PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Ivan (4E Sorcerer build help?)

The Glyphstone
2009-09-21, 10:57 PM
I've just started a 4E game, and am trying to build a Changeling Wild Magic Sorcerer with the highest AC+defenses I can manage, to work on the concept of getting right up in the enem(y/ies) face(s) then unloading with close burst powers. At level 11, any suggestions for getting my survivability as high as I possibly can to survive this semi-suicidal idea?

holywhippet
2009-09-21, 11:07 PM
Generally speaking, it's not so much your job to keep you from getting yourself hit as it is the defenders of the party. They should be using marks to convince the enemy that they are the preferred target.

Kylarra
2009-09-21, 11:08 PM
Other than the obvious armor/shield proficiencies...

White Lotus Defenses will give you +1 defenses against an enemy you hit with an at-will.

Deva Heritage grants a stance that gives all enemies -2 to hit you (as a daily though)

Mando Knight
2009-09-21, 11:09 PM
...Dragon Magic sorcerers fit better with the combat part of the concept, since they get the boost on Burning Spray and several other close burst/blast powers.

tcrudisi
2009-09-21, 11:36 PM
I'm currently playing a level 8 Sorcerer. My party consists of: a Warden that has only ever used her mark ONCE, a Rogue that doesn't understand "It's a trap - it is your job" and a Wizard that doesn't understand how to Control and instead casts Magic Missile every round. Why is this important? Well, our Defender doesn't defend and we have no healer. I'm a Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer. This means I can offer some good input on the whole "staying alive" thing (everyone else has died a few times whereas I've managed to survive).

Step 1: Leather Armor Proficiency.
Step 2: Two Weapon Fighting + Two Weapon Defense
Step 3: Sudden Scales utility power

When Sudden Scales will negate an attack, use it. I try to wait until the DM rolls a crit on me before using my halfling Second Chance. Having said that, once I become bloodied, those bets are off and I use it on the first attack that will hit me.

I use a Tooth of Chaos and the other utility power that allow me to change my roll to even/odd (my choice). Yes, sometimes I use them even when the power doesn't call for it, just to give myself a saving throw (once) or to increase my AC by 1 (many times).

There are a couple of decent Halfling feats to further boost your defenses. For gear, I would focus on armor and items that increase resistances. Yeah, sometimes you'll roll to randomly get a resist you already have, but most of the time you won't. I find resistances are very, very handy, especially if you can knock out the big ones: fire, necrotic, and poison.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-22, 02:57 AM
At level 11, any suggestions for getting my survivability as high as I possibly can to survive this semi-suicidal idea?
Take a wizard MC feat and swap one of your utility powers for Shield or for Wizard's Escape? Or grab wand proficiency and carry a wand for either.

Wear equipment that gives you resist/5 to as many elements as you can think of, and possibly a cloak of distortion so ranged enemies can't hit you.

Artanis
2009-09-22, 12:33 PM
Deva Heritage grants a stance that gives all enemies -2 to hit you (as a daily though)

He's making a Changeling :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2009-09-23, 08:36 AM
Yeah, the changeling is locked in, I'm enjoying Minor Shape Change an unhealthy amount. I did remake the character as Dragon Magic as suggested though, and I think it'll work out a lot better - I've got an AC defense only 1 point worse than the Warforged Fighter now in my Hide with Light Shield, and a dizzying assortment of Close Blast and Close Burst powers.

As a side note, I don't know if we'll have a Defender in our party in future sessions, the aforementioned Fighter is making a Warlock instead. That makes the party Warlock, Sorcerer, Wizard, and Cleric. Since I'll probably end up as the frontliner now, I'm thinking about Toughness for my level 12 feat, none of the other Paragon feats seem to boost my AC, and only Paragon Defenses improves my other saves.