PDA

View Full Version : As a Beguiler Could I...

TheStillWind
2009-09-21, 09:32 PM
2 questions. Precocious Apprentice is worded like this.

"Choose a 2nd level spell from a school of magic you have access. You gain an extra 2nd level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell."

As a Beguiler if I take Precocious Apprentice to cast a second level spell from a school of magic I have access to (any illusion and enchantment it doesn't say it has to be on my spell list); would this chosen spell be available to me when I can cast 2nd level spells normally?

Regardless of the first questions answer-
I get my first advanced learning before i can cast 2nd level spells, but with Precocious Apprentice the highest level spell I can cast is 2nd level. Does this open up 2nd level spells to my advanced learning?

Gralamin
2009-09-21, 09:40 PM
2 questions. Precocious Apprentice is worded like this.

"Choose a 2nd level spell from a school of magic you have access. You gain an extra 2nd level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell."

As a Beguiler if I take Precocious Apprentice to cast a second level spell from a school of magic I have access to (any illusion and enchantment it doesn't say it has to be on my spell list); would this chosen spell be available to me when I can cast 2nd level spells normally?

Regardless of the first questions answer-
I get my first advanced learning before i can cast 2nd level spells, but with Precocious Apprentice the highest level spell I can cast is 2nd level. Does this open up 2nd level spells to my advanced learning?

I would recommend not cheesing with Precocious Apprentice - By at least one valid reading, the feat negates itself, making it do nothing.

The proper wording is:

Prerequisite: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.
Benefit: Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to. You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell. Until your level is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd-level spells, you must succeed on a DC 8 caster level check to successfully cast this spell; if you fail, the spell is miscast to no effect. Your caster level with the chosen spell is your normal caster level, even if this level is insufficient to cast the spell under normal circumstances.

When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd level or lower as you normally would.
Notice: When you can cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefits, so you lose the spell.

Advanced Learning for a beguiler states it must be of a level no higher then the level you know, So yes, you could get a 2nd level spell.

TheStillWind
2009-09-21, 10:10 PM
Thank you very much. I definitely understand your interpretation. I think I am going to take it for the advanced learning second level spell at level 3. It isn't game breaking by any means, I am not going to take a broken spell, and I put skill points into craft(Charcoal Drawing).

Dragonmuncher
2009-09-21, 10:56 PM
I would recommend not cheesing with Precocious Apprentice - By at least one valid reading, the feat negates itself, making it do nothing.

That is totally not a valid interpretation. True, it should say
"When you would normally become able to cast 2nd-level spells..." but the intention is pretty clear.

Intention: First level arcanist gains the ability to cast one specific 2nd level spell, if he makes a caster level check. As soon as he naturally reaches the ability to cast 2nd level spells, the caster level check and spell restrictions go away, and he is left with an extra spell slot.

JLighter
2010-05-08, 03:17 AM
It looks like, when you would normally be able to cast 2nd level spells, though, you would lose knowledge of the unique spell you had learned if it was one you didn't know normally, unless you Advanced Learning-ed it.

"When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd level or lower as you normally would."

Part of the benefit granted by Precocious Apprentice prior to being able to cast 2nd-level spells normally is the choosing of a single 2nd-level spell. Depending on your interpretation, you can more or less read it two ways (here specifically interpreted for Beguilers):

-You can choose a spell off your second level spell list (since you already "know" your spells regardless of caster level

-You can choose any 2nd-level spell in one of the schools you have access to (primarily Divination, Enchantment, and Illusion, but technically including: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Transmutation; there are spells from each of the mentioned schools before 4th level spells)
It doesn't say that you get to keep the spell if it is not one that you would normally learn, though. It sounds like you would have to use Advanced Learning to keep the spell if it was one you didn't normally know. That said, open to your DM's interpretation, I suppose.

gorfnab
2010-05-08, 03:23 AM
Depending on your DM you may be able to use Versatile Spellcaster (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Versatile_Spellcaster) instead.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-08, 03:29 AM
Meh, take rainbow servant 10. Get the ability to cast all cleric spells spontaneously.