that didn't tank my survivability rating, since he'd always contrive to get himself horribly killed. I was oh so happy when I got that dreadnaught.

tribble
2009-09-23, 07:09 PM
I've seen some awesome Chaos Cultist IG conversions.

But, yeah. It would be nice if the Cultists had their own Codex, although I think one of the main issues would be a clashing conflict of army similarity of purpose and style with the Orks, so GW would actually have to do some work to branch them away from a basic zerg army with a few heavy-hitting elites.

they had a codex. it was called the Lost and the Damned. GW discontinued them.
:mad:

Oslecamo
2009-09-23, 07:43 PM
And if you count all deamons as part of chaos its still not true because most deamons can beat most Marines and there is theoretically an infinite number of deamons, they just can't normally be outside the Eye of Terror.
Again, not true. Most of the demon hordes may be stronger than normal humans, but the rank and file of the warp are still weaker than normal marines, with the possible exception of Khorne bloodletters, and that's because all of them get armor raping swords straight from hell foundries.

Plaguebearers are tough but damn slow, daemonetes are nasty and annoying but they can't win whitout numbers even against eldars, and pink horrors are renowed for royally sucking at melee, to the point a normal guardsmen would actually beat the crap out of them with his lasgun as a club, but can fire powerfull volleys of fire at distance to make up for it.

In the context of DOW2 it is very clear what is refered to as Chaos (their Space Marine contingent) and they will handedly beat loygal Marines in most 1vs1 sort of situations. There are also fewer of them to make up for it.

This is DoW II. Expect chaos forces to try to zerg rush your team and get killed whitout any effort of your part. In max dificulty. Perhaps the bosses will survive some seconds but that won't matter because your team is imortal.

Talkkno
2009-09-23, 08:56 PM
Plaguebearers are tough but damn slow, daemonetes are nasty and annoying but they can't win whitout numbers even against eldars, and pink horrors are renowed for royally sucking at melee, to the point a normal guardsmen would actually beat the crap out of them with his lasgun as a club, but can fire powerfull volleys of fire at distance to make up for it.

What's wrong with Eldar? I would peg a single aspect warrior roughly equivalent to a smurf.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-09-23, 09:07 PM
What's wrong with Eldar? I would peg a single aspect warrior roughly equivalent to a smurf.

He probably means guardians.

Oslecamo
2009-09-24, 03:28 AM
He probably means guardians.

Yeah. It's from a chaos history where Slanesh manages to persuade an eldar to open the corrupted webways inside her own craftworld, and then send wave upon waves of daemonetes from there. The guardians of the craftworld react quickly and manage to hold the line for some time, but end up being overrun by sheer numbers and the fact that the daemonettes manage to possess the avatar of Khaine himself and send it against the eldars themselves.

Sure there were aspect guardians backing up the guardians, but they were kind of busy trying to slow down the bigger demons that came along with the daemonetes.

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-24, 11:51 AM
This is DoW II. Expect chaos forces to try to zerg rush your team and get killed whitout any effort of your part. In max dificulty. Perhaps the bosses will survive some seconds but that won't matter because your team is imortal.

Y'know, I really shouldn't be snappy or anything, but if you apparently only play the game on the easiest difficulty (what's it called again? Scout? Initiate? Trainee?), it's kinda your own fault that your soldiers have no trouble with the enemy :smalltongue:

In other words: I played on Captain, and it wasn't until I was near max-level and packing some seriously badass weaponry (i.e. 100+ base damage Heavy Bolters) and special abilities like the Dreadnought's explosive barrage that I was taking down the more badass foes like Carnifexes, Councils of Seers and Ork Nobs with ease, and even then bosses were ridiculously badass compared to my elite ultra-soldiers, who'd go down within a handful of hits). At that level, when you have elite marines in Terminator Armor or equivalent, wielding relic assault cannons or the God-Emperor's personal toy bolter, you really should be that badass; actually, the bosses should have been much weaker compared to you.
Plus, the only enemy that really used enormous (and, at the end, futile) masses of units were the Tyranids, and that's kinda their entire shtick. Eldar had squads of roughly similar size to mine, and all except the teensy weensy Guardians were pretty badass in one way or another, forcing me to counter them in a manner that their aspect couldn't react to very well.

(By the way, I'm pretty sure Eldar, rare as they are compared to humans in general, still outnumber Space Marines quite heftily, since the latter are counted in the range of, what, tens of thousands in the entire Imperium? )

Oslecamo
2009-09-24, 12:25 PM
Y'know, I really shouldn't be snappy or anything, but if you apparently only play the game on the easiest difficulty (what's it called again? Scout? Initiate? Trainee?), it's kinda your own fault that your soldiers have no trouble with the enemy :smalltongue:)

Actually, I never played in anything but primarch. And I told the scout team to go f**** themselves on the space ship since I had heard plenty of people saying they were the most imba squad.

I really never had troubles . All that increases is the enemy HP and damage. They continue as stupid as ever.

I attack-move, use a couple abilities, then retreat before the enemy can set a proper counter attack. Most of the times they don't pursue back. When they do, they're fighting an hopeless battle as I have infinite reinforcments.

So, just keep your units togheter, and you can easily focus-fire all the mooks on any map.

I then arrive at the boss. Despite being at max dificulty, the game insists on baby siting me and not only telling me when the boss will use his special attacks, but also where. I just keep moving my squad out of the way and keep attacking. I spam towers and shields to keep the pressure going.

In the case my reflexes grow slow due to the boredom and I get hit, with half my forces beind made into mince-meat, I simply retreat, quickly heal, and then jump back to finish the job.

Really someday perhaps I'll play in the easiest dificulty, just to see how much more pathetic the enemies are.

Sometimes I cleared whole maps except the boss with just the assault squad just for the lulz.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-09-27, 07:58 PM
I attack-move, use a couple abilities, then retreat before the enemy can set a proper counter attack. Most of the times they don't pursue back. When they do, they're fighting an hopeless battle as I have infinite reinforcments.

There you go. A lot of people don't have the patience to retreat a lot. I know if I retreat too much, I get bored - that's why I'm always on the move. Besides, Cyrus is only good with the Immolate ability.

Anyways, you guys should go online more often. I basically only ever see Copper8642 and Cheesegear.

Dixieboy
2009-09-28, 07:02 AM
to the point a normal guardsmen would actually beat the crap out of them with his lasgun as a club, but can fire powerfull volleys of fire at distance to make up for it.The guardsmen can and will beat the **** out of marines in melee if done right.

Copper8642
2009-09-28, 08:09 AM
Speaking of Shas always seeing Cheesegear and I on, Shas and I totally whipped arse yesterday after a 3 game losing streak. Suddenly we must have learned to play and began to win for a pretty long streak before I got hungry and went to eat. Could sure use a third gitper....

Oslecamo
2009-09-28, 08:23 AM
There you go. A lot of people don't have the patience to retreat a lot. I know if I retreat too much, I get bored - that's why I'm always on the move. Besides, Cyrus is only good with the Immolate ability.

Bah! (shakes cane)

In my time we had to hit and run all day long! And we had a base to protect! And/Or actual time limits! You new kids and your shiny graphics! In my time we were happy if we could see units at all!

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 10:03 AM
The guardsmen can and will beat the **** out of marines in melee if done right.

I thought we agreed to leave CIAPHAS CAIN (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) out of this.

Dark Faun
2009-09-28, 10:23 AM
Only bringing one new faction in the first expansion reminds me of the first Dawn of War. I hope they won't do like last time, because that would mean one faction will be missing when all the expansions are done, and I fear that will be the Sisters of Battle, aka my favorite faction. :smallfrown:

UnChosenOne
2009-09-28, 11:42 AM
I fear that will be the Sisters of Battle, aka my favorite faction. :smallfrown:
Most of us would rather see Guard in game before Sisters of Battle. But seeing any Imperial army as campaing playable faction would mostlikely be lot more intresting than playing (again) as Spess Mehreens.

