PDA

View Full Version : Warty Goblin designs a (hypothetical) game

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 09:20 PM
Since the tragic, senseless death of my gaming PC revealed that the world is a cold and uncaring place, I've been thinking. About gaming. Duh.

Specifically I've been thinking about realism, and I've come to a conclusion. I don't like games better for being realistic or unrealistic. I like games that have consistant atmosphere and gameplay mechanics. Reality I find tends to be fairly consistant in both atmosphere and 'gameplay' mechanics, although the controls are often annoyingly complex. Really, somebody should add some context sensitive commands and make it a bit more accessible.

But I digress. My point is that realistic games tend to have more consistant gameplay mechanics and feel than unrealistic ones. Throwing knives, duel wielding and riot shields in CoD: MW2 rub me wrong not because they aren't realistic, but because they're unneccessarily so. I enjoyed these same mechanics in Tomb Raider Legend, but that game never tried for realism in atmosphere or gameplay. It could get away with it. A game calling itself 'Modern Warfare' however is pretty clearly angling for a real world feel. Seeing these blantantly unrealistic elements there is jarring.

The thing I've caught myself doing is knee-jerk going 'it isn't realistic, so it's bad.' This is stupid, and produces neither insight or good discussion. Thus I present a thought experiment for a completely unrealistic game.

CUG: Completely Unrealistic Game.

This is a first/third person shooter. I'll specify controls for the PC, but consoles should have no problem with this.

Every weapon is duel wieldable. That's right, pistols, shotguns, sniper rifles, machine guns rocket launchers, chainsaws, swords, and the severed limbs of your enemies are all fair game.

Nor would you be constrained to real world weapons. That's a stupid, realistic constraint, so I'm throwing it out the window. Thus not only could you duel wield tank cannons, but plasma guns, laser rifles, double bladed lightsabers, and gravity guns, to name just what comes to mind.

Controlling your weapons would be simple. You left click to fire your left hand gun, and right click to fire your right hand gun. For simplicity your weapons share a reticule. Obviously some weapons would be more accurate than others, so the simple solution is to stack the reticules, colorcode the left blue and the right green, and all the pertenant information is displayed. People will also note that I've got some melee weapons in there as well. These control exactly the same way, you click to attack.

Blocking with weapons is boring and realistic. There is no blocking with weapons. You can equip shields, with which you can block. There is no constraint on firing while blocking with a shield. Again, that would be realistic. Shields can be destroyed by heavier weapons, because although realistic blowing stuff up is awesome. If a shield blocks an attack, it blocks the entirety of that attack. This is because stopping a cannon shell with a garbage can lid is also awesome, but doing so more than once is retarded.

OK, so that's how you kill stuff. Now for movement. Movement is less out there than combat, because conventional movement works pretty well. The only change I'm going to make is to get rid of stupid things like limits on how high you can jump. Press spacebar, you go up until you release spacebar. Then you come down. Falling damage is realistic and annoying, so that's gone. While airborn you can't change direction though, because otherwise things would be stupid.

What weapons you carry really wouldn't effect your speed at all, because that's just annoying and stupidy limits me from duel weilding a 30mm autocannon and a rocket launcher. Sure it might make using actual small arms balanced, but who cares about that? If somebody's stupid enough to run around with a pistol, then on their own head be it.

Now for health systems. Conventional health systems are boring, since you have to look at a number to see how much more damage you can take. Regenerating health systems require you to take cover. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I seldom think "oh goody, I get to cower behind a wall some more!" so regenerating health is out. What's in is a revolutionary new system I like to call L.I.M.B. or Limb Instanced Mutilation ala the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Essentially this means that your health is your limbs. Take too much damage to an appendage, and you lose that limb. You don't neccessarily die though. Instead losing a limb has a drawback associated with it- lose your head and you can't see as well, so your accuracy goes down and maybe the edges of the screen are blacked out. Lose an arm and you lose that weapon, lose a leg and you move more slowly. Lose your torso and you can only carry half as much ammo. If you lose both arms or both legs you die and must respawn, since you couldn't shoot or couldn't move. Losing an arm and a leg is just fine though.

