PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism

Stormthorn
2009-09-21, 10:52 PM
Bad people live near us. Or a bad person. They smashed our trucks window.

It could be the weird woman who wonders around the neighborhood and stares at peoples houses all the time. We think a few months ago it was her who claimed our truck was abandoned and tried to get the police to tow it.

They also threw a smoothy on our truck. They didnt smash our window until after we cleaned up their smoothy.

I think we should swing for some fancy security cams. Or perhaps a Presa Canario, since they are well known for savaging people. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Whipple)

RS14
2009-09-21, 10:58 PM
Or perhaps a Presa Canario, since they are well known for savaging people. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Whipple)

Maybe you were joking, but bad idea. You might as well just shoot them. But that's very probably illegal to do to vandals in your jurisdiction.

Photograph them, call the police. Keep a loaded shotgun and be prepared to use it if try to break in, and if legal in your jurisdiction.

kpenguin
2009-09-21, 11:12 PM
Vandalism? Wow... that's quite savage.

Anyway, I would second RS14's advice as well as checking out what laws there are in your local area about protection against vandals.

Stormthorn
2009-09-21, 11:20 PM
Maybe you were joking, but bad idea. You might as well just shoot them. But that's very probably illegal to do to vandals in your jurisdiction.

Photograph them, call the police. Keep a loaded shotgun and be prepared to use it if try to break in, and if legal in your jurisdiction.

It was a joke. In bad taste, but car windows cost money to replace you know.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-21, 11:28 PM
a vandal in my neighborhood painted a stick figure on the street. nobody would care except for a certain part sticking out..

also, somebody wrote the name "max." on the street.

Erothayce
2009-09-21, 11:50 PM
The smoothie leads me to believe it was teenagers. Immature teenagers but what do you expect where we live stormthorn? If you have a web cam you can maybe set it up in a front window facing the truck and record what happens on the street. I have a friend who does that because the same thing happened to them and they caught the kids who came back to break there windows again

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-22, 12:07 AM
Huh, and I always considered Vandalism to be a victimless crime.

skywalker
2009-09-22, 12:35 AM
It was a joke. In bad taste, but car windows cost money to replace you know.

I'm sorry Stormthorn, I don't want to be a jerk, but I concur that it was in bad taste. My ex-girlfriend lived across the street from a fatal dog-mauling. Her mom saw it happen. I heard her watching it on the phone, and it was the most harrowing moment of my life, I think. Please don't joke about that stuff.

Why? I mean, the vandalized object must belong to someone. Someone is having their stuff broken, spray-painted, etc.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-22, 12:42 AM
You know who you should contact? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w)

Serpentine
2009-09-22, 12:57 AM
Someone threw a brick through the back window of my car. That I only owned because I got it as the grandkids' inheritance from my Gramma. That I couldn't affort to repair :smallannoyed: :smallfrown: Ended up selling it to a guy in rehab. Mildred seems to be well taken care of.

Stormthorn
2009-09-22, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry Stormthorn, I don't want to be a jerk, but I concur that it was in bad taste. My ex-girlfriend lived across the street from a fatal dog-mauling. Her mom saw it happen. I heard her watching it on the phone, and it was the most harrowing moment of my life, I think. Please don't joke about that stuff.

Hey, i know how serious dog attacks can be. When i was younger i was firends with a guy who almost lost an arm to a dog attack and has permentant scars on his arm, shoulder, and face.

Im worried that if its the crazy lady she might try something more serious like burning our house. If its just thugs then the only problem is that they might smash the window again.

You know who you should contact?
In these darkest of times you have made me lol.

Anuan
2009-09-22, 07:25 AM
Shoot them. In the face. I guarantee they won't do it again. :smallwink:

Yora
2009-09-22, 07:38 AM
{Scrubbed}

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 07:56 AM
I don't know where you are, so can't comment on local laws, but your best bet is to document everything and do your best to prevent this from happening in the future. I know a lot of people who have to park in the driveway (me included), but I also know quite a few who just have their garage too cluttered to fit a car. If the latter's the case, your car is probably more valuable than that bunch of tangled Christmas lights, so make room.

