PDA

View Full Version : Dear Giant... (about the attack)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-21, 07:46 PM
After Inkirius filed for divorce, I wondered how much of a case he had.

That made me wonder what the black dragon did to the family.

Even though V isn't disputing the charges, I was wondering if you would give us at least a general view of what happened (at least past what's obvious). I am asking you this partly because I know you explained the Miko battle.

Sincerely,
GWG.

BatRobin
2009-09-21, 07:51 PM
Read the last 50 comics or so again.

ABD almost crucified Kyrie and broke the kids's arms and legs. V also refused to turn good again and went against K in every way possible, after commiting one of the most evil acts ever (V FLIPPIN' KILLED BABY DRAGONS! AND THERE HAD TO BE SOME GOOD DRAGONS THERE!!!).

That's why the divorce happened/is happening.

But I still think this divorce thing is a hoax sent from Tyrinia, just to upset the Order.

Catch
2009-09-21, 07:52 PM
After Inkirius filed for divorce, I wondered how much of a case he had.

That made me wonder what the black dragon did to the family.

I think it's pretty clear. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0636.html)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-21, 07:57 PM
I was actually hoping Mr. Berlew could be a bit more specific (say, why Inky thought that there was any chance that the kids might be less not okay by staying quiet when the dragon was IN SIGHT.)

[TS] Shadow
2009-09-21, 08:00 PM
But I still think this divorce thing is a hoax sent from Tyrinia, just to upset the Order.

Ummm...WHAT?

Okay, this is one of the most baseless things I've EVER seen, even from this forum (the one that constantly thinks that the MitD is the Snarl. Ugh.) Tyrinia doesn't know at least 2/3 of the Order, and only has significant motive against one member (Haley.) Even that one's weak; if she pays, they'll give up Ian, if she doesn't, they won't. They have no idea who she works for or with and they have no reason to care.

Anyway, on topic, V, as shown in comic, was kind of a jerk to Kyrie in the past, and his actions as Evil V simply threw her (Kyrie) over the edge. That's why she filled for divorce, and V's going along with it because
a) He doesn't have time to deal with it when the fate of the world is on the line.
b) It's a self punishment for his actions as Evil V.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-21, 08:19 PM
Shadow;6974140']Ummm...WHAT?

Okay, this is one of the most baseless things I've EVER seen, even from this forum (the one that constantly thinks that the MitD is the Snarl. Ugh.) Tyrinia doesn't know at least 2/3 of the Order, and only has significant motive against one member (Haley.) Even that one's weak; if she pays, they'll give up Ian, if she doesn't, they won't. They have no idea who she works for or with and they have no reason to care.
I agree that it's silly, but how do we know that Tyrania doesn't know about the rest of the Order? Now who's making "baseless" theories?

Anyway, on topic, V, as shown in comic, was kind of a jerk to Kyrie in the past, and his actions as Evil V simply threw her (Kyrie) over the edge. That's why she filled for divorce, and V's going along with it because
a) He doesn't have time to deal with it when the fate of the world is on the line.
b) It's a self punishment for his actions as Evil V.
Doesn't make me less curious as to more details. And, I know, curiosity killed the cat. However, I am a dragon.

Shale
2009-09-21, 08:31 PM
Tyrinia? You mean Tyrinar?

Bogardan_Mage
2009-09-21, 08:45 PM
Tyrinia? You mean Tyrinar?
Tyrinar the man, or Tyrinaria the country. Either would work.

Atronach
2009-09-21, 08:50 PM
ABD almost crucified Kyrie and broke the kids's arms and legs. V also refused to turn good again and went against K in every way possible, after commiting one of the most evil acts ever (V FLIPPIN' KILLED BABY DRAGONS! AND THERE HAD TO BE SOME GOOD DRAGONS THERE!!!).

I do not think that is why Inkyrius is divorcing Vaarsuvius. I believe that she/he is divorcing him/her because 1. Vaarsuvius sold his/her soul to fiends.2. Vaarsuvius did not assist his/her family when they needed him/her the most, and 3. When Vaarsuvius was in Ivyleaf he/she did not always notice when Inkyrius was trying to spend time with him/her. Also, I believe the dragons are irrelevant, and do not affect Inkyrius' decision at all. If you look at the Monstrous Manual, black dragons are evil, regardless of age. 4, now that I think about it, in Dungeons and Dragons, if you do a few evil acts your alignment does not suddenly change. We could debate for a while about whether or not Vaarsuvius' decision was evil or not, and I think he/she did the right thing, whether you choose to ponder what I have said, or not is your decision, however I think I made my point.

