PDA

View Full Version : A good Gestalt for a warlock?

Scaboroth
2009-09-23, 04:09 AM
So, we're starting a new game with just a couple of guys, and DM decided to give us a little advantage and let us play gestalt. Which we've never done before. Although, I really don't see any difficulty at all, it looks easy, almost elegant even in the way they set up the rules for that. Anyway, it's a mid-level game, like 8-10 we'll be starting at. My buddy's gonna make himself a Mystic Theurge and go Wizard//Cleric straight through. He'll be doing all the buffing and healing. This leaves a lot of options up to me. To keep combat interesting, W//C will be summoning interesting things, and I'll get the Leadership feat so I can fill the field with my low-level goons. Get a cohort who's good at boosting other groups of people, like perhaps a Bard or an Archivist.

And then there's me. My mother was a witch (she was burned alive) and there's a demon or a 'loth even not too far back in my family tree. I'm a Warlock through and through. Blasting is my game, and I like to play. So what should I match up with in my gestalt, to ideally create a good synergy? What complements a Warlock's talents, and what other niches/roles can I accomplish with this character?

Edit: Sorry for not mentioning; just about all books are allowed. DM is very forgiving about what classes he includes, as long as you can justify it for your character concept. Plus, he owns almost all of the 3.5 books and doesn't mind getting some use out of them.

taltamir
2009-09-23, 04:10 AM
what books are allowed?

Kurald Galain
2009-09-23, 04:27 AM
Warlock synergizes well with Rogue, because you can apply sneak attack to your eldritch blasts. Be sure to pick up the invocation that turns you invisible at will.

charl
2009-09-23, 04:28 AM
Rogue could be useful. You could sneak attack with your eldritch blast, and all those extra skill points make for a versatile warlock, plus there's a lot of utility invocations that work well for a rogue (flying, invisibility, huge boosts to certain skills and so on).

Cyclocone
2009-09-23, 04:36 AM
Eldritch Blast doesn't have any components, right?
If i remebered that correctly, a PsyWar/Psion could be good, since schizm would give you twice the bang for your eldritch-buck.
And the power-list would give you some versatility and good defence, something 'locks kinda suck at.

Sorcerer/Fiend Blooded would add lots of options too and it's got CHA synergy and the flavour is pretty much spot on.

charl
2009-09-23, 04:45 AM
Eldritch Blast doesn't have any components, right?
If i remebered that correctly, a PsyWar/Psion could be good, since schizm would give you twice the bang for your eldritch-buck.
And the power-list would give you some versatility and good defence, something 'locks kinda suck at.

Sorcerer/Fiend Blooded would add lots of options too and it's got CHA synergy and the flavour is pretty much spot on.

Eldritch blast doesn't have any components. It's an at-will SLA.

The concept of gestalting a warlock with a psion is an interesting one (even though you didn't really present it). It certainly would make for a very blasty character, though I'm not sure how well the two synergize.

olentu
2009-09-23, 04:52 AM
Eldritch blast doesn't have any components. It's an at-will SLA.

The concept of gestalting a warlock with a psion is an interesting one (even though you didn't really present it). It certainly would make for a very blasty character, though I'm not sure how well the two synergize.

Eldritch Blast blast does have somatic components unlike a normal spell like ability.

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-23, 04:54 AM
Warlock combos with a lot of classes, depending.

If you're going Eldritch Glaive Warlock, then Fighter/barbarian can go well.
Paladin is good, if you focus on charisma. Sorceror can be as well.
Rogue, as has been stated, synergizes well.

Swordsage is remarkable, in that it gives you a whole new bag of tricks... ESPECIALLY with the versatility of Shadow Hand jaunts and such.

If going psion, I recommend Wilder. Less powers, but better Cha synergy.

charl
2009-09-23, 04:56 AM
Eldritch Blast blast does have somatic components unlike a normal spell like ability.

Ah, true. I forgot.

Tokiko Mima
2009-09-23, 05:43 AM

In fairness, not everyone reads the errata. In Complete Arcane, Eldritch blast is described as a true SLA, and it specifically states that it's not an invocation. But then the errata says that it is.

For my Warlocks, I usually like to pick Pixie as a race, and then as the gestalt class, take Artificer to give me all the spellcasting Warlock lacks, along with Item Creation Feats.

If you're a human warlock could also plan to PrC to Factorum/Chameleon(RoD) to pick up that revolving Feat. Use it for item creation or Extra Invocation (whatever sounds good today.) Then keep going with Chameleon or whatever.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-23, 05:45 AM
Bard/warchanter on the other side? Then get a Frenzied Berserker as a cohort ... as soon as he hits level 12 all the summons and mooks on the battlefield are in a deathless frenzy at full "power attack" with their penalty to AC (not really PA, something similar).

PS. you don't want to be anywhere near them once they run out of enemies to kill.

Malacode
2009-09-23, 05:50 AM
As others have mentioned, Rogue/Swordsage//Warlock has incredible synergy. I love doing this as a Glaivelock. A few levels in that 3-level PrC for Warlock, the Hellfire whatsitcalled, and you're golden. Binder works suprisingly well with Warlock, 'cause there's a bit of synergy in the 24-hr buffs, but as you've already got a buffer I don't suppose that's a great pull.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-23, 05:51 AM
In fairness, not everyone reads the errata. In Complete Arcane, Eldritch blast is described as a true SLA, and it specifically states that it's not an invocation. But then the errata says that it is.

IIRC, the eldricht blast has a somatic component directly in CA, without the errata..

Tokiko Mima
2009-09-23, 06:09 AM
Looking back on the entry, I can see why it's confusing. On page 7 in the Weapon and Armor Proficiencies it's pretty clear that eldritch blast has a somatic component and is an invocation. But then it's just as clear on page 8 in the 'Invocations and Eldritch Blast' entry when it says that Eldritch Blast is *not* an invocation at all, but can be modified by them. It's very contradicting of itself.

Ernir
2009-09-23, 06:19 AM
And then there's me. My mother was a witch (she was burned alive) and there's a demon or a 'loth even not too far back in my family tree. I'm a Warlock through and through. Blasting is my game, and I like to play. So what should I match up with in my gestalt, to ideally create a good synergy? What complements a Warlock's talents, and what other niches/roles can I accomplish with this character?

Your character sounds like a rogue all right. And it compliments eldritch blasting. AND if there are only going to be the two of you, someone with skills might come in handy (at least if the spellcaster plays nice).
If someone else is handling skillwork, and/or you think you can get by without them, the Sneak Attack Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) might be better - larger hit die and full BAB.

Swordsage does the sneaky-role really well too. Don't think it's the best synergy ever (MAD issues and I am not use how legal it is to initiate strikes with Eldritch Blasts), but it is a solid class that's hard to mess up too badly.

Hexblades can do nasty things, but it can be a bit hard to pull off. If you like the cursing concept, google the class. See what it can do.

Spellthief is not the most powerful thing in the world, but it is fuuuun. And charisma-driven.
Dipping it, taking the Master Spellthief feat and going into a full casting class would probably result in something more individually powerful, though.

If you somehow end up with a full casting class, consider the Unseen Seer PrC. Advances casting fully (although non-divination CL must either be sacrificed or compensated fo), the prereqs are easy in Gestalt and it adds damage to your eldritch blasts. Winwin.

Binder is good.

Thurbane
2009-09-23, 06:31 AM
Binder, Dread Necromancer, Dragonfire Adept...

Roc Ness
2009-09-23, 06:35 AM
Ninja! :smallbiggrin:

Think about it! Like a rogue, but you get to walk through walls to blast people using ki power!

Spiryt
2009-09-23, 06:39 AM
And then there's me. My mother was a witch (she was burned alive) and there's a demon or a 'loth even not too far back in my family tree. I'm a Warlock through and through.

Are you evil?

gdiddy
2009-09-23, 07:45 AM
Leap Attack Shock Trooper fighter // Hideous Blow Warlock

Invocation: Hideous Blow

Weapon: Great Sword

BooNL
2009-09-23, 08:16 AM
Binder is pretty fluffy and is a good synergy. Rogue was mentioned already.

You could also look for a more martial bend, a Ranger will give you full BAB and some extra skill points and feats should you get up close.

Charlie Kemek
2009-09-23, 09:23 AM
you could go with a:
strongheart halfling warlock 18/chameleon 2 (optional, but that bonus feat gives you lots of options)//rouge 1-2/ranger 1/scout 17-18
with those swift hunter and swift ambusher, for full sneak attack damage, and full skirmish ability, since EB is a standard action, you turn invisible, fly, move, and snipe the opponents to death with 8d6 EB+5d6 skirmish (against favored enemies, even if they are normally immune, and +5 to AC)+10d6 sneak attack damage. the chameleon bonus feat would get you a different invocation every day, and the ability to make any item any time you want with the UMD check, and any kind you want.

thubby
2009-09-23, 09:38 AM
i second the leap attack idea.
but go psi warrior for psionic weapon

Eloel
2009-09-23, 09:47 AM
Consider Scout - it gives you Skirmish bonuses, which synergize well with Eldritch Blast (standard action). It also gives you a few passive bonuses like + initiative, + reflex, + speed (big one, Fell Flight gives you your land speed as fly speed, unlike Fly spell), trapfinding, good set of skills, evasion, a few feats, everything that synergizes with Warlock.

I'm talking about real efficiency here - I'm playing one in an arena game myself.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-23, 10:14 AM
IMHO it depends from the other party members. Since you'll be a lot buffet, I'd go with direct nuke building a Meleer // Glaivelock

Alternatively, since the mere amount of spells of your buddy should allow it, Rogue // Warlock and play like a two - member SWAT.

ErrantX
2009-09-23, 10:38 AM
Well, I'm surprised that no mentioned this, but you could always go Sorcerer // Warlock for the Charisma synergy, and as levels progress, go something like:

Warlock 4/Binder 1/Eldritch Theurge 10/Hellfire Warlock 3 // Sorcerer 4/Swordsage2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Swordsage +4

Get a huge load of maneuvers, lots of blast from sorcerer and eldritch blast, huge caster level on your sorcerer spells, and go Glaivelock so you can use your eldritch glaive with maneuvers. Get 9th spells (CL22), dark invocations (CL17, I'd take practiced spellcaster here), 9th level maneuvers (IL 18th). Take the binder level for the Grinning Hound vestige (Naeberius or something like that) to regenerate ability damage, and the Hellfire warlock for crazy damage boosts. Enjoy.

-X

Scaboroth
2009-09-23, 10:44 AM
Thanks everybody for all the interesting ideas.

Are you evil?

Well, yeah. I just didn't want to advertise it. But yes, I'm chaotic evil. However, it's the "I gets mine and nobody stands in my way" kind of evil, not so much the "murders puppies while listening to Ronnie James Dio" kind of evil.

I'm very much liking the idea of adding in the skill set of a very verstaile/mobile class. So Rogue, possibly mixing with Ranger or Scout or even Swordsage, is looking very attractive. An evil Warlock//Ninja (Ghostface Killer?) sounds downright wicked.

And then there's the straight-up Damage Output builds. Psychic Warrior is intriguing - would the Psionic Weapon feat work with an Eldritch Glaive? How about Hideous Blow? A leaping/charging Barbarian also has possibilities, but I was kinda hoping to play someone a bit more Charisma-driven and sophisticated. So far as I know, class "features" which are actually restrictions, such as Barbarian's illiteracy or the Paladin code, still apply in gestalt rules, right?

And then there are the more bizarre, multifunctional ideas. Psion, Dread Necro, Dragonfire Adept... I'm not sure what to make of that. And strangest of all, the Binder. Ah, the Binder. Such a juicy class, so much to consider. I really like how the class concept synergizes with Warlock, but I'm not sure how well they would actually play together. There are so many options that it might be overwhelming, especially considering I'm jumping into this character at middle levels, instead of organically growing him from 1st level. I'm definitely not ruling it out, but it would involve a whole lot more research than I'm used to. But homework isn't necessarily bad, if I can get it to really pay off with some sweet combos.

Tavar
2009-09-23, 10:44 AM
Of course, that relies on the Dm allowing Dual progression, which is frankly insane. Even if they do allow the class, they usually only allow it to progress one of the sides.

Scaboroth
2009-09-23, 10:53 AM
Well, I'm surprised that no mentioned this, but you could always go Sorcerer // Warlock for the Charisma synergy, and as levels progress, go something like:

Warlock 4/Binder 1/Eldritch Theurge 10/Hellfire Warlock 3 // Sorcerer 4/Swordsage2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Swordsage +4

One of the few things DM does enforce as far as gestalt rules go is that no "multi-casting" PrCs are allowed. But if it was allowed... wow. That build really tries to squeeze every last drop of juice out, doesn't it?

Edit: Dual progression! That's the term I was trying to think of. Thanks, Tavar!

Thorin
2009-09-23, 10:53 AM
If you are human I would say something like:

Rouge 3 / Swashbuckler 3 / Fgtr 1 / Telflammar Shadowlord 6/Assasin X
// Warlock X

(Telflammar Shadowlord is from shining south)

The hilarious thing you do is shadowpounce using "flee the scene" invocation from the warlock. Notice that, when you use the invocation, you leave behind a silent image... so you could flank with the image and make the sneak attack damage on every attack... plus the EB damage as an touch attack... I like it... a lot

The last levels I put assasin for flavor, but is not mandatory

I highly recomend retrain the feats you need to cualify for Telflammar Shadowlord as soon as posible (you teleport around the battle field, why would you need spring attack or mobility?)

Feats:
H.Dodge
1.Movility
3.Blind-figth
12. Quiken SLA (flee the scene)

SWS 1. Weapon finesse
FGTR 1.Spring attack

You`ll need a good dex score and of course good int (skillpoints and int to damage from swashbuckler).

If your DM is OK, take the feat from Monster manual to make your EB a Supernatural Ability (no SR or disruption)

Spiryt
2009-09-23, 10:58 AM
Well, yeah. I just didn't want to advertise it. But yes, I'm chaotic evil. However, it's the "I gets mine and nobody stands in my way" kind of evil, not so much the "murders puppies while listening to Ronnie James Dio" kind of evil.

Awww, I was just expecting "Am I evil? I'am man, yes I am" answer. :smalltongue:

It's good that you want to be evil in the way that makes sense, of course.

Anyway, I don't know much about Warlock, but wouldn't some ranger/assasin spells from spell compendium work well with it - the one that removes penalty for distance for example?

Scaboroth
2009-09-23, 10:59 AM
...I highly recomend retrain the feats you need to cualify for Telflammar Shadowlord as soon as posible (you teleport around the battle field, why would you need spring attack or mobility?)

I thought that if you lose the prerequisites for a PrC, you no longer qualify for that PrC and lose all benefits? Or does that not apply to retraining? Other than that, it's a fascinating build.

thubby
2009-09-23, 11:01 AM
And then there's the straight-up Damage Output builds. Psychic Warrior is intriguing - would the Psionic Weapon feat work with an Eldritch Glaive? How about Hideous Blow? A leaping/charging Barbarian also has possibilities, but I was kinda hoping to play someone a bit more Charisma-driven and sophisticated. So far as I know, class "features" which are actually restrictions, such as Barbarian's illiteracy or the Paladin code, still apply in gestalt rules, right?

if you're using a melee weapon you can use a psionic weapon. im not familiar with glaive but it should work with hideous blow, and if you are using a leap attack build that's all you need.
code applies, illiteracy doesn't, having a non-barbarian class makes you literate.

Zaq
2009-09-23, 11:11 AM
Warlock makes an interesting Gestalt because it can easily play the primary role OR the secondary one. If you want to play Warlock as a secondary role, take lots of buff-style invocations, preferably with a long duration. A warlock can get what amounts to swift-action HiPS (only better) with a single Least Invocation (Darkness) and a single feat (Blend into Shadows, from Drow of the Underdark p.47). Fell Flight is, naturally, iconic, and lets you take Flyby Attack, which can be solid gold. I'm especially fond of Flee the Scene, but there are plenty of support options for a Warlock. This sort of support can go with anything, really, but it goes especially well with a Rogue-type or other sneaky dude.

If you want Warlock to be your primary side, so you can focus on pewpewpew blasting and whatnot, you'll need a way to make the best use of your action economy. Blasting, of course, takes a standard action (the exception being Glaiving, naturally), so you need background or swift effects if you want to maximize it. I'm not sure if things like Sighting Gloves and Chaotic Avatar would apply to EB, but if they do, an Incarnate wouldn't be a bad choice. (Incarnate is rarely a bad choice for Gestalt anyway, but hey.) Having Essentia would also let you make good use of the Invocations in Magic of Incarnum, some of which can be pretty fun if you have the Essentia to invest. Not overwhelmingly powerful, but fun. You might also consider a PsyWar... they're fantastic at swift-action self-buffing, after all, especially with Linked Power. A Warlock//PsyWar (PsyWarlock?) would make an excellent Glaiver, come to think of it, especially with Hustle and similar abilities. Finally, a debuff-heavy class or class combo (Hexblade, Pally of Tyranny, Binder, etc.) would help add some punch to your save-granting Invocations, since it's hard to boost the save DC on those without supercharging Charisma (and hey, those classes benefit from Charisma anyway. Nice).