If you set up cameras, you may need to post "area under surveillance" signs to keep it admissible as evidence. If you plan on defending your property (whether with a gun, baseball bat, plastic lightsaber, etc.) you need to check your local laws to see if you a) have a castle doctrine, b) have a stand your ground clause, and c) vehicles/property are protected under the castle doctrine as well.

Instead of starting a new topic; we have a constant problem with our 12 year old neighbor damaging our property. His parents won't discipline him, and it's not reasonable/legal to teach him a lesson my way, so I just try to keep an eye out whenever he's out and keep some spare fence posts handy. Anyone have ideas on preventative measures that don't involve mantrapping?

LCR
2009-09-22, 07:57 AM
Shoot them. In the face. I guarantee they won't do it again. :smallwink:

Great idea. You should absolutely do this.

There is probably not much can do, except report it to the police. They will not do much, I guess, but if similar things in your neighborhood keep happening, something might turn up by accident.

Bouregard
2009-09-22, 08:02 AM
Set up a security cam. Or if money is inded an issue. A fake one. There some pretty cheap ones that even turn.

Optional: Talk to your neighbors, make it clear that anyone who helps you to get your hands on vandals will get a decent reward. Oh and being knownto the neighbors as a nice person usually helps.

Vandalism is in my opinion one of the worst crimes possible. Stolen objects can be returned. But destroying things just to impress some idiots? Let them rot in prison.

Stormthorn
2009-09-22, 11:29 AM
I don't know where you are, so can't comment on local laws, but your best bet is to document everything and do your best to prevent this from happening in the future. I know a lot of people who have to park in the driveway (me included), but I also know quite a few who just have their garage too cluttered to fit a car. If the latter's the case, your car is probably more valuable than that bunch of tangled Christmas lights, so make room.

As a typical middle class California houshold (as many if not mroe cars than people) with four members...we dont have room for any more cars in our garage.

{Scrubbed}

It very well may be one of our local gangs. We have a certain ethnic group (probably not one of the ones your thinking) that has been involved in more than their fair share of thug trouble.

The real threat is if its the unstable lady. No one seems to know where she actualy lives around here and i dont think aggresive counter-measures would go over well with her.

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 11:46 AM
As a typical middle class California houshold (as many if not mroe cars than people) with four members...we dont have room for any more cars in our garage.

Cali...heh. Good luck with anything. I figured you had no other choice than to park outside, but I figured I'd cover the bases.

INAL, but from a quick Google, I can tell you that for any recorded evidence to be admissible, both parties need to be aware it's taking place. This means the "this area under surveillance" or "protected by home security system" signs in easily visible locations that they have to see to get to your car.

You cannot confront them, as the castle doctrine only applies inside your house, but home defense measures may not be a bad idea, just in case they decide to get in your house next.

My advice would be to set up a camera system and stay up when possible to try and get good descriptions of who it is. With the escalation of this (smoothie -> broken window) it looks like whoever is doing it is doing so for personal reasons, whatever they are, and will likely be back. to do something more severe.

...unless of course they're unrelated incidents, which just makes you really unlucky.

snoopy13a
2009-09-22, 11:51 AM
The likely suspect is drunk teenagers. Not much you can do other than to set up a video camera.

Faulty
2009-09-22, 01:37 PM
Or perhaps a Presa Canario, since they are well known for savaging people. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Whipple)

Getting dogs that could kill people is not a good idea to deal with vandalism, it's sick. :\

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 01:54 PM
Getting dogs that could kill people is not a good idea to deal with vandalism, it's sick. :\

Any dog can kill people. It really depends on how the dog is raised as to whether or not one will rather than genetic disposition (though it is true that some dogs are better at it than others).

Also, you must have missed where that was explained as a poor attempt at humor.

Yora
2009-09-22, 02:11 PM
It's usually the nicest breeds that make the best attack dogs, because they want to take care and protect their people. With the right amount of absuse and neglect, you can easily get them crazy enough to attack everything in sight. They are not but they have everything that people need, who want crazy dogs to attack people.

And I stand to my point, that it's legitimate to state my oppinion that giving advice to prepare yourself to use firearms to lethal effect, because something in front of your house got damaged by an unknown person, is a major contributing factor for the escalation of violence that ends in the death and mutilations of unrelated persons.
Probably the other N-word that doesn't sit to well with other people.

