PDA

View Full Version : Help me homebrew a class!

Anung Un Rama
2009-09-21, 02:44 PM
Ok, so I want to homebrew a new base class, focused around the use of a specific magical weapon which they choose at 1st level and then progresses in power as they do. I was currently thinking;

BAB:fighter HD:d8
Skill Pts:2+int per lvl
Class Skills:Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), craft (weapons), Spellcraft

I was thinking maybe in terms of background, that theyre granted these weapons by a specific god or powerful outsider, maybe gaining various other magical artifacts at higher levels. I am also acutely aware of the possibility that once at high levels, given that characters gain magic items during questing, this class will be rendered useless as everyone else will have magic weapons too-if anyone has any ideas on how to solve this, it would be much appreciated.

But I'm pretty bad at balancing classes and I'm not sure on what other class abilities they should have, whether they should be casters and how to make sure theyre not overpowered. If you have any thoughts or if you've seen another homebrew class like this (I'll be honest, its not the most original idea) please, chip in. Thanks

The Witch-King
2009-09-21, 02:52 PM
Have you looked at the Soulknife (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm) class? Some re-fluffing and you might have exactly what you're looking for.

Waargh!
2009-09-21, 02:54 PM
The Kensai PrC from Complete Warrior also offers this option and its a good class

Anung Un Rama
2009-09-21, 03:05 PM
awesome, thanks :smallbiggrin: thats gonna be pretty easy to change about

EdroGrimshell
2009-09-21, 03:41 PM
The feats ancestral relic (BoED) and item familiar (UA) also offer a similar option. I usually go fighter/kensai, soulknife/kensai, or monk/kensai along with the two to get a pretty good character.

Anung Un Rama
2009-09-21, 03:54 PM
Cool. Unfortunately my DM has a ban on psionics so im gonna rework soulknife so that the mindblade becomes a summoned weapon granted by some kind of powerful outsider or divine being.