Lord Herman
2009-09-28, 12:11 PM
Somewhat of a tangent, but GameReplays reports a CGI-animated Ultramarines movie is in the works (http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/portals.php?show=news&news_id=540868).

Talkkno
2009-09-28, 12:11 PM

To be fair, he had the assistance of several other guardsmen, and the Chaos Marine was restricted to his sole of his chainsword. Plus Cain only held out barely, while distracting long enough for Jurgen to get out his melta. So i wouldn't exactly say Cain beat him.

Oslecamo
2009-09-28, 12:15 PM

Speech merines(DoW II): cleaning up some random and shlitly annoying bug, fungus and elvish infestation who aren't a threat even if you let them run completely wild. In their own backyard.

Imperial guard(DoWvanilla):two guardsmen alone holded against the worst of chaos, eldars and orks for two freaking weeks.

Imperial guard(winter assault): beating the crap out of khornate sorcerors in a chaos conquered planet, outsmarting an eldar farseer, saving the ass of the space wolves, recovering an emperor titan and stoping a necron invasion all in a day's work.

Imperial guard(SS): Vance Motherf**** Stubbs and his 100 baneblades taught the spech merines how to properly recover a planetary system.

Dixieboy
2009-09-28, 12:45 PM
Somewhat of a tangent, but GameReplays reports a CGI-animated Ultramarines movie is in the works (http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/portals.php?show=news&news_id=540868).

I wonder when we'll have some material centered around the imperial fist.

Arcanoi
2009-09-28, 12:54 PM
Speech merines(DoW II): cleaning up some random and shlitly annoying bug, fungus and elvish infestation who aren't a threat even if you let them run completely wild. In their own backyard.

Imperial guard(DoWvanilla):two guardsmen alone holded against the worst of chaos, eldars and orks for two freaking weeks.

Imperial guard(winter assault): beating the crap out of khornate sorcerors in a chaos conquered planet, outsmarting an eldar farseer, saving the ass of the space wolves, recovering an emperor titan and stoping a necron invasion all in a day's work.

Imperial guard(SS): Vance Motherf**** Stubbs and his 100 baneblades taught the spech merines how to properly recover a planetary system.

None of that is melee combat. You need a certified HERO OF THE IMPERIUM(tm) to beat Chaos Space Marines in melee combat.

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 01:03 PM
None of that is melee combat. You need a certified HERO OF THE IMPERIUM(tm) to beat Chaos Space Marines in melee combat.

True.

But that just means most guardsmen aren't so dumb as to take knives to a gun fight.

Oslecamo
2009-09-28, 01:34 PM
True.

But that just means most guardsmen aren't so dumb as to take knives to a gun fight.
Indeed. Why melee when there's plenty of working ranged weaponry?

Heck, even Ogryns are given ripper shotguns!:smalltongue:

warty goblin
2009-09-28, 01:46 PM
Returning the shreds of the original topic, the first teaser (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/28/dawn-of-war-ii-chaos-rising-first-teaser/#more-18596)has gone up. It's raised being uninformative to an artform, but it confirms the presence of daemons, chaos and a planet.

I don't know about you, but that last item was a real shocker for me. Nice to see Relic really expanding the franchise there.

Off topic, but would a Battlefleet Gothic game the first, or only the second most awesome thing in the history of ever?

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 01:56 PM
Returning the shreds of the original topic, the first teaser (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/28/dawn-of-war-ii-chaos-rising-first-teaser/#more-18596)has gone up. It's raised being uninformative to an artform, but it confirms the presence of daemons, chaos and a planet.

I don't know about you, but that last item was a real shocker for me. Nice to see Relic really expanding the franchise there.

Off topic, but would a Battlefleet Gothic game the first, or only the second most awesome thing in the history of ever?

Science says...

Fifth.

Top sources cite "Dual double barreled Shotguns" and "Blood Bowl" as crucial factors in lowering the ranking.

Copper8642
2009-09-28, 02:23 PM
Science. It works, *****es!