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 02:35 PM
And I stand to my point, that it's legitimate to state my oppinion that giving advice to prepare yourself to use firearms to lethal effect, because something in front of your house got damaged by an unknown person, is a major contributing factor for the escalation of violence that ends in the death and mutilations of unrelated persons.

Shooting someone over vandalism when your life isn't threatened isn't being (seriously) advocated anywhere in this thread. I don't see where your opinion weighs in on this discussion, regardless of whether or not I agree with you.

Stormthorn
2009-09-22, 02:43 PM
It's usually the nicest breeds that make the best attack dogs, because they want to take care and protect their people. With the right amount of absuse and neglect, you can easily get them crazy enough to attack everything in sight. They are not but they have everything that people need, who want crazy dogs to attack people.

The god bit isnt really that important since i personaly dont like the idea of owning dogs.

And i agree that you have a right to state that (valid) opinion. Its just that some (paranoid) people get jumpy when you mention totalitarian regimes, even if its obvious that your post isnt supporting them. Interestingly enough our neighborhood has, over the years, gotten a few instances of graffiti of the..."flag with the black spider on it". Although in truth, that groups revivalists are highly unlikely to actualy be involved in this.

...unless of course they're unrelated incidents, which just makes you really unlucky.
That is a possibility. Their was another act before those two where someone dumped sod along the side of our house but that one is almost certainly unrelated.

Deathslayer7
2009-09-22, 02:53 PM
I had my car window smashed no last Sunday, but the Sunday before. It's not fun. :smallannoyed: We now park inside the gate we have or right in front of it. We also have a dog, so we always know if someones nearby.

but if you do have a gate or something, park your car inside it.

Mr. Mud
2009-09-22, 04:59 PM
a vandal in my neighborhood painted a stick figure on the street. nobody would care except for a certain part sticking out..

also, somebody wrote the name "max." on the street.

Some spray painted a bench near me, not with a big "Latin Kings" or "West Side Crypts" or anything... but his name. "LUIGI" was crudely sprayed upon the bench.

*facepalm :smallannoyed:*

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 05:04 PM
Was it at least in green paint?

Mr. Mud
2009-09-22, 05:05 PM
Was it at least in green paint?

No... Sadly. It's crumby low grade navy blue paint, oddly enough. Who goes to the store and thinks, "Hm... I'ma tag a bench but I only have $4 on me... So I could get black... Red... White... Or Navy Blue!" :smallannoyed:

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 05:10 PM
Some spray painted a bench near me, not with a big "Latin Kings" or "West Side Crypts" or anything... but his name. "LUIGI" was crudely sprayed upon the bench.

*facepalm :smallannoyed:*

you know, I can see painting your name if it's something like Max. a name like that is pretty common and you probably won't get caught. However luigi?! how many kids could have that name?

also. I don't get why the one person is calling the swastika a black spider. Spider's have eight legs not four.:smallwink: I'm pretty sure it's not against the forum rules to say "the Nazi flag."

KilltheToy
2009-09-22, 06:42 PM
Instead of starting a new topic; we have a constant problem with our 12 year old neighbor damaging our property. His parents won't discipline him, and it's not reasonable/legal to teach him a lesson my way, so I just try to keep an eye out whenever he's out and keep some spare fence posts handy. Anyone have ideas on preventative measures that don't involve mantrapping?

Have you tried scaring him away? Try getting an airsoft gun and next time you see him doing something to your property, tell him to leave and never come back while pointing the gun at him. If he doesn't leave, do it again, and if he still refuses to go, fire a shot over his head or in the area of his legs. Don't aim for the chest unless he goes after you, and don't ever shoot at his head. Of course, this probably won't be all that great from his parent's point of veiw, and I don't know the laws for your area, so it might not even be legal.

Alternitively, find out the minimum age for pressing charges in your state/city. and then capture the kid on video in the act of damaging your property. Go to the police and file a complaint and use the video as evidence. The kid's parents probably won't be all that happy with taking him to court, but I assume you've informed them of their son's activities.