Note that when I say lose, I mean just that. Lose your arm, and it's graphically blown off. Same with a leg. Losing your torso would reduce that region of your body to a skeleton, and losing your head would reduce said protuberence to a bloody lump with a single remaining eyeball.

Weapon damage would not be realistic. For one thing splash damage would be totally overpowered, so all damage from any given hit would be applied directly to one limb- even explosions. Any over damage is lost.

Needless to say the envioronment would be fully destructable. Most structures would have the durability of cardboard, because otherwise people would hide in them, and that's boring.

As for the story, it's very simple. There are bad people. They kidnapped your dog. Only you are a bad enough dude to strap a howitzer to each arm and bring back Fluffy. Multiplayer would consist of pitched games of Capture the Dog, or deathmatch.

Oslecamo
2009-09-22, 02:42 AM
I'll pre order two!

Just make sure to include low graphics option, because this will lag like hell in multiplayer.

You'll also get millionaire, but that's another story.:smallbiggrin:

Bouregard
2009-09-22, 03:55 AM
Sounds cool. And I really like to get away from 08/15 standart shooters.

But how do you explain those awesome superpowers? Oh and is it possible to get your limbs back?

I would say the player is a zombie. Zombies are strong, they don't really care about lost limbs and inuniverse they can regenerate from eating other people! Would also fit into the "They captured my dog"-story. BBEG stole your dog and killed you. Because of some plebotinuum you're a ass-kicking zombie now.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 04:12 AM
Sounds very cool! Silly and cool.:smalltongue:

On limb regeneration: Perhaps take some enemy limbs and put them on your own body?:smallcool:

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-09-22, 06:33 AM
I'd pay good money for that game, yes indeed.

On limb regeneration: Perhaps take some enemy limbs and put them on your own body?

That's a great idea actually. Instead of having to hunt around the level for medikits, dodging enemies when low on health (health bar style FPS) or hiding behind something (regen health FPS) it forces you to CHARGE AND KILLKILLKILL MAIM EXPLOSIONATE!!!!!!

This would be a good thing.

Oslecamo
2009-09-22, 07:07 AM
I got another idea for this game!

In order to make ranged weapons more atractive, make them able to deflect attacks!

C'mon, everybody loves deflecting bullets and lasers and whatnot. Dual wielding swords increases your chance of deflection.

Of course, if you deflect a rocket and it hits the wall to your right, you still get damage.

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-22, 07:48 AM
Something in the back of my mind tells me this is a parody.

Cubey
2009-09-22, 08:55 AM
It might be a parody, but taken at face value it's awesome.

BRC
2009-09-22, 09:01 AM
Question: Is there a gun that fires Flamethrowers in this game?

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-22, 09:15 AM

Well, yes it is, but that kind of game doesn't seem like something Warty Goblin would like.

I'd buy it, but if I see warty goblin's name on the package, I'd do a double take.

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 09:28 AM

Nope, this is, well not dead serious, but for real a game I'd probably play. As I said in my first paragraph, it's not that I require realism, but consistant mechanical tone. This game, I feel, accomplishes that through, with a consistant tone of 'sure, why not?'

Taking enemy's limbs for health- I like this idea a lot. Mechanically it forces aggression, and the flavor is sufficiently rediculous to be awesome. There'd need to be some sort of limit on the number of limbs available at any one time, otherwise the end of a match would have health literally coating the walls, but that's pretty easy to accomplish.

I like guns shooting flamethrowers as well.

In order to somewhat balance the guns, I suppose the thing to do is to play with the ammo limits and reload times. Two tank guns might let you blow guys apart very well, but they'd have seriously long reload timers, so you're probably better off with one tank gun and a machine gun or something.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 09:33 AM
A number of weapons such as ''tanks'' would destroy limbs while others such as normal fire-arms would leave them intact to use?

