PDA

View Full Version : Fast talking base class *Now PEACH Obfuscator please critique*

BorisTheblade
2009-09-22, 04:46 PM
Hey everyone! I have been lurking here for a long time, but just got around to registering. I love all the custom content people have made.

I have a new game coming up, and I want to play a Charlatan (Dragon Mag 335 page 62).

Now my thing is, I really don't want to be melee nor a caster. There is not really a base class that I know of that would compliment a passive/cowardly play style that also fits with the Charlatan Prc. I have tried making my own class, and my DM is reviewing it, but it probably sucks. I was wondering if anyone knows of a base class that can still help out in combat, but more like a bard with buffs. The class is knowledgeable, no spell casting and not really one that gets into melee.

Like I said, the character will be cowardly in combat, so getting a bunch of fighting melee or ranged stuff isn't going to go with the play style.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look at this. Maybe later I will post my base class and see what you guys think.

*UPDATE* I decided to post the class. Please note it is not original, I just looked at abilities that I thought would go well with the PrC Charlatan. I have read the rules and I think it is fine, but if not I will remove it. I renamed abilities to keep it legit. Anyway, this is my first class ever, so let me have it.

Obfuscator
Hit Die: d8.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|0|0|2|2|Word on the Street (tactics) 3/day, Ancient Knowledge
2|1|0|3|3|Plan
3|2|1|3|3|Word on the Street 4/day, Fast-Talk
4|3|1|4|4|Cunning Defense
5|3|1|4|4|Word on the Street (puissance)
6|4|2|5|5|Word on the Street 5/day, Brains over Brawn
7|5|2|5|5|React First
8|6/1|2|6|6|Word on the Street (foe)
9|6/1|3|6|6|Word on the Street 6/day, Scathing Wit
10|7/2|3|7|7|Talk Down
11|8/3|3|7|7|Word on the Street (dread secret)
12|9/4|4|8|8|Word on the Street 7/day, Intuition
13|9/4|4|8|8|Improved Cunning Defense
14|10/5|4|9|9|Breakthrough
15|11/6/1|5|9|9|Word on the Street (foreknowledge)
16|12/7/2|5|10|10|Favor
17|12/7/2|5|10|10|Cunning Dodge
18|13/8/3|6|11|11|Word on the Street 9/day
19|14/9/4|6|11|11|
20|15/10/5|6|12|12|Sow Distrust[/table]
Class Skills (6 + int modifier): Obfuscators have a huge repository of knowledge, allowing them to treat any skill as a class skill.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Obfuscator is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip. Obfuscators are also proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Word on the Street (Ex):
Three times per day, an Obfuscator can draw upon his expansive knowledge of monsters, granting his allies benefits against the creatures they face. Doing this counts as a move action. A Obfuscator unlocks new Word on the Street abilities as his level increases and can also call upon his Word on the Street more often, gaining one additional daily use for every three Obfuscator levels (4/day at 3rd level, 5/day at 6th level, and so forth).
Using Word on the Street requires a Knowledge check of a type appropriate to the creature faced. A Knowledge (arcana) check reveals secrets of magical beasts, Knowledge (dungeoneering) pertains to aberrations, Knowledge (religion) covers undead, and Knowledge (the planes) applies to outsiders and elementals. The DC of the check is 15. Most of the Obfuscator’s Word on the Street abilities increases in effectiveness if he succeeds on his Knowledge check by 10 or more. Word on the Street can only be used once against any given creature.
The Obfuscator’s Word on the Street can affect a single creature or all creatures of the same race, depending on the effect used. A target creature must be within 60 feet, and the Obfuscator must be aware of the creature’s presence, although he need not have a line of sight to it. The effects of Word on the Street last for until the end of combat, unless stated otherwise.
Tactics: The Obfuscator knows the general combat behaviors of creatures of that race, granting his allies a +1 bonus to attack rolls made against them. For example, an Obfuscator confronted by corruption eaters who succeeded on his Knowledge (dungeoneering) check would grant his allies the attack bonus against all the corruption eaters they fought in that encounter. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 10 or more, then this bonus increases to +2. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 20 or more, then this bonus increases to +3, and so on.
Puissance: Starting at 5th level, the Obfuscator can use his Word on the Street to help his allies fight off the corrupting influence of other creatures. Allies within 60 feet of the Obfuscator gain a +1 bonus on saving throws against the affected creature’s abilities. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 10 or more, this bonus increases to +2. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 20 or more, this bonus increases to +3, and so on.
Foe: Starting at 8th level, an Obfuscator can direct his allies to attack vital spots of his enemies. On a successful Knowledge check, he grants them a bonus to weapon damage rolls made against the target creatures equal to 1d6 points of damage. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 10 or more, then this bonus increases to 2d6. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 20 or more, then this bonus increases to 3d6, and so on.
Dread Secret: By speaking aloud a dread secret of the target creature, an Obfuscator of 11th level or higher can dazzle a target creature for 1 round. Unlike other Word on the Street, this ability can be used only against a single creature. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 10 or more, then the target is dazed for 1 round. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 20 or more, then the target is stunned for 1 round (if the target is immune to being stunned but not immune to being dazed, such as most undead, then the Obfuscator can choose to daze the target instead of stunning it).
Foreknowledge: Starting at 14th level, an Obfuscator can better prepare his allies for the attacks of the affected creature, making it harder for the creature to land blows and successfully deal damage. Allies within 30 feet of the Obfuscator gain a +1 insight bonus to Armor Class that applies to attacks by the affected creature only. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 10 or more, this bonus increases to +2. If the Obfuscator succeeds on his Knowledge check by 20 or more, this bonus increases to +3, and so on.

Ancient Knowledge (Ex):
The Obfuscator has a storehouse of useful and not-so useful knowledge in his brain. As a full-round action, you can make a level check (1d20 + Obfuscator’s class level + Intelligence modifier) to see if he knows something potentially helpful regarding a current dilemma. The result of this check will never simply solve the character’s problem, but may give him a hint as to the significance of a place, time, or thing.
An Obfuscator adds half his class level (minimum 1) to all Knowledge skill checks and may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

Plan (Ex):
Prior to a dramatic situation, either combat- or skill-related, an Obfuscator can develop a plan of action to handle the situation. If combat or the situation has already been started, the Obfuscator can take a full-round action to activate this ability. After combat starts, all allies and enemies that can hear and understand the Obfuscator must make a sense-motive check opposed by the Obfuscator's bluff check. Allies gain a bonus equal to their intelligence modifier to this check and the Obfuscator can lower his result by a maximum of 10. Allies that succeed the check gain the appropriate bonus for the encounter while enemies that succeed negate the bonus against themselves only for all the Obfuscator's allies.
The Obfuscator makes an Intelligence check (DC 10) with a bonus equal to his Obfuscator level. The result of the check provides the Obfuscator and his allies with a circumstance bonus. An Obfuscator can’t take 10 or 20 when making this check.
{table=head]Check Result|Bonus
9 or lower|+0 (check failed)
10 -14|+1
15—24|+2
25 - 34|+3
35 - 44|+4
45 - 55|+5[/table]
This bonus can be applied to all skill checks and attack rolls made by the Obfuscator and his allies, but the bonus lasts a number of rounds equal to the Obfuscator's Intelligence modifier. After that time, reduce the bonus by 1 point (to a minimum of +0) for every additional round the situation continues, as the vagaries of circumstance begin to unravel even the best-laid plans.

Fast-Talk (Ex):
The Obfuscator has a way with words when attempting to con and deceive. With this ability, he applies his Obfuscator level as a bonus on any Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Perform, Sense Motive or Profession (Gamble) checks he makes while attempting to lie, cheat, or otherwise bend the truth.

Cunning Defense (Ex):
You study your opponents and learn to anticipate their attacks. Starting at 4th level, you can gain your Intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus to Armor Class against one opponent for 1 round. Using this ability is an immediate action. You gain this benefit even while wearing medium or heavy armor. You can use this ability multiple times to gain a bonus against different opponents, but you cannot use it more than once during your turn against a single foe.

Brains over Brawn (Ex):
At 6th level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.
You may also use you Intelligence bonus instead of Strength or Dexterity bonus on attacks rolls.

React First (Ex):
Starting at 7th level, an Obfuscator gains the ability to react first when trying to make a deal or mediate a settlement. The Obfuscator must make contact and speak to the participants prior to the start of combat. If he does this, he gains a free readied action that allows him to make either a move or attack action if either side in the negotiation decides to start hostilities. The Obfuscator gets to act before any initiative checks are made, in effect giving him the benefit of surprise.

