PDA

View Full Version : Help optimizing my sniper/archer (3.5/Pathfinder)

Drothmal
2009-09-21, 06:46 PM
My group uses core classes/skills/spells from pathfinder, but all other 3.5 books are available. No homebrews allowed

I want to make a character whose main focus is to be able to sneak around and deal a ton of damage on one shot to the enemies with a ranged weapon (preferably a bow). I want to be able to one shot (or as close as possible) tough enemies and casters.

My first instinct was to look at a fighter with a few rogue levels, but I've never been convinced about using sneak attacks (please feel free to correct me, but I just see them as too limited in when you can use them and against whom you can use it against). So far I've settled on a psi-warrior that uses powers to hide (chameleon) and deal more damage (psioninc shot, dissolving weapon). But I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Thus, I'm asking people that know more than I

a) what do they think of my build
b) if it could be improved with minor changes (feats, powers, one level dips)
c) if I'm not forgetting some quintessential archer class

Character creation rules

lvl5
Starting stats: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8
core pathfinder races
No flaws/places that five free feats

My character

Human
Psi-Warrior 5
Stats: 16, 20, 10, 12, 14, 8
Feats (7): Point blank shot, rapid shot, precise shot, psionic shot, wild talent, psionic meditation, monkey grip
Powers: Chameleon, force screen, extend range, precognition (offenstive), envenom weapon, levitate (psionic)

The basic tactic I envisioned with this character is to hide using the chameleon power, get close to the target and use envenom weapon on the large bow (thanks to the monkey grip) and releasing a rapid shot with the psionic shot on the first shot. If both hit, it would be 10d6 (8d6 the first shot, 2d6 the second)+ STRx2. After the surprise round, the high dex could give initiative (maybe Imp. init would be worth looking into), allowing to refocus with the move action and attack again with the rapid shot (4d6 the first shot, 2d6 the second).
If all 4 attacks hit, this would be around 16d6 + STRx4

Like I said, I think this is a good idea in terms of damage output. But I would like to get some opinions if there are any practical ways of optimizing this further. I'm not sure if I'll take it to order of the bow initiate later or if I'll stick to the psi-warrior for the powers and possibilities of augmentation

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any help that you can provide!

Drothmal

Charlie Kemek
2009-09-21, 07:12 PM
stats as Wis>Str>Con>Dex>Int>Cha
take Zen Archery (adds wis to ranged attack rolls instead of Dex)
get expansion
look here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19539114/Psychic_Warrior_Build_Guide_38_Compendium_Revised)
but yeah. psychic warrior is one of the three good options for an archer. not too bad.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-21, 07:14 PM
If you decide to do one big attack: Vital Strike can be used at range.

Drothmal
2009-09-21, 08:28 PM
stats as Wis>Str>Con>Dex>Int>Cha
take Zen Archery (adds wis to ranged attack rolls instead of Dex)
get expansion
look here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19539114/Psychic_Warrior_Build_Guide_38_Compendium_Revised)
but yeah. psychic warrior is one of the three good options for an archer. not too bad.

I had thought about it, but I wasn't sure if doing that would not hinder the sneaking part of the character... If I end up with a low dex, I would probably end up using a heavier armor, which combined with a small dex, it would be harder to sneak around...

On the other hand, it does give me extra pp to use chameleon, which more than compensates for the lack of dex.... Mmmm, I'll think ab out it

Vital strike is on my list of feats to get. The problem is that this is a very feat intensive build... The next feats I was thinking of were greater psi shot (lvl 7) and manyshot (lvl 8). Afterwards, there's a feat that allows to treat a bow as a weapon with range 30'. Combined with combat reflexes, a high dex could produce a lot of damage...

My problem right now is that this is a very feat intensive build... Should I take a few levels in fighter? It would make my BAB progress faster and would give those feats I need. On the other hand, that would sacrifice powers an power points...

Are there any good prestige classes I should be considering?

PinkysBrain
2009-09-21, 09:20 PM
If your DM allows swift spells from wands as swift actions (Rules Compendium removed the minimum standard action, which was really just a hold over from when swift spells didn't exist which Pathfinder should have removed too) then definitely get UMD ... the ranger archery spells are very good.

Drothmal
2009-09-21, 09:25 PM
Since it's pathfinder take UMD ... the ranger spell list is just incredibly good.

UMD? I'm not sure what that is...

EnnPeeCee
2009-09-21, 09:25 PM
I know you said you didn't like sneak attacks, but should you decide to go down that course, the Halfling Rogue substitution levels from RotW are great for snipers.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-21, 09:27 PM
UMD? I'm not sure what that is...
Use Magic Device ... so you can use a wand of hunter's mercy for instance (a spell which if your next attack hits makes it an automatic crit). Even if you can't use a wand as a swift action Hunter's Mercy (from Spell Compendium) alone is worth the skill points. It will make your first strike from hiding devestating (get a couple of arrows enhanced with acidic burst and heavenly burst, and maybe some other X burst, from magic item compendium for when you use it).

With swift spells in the picture there are a lot more ranger spells which would be nice to have wands/scrolls of. Magic of Eberron has a handy item to get wands as free actions for casting these spells, the Wand Bracelet (dungeonscape also has a cheap weapon modification to store one wand in a weapon, the wand chamber).