But this might make sense, so I dunno.:smalltongue:

Cubey
2009-09-22, 09:38 AM
Anyway, I fully agree with the notion that things can be unrealistic as long as they are consistent.

And sometimes they don't even have to be consistent, but only when the work is deliberately comedic or absurdist in nature.

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 10:02 AM
A number of weapons such as ''tanks'' would destroy limbs while others such as normal fire-arms would leave them intact to use?

Nope, all guns destroy limbs. It just takes some longer than others, so the game becomes about balancing the very powerful but slow firing cannons with less damaging automatics or semiautomatics.

Suppose for example that Player A has two tank guns. Well they're basically guarenteed to blow off a limb, but unless he manages to get both arms or both legs, Player B is going to be inconvenienced but not dead. And that's assuming both shots hit. After he fires, Player A is also in trouble, since he's not going to be shooting again for a couple seconds.

Player B however took a plasma cannon, which does about as much damage as a tank gun, but has a higher rate of fire and slower moving projectiles, and a 20mm autocannon, which has good range, decent damage and fairly high rate of fire.

This is a stronger, more diverse loadout than A's. Although slightly weaker at long range, it has a fairly good rate of fire and won't suffer from the prolonged periods of helplessness that trouble Player A. The disadvantage is that due to the lower damage of the autocannon and the easier to avoid projectiles of plasma cannon, B is less likely to score a quick de-limbing for tactical advantage.

Actually in some ways the plasma cannon and autocannon are a bad pairing, since the former has slow projectiles and the later fast. Since both guns share a reticule, this makes it very hard to engage targets with both guns at all but close range. The tank gun and autocannon would be better.

Also I forgot to mention it, but one would of course be allowed to loot weapons from dead guys, and harvest torsos for merchendise and ammunition.

Jibar
2009-09-22, 10:02 AM
Taking enemy's limbs for health- I like this idea a lot. Mechanically it forces aggression, and the flavor is sufficiently rediculous to be awesome. There'd need to be some sort of limit on the number of limbs available at any one time, otherwise the end of a match would have health literally coating the walls, but that's pretty easy to accomplish.

Well, similarly you could have it so that once your arm is taken out of action it's blown into smitherins. Thus to take arms and legs back from your opponents you have to shoot them in the torso and head. Or if you want your body back you have to take out both their legs or arms.
It would force you to think in amongst the bloodshed as well and while you could just go in all guns blazing and hope you'll find good parts afterwards, taking time aiming for specific sections will reward you with the health.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 10:10 AM
Well, similarly you could have it so that once your arm is taken out of action it's blown into smitherins. Thus to take arms and legs back from your opponents you have to shoot them in the torso and head. Or if you want your body back you have to take out both their legs or arms.
It would force you to think in amongst the bloodshed as well and while you could just go in all guns blazing and hope you'll find good parts afterwards, taking time aiming for specific sections will reward you with the health.
I like this idea. But with the current set-up, you'd have to make the torso and head more crucial.

I think.

Or it could just add a whole new bunch of strategies on how to play the game.

Warty: I get it, I already semi-got it. But it's good you explained.

It might be usefull to have a clear list of weapons. And a clear game set-up readable somewhere.

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 12:40 PM
I like this idea. But with the current set-up, you'd have to make the torso and head more crucial.

I think.

Or it could just add a whole new bunch of strategies on how to play the game.

Warty: I get it, I already semi-got it. But it's good you explained.

It might be usefull to have a clear list of weapons. And a clear game set-up readable somewhere.

OK, weapons list:

Small Arms: These are boring, but are available early in a multiplayer match, and are among the first weapons you come across in the engrossing singleplayer epic Bloodhound: The Search for Fluffy.

Pistol, 9mm. Don't use this gun.
Projectile Speed: Fast.
Rate of Fire: Semi automatic.
Range: Short.
Damage: Minimal.
Magazine: 10 rounds
Reload: Very Fast.

SMG, 9mm. Better than the pistol due to impressive rate of fire, and virtually unlimited ammunition. Still, better options exist.
Rate of Fire: Fast Automatic.
Magazine: 45 rounds.
Reload: Fast.

