PDA

View Full Version : Help developing my character, please? =)

Kiyona
2009-09-22, 10:54 AM
Hello all,

For our new campaign DM has decided to try something new. The campaign is taking place in modern times, (this very year to be exact, but in a parallell world where WW3 has broken out), using the dark heresy system.

DM decideds what we are going to play, and builds our character for us. But it is up to the players to figure out the personality and background for our characters.

I am playing a 15 year old, hyper-intelligent girl, wich I am really looking forward to since the last time I played someone that young I had a blast. :smallcool:

I am finding it kind of hard to come up with a believable but fun character though, so I need your help. Any suggestions or thoughts are very, very much appreciated.

This is what I got so far: (sorry in advance for the long post :smallredface: )

Ylva Johansson (theme song "Dance dance" by Fall Out Boy)
15 years old, third year in high school.

Looks: Thin, boyish body. Long light blond hair with blue tips. Big blue eyes with to much black eyeliner and usually an empty expression. Short blue, checkerd skirt. Falloutboy oversized Tshirt leaving a shoulder bare. Tie from same material as skirt. Knitted colorful armwarmers and striped black and white stockings. Huge pink headphones on at all times. Hellokitty shoulderbag with laptop in. Old dirty sneakers. Heavy (uhm, dont know the english name, metal spikes?) belt.

Likes: Logic, mathematics, statistics, cats, licorice, books, autumn, vampires (Twilight, duh! ^^), solwing problems, conspiracy theories. mystics,.

Dislikes: Social science, psycologi, horses, butterflies, chocolate, people, boys of her age, (hm, dont know the english word here either... everyday? Boring routines, nonexciting stuff... Vardag in swedish. Cant find a good translation. ^^), everything that doesnt follow a pattern, and as such cant be anticipated.

Ylva is very bored with everyday life. She thought it would get better once she moved from her small village to the city to study, but it is still the same boring routine.

Most of the time she is in her own world, fantasising, not paying any attention to the outside world.

She doesnt leave home without her laptop and feels very uncomfortable when there is no internet connection.

She spends time with her classmates sometime, but Ylva doesnt think they have anything incommon. She prefers to sit quite and observe when in social situations.

Her biggest dream right now is to move away from her homecity to a bigger place. There she wants to get a hold of enough money to be free to do what ever she wants. (Though, she has no idea what it is that she wants).

But really, all she wants is for something exciting to happen...

Sorry for the terrible english, I cant seem to change the language setting for my browsers spellchecker... :smallredface:

Any thoughts, comments, critiques?? Please do tell me if I have made any stupid mistakes, its been a while since I was fifteen, and this is my first modern character.

All suggestions are welcome, as I said above. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for your time fellow playgrounders!

Rhiannon87
2009-09-22, 10:57 AM
Heh, playing young characters like that can be fun. :D

The one thing I see is you seem to have a slight contradiction: under dislikes, you have "things that don't follow a pattern and can't be predicted", but then you say that she's bored by routine. Those two ideas seem to be at odds with each other. Stick with the smart, anti-social, bored out of her skull kid angle... it seems like it'll be fun. :D

Kiyona
2009-09-22, 11:02 AM
Rhiannon87

Oh, I totally missed that. Thanks a lot! =)
I figured, since she is really smart, she will be able to predict a lot of things through statistics and mathematics. But really random stuff will through her off her game. I see now how that will conflict with her being bored and wishing for something out of the ordinary. I will have to think about that for a bit. =)

Mando Knight
2009-09-22, 11:24 AM
The one thing I see is you seem to have a slight contradiction: under dislikes, you have "things that don't follow a pattern and can't be predicted", but then you say that she's bored by routine.

It seems to be an inherent contradiction, but it could be construed in other ways:

-She thinks she's bored with routine, and so travels out into the world to have adventures. Obvious character development leads her to finding out that she didn't really want what she asked for.

-She's bored with her current routine, since it's not challenging enough. She's solved all of the interesting problems in her existing routine, and needs something different to keep herself occupied. This could lead her in a number of different paths...

Set
2009-09-22, 11:27 AM
That's a fun kind of contradiction to build into her character.

She rolls her eyes and grouses about how predictable and routine and *boring* everyone is, but the moment somebody does something unpredictable, it frustrates her that she didn't see it coming, and she gets unreasonably snappish!

She could also be very concerned with appearing edgy, and only liking things that aren't 'common.' She might secretly *love* to listen to top 40 pop music, be-bopping along in her room, out of sight, but around strangers she'll only listen to utterly bizarre atonal world music or whale song or incomprehensible death-metal or Gregorian chants (or some nightmarish mash-up of several of the above!), because it's very important to her self-identity to be *different* from the 'herd.' She may swoon over Twilight, and have seen it enough that she can recite it line for line, but she'll turn up her nose at it's popularity in public, rather than admit that, deep down, she's just another teenaged girl. The biggest concession one might get out of her is a scoff that the book wasn't very well-written, while she denies that she's even seen the movie.

Kiyona
2009-09-22, 11:34 AM
Set,

Thats hysterical! I am so going with that, especially this part:

She rolls her eyes and grouses about how predictable and routine and *boring* everyone is, but the moment somebody does something unpredictable, it frustrates her that she didn't see it coming, and she gets unreasonably snappish!

But I also loved the wanting to be edgy, and defining herself around not being part of the "herd", despite being a normal teenaged girl.

Thank you so much, this really added some much needed depth to my character. :smallsmile: