PDA

View Full Version : Ray of scrying (Level 4 Cleric, Wizard/Sorcerer spell)

Pigkappa
2009-09-21, 05:41 PM
I had posted this in the wrong forum, sorry for that. I'm just copying the text here. Tell me what you think about it :smallwink:

(I am new to the forum: hello to everyone! :smallbiggrin:. OOTS is fantastic!)

This is a spell I invented for an important NPC in a campaign I am thinking of (some of the words used in the spell description may be wrong (is that called "duration"? I mean how long that lasts), and that may also be true for some of the other words in this post. I am Italian and so are my manuals, feel free to correct me if it is necessary):

Ray of scrying:
Divination (Scrying)
Cleric 4, Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Range: Medium
Effect: one ray (requires a ranged touch attack)
Components: V, S, (Divine Focus for clerics)
Casting time: standard action
Saving throw: will negates; see below
Duration: permanent
Spell resistance: yes

If someone is hit by the Ray of scrying and his saving throw fails, he will be permanently under the scrying attention of the caster. Whenever he wants, the caster will be able to decide to scry on the victim (requires concentration), being able to see and listen what happens nearby the target. Every time the caster tries to scry on the target, the target receives a Will save; if it succeds, the caster can't scry on him for the next 24 hours (but the target remains unaware of what happened).
If someone has been affected by a Ray of scrying and is in the Individuation of Magic line of sight of another person, he will be seen in a weak area of Divination magic. The effect of this spell can be removed by Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic. If someone under a Nondetection spell is hit by a Ray of scrying, the Ray has no effect. If someone under a Ray of scrying receives a Nondetection spell (or a similar effect) he can't be scryed for as long as that spell lasts, but the effect of the Ray of scrying will work again when that spell vanishes.
The ray is purple and it shines, so that when this spell is used in a fight, the character will understand that something has hit him (he will also feel strange for a few seconds, so that he knows that something went wrong even if he is blind).

Maybe this should be a 5th level spell for Clerics, since wizards specialized in Divination should be better then them at scrying other people.

Douglas
2009-09-21, 05:43 PM
Er, this is still the same forum.

holywhippet
2009-09-21, 05:51 PM
I don't know about the permanent part - permanency is a level 5 wizard spell and it seems like you are attaching it to a level 4 spell.

There is an item in 3rd edition but I forget the exact name (unblockable amulet of location?). Basically it makes the person holding it always able to be found via scrying. My current DM applied it to an item in a 3.0 location but added in an at will augury spell. Since identify in 3.0 only detects the lowest level enchantment the players never realised this really useful item let their enemy scry on them at will.

taltamir
2009-09-21, 07:05 PM
I don't know about the permanent part - permanency is a level 5 wizard spell and it seems like you are attaching it to a level 4 spell.

There is an item in 3rd edition but I forget the exact name (unblockable amulet of location?). Basically it makes the person holding it always able to be found via scrying. My current DM applied it to an item in a 3.0 location but added in an at will augury spell. Since identify in 3.0 only detects the lowest level enchantment the players never realised this really useful item let their enemy scry on them at will.

permanency also costs XP to cast. On the other hand, there are some permanent spells out there... like
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/BalefulPolymorph.htm

Baleful polymorph is level 5, it CAN kill a creature if you polymorph it, to say, a fish on land... but it gets a +4 to save if that is the case...

Actually this is a well written spell. It only lasts until that person casts dispel magic anyways... so really its major use would be casting it on unaware people, or on people who are too low level to acquire a dispel.

Maybe this should be a 5th level spell for Clerics, since wizards specialized in Divination should be better then them at scrying other people.
Not all wizards specialize in divination.