Assault Rifle, 5.56mm. A step up from the SMG in terms of both accuracy and power. Get used to reloading all the time though.
Damage: Low.
Magazine: 30 rounds.

Squad Automatic Weapon: Better than the assault rifle due to larger magazine, although the longer reload is something of a downer.
Magazine: 100 rounds.
Reload: Medium.

Medium Machine Gun, 7.62 NATO. At last, something with some stopping power!
Rate of Fire: Automatic.
Damage: Medium Low.

Heavy Machine Gun, .50 cal BMG. It don't get better than this.
Rate of Fire: Automatic Automatic.
Range: Medium.
Damage: Medium.
Magazine: 50rounds.

Sniper Rifle: Very accurate, but with a small magazine size you'll spend half your time reloading. Still, it's useful for perforating dog-stealing SOBs from 500 meters.
Projectile Speed: Very Fast.
Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic.
Range: Long.
Magazine: 5 rounds.

Rocket Launcher, 100mm. Remember when we said it didn't get better than the .50cal machine gun? We lied. This is much better, so good in fact it's as good as it gets. Thanks to advanced laser guidence systems, the missiles follow your reticule, extending the range far beyond what would otherwise be possible. Reload is, once again, a bit of a bummer.
Projectile Speed: Medium.
Rate of Fire: Semi-Automatic.
Damage: Medium High.
Magazine: 2.

Anti-materiel rifle, 20mm. For times when the sniper rifle doesn't perforate dog stealing SOBs with big enough holes. Suffers from all of the drawbacks of the sniper rifle, but is pixel accurate and blows bad guys into something the texture of chunky style peanut butter.
Projectile Speed: Very Very Fast.

Shotgun, double barreled. Has sentimental value, but that's about it.
Projectile Speed: Medium Low.
Range: Very Short.
Magazine: 2 rounds.

Shotgun, semi-auto. A step up, but really, you can do better.
Magazine: 6 rounds.

Shotgun, automatic w/ explosive ammunition. Like this for instance. Much better damage, better range, and best of all a 20 shot drum magazine holding lots of little things what go boom.
Rate of Fire: Slow Automatic.
Magazine: 20 rounds.

Flamethrower: It's like a shotgun in range, but it also bakes the sweet, sweet flavor of victory right into your enemy's flesh with our award winning incendiary liquid garnished with a hint of real Italian rosemary! Note that enemies hit by the flamethrower will burn one additional second for every two seconds they were caught in the flame.
Projectile Speed: Slow.
Magazine: 30 seconds.

Bigger guns: These are what you really want.

20mm autocannon. They said giving helicopter gunship weapons to a person was stupid. You proved them right when you ground them into smooth peanut butter with a volley from this little baby!
Damage: Medium High
Magazine: 100.

Missile Pod: Another thing those morons in the defense department thought unfit for use by individuals. Just like a rocket launcher, only with a bigger magazine, and more damaging warheads!
Projectile Speed: Medium Fast.
Damage: High.
Magazine: 4 rounds.
Reload: Slow.

Autocannon, 30mm. Like the 20mm, except it pattes enemies even faster thanks to a larger, more powerful round.
Range: Medium High.
Magazine: 75 rounds.

Heavy Weapons, Conventional:
Tank Gun, 120mm, smoothbore. This is what you actually want. Sure you can't carry much ammo, and sure you can probably father several children while it reloads, but who cares?
Projectile Speed:Fast.
Damage: Very High.
Magazine: 1.
Reload: Very Slow.

Howitzer, 155mm. Bigger than the tank gun, it has a slightly slower shell, and even longer reload time.
Damage: Very , very High.
Reload: Very very Slow.

Anti-Ship Missile Launcher. Because sometimes you need ordnance capable of sinking a battleship. New next gen guidence system acts exactly like that of all other guided weapons!
Damage: Extremely High.
Reload: Very very, very Slow.