Anuan
2009-09-22, 06:54 PM
Thinking back on it, shooting them may actually be a good idea.
Before y'all go crazy...
Buy a paintball gun. Then sit by a window and wait. Those things sting :smalltongue:
I know if -I- was getting peppered with paintballs, I'd run. Plus, you dont have to worry about if you hit your car cause A) it's already vandalised B) it runs off with water.

RS14
2009-09-22, 08:11 PM
Have you tried scaring him away? Try getting an airsoft gun and next time you see him doing something to your property, tell him to leave and never come back while pointing the gun at him. If he doesn't leave, do it again, and if he still refuses to go, fire a shot over his head or in the area of his legs. Don't aim for the chest unless he goes after you, and don't ever shoot at his head. Of course, this probably won't be all that great from his parent's point of veiw, and I don't know the laws for your area, so it might not even be legal.

I am not a lawyer, and it may vary with jurisdiction, but that may be sufficient grounds for the vandal to draw a real gun and shoot you in self-defense. In general, it is only necessary that a "reasonable person" would fear for their life. Usually there exists some clause denying the self-defense justification to individuals who provoke an attack. What constitutes sufficient provocation may vary with jurisdiction. Vandalism probably isn't sufficient where I am.

Regardless of whether or not he has that valid legal defense, drawing a "firearm" is a very good way to escalate the situation. That very well may mean you die, if the vandal is armed. Last year, a man in Texas lost his arm after confronting a robber outside his house. They struggled, he was unable to retain his (real, loaded) shotgun, and in the ensuing struggle, he was shot. A gun is not a magic wand to make criminals go away. If you draw it, you absolutely must be prepared (mentally, mechanically, physically, and legally) to kill with it.

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 10:00 PM

I'd be in as much hot water using an air soft gun as using a real one, since I would be trying to give the impression that it's real. Legally I may be fine so long as I didn't fire (possible brandishing charge), but as soon as I do, it's assault at the best, assault with a deadly weapon/attempted murder at worst. There's no way a jury would believe that I feared for my life against an unarmed 12 year old, and probably wouldn't buy it even if he had a baseball bat. The kid's really not so much threatening as he is a brat.

Alternitively, find out the minimum age for pressing charges in your state/city. and then capture the kid on video in the act of damaging your property. Go to the police and file a complaint and use the video as evidence. The kid's parents probably won't be all that happy with taking him to court, but I assume you've informed them of their son's activities.

We aren't on best terms with his parents. Has something to do with his older brother recklessly using a bow and arrow in a crowded subdivision and our mom suggesting they discipline him. They know what this one's doing, they just don't have a problem with it. I don't feel I really need to inform them that their son is a disaster waiting to happen when they see (and encourage) him to play baseball right near our parked cars.

As far as charging goes, I don't know the exact age, but I'd have a hard time getting much done about it. I'm not around a whole lot, so I'm not likely to get evidence of it, as well as he's not actively vandalizing, but rather negligently destructive.

Stormthorn
2009-09-22, 10:11 PM
{scrubbed by someone other than "the mod who shall not be named" - get over yourself and your unfounded paranoia and just let the mods do their job, the mere fact that you are still here is a testament to the fact that we are not out to get anyone}

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 10:12 PM
We aren't on best terms with his parents. Has something to do with his older brother recklessly using a bow and arrow in a crowded subdivision

you should easily be able to get this kid on something. A bow and arrow is a lethal weapon and I imagine California or your neighborhood or whatever has some law about "using a loaded LETHAL weapon in crowded areas."

horngeek
2009-09-22, 10:23 PM
Well, depending on the laws in your area, the parents may be held legally responsible for actions commited by their child.

It's true in Australia, so you might want to check the law on this issue. If the child then continues, tell the parents that if their child continues vandalising your property, you will press charges against THEM.

Stormthorn
2009-09-22, 10:48 PM
you should easily be able to get this kid on something. A bow and arrow is a lethal weapon and I imagine California or your neighborhood or whatever has some law about "using a loaded LETHAL weapon in crowded areas."

Actually Jack is from a different state than I am as far as i know.

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 11:18 PM

This was a different kid, the older brother of the one I have to deal with now. Statute of limitations has probably passed, little evidence, as well as there not being any laws against it here would make it really hard to get anything done (public endangerment could apply though).

Currently the damage done by the kid is several broken fence posts, a couple small dings in our cars, and dents in our garage door. As well as things like him and/or his friends getting into our fenced backyard without permission, then leaving the gate open.

I'm not too terribly worried about the damage caused, as it's nothing to the scale of being worth confronting the family as they'll just ignore it anyways. (It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to cut down and swap out a fence panel, and the dents/dings aren't terribly noticeable, nor does a car with 200k+ miles have a high resale to begin with) I really just want to keep it from getting worse, and a benefit would be "scaring" him straight, but I can't think of a legal way to do it. Since it's not technically vandalism (not intentional or malicious), but rather negligent destruction of property, it's a civil case, not criminal. Hence no cops.

And before anyone suggests it, the damage is low enough that a lawsuit is out of the question, not only do we still have to live next to these people, but the court/lawyer costs would be much higher than the repairs.

Actually Jack is from a different state than I am as far as i know.

Yep. Knoxville, TN. Says so in the Location bar.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 11:21 PM
you could get a friendly dog trained to bark whenever he comes near. They can't really complain about that as long as the dog isn't a constant nuisance or a threat to life and limb. well they can but their complaints won't get them anywhere.

of course a dog may be more time trouble and money than they're worth.

RS14
2009-09-22, 11:31 PM
And before anyone suggests it, the damage is low enough that a lawsuit is out of the question, not only do we still have to live next to these people, but the court/lawyer costs would be much higher than the repairs.

That's what small claims court is for. DIY lawsuit for <$100 and a bit of time.

Jack Squat
2009-09-22, 11:41 PM
you could get a friendly dog trained to bark whenever he comes near. They can't really complain about that as long as the dog isn't a constant nuisance or a threat to life and limb. well they can but their complaints won't get them anywhere.

of course a dog may be more time trouble and money than they're worth.

Have a dog. Not really a deterrent. She's also a complete wimp.

That's what small claims court is for. DIY lawsuit for <$100 and a bit of time.

As I said, we still have to live next to them. That and I'd rather spend the 5 minutes changing out a fence piece (which we already have spares of in the garage, as the fence wasn't really taken care of by the family before us and it's starting to show) than hours reviewing tapes to try and grab evidence.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-22, 11:48 PM
Man I would have kicked that kids ass. You got more patience than me Jack.

skywalker
2009-09-23, 12:11 AM

In some ways you're right, in others, not so much. Yes, a dog's natural loyalty might be twisted into a crazed bloodlust.

On the other hand, a lot of "nice" breeds are nice because they've had specific instincts bred out to make them more fun to be around. Not that it's any fault of the dogs, but certain big dog breeds (like the Presa Canarios mentioned earlier) are oftentimes specifically bred by humans to have more of their aggressive instincts.

The god bit isnt really that important since i personaly dont like the idea of owning dogs.

I'm going to go ahead and point out this little typo because I love dogs and therefore find it awesome. :smallsmile:

Jamin
2009-09-23, 12:13 AM

:smallconfused: That makes no sense

RS14
2009-09-23, 01:21 AM
As I said, we still have to live next to them. That and I'd rather spend the 5 minutes changing out a fence piece (which we already have spares of in the garage, as the fence wasn't really taken care of by the family before us and it's starting to show) than hours reviewing tapes to try and grab evidence.

Sounds reasonable. I just wanted to make sure you knew all your options.

Krrth
2009-09-23, 09:44 AM
Have a dog. Not really a deterrent. She's also a complete wimp.

One thing you might want to do is post "No Trespassing" signs. That and get a lock for your gate. Be careful because in a lot of locations, if they get hurt on your property, you could be at fault.

Jack Squat
2009-09-23, 09:50 AM
One thing you might want to do is post "No Trespassing" signs. That and get a lock for your gate. Be careful because in a lot of locations, if they get hurt on your property, you could be at fault.

Residential area. It's illegal to post no trespassing signs.

There's a lock on the gate they used, though that's really to keep them out instead of liability. He can get just as hurt on our driveway or front yard.

Krrth
2009-09-23, 09:58 AM
Residential area. It's illegal to post no trespassing signs.

There's a lock on the gate they used, though that's really to keep them out instead of liability. He can get just as hurt on our driveway or front yard.

:smallconfused: It's illegal to post "No Trespassing" signs? Is that a local ordinance or something?

Jack Squat
2009-09-23, 02:07 PM
:smallconfused: It's illegal to post "No Trespassing" signs? Is that a local ordinance or something?

I can't seem to find the law (so it may not actually exist), but I do remember being specifically told somewhere along the line that you can't post them in residential areas around here. Commercial land it's fine.

Could be a policy by the HOA as well, as opposed to an actual law.

KilltheToy
2009-09-23, 03:12 PM
I am not a lawyer, and it may vary with jurisdiction, but that may be sufficient grounds for the vandal to draw a real gun and shoot you in self-defense. In general, it is only necessary that a "reasonable person" would fear for their life. Usually there exists some clause denying the self-defense justification to individuals who provoke an attack. What constitutes sufficient provocation may vary with jurisdiction. Vandalism probably isn't sufficient where I am.

Regardless of whether or not he has that valid legal defense, drawing a "firearm" is a very good way to escalate the situation. That very well may mean you die, if the vandal is armed. Last year, a man in Texas lost his arm after confronting a robber outside his house. They struggled, he was unable to retain his (real, loaded) shotgun, and in the ensuing struggle, he was shot. A gun is not a magic wand to make criminals go away. If you draw it, you absolutely must be prepared (mentally, mechanically, physically, and legally) to kill with it.

Point taken. Now that you mention it, the second rule of using a gun is to only point it at something you are going to shoot. Not threaten, but shoot.

It was simply an idea. Not necessarily a good one at that.

We aren't on best terms with his parents. Has something to do with his older brother recklessly using a bow and arrow in a crowded subdivision and our mom suggesting they discipline him. They know what this one's doing, they just don't have a problem with it. I don't feel I really need to inform them that their son is a disaster waiting to happen when they see (and encourage) him to play baseball right near our parked cars.

As far as charging goes, I don't know the exact age, but I'd have a hard time getting much done about it. I'm not around a whole lot, so I'm not likely to get evidence of it, as well as he's not actively vandalizing, but rather negligently destructive.

Ah, so it's really less vandalism and more of a "I'm sorry I hit a baseball through your window for the 3rd time this month" type thing I presume. (On a related note, windows are suprisingly easy to break. My little brother once broke a window with an orange.)

There might be some charge you could press, but I think you've made it clear what your plans regarding going to court are. I only wonder what his parents will do when/if he does more serious damage.

Jalor
2009-09-23, 06:43 PM
No need to involve attack dogs or weapons. 90% of vandals are dumb kids looking for thrills. If you stand somewhere just out of sight and approach them in a no-nonsense manner, people tend to obey when you tell them to get the **** off your property.

Jack Squat
2009-09-23, 09:19 PM
Ah, so it's really less vandalism and more of a "I'm sorry I hit a baseball through your window for the 3rd time this month" type thing I presume. (On a related note, windows are suprisingly easy to break. My little brother once broke a window with an orange.)

Less 'I'm sorry" and more "I don't really care, and when you suggest I walk 300 feet to go to a safer area I'll flip you the bird", but that's basically it, yeah. Also, I worked in the glass business for about a year, I know how easy they are to break (also, my entire family has somewhere around 2000 years bad luck if the superstition regarding mirrors is to be believed).

I only wonder what his parents will do when/if he does more serious damage.

Nothing. I'm basing this off of the general disciplining of their children so far, which is mostly a hands-off approach. Note the mention of the story above where we got on bad terms with them because my mom suggested they discipline their (oldest) child for using a bow and arrow in a place with people, cars, and animals constantly around.

skywalker
2009-09-23, 11:31 PM

The president of my (private) school had his offices in the middle school while I was in middle school. He had expensive thick glass put in when he moved into the office, and people always whispered that he was worried about a school shooting (this was about 1-1.5 years after Columbine).

We were building trebuchets as part of a... "learn outside the classroom" project that lasted two days. At some point, someone's sling broke early and flipped the projectile (an orange) into his window instead of across the massive field it was pointed towards. He came out screaming about how those windows were incredibly expensive and would be hell to replace.

No one pointed out to him that the glass was expensive specifically because it was supposed to be hard to break. It's best not to interrupt people like that.