PDA

View Full Version : The truth about Belkar!

multilis
2009-09-22, 01:13 PM
Belkar is one of the good guys. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0613.html last panel.

Yet the celestials claim Belkar is super evil.

So therefore the gods are hiding something (as even V now suspects about Snarl), Belkar is really Snarl, the Sexy, shoeless God of War! (Notice how we have no origin of Belkar unlike the rest of Oots)

And within a year he is going back to his holy realm (thus not long for this world), and the other gods just call him evil because of their insane jealousy! (We know how the Gods are very much into non-compete clauses from the fiends)

Zanaril
2009-09-22, 01:14 PM
In that situation, "good" is relative.

Conuly
2009-09-22, 01:14 PM
No, Belkar is *not* one of the good guys except that he tags along with them. Whats-his-face asked "how do they keep doing that?" and Belkar answered, evil-to-evil, that it's a trade secret. Belkar doesn't know how it works either, but he's happy to use it when it happens.

multilis
2009-09-22, 01:17 PM
No, Belkar is *not* one of the good guys except that he tags along with them. Whats-his-face asked "how do they keep doing that?" and Belkar answered, evil-to-evil, that it's a trade secret. Belkar doesn't know how it works either, but he's happy to use it when it happens.
No, it is clearly good guys *plural* in reference to saving the damsel in distress. Belkar does the first save.

Silverraptor
2009-09-22, 02:51 PM

I like how you explained that.

JaxGaret
2009-09-22, 05:17 PM
Did you miss the other 600+ strips where Belkar is explictly shown to be Evil?

Trixie
2009-09-22, 05:25 PM
Did you miss the point? :smalltongue:

Sewblon
2009-09-22, 05:35 PM
If you look at Belkar's actual behavior he is at least as evil as anyone on Team Evil, he is just less ambitious and therefore evil on a smaller scale. But I can't imagine the strip still being funny without him. I wouldn't be surprised if once he died he eventually conquered the Lower Planes, which would put him on a threat level well above Team Evil and possibly result in a sequel series.

Kish
2009-09-22, 05:40 PM
But I can't imagine the strip still being funny without him so when he dies he will probably return as a vampire or something.
Vampires are in the world. Belkar is not long for the world.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 06:24 PM
Rich explained somewhere that he wanted Belkar's background to remain ambiguous otherwise his background might seem sympatheticc and he didn't want him to be that way.
(somebody else can clarify this better than me.

also, you're taking something the badguy is saying as true. Does this mean you agree with everything Zycon says?

NerfTW
2009-09-22, 07:27 PM
Belkar is one of the good guys. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0613.html last panel.

Yet the celestials claim Belkar is super evil.

So therefore the gods are hiding something (as even V now suspects about Snarl), Belkar is really Snarl, the Sexy, shoeless God of War! (Notice how we have no origin of Belkar unlike the rest of Oots)

And within a year he is going back to his holy realm (thus not long for this world), and the other gods just call him evil because of their insane jealousy! (We know how the Gods are very much into non-compete clauses from the fiends)

You know what never gets old? Ridiculous alignment "debates" that are so absurd as to be undefendable.

Sewblon
2009-09-22, 07:29 PM
also, you're taking something the badguy is saying as true. Does this mean you agree with everything Zycon says? It is Xykon; Zs are for *******.

Bibliomancer
2009-09-22, 07:31 PM
Rich explained somewhere that he wanted Belkar's background to remain ambiguous otherwise his background might seem sympatheticc and he didn't want him to be that way.
(somebody else can clarify this better than me.

You mean the heart-wrenching tale of his defeat at Throw the Stick and the Rock shortly thereafter?

also, you're taking something the badguy is saying as true. Does this mean you agree with everything Zycon says?

Why not? He's probably far more trustworthy than Xykon.

Conuly
2009-09-22, 07:34 PM
No, it is clearly good guys *plural* in reference to saving the damsel in distress. Belkar does the first save.

Good guys is a generic term. Every time Mr. Whatsit corners a good guy, one of their teammates swoops in at the last minute and saves them.

Similarly, if he'd yelled out "How do the girls keep doing that?" and Belkar replied "Trade secret", you wouldn't be claiming that Belkar's gender is suddenly as ambiguous as V's, right? Or if Haley and Celia happened to be the same species and he yelled "How do humans keep doing that?", well, Belkar isn't suddenly not a halfling because he knows the answer.

AshDesert
2009-09-22, 07:43 PM
Hmmmmmmm........ Yeah, I'm going with obvious troll is obvious.:smallwink:

T-O-E
2009-09-22, 08:02 PM
People actually took this thread seriously?

Doctor Xerox
2009-09-22, 08:04 PM
Hmmmmmmm........ Yeah, I'm going with obvious troll is obvious.:smallwink:Agreed. But I'd still like to point out that "good guys" in the comic OP linked is lower-cased, and therefore not referring to the alignment "Good" as Rich always capitalizes the word when speaking about alignments. Lowercase "good guys" means protagonists, and to be a protagonist requires no certain alignment.