Melee Weapons:

Chainsaw: Words cannot describe the sensation of using this.
Damage: Medium
Reach: Medium
Attack Speed: Slow

Sword: Not much to see here.
Damage: Low
Attack Speed: Medium

Double bladed beamsword: Wimps use single bladed versions of these. You're not a wimp, are you?

Triple Bladed Beamsword: Can only be handled by trained Manly Men.
not a wimp, are you?
Attack Speed: Fast.

Energy Weapons:
Plasma pistol: Sometimes you need to set people on fire, and it's just too far to walk with your flamethrower. This is why the aliens, clever little bastards, invented plasma weapons. Like a flamethrower, they burn dudes.
Projectile Speed:Medium.
Damage:Medium Low.
Magazine: 10.

Plasma rifle: Sometimes you need to burn people more. It's OK, we here at WeaponTech understand, which is why we bring you this fine plasma rifle. WeaponTech: All your maiming needs, under one roof!
Projectile Speed:medium.
Rate of Fire: automatic.
Range: medium.
Magazine: 20.

Plasma minigun: Absolutely the last word in burning people with superheated ionized gas. Note that using this device around electronics may void the warrenty. Severe bodily harm may occur to anything standing in front of you when you pull the trigger. Always wear safety goggles when operating. Like all plasma weapons targets may ignite when hit.
Rate of Fire: Very Fast Automatic.
Magazine: 200.

Laser Pistol: Tired of leading targets? The Laser Pistol is the weapon for you! Of course, being a pistol, it's not going to kill dudes particularly fast, but hey, it's the thought that hurts!
Projectile Speed:Hitscan.
Magazine: 5.

Laser Rifle: A laser weapon that actually kills things! Tell your friends today, from five hundred meters with a burning hot beam of coherent death!
Damage: Medium-low.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 12:51 PM
weapons list:

Small Arms: These are boring, but are available early in a multiplayer match, and are among the first weapons you come across in the engrossing singleplayer epic Bloodhound: The Search for Fluffy.

Pistol, 9mm. Don't use this gun.
Rate of Fire: Semi automatic.
Magazine: 10 rounds
Reload: Very Fast.

SMG, 9mm. Better than the pistol due to impressive rate of fire, and virtually unlimited ammunition. Still, better options exist.
Magazine: 45 rounds.

Assault Rifle, 5.56mm. A step up from the SMG in terms of both accuracy and power. Get used to reloading all the time though.
Magazine: 30 rounds.

Squad Automatic Weapon: Better than the assault rifle due to larger magazine, although the longer reload is something of a downer.

Medium Machine Gun, 7.62 NATO. At last, something with some stopping power!

Heavy Machine Gun, .50 cal BMG. It don't get better than this.
Rate of Fire: Automatic Automatic.
Magazine: 50rounds.

Sniper Rifle: Very accurate, but with a small magazine size you'll spend half your time reloading. Still, it's useful for perforating dog-stealing SOBs from 500 meters.
Projectile Speed: Very Fast.

Rocket Launcher, 100mm. Remember when we said it didn't get better than the .50cal machine gun? We lied. This is much better, so good in fact it's as good as it gets. Thanks to advanced laser guidence systems, the missiles follow your reticule, extending the range far beyond what would otherwise be possible. Reload is, once again, a bit of a bummer.
Rate of Fire: Semi-Automatic.
Magazine: 2.

Anti-materiel rifle, 20mm. For times when the sniper rifle doesn't perforate dog stealing SOBs with big enough holes. Suffers from all of the drawbacks of the sniper rifle, but is pixel accurate and blows bad guys into something the texture of chunky style peanut butter.
Projectile Speed: Very Very Fast.

Shotgun, double barreled. Has sentimental value, but that's about it.
Magazine: 2 rounds.

Shotgun, semi-auto. A step up, but really, you can do better.
Magazine: 6 rounds.

Shotgun, automatic w/ explosive ammunition. Like this for instance. Much better damage, better range, and best of all a 20 shot drum magazine holding lots of little things what go boom.
Rate of Fire: Slow Automatic.
Magazine: 20 rounds.