Oslecamo
2009-09-28, 02:48 PM

Eerrr, mind pointing out what that "last item" was? Because all I saw was a chaos lord, wich, well, is kinda the minimum one would expect from a chaos expansion.

warty goblin
2009-09-28, 03:15 PM
Eerrr, mind pointing out what that "last item" was? Because all I saw was a chaos lord, wich, well, is kinda the minimum one would expect from a chaos expansion.

The last item was the, um, last item in my enumeration of things the trailer definitely featured. As I recall that was 'daemons, chaos and a planet.'

Given this, and a cursory knowlege of the previous games in the franchise, it seems safe to conclude that the intent of the comment was gentle sarcasm.

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 03:16 PM
The last item was the, um, last item in my enumeration of things the trailer definitely featured. As I recall that was 'daemons, chaos and a planet.'

Given this, and a cursory knowlege of the previous games in the franchise, it seems safe to conclude that the intent of the comment was gentle sarcasm.

Sar-cas-m?

What kinda heresy is that?

Tzeenchian? Nurgelian?

I'd wager against Khornite, but you can never be sure with these things.

Oslecamo
2009-09-28, 03:23 PM

My humble apologies. I tought you had loved DoW II, despite offering much more limited gameplay than DoW I.

Since so many people claimed DoW II to have "revolutionary" characteristics that I seem to be unable to see, then I tought the same was hapening in this trailer.

So, I think it's safe to believe that this expansion will offer principaly reskining of some units and more pointless SP farming, where no matter how much babies you kill along the way you'll still be railroaded to the same ending mission.

warty goblin
2009-09-28, 03:31 PM
My humble apologies. I tought you had loved DoW II, despite offering much more limited gameplay than DoW I.

Since so many people claimed DoW II to have "revolutionary" characteristics that I seem to be unable to see, then I tought the same was hapening in this trailer.

So, I think it's safe to believe that this expansion will offer principaly reskining of some units and more pointless SP farming, where no matter how much babies you kill along the way you'll still be railroaded to the same ending mission.

Just because I like something doesn't mean I won't make fun of it. My general philosophy is that if I'm unwilling to make a joke about something, there's a good chance I'm taking it too seriously. Doesn't apply to everything, but it's a good start.

EleventhHour
2009-09-28, 03:35 PM
Sar-cas-m?

Tzeenchian? Nurgelian?

It was Khorne! He asked one of his followers, "What, you would rather take the knife?" Of course, he ended up giving the fellow both. In the guts.

Dixieboy
2009-09-29, 12:20 AM
Science says...

Fifth.

Top sources cite "Dual double barreled Shotguns" and "Blood Bowl" as crucial factors in lowering the ranking.

40k blood bowl, what does your science say about that?

chiasaur11
2009-09-29, 12:23 AM
40k blood bowl, what does your science say about that?

Apparently:

"Sqwark! Awesomeness overload, awesomeness overload!"

Man, I still need to get this thing recalibrated.
I meant to do it after it exploded from Halo ODST's casting of Nathan Fillion, but I stopped a tad early.

Dixieboy
2009-09-29, 12:29 AM
So you recalibrate science on a regular basis? :smalleek:

On a related note: Is there anything about which chaos legions the expansion will feature?

Brother Oni
2009-09-29, 01:51 AM
Sar-cas-m?

Tzeenchian? Nurgelian?

He mentioned gentle, so I'd wager Slanneshi.

On a related note: Is there anything about which chaos legions the expansion will feature?
I believe it's the Black Legion (or some other similiar undivided chaos chapter).

Dark Faun
2009-09-30, 12:43 PM
I really, really hope they'll get rid of the "you exit a mission, you lose the mission and lose one day" thing.

warty goblin
2009-09-30, 01:37 PM
I really, really hope they'll get rid of the "you exit a mission, you lose the mission and lose one day" thing.

I actually kinda liked that bit. Makes a person pick their battles, which is always a good thing in my book. My only complaint was the lack of a save option in the middle of a mission. I can see not wanting people to quicksave whore their way through a mission, but that's solved by copying a page from Mount and Blade's book, and requiring one to exit the game to save and only having one save slot.