Scathing Wit (Su):
An 9th level Obfuscator can leave his target a dispirited, demoralized shell with a few choice, cutting remarks. The target can make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Obfuscator's HD + Cha modifier). If the save fails, the target suffers a penalty equal to your Charisma bonus on attack rolls and saving throws.
This penalty lasts for as long as the Obfuscator verbally assaults the target (a move action), for a maximum number of rounds equal to half the Obfuscator's level plus a number of rounds equal to his Charisma mod after he stops. This is a mind-affecting, language-dependent effect. The target must be able to see and clearly hear the Obfuscator.

Talk Down (Ex):
An Obfuscator of 10th level or higher can use a calming tone and quick thinking to talk his way out of trouble. Either prior to the start of hostilities or during combat, the Obfuscator can talk down a single opponent within 15 feet of his position or otherwise able to hear his voice. The target must be able to understand the Obfuscator. That opponent immediately stops fighting and reverts to an indifferent attitude regarding the Obfuscator and the situation in general. Any hostile action by the Obfuscator or by one of his allies directed at the opponent allows the opponent to act as he sees fit.
To initiate this ability, the Obfuscator must spend a full- round action talking to his opponent. The opponent makes a Will saving throw. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 Obfuscator' HD + Obfuscator’s Charisma bonus. If the save fails, the opponent stops fighting. If the save succeeds, the opponent continues as normal.
At 13th level, an Obfuscator can talk down a number of opponents equal to his Charisma bonus within 15 feet of his position or within 15 feet of a television, radio, or telephone broadcasting his message.
At 16th level, the range extends to 30 feet and covers all opponents who can hear and understand his voice.

Intuition (Ex):
The Obfuscator has an innate ability to sense trouble in the air. The Obfuscator can make a Will saving throw (DC 15). On a successful save, the hero gets a hunch that everything is all right, or she gets a bad feeling about a specific situation, based on the GM’s best guess relating to the circumstances. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to the character’s Obfuscator level.

Improved Cunning Defense (Ex):
At 13th Level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus to Armor Class. Unlike the standard cunning defense ability, you do not gain this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Favor (Ex):
The Obfuscator has the ability to acquire minor aid from anyone he meets. By making a favor check, an Obfuscator can gain important information without going through the time and trouble of doing a lot of research. Favors can also be used to acquire the loan of equipment or documents, or to receive other minor assistance in the course of an adventure.
To make a favor check, roll a d20 and add the character’s favor bonus, equal to the character’s Obfuscator level. The GM sets the DC based on the scope of the favor being requested. The DC ranges from 10 for a simple favor to as high as 30 for formidable and highly dangerous, expensive, or illegal favors. An Obfuscator can’t take 10 or 20 on this check, nor can he retry the check for the same (or virtually the same) favor. Favors should help advance the plot of an adventure. A favor that would enable a character to avoid an adventure altogether should always be unavailable to the character, regardless of the result of a favor check.
The GM should carefully monitor an Obfuscator’s use of favors to ensure that this ability isn’t abused. The success or failure of a mission shouldn’t hinge on the use of a favor, and getting a favor shouldn’t replace good roleplaying or the use of other skills. The GM may disallow any favor deemed to be disruptive to the game.

Cunning Dodge (Ex):
Starting at 17th level, your luck, reflexes, and intuition allow you to avoid an attack or spell that would otherwise defeat you. If you take damage that would reduce you to 0 or fewer hit points, you can use this ability as an immediate action to ignore the damage. You dodge out of the way, take cover from a spell, or otherwise escape. You can use this ability once per day.

Sow Distrust (Ex):
An Obfuscator of 20th level or higher can turn one character against another by sowing seeds of distrust. The Obfuscator must spend a full-round action and know the name of the character he is attempting to persuade as well as the name of the character toward whom the target’s distrust will be directed. The target must be able to hear and understand the Obfuscator. The target makes a Will save. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 Obfuscator HD + Obfuscator’s Charisma bonus. If the target fails the save, his attitude toward the other designated character worsens by one step: helpful turns to friendly, friendly to indifferent, indifferent to unfriendly, unfriendly to hostile (see the Diplomacy skill, page 56). The target makes a Will save whenever the Obfuscator uses this ability against him. As long as the target continues to fail the Will save, the Obfuscator can continue taking full-round actions to worsen the target’s attitude toward a designated character. When the target’s attitude drops to hostile, he attacks the designated character.
A successful Will save doesn’t restore previous attitude shifts, but it does render the target immune for 24 hours to further attempts by the Obfuscator to sow distrust.
The Obfuscator can’t use this ability on his allies.