Finally, you might consider Warlock/Shadowcaster. Warlock covers a lot of a Shadowcaster's weaknesses (that is, longevity, mobility, and UMD), while a Shadowcaster brings a lot of variety and power to the table (since you can rely on your Blast and Invocations most of the time, you can afford to learn mysteries which are more situationally useful but more interesting). Plus, thematically I think the two are really cool, especially with Blend into Shadows. The one thing that Shadowcaster really doesn't give you is uses for your swift action, which is a definite weak point, but again, I just like it thematically, even if it's not HOLYCRAPPOWER.

gdiddy
2009-09-23, 02:41 PM
Warlocks have access to Quicken Spell Like Ability at caster level 10.

That's a useful sink for Swift actions.

quick_comment
2009-09-23, 02:45 PM
Warlock/Hellfire Warlock//Binder is good.

Tavar
2009-09-23, 03:10 PM
Actually, just thought of something: if your Dm allows Dual progression classes, either normally or more likely by only allowing them to advance one side, a Rogue//Warlock with Cleric and Eldritch Disciple in there somewhere is really fun. Why? Use the Invisibility Invocation(or spell), combine with the Healing blast, and Sneak Attack your allies for massive healing. Bonus points if you work in either the Glaive or Chain shape invocations.

Zincorium
2009-09-23, 03:52 PM
Personally, I say go for crusader.

You can go all day long, using melee or range depending on what seems best, and don't worry at all about blowing everything you have, every single encounter.

But that's just me.

lsfreak
2009-09-23, 03:56 PM
Personally, I say go for crusader.

I was thinking something along the lines of Warlock//Rogue along with some crusader on one side or the other, in order to get Aura of Chaos. Drop 80d6 every round, and every 6 you roll gets to be rerolled and added on. I just don't know (or have the time at the moment to figure out) exactly how to build the character.

flabort
2009-09-23, 07:24 PM
DON'T take my advice, as i still have yet to play a real game of DnD, although i'm looking into it.

If you do want to take my advice, though, go Barbarian//warlock. or if the DM allows it, use Rich Berlew's own Champion in an evil vareity Champion//warlock, and try to convince him to aply the warlock levels to the avatar as well, due to the Gestalt thing.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-23, 09:10 PM
I'm playing a gestalt game with a Dread Necromancer//Champion. As that guy called it "Champions are usually Commoners who can turn into avatars of divine power for a few rounds per day. I'm going to do the same thing, except I'm a Necromancer who turns into Death Incarnate a few times a day."

NotMe
2009-09-25, 04:17 AM
Don't ignore the dispelling potential of the warlock; it can be a very effective strategy (using your at-wills to remove opponents per day abilities and inflict damage in the process), if you boost your dispel level.

If it's just you and the Wix/Cler then I assume that you're going to be staying out of melee as much as possible (flight & invis), so fighting casters could be a major concern. Grap a level of cleric (or PRC) for the inquisition domain for the bonus on dispel level and focus on dispelling, blast effects and only focus on damage dealing when the fight is mostly won.

Rogue is potentially nice, but 30' max range for sneak attacks exposes you to a lot of risk (charge range!), as does scout; without meatshields you could find yourself in trouble.

Ranger helps saves, skills and BAB so might be worth considering. Another approach is just to take lots of dips on one side of the gestalt for flexibility and abilities that can be got with a couple of levels dip. This is potentially abusive if you're not using the fractional saves rule, as your saves will go through the roof.

Chameleon is definately a strong choice for the non warlock side, decide your entry based on what stats (other than CHA) that you're focusing on. Incarnate is also a potentially useful class for flexibility. Psionics open up the psionic shot range of feats that can be combined with eldrich blast and do not have range limitations.