Flamethrower: It's like a shotgun in range, but it also bakes the sweet, sweet flavor of victory right into your enemy's flesh with our award winning incendiary liquid garnished with a hint of real Italian rosemary! Note that enemies hit by the flamethrower will burn one additional second for every two seconds they were caught in the flame.
Projectile Speed: Slow.
Magazine: 30 seconds.

Bigger guns: These are what you really want.

20mm autocannon. They said giving helicopter gunship weapons to a person was stupid. You proved them right when you ground them into smooth peanut butter with a volley from this little baby!
Magazine: 100.

Missile Pod: Another thing those morons in the defense department thought unfit for use by individuals. Just like a rocket launcher, only with a bigger magazine, and more damaging warheads!
Projectile Speed: Medium Fast.
Magazine: 4 rounds.

Autocannon, 30mm. Like the 20mm, except it pattes enemies even faster thanks to a larger, more powerful round.
Range: Medium High.
Magazine: 75 rounds.

Heavy Weapons, Conventional:

Tank Gun, 120mm, smoothbore. This is what you actually want. Sure you can't carry much ammo, and sure you can probably father several children while it reloads, but who cares?
Damage: Very High.
Reload: Very Slow.

Howitzer, 155mm. Bigger than the tank gun, it has a slightly slower shell, and even longer reload time.
Damage: Very , very High.
Reload: Very very Slow.

Anti-Ship Missile Launcher. Because sometimes you need ordnance capable of sinking a battleship. New next gen guidence system acts exactly like that of all other guided weapons!
Damage: Extremely High.
Reload: Very very, very Slow.

Melee Weapons:

Chainsaw: Words cannot describe the sensation of using this.
Damage: Medium
Attack Speed: Slow

Sword: Not much to see here.
Damage: Low

Double bladed beamsword: Wimps use single bladed versions of these. You're not a wimp, are you?

Triple Bladed Beamsword: Can only be handled by trained Manly Men.
not a wimp, are you?
Attack Speed: Fast.

Energy Weapons:

Plasma pistol: Sometimes you need to set people on fire, and it's just too far to walk with your flamethrower. This is why the aliens, clever little bastards, invented plasma weapons. Like a flamethrower, they burn dudes.
Projectile Speed:Medium.
Damage:Medium Low.
Magazine: 10.

Plasma rifle: Sometimes you need to burn people more. It's OK, we here at WeaponTech understand, which is why we bring you this fine plasma rifle. WeaponTech: All your maiming needs, under one roof!
Projectile Speed:medium.
Rate of Fire: automatic.
Range: medium.

Plasma minigun: Absolutely the last word in burning people with superheated ionized gas. Note that using this device around electronics may void the warrenty. Severe bodily harm may occur to anything standing in front of you when you pull the trigger. Always wear safety goggles when operating. Like all plasma weapons targets may ignite when hit.
Rate of Fire: Very Fast Automatic.
Magazine: 200.

Laser Pistol: Tired of leading targets? The Laser Pistol is the weapon for you! Of course, being a pistol, it's not going to kill dudes particularly fast, but hey, it's the thought that hurts!
Magazine: 5.

Laser Rifle: A laser weapon that actually kills things! Tell your friends today, from five hundred meters with a burning hot beam of coherent death!
Damage: Medium-low.

A lot more over-see-able.

Shall we perhaps put a system(like 1-10 or whatever) for re-loading speed and rate of fire, instead of a describing name? Which will later be converted into their respective times. ?

Dogmantra
2009-09-22, 12:58 PM
One fatal flaw:
Where is the gun that shoots Batman? As in, shoots him instead of bullets.

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 01:04 PM
One fatal flaw:
Where is the gun that shoots Batman? As in, shoots him instead of bullets.

It's called god-mode.

Even in this game, a gun that shoots Batman is overpowered.