FlyingWhale
2009-09-22, 05:48 PM
Ya know... I was just speaking with someone briefly about Discworld... Reminds me of my favorite character... Rincewind :)

That gives me some ideas! They seem pretty fun and what not... but though I think we are talking custom game material here... What is the game system in place? If this was 3e I could go on and on about class features... But if it's 4e that leaves it all up to powers... Well I wonder what you have going on here?? Lemme know so I can spew forth my ideas!!! :smallbiggrin:

BorisTheblade
2009-09-22, 05:59 PM
Sorry, that would def help if I told you guys the system. We are playing Pathfinder, which is like revised 3.5 from what I understand.

FlyingWhale
2009-09-22, 06:59 PM
Sorry, that would def help if I told you guys the system. We are playing Pathfinder, which is like revised 3.5 from what I understand.

So here's a quick note, I think I could help out with some passive/cowardly features that would play into a mechanical benefit... Oh, I think I will input some flavour text just for... well... flavour. such as:

{Free/Swift}Fickle Fate: You let out a shrill yelp as an ally steps in to strike down your would be attacker, but leaving themselves open for attack.
Trigger: An adjacent enemy goes to attack you.
Effect: Any ally adjacent to yourself or the triggering enemy, makes an attack of opportunity against the enemy. The ally must be able to shift 5ft(one square) or attack from current location, and attack or the feature has no effect. If the attack succeeds the triggering enemy must make a concentration check (DC=damage dealt) or lose the attack.
Special: Must be a melee attack.
Miss: The ally and yourself are both flat-footed until the beginning of your next turns.

Now that is just kinda a boost for an ally, free damage and all that. Maybe broken but these are all just going to be top-of-head ideas, you understand.:smallsmile:

{Swift/Free Action}Ingenious Stupidity: You notice a critical flaw in your enemies fighting style that no one else seemed to spot. So you inform your comrades...By shouting across the battlefield.
Target: Any enemy within sight engaged in melee combat with an ally.
Effect: Any ally currently engaged with the target and the target are considered flat-footed until the beginning of your next turn.

{Passive}Impromptu Expertise: A chair, a club, a brick, what's the difference?
Effect: You do not take the -4 penalty for wielding improvised weapons, infact you gain weapon specialization with any improvised weapons you use.

As soon as I think of some more I'll post 'em up! Sorry for the extreme, delayed response... I had some family issues to take care of! Hope it gives some inspiration in the mean-time!

{edited for action types}

Silverscale
2009-09-22, 07:06 PM
No combat, no casting, party buffer? Obviously Charisma is going to be very important since you're saying the character is a "Fast talker". Definately have Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive as class skill probably with some sort of class bonus to them as well. Probably want something like evasion/dodge and improved evasion/uncanny dodge also for the times when combat is unavoidable, cuz eventually something will get the drop on you. Since they don't get into combat they'll have poor BAB. I'ld assume that Will would be they're good Save.......I'm just rattling off randomness right now but hopefully some of this helps.

BorisTheblade
2009-09-22, 08:59 PM
The base class I made is not original what so ever. It is pretty much abilities taken from other classes that seemed to fit the idea of the class :smallbiggrin:

Here are some examples: (I called the class Obfuscator. Yea its lame I know)

React First (Ex):
Starting at 7th level, a Obfuscator gains the ability to react first when trying to make a deal or mediate a settlement. The Obfuscator must make contact and speak to the participants prior to the start of combat. If he does this, he gains a free readied action that allows him to make either a move or attack action if either side in the negotiation decides to start hostilities. The Obfuscator gets to act before any initiative checks are made, in effect giving him the benefit of surprise.

Talk Down (Ex):
A Obfuscator of 10th level or higher can use a calming tone and quick thinking to talk his way out of trouble. Either prior to the start of hostilities or during combat, the Obfuscator can talk down a single opponent within 15 feet of his position or otherwise able to hear his voice. The target must be able to understand the Obfuscator. That opponent immediately stops fighting and reverts to an indifferent attitude regarding the Obfuscator and the situation in general. Any hostile action by the Obfuscator or by one of his allies directed at the opponent allows the opponent to act as he sees fit.
To initiate this ability, the Obfuscator must spend a full- round action talking to his opponent. The opponent makes a Will saving throw. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 Obfuscator' HD + Obfuscator’s Charisma bonus. If the save fails, the opponent stops fighting. If the save succeeds, the opponent continues as normal.
At 13th level, a Obfuscator can talk down a number of opponents equal to his Charisma bonus within 15 feet of his position or within 15 feet of a television, radio, or telephone broadcasting his message.
At 16th level, the range extends to 30 feet and covers all opponents who can hear and understand his voice.