Salty
2009-09-21, 09:35 PM
(V FLIPPIN' KILLED BABY DRAGONS! AND THERE HAD TO BE SOME GOOD DRAGONS THERE!!!).

Roy, Miko, Elan and I disagree. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0207.html) And odds are this is one of the only things both Roy and Miko agree upon. :smallbiggrin:

One Skunk Todd
2009-09-21, 09:39 PM
I was actually hoping Mr. Berlew could be a bit more specific (say, why Inky thought that there was any chance that the kids might be less not okay by staying quiet when the dragon was IN SIGHT.)

<nitpick>
Probably more likely to get a response if you spell his name right: Burlew
</nitipick>

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-21, 09:44 PM
You know, there IS another thread about V's divorce.

Sholos
2009-09-21, 10:02 PM
I don't think the details of the attack are necessary. The entire point of revealing the details behind Miko's defeat of the party was to show that she was a valid threat and didn't just win through power of plot. Here, it's obvious that the dragon can do whatever the heck she wants with impunity. At least, until V shows up, and then the focus is on V's actions, not the dragon's.

tl;dr - Details aren't needed because they're not important.

SadisticFishing
2009-09-21, 11:12 PM
1. Giant unstoppable force of cosmic evil appears.
2. ???
3. Inky's crucified and the children have broken legs.

Is ??? really relevant? The dragon clearly broke their legs and crucified Inky. There's very little else to it - that's not a combat. That's a giant unstoppable force of cosmic evil against an apprentice baker and two children.

SPoD
2009-09-21, 11:27 PM
I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

dps
2009-09-22, 01:09 AM
Shadow;6974140']Ummm...WHAT?

Heck, for a long time, even V's teammates didn't know that V was married. It seems a huge leap to assume that the dicator of a nation on a different continent would know.

And I'm not sure what the motivation would be for disrupting the order anyway. Lord Tyrinar, one would think, wants Haley to pay the ransom. That would argue against him doing things to impede her coming to him.

David Argall
2009-09-22, 01:11 AM
I agree that it's silly, but how do we know that Tyrania doesn't know about the rest of the Order?

How would they? And why would they care? As has been pointed out, right now, they wish Haley and companions well. They get a big pile of gold if Haley prospers, and so they are not going to give her any trouble.

factotum
2009-09-22, 01:40 AM
How would they? And why would they care? As has been pointed out, right now, they wish Haley and companions well. They get a big pile of gold if Haley prospers, and so they are not going to give her any trouble.

And more to the point, we've just found out in the latest strip that Tyrinaria doesn't exist anymore...

FoE
2009-09-22, 02:20 AM

Inky was just telling the kids not to draw the dragon's attention back to them while it was destroying the house. Maybe he hoped the ABD was done with them; for all Inky knew, this was just some random monster attack.

If you come across a bear in a forest and it bites you a few times before leaving you for dead, do you leap up and start shouting before the bear leaves the clearing? Or do you lie there and wait until it's out of earshot?

Ancalagon
2009-09-22, 05:43 AM
People, the divorce is NOT about the black dragon.

It is about Vaarsuvius being away for long times, for Vaarsuvius ignoring the mate for the quest of power (go to the library), for Vaarsuvius being an egoistical jerk in ALL cases where it was about "magic vs. mate" (and as Vaarsuvius always thinks about magic, it was always like that).
The Dragon-incident is only important as Vaarsuvius stayed away for years, came back as obviously evil, wasn't THAT nice to his mate & children, said he sold his soul to devils/demons, then immediately left (still evil) for "more important matters".
You could say that the dragon-incident was a trigger, but surely, by far, not the reason for the divorce.

I want to see that "mate" that's not wanting a divorce after being mistreated and ignored like that *for years*.

ref
2009-09-22, 10:46 AM
If we're going into nitpick mode, how many years? Because they're elves, you know. So it takes more than a handful...

Ancalagon
2009-09-22, 11:45 AM
Apparently... enough? Who cares how many exactly, I for sure do not...

Sholos
2009-09-22, 12:08 PM
If we're going into nitpick mode, how many years? Because they're elves, you know. So it takes more than a handful...

If we're going into nitpick mode, why are we assuming elves perceive time at a different rate than anyone else? There's been no real evidence to suggest it. For one, they don't seem to have any problems interacting with other races on the same time scale.

David Argall
2009-09-22, 01:18 PM
And more to the point, we've just found out in the latest strip that Tyrinaria doesn't exist anymore...
Well, we have the statement of one person that it might not exist any more. Of course a professional mapmaker ought to know, but it is still just the indefinite opinion of one person. All sorts of situations are possible. It's possible our tyrant got married and put the country in his wife's name.
We look likely to find out more in a strip or two, but right now, Tyrinaria's existence is merely in doubt.

If we're going into nitpick mode, why are we assuming elves perceive time at a different rate than anyone else? There's been no real evidence to suggest it. For one, they don't seem to have any problems interacting with other races on the same time scale.
You are a bit confused about elven relationship with time in the comic. While elves act at the same speed as other races, a great many other things happen at a much slower rate. Thus we have the kids ask if V will be home this year, instead of this week or month. This standard gag means that just as we talk of "dog years" [as about 7 times the human number], we have "elf years" [about 1/7 of the human number]. V has been gone for 6 years, but since both parties are elves, they react much as if 2 humans would after being apart for a year.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-22, 05:56 PM
You know, there IS another thread about V's divorce.
Actually, I didn't.

I don't think the details of the attack are necessary. The entire point of revealing the details behind Miko's defeat of the party was to show that she was a valid threat and didn't just win through power of plot. Here, it's obvious that the dragon can do whatever the heck she wants with impunity. At least, until V shows up, and then the focus is on V's actions, not the dragon's.

tl;dr - Details aren't needed because they're not important.
You've got a point. Plus, I didn't apparently realise QUITE why he explained that.

How would they? Divination, mayhaps? And, if I recall corectly (which I probably don't...), Nale is the son of Tyranar (I'm pretty sure I got that wrong), and if that's the case, Nale could help.
Maybe no motive, maybe it's hard, but just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it's not so. I mean, how likely is it that Belkar would fail so many Spot an d Listen checks?

I made that post before Strip 680.

Inky was just telling the kids not to draw the dragon's attention back to them while it was destroying the house. Maybe he hoped the ABD was done with them; for all Inky knew, this was just some random monster attack.

If you come across a bear in a forest and it bites you a few times before leaving you for dead, do you leap up and start shouting before the bear leaves the clearing? Or do you lie there and wait until it's out of earshot?
...I hadn't thought about that. Of course, dragons aren't like bears.
Oh, and if a gold dragon incinerates your house, it wasn't me.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-22, 10:32 PM
If we're going into nitpick mode, why are we assuming elves perceive time at a different rate than anyone else? There's been no real evidence to suggest it.
There's a few bits of circumstantial evidence for both sides, but the closest we've got to anything canon is V saying, "Blast my Elven insensitivity to the flow of time!" in Origin.

Silverraptor
2009-09-22, 10:33 PM
There's a few bits of circumstantial evidence for both sides, but the closest we've got to anything canon is V saying, "Blast my Elven insensitivity to the flow of time!" in Origin.

Should you have spoiled that?:smallconfused:

Sholos
2009-09-22, 10:44 PM
I don't see why. A single line quote from a book that has been out for quite some time is hardly a spoiler.

Silverraptor
2009-09-22, 10:44 PM
I don't see why. A single line quote from a book that has been out for quite some time is hardly a spoiler.

*Shrugs*

Oh well...

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-22, 10:45 PM
Why? It doesn't give anything away. And if there's anyone out there who would actually be in any way upset that they'd accidentally read one out-of-context line from a four-year-old publication then quite frankly they need to grow thicker skin. :smallwink:

JaxGaret
2009-09-23, 03:31 PM
I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

... and two small children.

Atronach
2009-09-24, 05:00 PM
I do not see what you have posted as being a spoiler. If you had delved into the dialogue further perhaps, but.... perhaps not depending on the scenario.

oball
2009-09-24, 05:23 PM

I'm nicking this quote for my sig because it's the most hilariously sarcastic thing I've read in ages.

BatRobin
2009-09-24, 05:23 PM
... and two small children.

Small? Weren't they (in human years) like 50?

I know about elven years and stuff. BLAH TO YOU ELVES.

Herald Alberich
2009-09-24, 05:53 PM
26, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html)

And they are physically diminutive, as well as mentally childlike. They are small.