Also I'd like it if this time a third of the missions didn't cause my computer to spontaniously reboot itself it that's not too much of a bother.

Oslecamo
2009-09-30, 02:16 PM
I actually kinda liked that bit. Makes a person pick their battles, which is always a good thing in my book.

Made completely useless because you lose nothing but some points for failing a mission.

The missions you failed will eventually appear again if not immediatily. The nids will never conquer the worlds, the orks will never overrun everything, the eldars will never set their masterplan in motion, and your chapter reinforcments will never arrive untill you do the last mission. Wich, if you try to fail in purpose(since it's so easy), still doesn't make you to lose the game. You'll never actually lose any combat capacity, never lose items, or experience, neither the enemies will actually get stronger for your errors. Ok, you lose the shrines and factories and whatnot, but you really don't need them in the first place.

It's even worst than in Supreme comander, where if you failed a mission in the campaign mode you still had the option to move on to the next. At least they showed your comander going boom while your allies screamed in agony and the briefing told that your faction was now f**** up due to your failure.

Would it be so hard for relic to do a "game over" screen for DoW? Would it?

(Also, for a game with such pretty graphics, it's a complete crime that you cannot save your favorite moments so you could play trough them again whitout need of redoing the campaign all over)

warty goblin
2009-09-30, 03:45 PM
Made completely useless because you lose nothing but some points for failing a mission.

The missions you failed will eventually appear again if not immediatily. The nids will never conquer the worlds, the orks will never overrun everything, the eldars will never set their masterplan in motion, and your chapter reinforcments will never arrive untill you do the last mission. Wich, if you try to fail in purpose(since it's so easy), still doesn't make you to lose the game. You'll never actually lose any combat capacity, never lose items, or experience, neither the enemies will actually get stronger for your errors. Ok, you lose the shrines and factories and whatnot, but you really don't need them in the first place.

Indeed, the system could stand to be much, much more harsh, particularly on the harder difficulties. Making it easier by not costing you a day for quitting a battle however would probably not solve that particular complaint.

It's even worst than in Supreme comander, where if you failed a mission in the campaign mode you still had the option to move on to the next. At least they showed your comander going boom while your allies screamed in agony and the briefing told that your faction was now f**** up due to your failure.
Can't speak to SupCom, as I never really played it. Tried the demo, felt overwhelmed by infinite apathy, moved on. It's probably a game that I'd really enjoy if I actually got into it, as moving humongeous armies around makes my day, but I've never had the time, and Sins of a Solar Empire does it so damn well. I've heard AI War: Fleet Command also does this well, but haven't tried it yet.

Would it be so hard for relic to do a "game over" screen for DoW? Would it?

Think about what would happen if they did add a game over screen. You'd go back, load a game from before you failed, and try again. It's the same effect, only with, in all likelihood, another loading screen and all pretense at generating a single nondivergent narrative shot to hell. Plus, DoWII single player is about two things: Kicking ass, and kicking more ass. Failure and loading screens don't contribute to this at all.

(Also, for a game with such pretty graphics, it's a complete crime that you cannot save your favorite moments so you could play trough them again whitout need of redoing the campaign all over)
Now that I agree on.

Dark Faun
2009-10-01, 06:30 AM
So losing a day doesn't actually have an effect? Okay.

I agree that the inability to save your favorite moments is trying, though I guess you could copy the savegame before the mission you like somewhere for ulterior use, but that would require prior knowledge of the missions and thus can't really be done on the first playthrough.

Something I'd have liked would have been an ability to start over the game when you finish it, while keeping your experience and items (and making the enemies much tougher to not make the second playthrough a piece of cake). I'd have liked the commander to use a heavy bolter in the first mission. :D

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-06, 04:45 PM
Play on primarch difficulty then - only allowed FC, Avitus, Cyrus and Dreadnought - also, they all have to be melee builds. Even Avitus.