PDA

View Full Version : [4E] marks/divine challenge mechanics

Bagelz
2009-09-21, 07:34 PM
I heard some rumors that paladins divine challenge either stacks or isn't removed by another class's mark. Anyone know how this works?

Gralamin
2009-09-21, 07:39 PM
I heard some rumors that paladins divine challenge either stacks or isn't removed by another class's mark. Anyone know how this works?

There are some daily powers (From Divine Power) that puts on marks that cannot be overridden. Otherwise, they can be. Divine power, by the way, is a good book to get if you like Paladin's, since it Introduces Divine Sanctum.

Thajocoth
2009-09-21, 07:41 PM

It doesn't. A mark supersedes another. Divine Challenge, Fighter Mark, Swordmage's Aegis, Warden Mark, or even that At-Will Bard's have that mark an enemy for someone else overwrite all other marks. There is, rarely, a power that will mark and will stack with other marks... But those are generally side effects of dailies that explain the whole thing. (I've seen this in a Swordmage power. I forget which one.) Also, Fighters can choose not to mark an enemy they hit.

Yakk
2009-09-21, 08:41 PM
RAW says all marks override each other.

This came into play because of double-mark ping-pong tactics on the part of alpha/beta testers -- two defenders mark a creature, and they are all of a sudden being better damage dealers than strikers.

If you choose, you can instead fix this by changing the wording on all mark effects from "if you make an attack that does not include the creator of the mark" to "if you make an attack that does not include at least one of your mark's creators", the game functions.

Managing marks gets a tad more complex, but "more realistic" in a sense. A fighter and a paladin and a swordmage can both mark a monster, and the monster can attack any or all without being punished by any.

But that would most decidedly be a house rule.