EleventhHour
2009-09-22, 02:51 PM
Every game has an ultimate weapon, and I have just the one. And it's a real weapon. You might cry out, that with laser guns, plasma rifles, and who knows what else, no exsisting weapon can outclass them. But I present to you The M65 Atomic Cannon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_Atomic_Cannon).

Reference picture!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Nuclear_artillery_test_Grable_Event_-_Part_of_Operation_Upshot-Knothole.jpg

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 02:57 PM
Nah, atomic weapons are over-used.

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 03:01 PM
Nah, atomic weapons are over-used.

Possibly true.

But dual wielding atomic weapons is still incredibly badass. And it's overkill on a scale few weapons can match.

Joran
2009-09-22, 03:10 PM
Every game has an ultimate weapon, and I have just the one. And it's a real weapon. You might cry out, that with laser guns, plasma rifles, and who knows what else, no exsisting weapon can outclass them. But I present to you The M65 Atomic Cannon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_Atomic_Cannon).

Reference picture!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Nuclear_artillery_test_Grable_Event_-_Part_of_Operation_Upshot-Knothole.jpg

Completely agree; was thinking of something similar to the Fat Man also in Fallout 3. How about a gun that shoots black holes? Let's call it the LHC.

Actually, the lack of plot, attention to mechanics and tone sounds very much like Serious Sam. It sounds like fun actually.

Maelstrom
2009-09-22, 03:10 PM
Like a next generation Duke nukem! (when it first came out) I like!

But...Plasma minigun -- damage, low??

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 03:15 PM
Like a next generation Duke nukem! (when it first came out) I like!

But...Plasma minigun -- damage, low??

Low per shot, but it fires a very lot of shots don't you see? In terms of DPS it'd probably come out substantially ahead of the plasma rifle.

Jibar
2009-09-22, 03:15 PM
How about a gun that shoots black holes? Let's call it the LHC.

Ratchet and Clank 3 actually beat you to that one.
That gun had the ability to suck up other nearby black holes and becoming even bigger.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 03:16 PM
How about a gun that shoots out playgrounders?:smalltongue:
/totally silly

EleventhHour
2009-09-22, 03:18 PM
How about a gun that shoots out playgrounders?:smalltongue:
/totally silly

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We're trying not to make it completely devestate the entire game in one shot. Heck, that might kill people in other servers!

...on the other hand... a million person cameo. OF DEATH.

BRC
2009-09-22, 03:46 PM
Other Weapons
Gun that Fires Flamethowers: When you really, really need to light things on fire, this gun shoots full tanks of flamethrower ammo.

Assassin Canon: This is not a "Gun" per say, it is a Camera that automatically uploads the picture of your opponent and hires an assasin to eliminate them. Within ten seconds of being "Snapped", your will find himself under attack from one or more of the following: Sniper, Ninja, Tommy-gun toting mobster, Cruise Missile, Poisoner (Target has a chance to simply drop dead, because the poisoner got them four hours ago).

Scrodegers gun: Puts your opponent in a box. Both killing them and not killing them.

Tv Tropinator: Opponent starts reading TVtropes, will get better a couple hours later.

Dragonus45
2009-09-22, 04:43 PM
There should be brass knuckles that have bullets in then, Very very large bullets. Hell make it hard gloves with a tank shell on each arm.
When you punch someone they go off and shoot whats behind him. Cue gore.

Oslecamo
2009-09-22, 05:09 PM
But dual wielding atomic weapons is still incredibly badass. And it's overkill on a scale few weapons can match.

Rapid-fire nuclear weapons?:smallbiggrin:

Nothing says overkill like a dozen mini nukes into a single target.

warty goblin
2009-09-22, 07:28 PM
Rapid-fire nuclear weapons?:smallbiggrin:

Nothing says overkill like a dozen mini nukes into a single target.

Remember folks, it's still OK to be realistic in one case: what can be processed without fusing one's processor into a small piece of red hot silicon.

edit: although nukes in some capacity need to be incorporated I feel. Perhaps an instakill weapon, but all bodyparts in the vicinity are reanimated as flesh eating zombies?

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 07:35 PM
Remember folks, it's still OK to be realistic in one case: what can be processed without fusing one's processor into a small piece of red hot silicon.

edit: although nukes in some capacity need to be incorporated I feel. Perhaps an instakill weapon, but all bodyparts in the vicinity are reanimated as flesh eating zombies?

I feel giant ants are a more appropriate menace from atomic weapons. And/or Godzilla.

EleventhHour
2009-09-22, 07:37 PM
All people in an area are killed, and then Mutant fire-breathing ants BURST FROM THIER TORSO.

:smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-23, 02:10 AM
I like this. And this would also eliminate the supposed problem of over-dose of limbs.

Dragonus45
2009-09-23, 05:39 AM
Since black hole weaponry has been done, why not white holes shooters. What you hit gets turned into a portal out of which comes debrie from an alternate plane. Think raptors with cthulu face that try to kill everyone. Yes even you. Or maybe a head thing from the Easter islands shoots out and crushed someone.

pendell
2009-09-23, 07:34 AM
Hmm .. do you expect to implement this yourself? Using which engine? Who will do the artwork?

A concern I have is that if you want limbs and dual wielding no existing engine will work (I think, could be wrong). So you'll have to modify the player and enemy MOBs to allow multiple damage points, you'll have to render the objects once they're on the ground, determine how they interact with all the other objects in the environment, etc. etc. Is there a good open source engine available that could be easily modified thus? Or will you be forced to roll your own?

Call me silly, but if you take away the dual wielding and the blown off limbs, this sounds a lot like the original Quake. What else makes it different?

One last thought: The carnage pretty much guarantees an 'M' rating, which may make it harder to sell. That may not be a problem, as there are high school and college students with disposable income, but if you want to market it to junior high as well you might want to offer a toned down mode to appease the parental types.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-23, 09:00 AM
A toned down version? With less violence?

Errr, do you realize what the point of the entire game is? ><

A toned down version with less gore and less violence would just be lame.

Jahkaivah
2009-09-23, 09:55 AM
Idea I had for Serious Sam 3 which would be appropriate here:

Not only is every weapon in the game dual-wieldable, but there is a button (probably mouse 3 or f) which will combined the two weapons you are weilding for more ways to tear apart your foes.

Any combination works.

Two Sniper rifles? Put the scopes together for double zoom.

Minigun with Flamethrower? Incendiary bullets.

Chainsaw and Rocket Launcher? Of course.
(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/delamaize/topsecretax1.jpg)
Even less obvious ones, Chainsaw and Uzi? You swing the chainsaw in front and use the reflection to see the enemies behind the the richoteting bullets to shoot them. Wile keeping you distance from them using the superior foward movement.

chiasaur11
2009-09-23, 09:55 AM
A toned down version? With less violence?

Errr, do you realize what the point of the entire game is? ><

A toned down version with less gore and less violence would just be lame.

And much more horrific.

As is, it's a romp. Move the violence down a couple notches, and it stops being Looney Toons and moves towards nightmarish.

See: The never aired TV cut of Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-23, 12:51 PM
What if we would allow somebody to destroy/shoot his own limbs and then use them as weapons?

onasuma
2009-09-23, 01:54 PM
Ratchet and Clank 3 actually beat you to that one.
That gun had the ability to suck up other nearby black holes and becoming even bigger.

Dammit Jibar, Im all nostalgic now...

Stupid not having a psp or ps3 for the 5 ratchet and clank games out there that I ahvent played.

Jibar
2009-09-23, 01:57 PM
Dammit Jibar, Im all nostalgic now...

Stupid not having a psp or ps3 for the 5 ratchet and clank games out there that I ahvent played.

My problem with this idea is really that if you want more outlandish guns, we're going to have run them by the Ratchet and Clank list to check if they've already done it.
Nobody will ever make platformers like the Jak and Daxter series again.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-24, 12:33 AM
But without pieces of Ratchet and Clank, how can we make this game any good?