Sow Distrust (Ex):
A Obfuscator of 20th level or higher can turn one character against another by sowing seeds of distrust. The Obfuscator must spend a full-round action and know the name of the character he is attempting to persuade as well as the name of the character toward whom the target’s distrust will be directed. The target must be able to hear and understand the Obfuscator. The target makes a Will save. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 Obfuscator HD + Obfuscator’s Charisma bonus. If the target fails the save, his attitude toward the other designated character worsens by one step: helpful turns to friendly, friendly to indifferent, indifferent to unfriendly, unfriendly to hostile (see the Diplomacy skill, page 56). The target makes a Will save whenever the Obfuscator uses this ability against him. As long as the target continues to fail the Will save, the Obfuscator can continue taking full-round actions to worsen the target’s attitude toward a designated character. When the target’s attitude drops to hostile, he attacks the designated character.
A successful Will save doesn’t restore previous attitude shifts, but it does render the target immune for 24 hours to further attempts by the Obfuscator to sow distrust.
The Obfuscator can’t use this ability on his allies.

Those are from the Negotiator class from D20 Modern.

BorisTheblade
2009-09-24, 11:55 AM
So here's a quick note, I think I could help out with some passive/cowardly features that would play into a mechanical benefit... Oh, I think I will input some flavour text just for... well... flavour. such as:

{Free/Swift}Fickle Fate: You let out a shrill yelp as an ally steps in to strike down your would be attacker, but leaving themselves open for attack.
Trigger: An adjacent enemy goes to attack you.
Effect: Any ally adjacent to yourself or the triggering enemy, makes an attack of opportunity against the enemy. The ally must be able to shift 5ft(one square) or attack from current location, and attack or the feature has no effect. If the attack succeeds the triggering enemy must make a concentration check (DC=damage dealt) or lose the attack.
Special: Must be a melee attack.
Miss: The ally and yourself are both flat-footed until the beginning of your next turns.

Now that is just kinda a boost for an ally, free damage and all that. Maybe broken but these are all just going to be top-of-head ideas, you understand.:smallsmile:

{Swift/Free Action}Ingenious Stupidity: You notice a critical flaw in your enemies fighting style that no one else seemed to spot. So you inform your comrades...By shouting across the battlefield.
Target: Any enemy within sight engaged in melee combat with an ally.
Effect: Any ally currently engaged with the target and the target are considered flat-footed until the beginning of your next turn.

{Passive}Impromptu Expertise: A chair, a club, a brick, what's the difference?
Effect: You do not take the -4 penalty for wielding improvised weapons, infact you gain weapon specialization with any improvised weapons you use.

As soon as I think of some more I'll post 'em up! Sorry for the extreme, delayed response... I had some family issues to take care of! Hope it gives some inspiration in the mean-time!

{edited for action types}

I do like these ideas. I wish there was just a base class that I could take instead of trying to make one. :smalltongue:

Sudduth
2009-09-24, 03:48 PM
Er...You might be looking for the "Healer" class, it's in Complete Divine if I'm not mistaken. But as far as a non-combat character personality goes, you can have a fighter that is that way. Stuff like that is all in personality, not in class. However I lol'd at Ingenious Stupidity. Also the Improvisation is given to Drunken Masters look it up in Complete Warrior, it's a pretty sweet skill.

vampire2948
2009-09-24, 03:52 PM
Er...You might be looking for the "Healer" class, it's in Complete Divine if I'm not mistaken. But as far as a non-combat character personality goes, you can have a fighter that is that way. Stuff like that is all in personality, not in class. However I lol'd at Ingenious Stupidity. Also the Improvisation is given to Drunken Masters look it up in Complete Warrior, it's a pretty sweet skill.

Healer is in the Miniatures handbook.

You should take a look at Marshal, from the same book - that's pretty similar to what you're looking for,maybe.

BorisTheblade
2009-09-24, 07:07 PM
I posted my base class. I edited the first post with it so please take a look. Be nice :smalleek: