PDA

View Full Version : "My Speech Is On D&D..."

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-22, 12:49 PM
So, the rough draft for my informative speech is due today (in an hour, actually! :smalleek:), and it's on Dungeons & Dragons.

I've got a good general idea of where I'm going to go with it, but how do I cite my sources and whatnot in a speech?

For that matter, I also wanted to put on a slide show with various D&D pictures in it during the speech, but is there any legal stuff I'd have to worry about in doing so?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-22, 12:53 PM
If you're not making profits, then you're most likely fine. /not a lawyer!!! Don't ask legal stuffs on the internet!

What you're doing is basically: Explaining a game with a very, very complicated system.

You can leave much stuff out, really.

How long are you planning the speech to be?

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-22, 12:56 PM
How long are you planning the speech to be?Around 5 minutes.

Erloas
2009-09-22, 12:58 PM
I've got a good general idea of where I'm going to go with it, but how do I cite my sources and whatnot in a speech?

For that matter, I also wanted to put on a slide show with various D&D pictures in it during the speech, but is there any legal stuff I'd have to worry about in doing so?

It depends on the nature of the speech and type of information you are using. It is generally easy enough to simply state where the information is coming from, you don't need page numbers and such, just a general idea. Of course what is needed for citation comes down to what the teach is expecting more then anything.

As for using pictures, especially when it comes to doing stuff for school, that almost always comes down to fair use. Even something that is under copyright can be used in some situations. As long as you aren't claiming it as your own work and aren't trying to make money off of it you can use it without real issue.

Dragonrider
2009-09-22, 12:58 PM
If you're not making profits, then you're most likely fine. /not a lawyer!!! Don't ask legal stuffs on the internet!

You have to cite sources or else it's plagiarism. :smalltongue:

I'm trying to remember what my brother did in his speech class - write it out and put it on a separate sheet of paper, perhaps? And, of course, when you're actually speaking you can do verbal cues like "according to the Player's Handbook, version 3.5...."

Telonius
2009-09-22, 01:02 PM
"Throughout this presentation, I'll refer to various rules that can be found in the Player's Handbook (version 3.5), Dungeon Masters' Guide, and (whatever other book you're using). They're also freely available online through the Wizards of the Coast Website under their Open Gaming License."

That ought to cover it.

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-22, 03:29 PM
So, turns out it was supposed to be a rough draft summary; I'm never supposed to turn in a written speech, it appears. Teacher wasn't happy with that. :smallfrown:

I threw an outline together and submitted it; it was passable, although poorly organized. :smalleek:

Icewalker
2009-09-22, 04:25 PM
To reference copyright style stuff in the speech, if you are going to have visual stuff, slides or whatnot, when you move to a conclusion you can have the final one be a list of references and sources.

Muz
2009-09-22, 05:13 PM
So, turns out it was supposed to be a rough draft summary; I'm never supposed to turn in a written speech, it appears. Teacher wasn't happy with that. :smallfrown:

The teacher should've communicated that a bit more effectively then, I should say. (Hrm, and this person is teaching you speech communications?)

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-22, 05:48 PM
Taking some books and holding them up in your speech to show where they come from might be good as well.

Lupy
2009-09-22, 06:03 PM
I second saying where your information is from beforehand.

Any chance we can read your writeup that you didn't have to write?

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-22, 06:16 PM
Err, I kinda killed it. :smalleek:

Oh, and as for the not knowing about it thing, that's my own fault. She sent me an e-mail about it, and I only read the bit about it being a "rough draft."

Lupy
2009-09-22, 07:22 PM
Err, I kinda killed it. :smalleek:

Oh, and as for the not knowing about it thing, that's my own fault. She sent me an e-mail about it, and I only read the bit about it being a "rough draft."

That's too bad. :/

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-22, 07:29 PM
A rough draft of a rough draft....

To be perfectly honest, you don't need to cite where you are getting these pictures. Especially if its just for a highschool speech. People are being overly anal here.

If you really think your teacher is going to go crazy over you not writing your sources, maybe you should email her and ask her what she wants from you.

She will know best about what she expects, not us.

Trobby
2009-09-22, 07:40 PM
Generally, if you're using images that you got from online, you should be safe as long as you cite the source of those images. If you have an accompanying powerpoint, you can put the sources in the last slide. Or if you prefer, you can hand the sources in on an extra sheet of paper and just type them out.

Don't feel bad about misinterpreting the teacher. :/ If she says "rough draft", I'd make an entire speech too. And frankly, if she's frustrated at you for being ahead of the curve, then she's being way too picky anyway.

But if you're still doing this speech, then at least now you've got a step up on the other students. And if you really need to cite something, just drag out the PhB and cite it as a textbook.

Or cite whatever source you have on-hand. Use this (http://citationmachine.net/) for easy citation *Just enter the info, and copy-paste the result*

Syka
2009-09-22, 09:42 PM
When I did my D&D speech I used Google to find images and used those. I don't think I cited anything. I also brought my books in and a sample character sheet, since I was sticking to how to make a character for a newb.

I could just be not remembering, but I think we only had to cite stuff in the outlines we handed in, and I don't think my pictures had to be included. At least, my teacher didn't seem to mind.

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-24, 05:59 PM
Well, after seeing some of my classmates deliver their speeches amidst a sea of "umms" and lack of eye contact, I doubt I'll have the worst grade in the class... At least I cited my sources.

By the way, this is a college class, for those of you who might've thought it was high school.

Jalor
2009-09-24, 07:30 PM
By the way, this is a college class, for those of you who might've thought it was high school.
Reference sources in your speech. Telonius has the right idea.

Include a slide at the end citing sources for your pictures, or get them off Wikimedia Commons; it operates under a Creative Commons license, and you're free to take pictures from it for personal use.

Lioness
2009-09-24, 11:40 PM
Well, after seeing some of my classmates deliver their speeches amidst a sea of "umms" and lack of eye contact, I doubt I'll have the worst grade in the class... At least I cited my sources.

I get this...way too often.

I usually just say 'According to _______, the statistic is this' etc.

Trobby
2009-09-25, 11:31 AM

I immediately thought "College". No High School class would be awesome enough to allow you to do a speech on Dungeons & Dragons.

But tell us more about how you did! Did they seem interested? Did your teacher like it?

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-25, 01:39 PM
But tell us more about how you did! Did they seem interested? Did your teacher like it?Well, I'm not actually giving the speech until Tuesday.

I also had to present the class with a survey about D&D; mine basically asked them about their experience with RPGs in general, and then asked if they'd played D&D and if yes, what kind of characters they played.

Out of the class, most have only had experience with video game RPGs (if any experience at all); only one had played D&D, and she said that the character she played "wasn't relevant." I'm the one who came up with the survey; isn't it my prerogative to decide whether it's relevant or not?

Anyway, after I do my speech, I'll let you know how it went.

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-30, 08:27 PM
Gave the speech. I kinda rambled a bit too long on character creation, and since the speech was supposed to be ~5 minutes, and...

Oh, my goodness, is Cartoon Network showing a parody of Star Wars, but with thumbs?!? :smalleek:

EDIT: Ugh, that was awful.

Anyway, yeah, gonna watch a video of myself giving the speech.