PDA

View Full Version : Ten Scroll Sage [3.5 Base Class] (PEACH)

Lysander
2009-09-21, 05:01 PM
Here's an idea for a base class. Very specific class with some very unusual powers and abilities, most potently the ability to become immune to one specific spell level at a time. Only a single spell per level each day, but decent combat and mastery over magic. Your thoughts are welcome.

----------

Ten Scroll Sages are magical researchers that delve into the fundamental workings of magic, learning all there is to know about spell levels and how they function. Most TSS seek to learn as many spells as possible, even though the number of spells they can employ in a day is quite limited.

TSS's have no spellbook, instead they cast spells from ten scrolls they create over their careers. Each scroll is keyed to a single spell level, and can only cast one spell per day. For a TSS sometimes not casting spells is the better option. Their scrolls grant them a great deal of control and protection from the various levels of spells when unused.

In counterpoint to a TSS's low number of daily spells is their spell list, which is the most fluid in existence. A TSS automatically learns to cast any spell they observe, from almost any class, just by seeing it.

As explorers who seek out new spells TSS are rather hardy individuals, at least compared to other spellcasters. They can choose either Charisma or Intelligence as their spellcasting stat, which affects a few abilities but not number of spells per day.

Ten Scroll Sage

Hit Die
d6.

Skills
The Ten Scroll Sage’s class skills are Appraise, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Magic Device, Use Rope

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Scrolls
1|0|0|2|2|Summon Familiar, Scribe Scroll, Memorize Spell, Detect Magic|0,1|
2|1|0|3|3|Level Block|0,1|
3|2|1|3|3|Illuminating Scroll|0,1,2|
4|3|1|4|4|Scroll Shield|0,1,2|
5|3|1|4|4| |0,1,2,3|
6|4|2|5|5|Scroll Attack|0,1,2,3|
7|5|2|5|5| |0,1,2,3,4|
8|6/1|2|6|6|Spontaneous Scroll|0,1,2,3,4|
9|6/1|3|6|6| |0,1,2,3,4,5|
10|7/2|3|7|7|Arcane Sight, Stow Scroll|0,1,2,3,4,5|
11|8/3|3|7|7| |0,1,2,3,4,5,6|
12|9/4|4|8|8|Scroll Counterspelling|0,1,2,3,4,5,6|
13|9/4|4|8|8| |0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7|
14|10/5|4|9|9|Scroll Dispelling|0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7|
15|11/6/1|5|9|9| |0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8|
16|12/7/2|5|10|10|Scroll Switch, Analyze Dweomer|0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8|
17|12/7/2|5|10|10| |0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9|
18|13/8/3|6|11|11|Scroll Disjunction|0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9|
19|14/9/4|6|11|11|Floating Scroll |0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9|
20|15/10/5|6|12|12|Blank Block|0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9|
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A TSS is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip. TSS are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields). A TSS can cast TSS spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a TSS wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield (other than the Scroll Shield ability) incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do). A multiclass TSS still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Spells: The Ten Scrolls
The Ten Scroll Sage produces ten scrolls over the course of their studies, each representing the magical frequency and potency of a different spell level. At level 1 a TSS has one level 0 scroll and one level 1 scroll and creates more over time. Creating one of these class scrolls (but not other normal magical scrolls) requires no xp or material cost other than ink and parchment. A TSS can only have one scroll of each level at a time but can replace them if lost or destroyed.

A TSSS picks one spell of each level they can cast and binds it to the scroll of that level. That scroll now bears that spell, and can be cast as normal. Only a TSS can use their own class scrolls. Once cast the scroll turns blank and cannot be used until after 8 hours of rest. This allows the TSS to cast a single spell of each level in a typical day. A TSS's class level is their caster level.

After resting a TSS can place a new spell on their blank class scrolls, or change the spell on their unspent class scrolls. Even when blank and useless a class scroll is still a magical item. The spells are drawn from the TSS's memorized list (see below).

Ten Scroll Sages can use metamagic feats, applying the spell to the scroll of the adjusted level.

Memorize Spell
Anytime a Ten Scroll Sage observes the effect or the casting of an arcane or divine spell or reads it in a spellbook or scroll, if they can identify the spell with a Spellcraft check or with their Analyze Dweomer ability add that spell to their spell list. This applies even to spell levels they cannot cast yet, allowing them to cast those spells once they can create a scroll of that power. A TSS also learns a number arcane or divine spell of their choice that they can cast equal to their spellcasting stat (CHA or INT) upon being able to scribe a class scroll of a new level.

Summon Familiar
A Ten Scroll Sage can summon a familiar just as a sorcerer.

Scribe Scroll
A Ten Scroll Sage receives Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat. This feat is not used to create their ten class scrolls however but normal magical scrolls.

Detect Magic
A Ten Scroll Sage gains Detect Magic as a spell-like ability at will.

Level Block
A TSS can hold one class scroll unfurled in one hand and gains complete impenetrable personal magical immunity to all spells of that scroll's level. Spells of lower or higher levels affect them as normal. Switching to another scroll to use the Block Level ability requires a move action, even if another scroll is already held unfurled in their second hand. A readied action can be used to throw up a scroll defensively in response to whatever spell level an enemy uses. This ability only functions with a scroll that has not been cast yet. The exception to this ability is Mage's Disjunction, which has a 1% chance per caster level of disjuncting a level 9 TSS scroll and affecting them normally. The scrolls strongly radiate with magic, allowing anyone capable of casting Detect Magic (even if not currently cast) to see precisely what level it blocks.

Illuminating Scroll
As a swift action a TSS can make a single held unspent class scroll glow with golden light. Suppressing this light is a free action. Scrolls level 0-4 glow with the light of a candle, 5-8 glow with the light of a torch, level nine scrolls glow with the light of a hooded lantern. This light has a use beyond illumination though. If a scroll's light is cast on magical writing of that scroll's level, the TSS can read the writing as if using Read Magic. The writing's level is either the level of the spell it contains or the level of the spell used to create the writing. A TSS may have to test out each of their scrolls if they don't know the level of the writing. An illuminated scroll can simultaneously be used with other TSS abilities.

Scroll Shield
The scrolls can be used to channel magical energy and create shields of force. A TSS can hold one class scroll unfurled in one hand and add their spellcasting stat's bonus (either CHA or INT) to their AC, up to the spell level of that scroll. For example, a TSS with a +4 bonus holding a level 3 scroll would only receive +3 to AC and that TSS holding a level 5 scroll would only receive a +4 bonus. This only functions with scrolls that have not been cast yet. The scroll shield can be the same scroll used for the Level Block ability, if a different scroll then each scroll occupies a separate hand. A scroll used for a scroll shield is encased in protective force and can only be damaged by effects that could destroy a Wall of Force, nor can the TSS be disarmed of that scroll.

Scroll Attack
A Ten Scroll Sage can channel power from their class scrolls into their own bodies to improve their speed in combat. They can discard spells from as many class scrolls as they wish as free action, and add the cumulative spell level to their attack bonus for their first attack each round. This bonus persists for a number of minutes equal to the spell level of the lowest discarded scroll.

Spontaneous Scroll
A TSS can discard a class scroll spell to achieve any one of these affects:
*Empower, heighten by two levels, or extend any spell of that scroll's level cast by anyone within 20 feet the by next round. A spell that already has a metamagic effect applied to it counts as having the increased spell level.
*Counterspell any spell of that scroll's level.
*Cast Dispel Magic, but only affecting spells of that scroll's level. Higher or lower level spells will be bypassed.

Arcane Sight
A Ten Scroll Sage's Detect Magic ability improves to function like Arcane Sight as a spell-like ability at will.

Stow Scroll
A TSS can place any of their class scrolls into extradimensional storage and summon it to their hand at will as a spell-like ability. For mechanical purposes doing so is considered exactly the same as retrieving or stowing the scroll in a bag, except once stowed it is no longer on your body.

Scroll Counterspelling
As a free action a Ten Scroll Sage can counterspell any spell currently on one of their class scrolls without using up the scroll.

Scroll Dispelling
A Ten Scroll Sage can use an unspent class scroll to cast Greater Dispel Magic affecting only spells of that scroll's level without using up the scroll. This ability can be used once per day with each scroll.

Scroll Switch
Once per day with each class scroll a Ten Scroll Sage can swap any unspent spell with any spell of that level they know. This can be used to cast a spell they have just learned.

Analyze Dweomer
A TSS gains the spell-like ability to use Analyze Dweomer at will, but only pertaining to active spells and not permanent magical items.

Scroll Disjunction
A TSS can discard any ready class scroll spell to cast Mage's Disjunction, but only affecting spells of that scroll's level. This version of Mage's Disjunction cannot affect permanent magic items.

Floating Scroll
A TSS can have one class scroll float next to them in mid-air, and treat it as if it were held for the purpose of casting it or using any class ability. This primarily just frees up their hand. Stow Scroll can be used to stow a floating scroll or summon a scroll directly into midair.

Blank Block
At level 20 a Ten Scroll Sage's Level Block ability improves to function even with already spent class scrolls.

dragonfan6490
2009-09-21, 07:56 PM
Fantastic idea. This looks really good and makes a new use for scrolls.

1dominator
2009-09-21, 08:51 PM
Very cool and unique idea, I think it might be slightly underpowered.

On another note for the level block ability, perhaps it should require a spellcraft check to find out what level spell is being cast at you and then a reflex save to throw up the appropriate scroll?

DragoonWraith
2009-09-21, 09:36 PM
Does Memorize Spell require the usual Spellcraft check to recognize and identify a spell?

Lysander
2009-09-21, 09:59 PM
Very cool and unique idea, I think it might be slightly underpowered.

On another note for the level block ability, perhaps it should require a spellcraft check to find out what level spell is being cast at you and then a reflex save to throw up the appropriate scroll?

A reflex save might not be a bad idea but as you say, I'm worried that the class is too weak as is. You do need a spellcraft check to identify the spell targeting you though, unless you pull out a scroll at random and hope you luck out with the right level. One strategy in battles might be just to take out the scroll with the highest level spell you believe your opponent can cast and keep it out, doing nothing that spends it. Congrats, you've just become immune to your enemy's most powerful spells for the entire battle.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is also really good for bypassing magical traps like a Symbol of Death. If you can identify the trap you can just take out the correct scroll and safely walk ahead of your allies to trip it (although you have to worry about any other traps that might be there).

Does Memorize Spell require the usual Spellcraft check to recognize and identify a spell?

Hmm, that seems like a good requirement. I'll put it in. At level 16 you gain a version of Analyze Dweomer as a spell-like ability and the requirement no longer applies though.

DracoDei
2009-09-21, 10:18 PM
Very interesting class, I like it.

Consider giving them protections against disarming/sundering of scrolls held.

Probably bump up the heightening function to +2 levels at least.

Lysander
2009-09-22, 12:15 AM
Very interesting class, I like it.

Consider giving them protections against disarming/sundering of scrolls held.

Probably bump up the heightening function to +2 levels at least.

Good ideas. I improved Scroll Shield to provide protection to the scroll used (which makes sense since it encases the scroll in force).

Lysander
2009-09-22, 01:00 AM
I filled in the previously dead level 19 with Floating Scroll, which just frees them from having to hold a scroll. They can use their now free hand to hold an additional scroll (merely to have it out and save a move action later), or to be able to hold two objects or a two-handed weapon. This doesn't let them maintain two spell shields or anything else like that, those abilities only function with a single scroll at a time.

DracoDei
2009-09-22, 04:18 AM
Sounds good to me...

I would consider also giving them Read Magic as an at-will, or at least a nice hefty bonus to Spellcraft checks to decypher scrolls...

Lysander
2009-09-22, 09:38 AM
Sounds good to me...

I would consider also giving them Read Magic as an at-will, or at least a nice hefty bonus to Spellcraft checks to decypher scrolls...

I added the Illuminated Scroll ability at level 3. I figure they're pretty weak at low levels and can use an additional ability. Essentially the Illuminated Scroll (in addition to being light source) lets them use Read Magic at will, but like their other abilities each scroll only decrypts writing of its own level. Plus it's a nice visual image, a scholarly magician wandering through a dark library or cave by the light of their scroll.

You know, it occurs to me that a Ten Scroll Sage would be a wizard player's best friend. Their Memorize ability would let them scribe scrolls for wizard ally to learn. As soon as an enemy mage casts a spell the Wizard would lean over and ask "Did you get it?" And then the TSS would nod and they'd high five.

DracoDei
2009-09-22, 06:15 PM
I added the Illuminated Scroll ability at level 3. I figure they're pretty weak at low levels and can use an additional ability. Essentially the Illuminated Scroll (in addition to being light source) lets them use Read Magic at will, but like their other abilities each scroll only decrypts writing of its own level. Plus it's a nice visual image, a scholarly magician wandering through a dark library or cave by the light of their scroll.
Eh... I might even try that at first... 3 specific 0th level utility spells at will (Light(equivalent), Read Magic, and Detect Magic), one zeroth level spell of choice, and one first level spell of choice, with no bonus spells... not that great... I guess once you throw in the weapon and armor proficiencies, leaving it at 3rd might make sense...

You know, it occurs to me that a Ten Scroll Sage would be a wizard player's best friend. Their Memorize ability would let them scribe scrolls for wizard ally to learn. As soon as an enemy mage casts a spell the Wizard would lean over and ask "Did you get it?" And then the TSS would nod and they'd high five.
Well... one should wait until the battle is over, and the wizard is still going to have a Spellcraft check (with a bonus for the TSS teaching them) to roll before they can ACTUALLY cast the spell... wait, if the spell isn't even on the TSS scroll (because they have something else on it) then it can't be copied, now can it? I suppose since learning new spells generally takes a day or three anyway that the TSS could just leave an appropriate spell scribed for a few days at a time during down time before switching out to the next one.

Lysander
2009-09-22, 10:32 PM
Well... one should wait until the battle is over, and the wizard is still going to have a Spellcraft check (with a bonus for the TSS teaching them) to roll before they can ACTUALLY cast the spell... wait, if the spell isn't even on the TSS scroll (because they have something else on it) then it can't be copied, now can it? I suppose since learning new spells generally takes a day or three anyway that the TSS could just leave an appropriate spell scribed for a few days at a time during down time before switching out to the next one.

A wizard couldn't copy the spells from a TSS's class scrolls, but the TSS gets the scribe scroll feat. They could scribe their memorized spells onto normal scrolls that a wizard could consume to copy to their spellbook.