PDA

View Full Version : Island Exploration [3.5] [IC]

Handsome Dan
2009-09-23, 07:46 AM
DM

3 Months 17 Days

The sun is shining, the wind fills your shortened quinquermeres sail's and the waves are low. All in all a pretty good day to be sailing. The same sort of weather that had held your course for over 3 months now, Neptune must have been smiling on this voyage. The sun gleams off the polished wood and brass adorning the ship, as a piercing cry comes from the lookout above in the crows-nest.

"Pirates-Ho! Starboard side Cap'n."

Whilst the 15 armed marines rushed to their stations, the sailors let down all the sails and the ship picks up speed again. Soon though, you see what appears to be two smaller vessels coming in fast from your starboard side, and then the Captain realises why.

"Damn them to the pits of hell! They have water demons pulling them along!"

Looking down you do infact see 3 humanoid sea-green creatures pulling each ship, which has a blacked out flag flapping in the wind off its stern.

On board each stands a dark skinned human dressed in chain, surrounded by 15 burly looking pirates.

The captain tells the Marines to fire at will, and they all launch their first round of spears at the pirates and sea devils. unfortunatley the wind appears to be going to strong for most, but some are impaled by the spears.

Then the pirates are in firing range and return fire stinging nearly all of the marines, and one of the sea devils targets the last standing marine, launching a ball of purple force at him knocking him off his feet.

Battle is joined, Initiatives, and actions please, when everyones actions are in, i'll make a summary post, update the map and move onto round two. The M that is left on your side is the Marine Leader who still stands. The Crew and Captain are busy trying to keep the ship on course and will only fight in self-defence. Good luck everyone.

Map : And I apologise for my rudimentary paint and excel skills, but this should get the message across.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1.png

( direct Link : http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1.png )

whoiam
2009-09-23, 08:21 AM
Aislinn
Initiative Roll: [roll0]
Aislinn's first turn action: Crouch (to present as low a profile as possible to pirate spears) and move 20' forwards along the side of the ship.

"Jörmungandr take them!" - A fairly standard curse for when you found yourself assailed upon the seas, muttered as Aislinn reached the first of the injured Marines.

She is attempting to collect one or more spare spears from the fallen marines: She wants to return fire, but does not want to risk being left unarmed as their ship is boarded. Her attempts at scavenging extra weapons take up the entire turn: She makes no attacks and casts no spells in this round.

HP 8/8
AC Total 15 FF 15 Touch 10
Position : 9,16
God Touched Points : 2

Freshmeat
2009-09-23, 08:38 AM
Marius

Initiative: [roll0]

Marius curses under his breath at the first sign of pirates. He quickly readies his shield and takes a javelin while dashing forward, wurming himself past Aunar as he does so. Once he's put himself between the pirates and the rest of the party, as well as closer to the marine leader, Marius throws the javelin with all his force at the nearest pirate before ducking to take cover again...

Move 20 feet forward
Javelin throw: [roll1] (aimed at the bottom-most pirate of the second ship)
Damage (in case of a hit): [roll2]

HP 12/12
AC: 18 (flatfooted: 17, touch: 11)
Position : 4 squares (20 feet) northwards from my current position

Marcsin
2009-09-23, 08:59 AM
Anetoni

Initiative [roll0]

"By Jove!" he cries out as the battle is formed, "What in Hades are those things in the water" As he rushes to the side of the boat (Moving 5' NW and 5' N) to shoot at the closest sea devil with his crossbow.

Move 5' NW & 5' N (infront of Aislin's original position)
Light Crossbow: [roll1]
Damage (if hit) [roll2]
Sneak Damage (if applicable) [roll3]

HP 6/6
AC: 16 (Touch/Flatfooted: 13)
God points: 2

sazzer
2009-09-23, 09:18 AM
Aenor

Initiative: [roll0]

Aenor seems to be shocked at the attack they are under, and the speed at which his new comrades engage in violence as well. Recovering his composure, he moves along the ship slightly, and then waving his hands in front of him declared Magama whilst pointing at the middle Sea Devil on the nearest pirate ship.

Moving 5' Up on the diagram and then casting Sleep on the stated Sea Devil.

Magama is apparantly the Estonian translation for the word Sleep btw.

HP 4/4
AC: 11 (Touch/Flatfooted: 10)

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 11:46 AM
Cyrus

Cyrus pulls his bow from his back and steps near the edge of the ship.
"How could they have snuck up on us. We need to be more vigilant." He thrusts his hand forward, towards the sea-devils, but waits for a break in his companions attacks before muttering, "me-ta." A thick black screen forms high above the sea-devils, but below the height of the ship, hopefully, blocking their line of sight to us and the crew.

Initiative
[roll0]
(it won't really matter as I am delaying my action to after my companions.)

Move- Draw shortbow
Free- 5 foot step west of my current position
Standard- Ready an action to cast Silent image when companions are done making attacks.

(The purpose of the illusion is to block line of sight so they can't target us with orbs. I can have 5, 10ft cubes so this should, from the drawing, be enough to cover us. If the illusion is interacted with, the will-save DC is 16.)

Status

HP= 7/7
AC= 16 Touch/FF= 12/14
Position= 1 square west of my original position
God Points= 2

OOC
May I suggest putting numbers and letters on the gird. This makes position much easier to follow. Saying "I move to A5" is better than saying "i move 4 squares up from where i was then 2 squares left."

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 11:48 AM
re-roll
I don't know why that didn't work.

[1d20+2

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 11:50 AM
and again

[roll0]

Handsome Dan
2009-09-23, 12:29 PM
Round 1

Before anyone could even move the Roman Marine Leader, dropped his sword to 1 hand gripped his light crossbow in the other and loosed 2 bolts at the northen pirate ship. Both impaled whom appeared to be the leader, and he had reloaded the crossbow before anyone moved.

In Latin : "The pirates will be weak hired muscle, pay them no mind! Take the Sea Devils and I will try to hold off the Leaders.

PRO PATRI MORI!"

Marius decides to test the theory and hurling a javelin at the bottom most pirate, catches him in its side. First it looks like it was just a flesh wound, but the pirate tilts down and to the side, with the javelin clearly sticking through him and blood pools around his mouth and wound.

The Northen Pirate Leader decides that having two crossbow bolts sticking into him is not a good state of affairs to be in, and as such unslings a shortbow from his back and fires a bolt unerringly through the air towards the Marine Leader, at the last second his hand snaps up and catches the arrow in mid air.

The Southern Pirate Leader just looks to his northen comrade, laughs and blue-white light fizzles up and down his arm. Pointing his arm at Marius a streak of blue white light hits him.

Anetoni taking hte advice of the Marine leader launches a bolt at the most southernly sea devil, even with the water disrupting his shot he makes a strike clean and true, and the devil starts to sink towards the bottom of the sea, whilst an inky black blood pools on the surface. (I rolled the 20% miss chance, well done :))

Aenor decides that the middle sea devil needs to join his comrade on the bottom of the sea. His spell Sleep goes off without mishap and appears to have had some effect, the sea devil is now floating face first in the sea and not moving.

The Pirates decide that with so few people left opposing them on the ship, finishing you off at range may be the best course of action. All of them have a variety of throwing weapons, with 3 darts hurled at Marius, 2 javelins at Anetoni and what appears to be 2 tridents at Cyrus, only 1 of the darts connect. The other projectiles impact into the ships wood, shaking it slightly. The Pirates snarl in frustration and bring another projectile to bear.

Aislinn finds herself surrounded by dying marines, whos wounds all seemed to have a sickly green tinge to them, never-the-less she finds 3 useable throwing pillums within easy reach. (Same stats as a javelin, except its 1D6+2+STR damage.)

Cyrus waiting for his chance, leaves what appears to be an inky black smokey substance floating just above the water line and below the view-height of the ships. (Black splodges on the map)

The sea-devils are no where to be seen, although a few of you spot green-blue arms poking through the spheres, no one is attacked by any means.

Marius :

Will Save please
and 2 damage off the dart.
Also a fort save, they don't like the big guy :smalltongue:

MAP :

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1-2.png

Initiative :

Marine Leader : 17
Marius : 14
Pirate Leaders
Anetoni : 4
Aenor : 4
Pirates
Cyrus - Delayed to end of round: 3
Aislinn : 2
Sea Devils

Freshmeat
2009-09-23, 12:33 PM
Saves:
[roll0] (fortitude)
[roll1] (will)

Handsome Dan
2009-09-23, 12:41 PM
DM

You succeed in the fort check, just. Im afraid the will check fails, you are now under the effects of the clerical spell Doom. You take -2 to attacks, saves and skill checks.

whoiam
2009-09-23, 12:50 PM
Aislinn

In Norse: "Cowards! Such tactics will see you rotting in Niflheim!"

Note: Aislinn doesn't realise that Cyrus was responsible for the illusion blocking her line of sight. She thinks it came from one of the foe.

They won't speak Norse in these waters will they? Stupid, stupid... Well, I cannot see anyone to throw at, so I should make myself useful.

In Norse: "Odin, stand with us now! May your all-seeing eye guide our blades to the foe!"

With her rather hurried prayer to Odin complete, Aislinn performs one of only two useful actions she can do with the enemy at range and concealed - casts 'bless' on her allies.

HP 8/8
Position : I9

Freshmeat
2009-09-23, 01:18 PM
Marius

After the first volley, Marius had to admit he was losing his faith a little, although that might've just been one of the pirate leaders messing with his resolve through foul magics. Steeling himself with the knowledge that the gods themselves were watching over them, Marius takes another javelin and peers into the magical darkness, ready to respond to any sign of their pursuers.

(ready an action to throw another javelin at the nearest active sahuagin (whether from the first or second boat) as soon as Marius has a clear view again)

Javelin throw: [roll0]
Damage (in case of a hit): [roll1]

HP 10/12
shaken (-2 to hit, -2 on saves, skill checks and ability checks)
blessed (+1 to hit, +1 on saves against fear)

Position : I 10

Marcsin
2009-09-23, 01:54 PM
Anetoni

Grinning slightly after the success from his first hit, flinches a moment when the two javelins come flying at him "Thank you Mercury for that" and would be taking aim at the next Sea Devil but for the black inkyness that forms in the water "Wha!??!?" But at the sight of a green fin shoots again in the general area of it

Move action: reload crossbow
Attack [roll0]
Blind shot miss % (DM fiat if needed) [roll1] if over 50% hit chance
Water miss % [roll2] if over 20% hit chance
Damage [roll3]

HP: 6/6
AC: 16 (F/T 13)
GP: 2
Position: unmoved I12

Edit: OOC: I doubt I hit with an 11, unless ya want me to reroll with the correct +3 to hit, Dan. I don't care either way :)

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 02:48 PM
Cyrus

Cyrus focuses for a second concentrating on his spell. He then runs north 20' to I11 J11, between his companions. In I11 J11 he crouches for cover. "Look closely friends the mist is an illusion".

Standard- maintain concentration on spell
Move- 20' north to I11 J11
Free action- crouch
After I tell my companions they should get a will save at +4 against DC 16 to see through it.

Status

HP= 7/7
AC= 16 Touch/FF= 12/14
Position= I11 J11
God Points= 2

Edit: Aenor, has moved to I11, the location I was originally intending on moving to. As his Initiative is before mine I have edited my post accordingly. I like the way we are posting, not caring about initiative order, as long as we can make reactionary edits like this one.

sazzer
2009-09-23, 03:58 PM
Aenor

Seeing the devils vanish into the mist, Aenor turns his focus instead on the pirate leader of the nearer vessel. Sest Hirm

Step to I11 and cast Cause Fear on the Pirate Leader.

HP 4/4

Handsome Dan
2009-09-23, 05:07 PM
Round 2

The Marine Leader seeing how easily the pirates had been felled instead levels his light crossbow, and as a slight green gleam flows along it he targets two pirates on the northen ship. Both are hit full in the front, the first in the sternum with the bolt quivering, the second just below the heart, and a green light washes over them as they fall to the ground unconscious.

Marius brings back his arm ready to throw a javelin should one of the sea devils (you don't know they are sahuagin, and they aren't anyway :smallwink:) rear as much as a fin.

The Northen Pirate Leader sneers at Marius and throws his arms up as if to cast a spell, a white light crackles down his arms, but unfortunatley for him as it reaches his chainmail, it seems to wink out of existence. It was there for a moment then it was gone. The Southern Leader finds this extremley funny and inbetween bouts of laughing throws his hand forward at Cyrus, and as he does a small metal dart leaves his hand and embeds itself into the Persians shoulder.

Anetoni levels his crossbow and fires it through the inky blackness. There is no indication of whether anything has been hit or not, but chances are it was a miss, it looked like the bolt was veering wide anyway.

Aenor levels his arms at the southern most Pirate Leader, the tell tale signs of divine power rush down his arms and lash out at the enemy, yet it does not seem to have the desired affect. The Pirate Leader is stood there and just looks scared and is shaking slightly on the spot.

The Pirates again launch a volley of missiles, this time 2 darts, a trident and 2 more javelins, but this time they move forward as well, into rope throwing range you would think. The 2 darts intended for Marius miss him, the trident sails over Aenors head, but unfortunatley for Anetoni and Aislinn, the javelins intended for them make their mark.

Cyrus moves north and lets his friends now that the inky black mist is but an illusion, whether this helps anyone is yet to be seen.

Aislinn casts her contribution and the power of Odin washes over you all. You are now all under the effects of a Bless spell.

The Sea Devils are unfortunatley aware that it is an illusion, and as such 2 have figured it out. One pops its head out of the water, only to be forced straight back down with Marius's javelin sticking out of its eye socket. The other lowers its head and sprays everyone except the Marine leader, with what appear to be quills on its neck.

Marius :

You can make a DC 16 will save at +4 to disbelieve the inky splodges.
Also make a DC 12 Reflex save, or take 1 damage from the quills.

Anetoni :

Also make a DC 12 Reflex save, or take 1 damage from the quills.
2 damage from the javelin.

Aenor :

Also make a DC 12 Reflex save, or take 1 damage from the quills

Cyrus :

You take 2 damage from the dart, and need to make a DC 10 fort save.

Aislinn :

You take 1 damage from the javelin

Map

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1-3.png

Pirate Leaders
Pirates
Cyrus : 3
Sea Devils

whoiam
2009-09-23, 05:41 PM
Aislinn

The twin impact of quil and javelin has Aislinn instinctively dropping to the deck, although she manages to catch herself at about the point she hits her knees. Crouched once again, Aislinn takes a moment to think about her next action.

The sea-beasts are beneath me, and so the side of the ship provides me greater cover against their assault... The elevated position of the pirate crews will allow them much better shots at us. So whatever the marine captain had said, the most urgent foes are the ones actually on the opposing boats.

Latin: "Crouch low, it will protect you from the spines! Bring the leaders down!"

Sheltering against the side of the boat - and remaining as close to the deck as she can without unduly hampering her ability to throw (hoping for a concealment bonus here vs the sea devils), Aislinn throws the first of the liberated pilum at the southern pirate captain.

Will Save: [roll0]
Reflex Save: [roll1]
Attack Roll: [roll2] (I think he's in the second range increment from Aislinn) - I forgot my own Bless:( So +1 on top of the 9)
Damage Roll: [roll3]

HP 6/8
Current Effects: Bless (+1 to hit, +1 on saves vs fear)
Position : I9 (crouching)

Freshmeat
2009-09-23, 05:57 PM
Marius

No matter how intensely he looked at the darkness stretching before him, Marius couldn't quite picture it as anything but real. A strange thought, since he knew in the back of his head that they had to be illusions indeed.

The paladin pulled out the small quill that had embedded itself in his arm and threw it away without giving it much thought. He took his third and last javelin and, for lack of better targets, hurled it with all his might at the sea devil that had just attacked him and the rest of his companions.

Javelin throw: [roll0]
Damage (in case of a hit): [roll1]

HP 9/12
Status: shaken (-2 to hit, -2 on saves, skill checks and ability checks)

Position : I 10
God-Touched Points: 2

Marcsin
2009-09-23, 07:28 PM
Anetoni

Well, Mercury didn't give him a second free pass (at least not yet ;) ) as the javelin strikes "By Neptune's flipper that hurts!!" And then he attempts to duck out of the way of the quills as well!

Not liking the things in the water, he tries to take another shot at them, well after attempting to disbelieve that there really is ink there to begin with.

[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll=Blind shot (if needed)]1d10050%+ needed 1d100
[roll4]20%+ needed
[roll5]

HP: 4/6
AC: 16 (FF/T:13)
Position: Unmoved

edit: trying to fix first % roll

Marcsin
2009-09-23, 07:30 PM
(ooc: sorry for doublepost. messed up % roll)
[roll0]

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 08:12 PM
Cyrus

After taking the a in the shoulder, Cyrus cringes in pain. "A scratch haha" This doesn't last long as he attempts to evade the quill. "Strange creatures!"

Reflex save

[roll0]

Whether or not he is hit, Cyrus abandons his illusion, knocks an arrow and lets fly at the southern most sea beast. He then moves 20' northeast to M8

Standard- Fires at Southern most sea-beast
attack(with bless) [ROLL]1d20+3[ROLL]
if hit [ROLL]1d6[ROLL]
if crit(with bless) [ROLL]1d20+3[ROLL]
crit dam [ROLL]1d6[ROLL]

Move- to M8

Status

HP= 4/7
AC= 16 Touch/FF= 12/14
Position=M8
God Points= 2
Under the effect of: Bless (+1 attack, +1 save vs fear)

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 08:14 PM
FAIL

reflex [roll0]
attack(with bless) [roll1]
if hit [roll2]
if crit(with bless) [roll3]
crit dam [roll4]

TheStillWind
2009-09-23, 08:15 PM
sorry and fort save [roll0]

sazzer
2009-09-24, 06:44 AM
Aenor

Under cover of the other two throwing at the sea devils, Aenor again summons his powers trying to scare the pirates away from attacking them. He points this time at the base of the nearest pirate ship and intones Ghost heli draakon, and a few seconds later a loud noise of a large sea monster comes from immediately in front of the ship. After casting the spell, he shouts to his comrades (in latin) Ignore the sounds of the monster from the depths. That is my work, to scare the pirates away from us

Casting Ghost Sound to cause the noise from around the area the sea devils are. Hoping that coupled with the Cause Fear on the Pirate Leader might make them think twice :)

HP 4/4

Handsome Dan
2009-09-24, 08:25 AM
Round 3

The Marine Leader sees that the Northen Pirate Leader is on his last legs now. His spell failed and has blood pumping from his wounds, uttering another prayer he launches 2 more bolts at both stick into the Pirate. The Pirate drops to the ground and the Marine Leader sags as if tired.

Marius doesn't manage to evade the quill, and with a contempteous flick dis regards it and it goes skittering across the decking. Luckily it may seem the Sea Devil was looking the other way as Marius massive hurl embedded the javelin half-way through the devils neck, and with a gush of oily blood, that Marius couldn't see yet it sank to the bottom of the Ocean.

The remaining leader sees his comrade fall to the Marine Leader. He lets loose a string of profanities in a language no one is sure of, and as he does so rapidly launches 2 darts at the Marine Leader. Both unfortunatley embed, and the second one rips through his neck, dropping him to the floor in a pool of blood instantly.

In Gaelic :

"Come on then, the rest of you Roman scum, come and get me."

Anetoni responds by firing a bolt towards the blackness, the bolt definatley enters, but anyone looking through the inky blackness at this time see's that unfortunatley he missed any sea devils.

Aenors spell seems to have worked, to a degree. 3 Pirates flee the scene entirley, you hear sploshes as they dive into the sea, and unfortunatley hear the same clicking language of the sea devils spoken in a human tounge.

The remaining two pirates decide that it is time to enter hand to hand combat, and after moving to the other end of their ships, come running full tilt towards the edge and leap over onto your boat.

Cyrus dispells the inky blackness and you can all see the remaining four beasts looking at you. He then lets fly with an arrow that seems destined to enter the beasts eye, but the arrow veers away at the last moment. At the end of hiss turn you all see Cyrus turn slightly green, his wound with the dart in has turned a sickly colour and he seems more sluggish on his feet.

Anyone who can make a Spellcraft DC 17 check :

They are under the effect of an entropic shield.

Aislinn throws the first pillum, and the Pirate laughs mockingly as it whizzes about 10 feet to his left and sticks into the ships side. She stays crouched afterwards and the sea-devils have trouble seeing her.

The Sea Devils click excitedly when they see you all and let go of the ropes as they rush towards where you are grouped, and each let fly with another set of quills.

Everyone :

DC 12 Reflex check, or 3 damage, except Aislinn, who only takes 1 damage if she fails.

MAP :

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1-4.png

Pirate Leaders
Pirates
Sea Devils

whoiam
2009-09-24, 08:49 AM
Aislinn

Completely ignoring the quill that flies past her head, Aislinn starts reaching for a second pilum, only to be interrupted by the leap of the two pirates...

"Hel take you!" was Aislinn's call as the nearest of the two pirates landed... right beside her. Reflexively, she brings her right hand (which had been reaching for the second liberated pilum) back onto the shaft of her spear, and attempts to take that one pirate out quickly. Her attack finishes with a 5 foot step diagonally around the pirate - trying to interpose herself between him and the crew (and him between her and the sea-devils).

This means she's standing up again, but far enough back from the edge she'd still be a hard shot for the sea-devils (until they reach deck level).

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

HP 6/8
Current Effects: Bless (+1 to hit, +1 on saves vs fear)
Position : J8

Marcsin
2009-09-24, 08:50 AM
Anetoni

Struck horribly by multiple quills, blood is dripping through his once clean shirt. Wryly saying "Oh now it dissipates" as the inkyness dissapears from the sea... Trying to take one last shot before the pirates close in... This time at the Leader

Move Act: reload
Attack Pirate Leader [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Free action: Kneel down below the side of the boat as Aislinn did

HP: 1/6
AC: 16 (FF/T 13)
Position: Unchanged

Freshmeat
2009-09-24, 08:51 AM
Marius

Marius bats off the new set of quills as they tear into his flesh, looking a bit more worse for the wear by now. He draws his spatha and rushes forward at the nearest pirate. Making sure to keep his defense up, he waits until he sees an opening before swinging his sword in a wide and powerful arc.

Five foot step to J9
Move action: draw longsword

(readied action: target the pirate at I8 as soon as he is about to attack or the other pirate enters a square adjacent to him, whichever comes earliest)

Melee attack roll (on the pirate at I8): [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

Additional attack and damage roll (in case of a cleave):
[roll2]
[roll3]

HP 6/12

Position : J9
God-Touched Points: 2

sazzer
2009-09-24, 10:37 AM
Aenor

Having one of the quills from the devils pierce him, and having a sudden jolt of pain from that startled Aenor really badly. All he manages to do is give a sudden cry of pain, and jump away from the devils behind the nearest cover he can find and sit there nursing his side...

Moving as far away from the devils as possible and hiding behind whatever is available on the deck.

HP: 1/4
AC: 11 (Flat footed: 10)
God Points: 2

TheStillWind
2009-09-24, 03:21 PM
Cyrus
If(the sea devils can be hit with color spray (15' cone) from I11 the square Aenor just moved out of. I assume that i can infer from where they were when I last saw them and where the quills came from, not their exact positions but a general guess.)

"We can't take another hit like that. I hope this works" Cyrus moves 20' Southwest to J11, then 5' west to I11. He aims and his throws his arm in a wide arc with his fingers in an arcane gesture. "Gara Gir." A blast of colors streak down towards the sea-devils, overwhelming their senses. After his magical assault he takes cover and drops to a crouch to avoid any return fire.

Move- 20' Southwest to J11, then 5' west to I11

Standard- Cast color spray on sea-devils catching as many as I can in the flash Will save DC 16 to resist

Free- drop to a prone/crouch

If( Color spray won't reach the devils)

Cyrus drops the bow he is wielding to the ground, and draws his scimitar. He turns to the Pirate Leader and after moving his hand in a slow wave says,"usag."

Free- drop bow

Move- Draw scimitar

Standard- Cast sleep on Pirate Leader Will save DC 14

Status either way
Status

HP= 5/7 Dex 3 temp dam down to 12
AC= 16-1dex=15 Touch/FF= 12-1dex=11/14
Position= I11 if option 1 M9 if option 2
God Points= 2

OOC(about the If then statement, I didn't want to waste time with another question)

Handsome Dan
2009-09-24, 05:24 PM
Round 4

Marius moves up to a position adjacent to Aislinn and brings his swordarm back and holds it there for a second as if waiting for something to happen.

The Southern Pirate Leader sees that his forces are about to fall and decides if he doesn't intervene personally that things are going to come to an abrupt and messy end. Striding back 5ft and 10ft down he runs forward and leaps across onto your boat. However landing next to Aenor he takes a savage blows across the shoulders. you hit AC 16, and dealt 4 damage.

Anetoni launches his bolt as the Leader lands or so it seems, unfortunatley for him the bolt sails into a space, where the Leader was 3 seconds ago.

Aenor crouches down and starts to defend himself totally against the Pirate Leader (Total Defence)(DM role, seen as moving would have created an AoO, if you wish to change this then tell me and we will do it, just thought you might not want to die. :smallredface:)

The Pirate who had landed on the northen side of the boat steps lightly to Marius, and as he is about to engage him, Marius smashes a blow down on his head and the Pirate crumples. The other one the other hand snaps his short sword up at Aislinn and connects, all be it, only just.

Cyrus moves to inbetween 2 of his comrades (DM action, tell me if you want to retro it) and launches a blow of colour at the 4 remaining sea devils. All but one sink down, and there is but one left facing the group.

Aislinn steps lightly up next to the Pirate and as she launches the attack with her weapon, the pirate stumbles slightly, and as such the weapon sails just past his side.

Unfortunatley for Marius, this meant that his head was the best shot that the Sea Devil could try for. And as he bends his head down, you can see that the spines he has already fired, are back, and another sails unerringly to Marius's head and impales itself just behind his ear.

Aislinn : 1 damage. Yes, he failed epicly on the sword attack.

Marius : Reflex DC 12, or take 4 damage.

Map :

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1-5.png

Pirate Leaders
Pirates
Sea Devils

Freshmeat
2009-09-24, 05:59 PM
Marius

The paladin bared his teeth as yet more quills pierced his flesh, in his neck no less.
These sea devils are getting annoying...

As he hears the pirate leader land behind him, Marius instinctively takes a quick step backwards to face this new threat and brings his sword up high for a decisive blow...

"In Minerva's name... Die, cur!"

5-foot step to K10
Melee attack roll + smite (on the pirate leader): [roll0]
Damage roll (+ smite): [roll1]
Damage roll (I'm using a god point for an additional 2d6 damage here): [roll2]

HP 2/12

Position : K10
God-Touched Points: 1

Marcsin
2009-09-24, 06:33 PM
Anetoni

Dropping his crossbow as the pirate leader jumps overhead, the Roman pulls out his scimitar and takes a swing at the man, utilizing the distractions that Marius gives to get in a solid blow.

[roll0] (+1 bless, +2 flank)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

AC: 16 (FF/T:13) Edit: Oh ya, forgot Dodge vs Pirate Leader, so AC 17 vs him
GP: 1
Position: Unchanged

whoiam
2009-09-24, 06:56 PM
Aislinn

"Why are you not dead yet?" She asks, mainly to herself, as she makes another attempt to skewer the pirate facing her. This attack is accompanied by another 5' step - this time directly aft along the boat, leaving her at J9, ready to step closer and aid her allies if there's any chance on her next turn.

Attack Roll [roll0]
Damage Roll [roll1]

HP: 5
Position J9
AC 15 Touch 10 FF 15

TheStillWind
2009-09-24, 08:22 PM
Cyrus

Cyrus drops his bow, and unsheathes his scimitar. "Now is as good a time as any to try this. Geštug ĝar"He looks nervous as he focuses for a moment. He flourishes his blade as its image begins to shift and trail, then strikes with it in upward arc. The illusion attacks the Pirate Captain's senses just as the blade attacks his body.

Or that is what would have happened, if the spell hadn't failed

Free - Drop bow
Move- Draw scimitar
Swift- Use precocious apprentice to cast BladeWeave

Caster level check DC 8 or lose the spell (crossing my fingers)
[roll0]
if success Bladeweave- my melee attacks that hit force DC 16 will saves vs daze

Standard- Attack Pirate Cap with scimitar(with bless ^_^)
[roll1]
[roll2]
if crit [roll3]
extra crit dice [roll4]

Status

HP= 5/7 3 temp dex dam (12 current)
AC= 15(3 dex dam) Touch/FF= 11/14
Position= I10
God Points= 2
(currently blessed +1 att +1 saves vs fear )

sazzer
2009-09-25, 07:35 AM
Aenor

Seeing the pirate leader threatening right in front of him, but unfortunatly not able to get away with Cyrus and Anetoni either side of him and the open sea behind him, Aenor crouches as far back against the side of the ship as he can and points towards the pirates weapon. Sorminäppäryyttä soojus

I'm assuming the pirate leader actually has a weapon here. Casting Prestid. on his weapon causing the handle of it to heat up as much as possible with the spell and making the handle glow slightly.

AC: 11 (Flat footed: 10)

Handsome Dan
2009-09-25, 08:23 AM
Round 5

Marius moves down to attack the Pirate Leader, and as he calls out to his Goddess the Leader becomes aware of him and bring his sword in an arc it clangs against Marius's as the burning divine white power courses through his blade, and dissapates slowly away.

The Leader sense an oppurtunity here to make a difference and really tilt the battle against you guys, but instead of striking he holds his blow and doesn't attack anyone yet. He seems to be wanting to wait to see who he could fell in a single strike.

Anetoni too calls out to his Patron God, and the same white fire streaks down his blade, but the Pirate seems well aware of it and again brings his blade up in a crossing defence and the white fire dissapates from his blade too.

Aenor seems to be the answer to the unspoken question of who the Leader will strike first, but isntead, he casts a spell defensivley and the Leaders blade hilt glows. It seems to be giving off heat, and with a squeal he drops it to the deck. Instead of trying to pick it up, he instead tries to withdraw a gladius (short sword) giving Marius Cyrus and Anetoni all an oppurtunity to get a solid blow in.

And infact all 3 connect, albeit Cyrus only just. 3 fresh lines of blood streak down his body and he sags back slightly. Marius felt, even though he hadn't smashed him with divine power, it was still a stronger than average blow. (go criticals!)

The Pirate seeing his leader in trouble abandons all pretences of caution, and stepping down next to Cyrus brings his blade down for a sickeningly hard crunch, across the young Persians shoulder blades, dropping Cyrus to the deck.

Aislinn steps down to J9 and launches an attack at the Pirate who just felled Cyrus, unfortunatley she seems to miss, by quite a wide margin.

The Sea Devil seeing that his side is really starting to thin out, casts some form of spell upon the Pirate who is still standing.

DC 16 Spellcraft check please

Bless goes off on the Pirate and the Leader.

And if you make a DC 14 Spot check

Instead of the green-blue stripe around his neck, he has a green-red stripe, and isn't one of the ones who cast a magic missle (purple ball of force)

Map

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/stimpius/map1-6.png

Cyrus - 5 damage

Pirate Leaders
Pirates
Sea Devils

Marcsin
2009-09-25, 08:40 AM
Anetoni

Getting a little angry that the pirate underling staggered a member of his party, continues his attacks on the leader, utlizing the distractions that Marius is still giving to try to hit a vital organ.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

AC: 16 (FF/T 13) Vs Leader AC: 17
Position same as before :)

Freshmeat
2009-09-25, 08:48 AM
Marius

Getting increasingly annoyed by the way this battle is going, the paladin takes a step to the left to better position himself. Well aware that Cyrus will need medical attention soon, Marius looks for a gap in the pirate leader's defenses and, when he thinks he's found one, thrusts his sword forward with all his strength...

Five-foot step to K11
Melee attack roll (at the pirate leader): [roll0] (flanking)
Damage roll: [roll1]

HP 2/12

Position : K11

whoiam
2009-09-25, 09:04 AM
Aislinn

Cyrus needs healing - but with the two pirates this close, I dare not lower my guard - or my spear - to give it to him. If I can take one of them out I might be able to find the space to tend him...

Norse: "Rusty, Auðr, too rusty."

The other three are all on the leader. I have the follower to myself. I will kill him, then burn him and his ship as an offering to Odin, that I may not disgrace myself so again!

Latin: "They are calling on the blessing of their dark Jotun... Gigantes overlords! Bring them down, quickly!"

If she had not been fighting for her life, Aislinn would have considered it vaguely amusing they were all relying on the same buff spell. But she was, and it wasn't. Oh, how she wished she could strip that buff from them!

Spellcraft Check: [roll0]
Spot Check: [roll1]
Attack Roll (Please, Odin, don't fail me this time!) [roll2]
Damage Roll: [roll3]

HP: 5
Position: J9
AC: 15 Touch 10 FF 15
God-Touch Points: 2
Under the effects of a Bless spell

TheStillWind
2009-09-25, 11:12 AM
Cyrus

Prone, bleeding, on the brink of death, but somehow still conscious Cyrus groans. His body wants more than anything to just give up, but Cyrus pushes that thought aside, slides his hand over the edge of the boat and attempts to make the sea-devil drowsy before going limp and passing out.

I am disabled so I can only do one move or one standard

Standard- Cast sleep defensively (DC14 will save)
concentration check
[roll0] vs DC 16 or lose spell

take 1 damage from doing preforming an action while disabled I am now starting to die.

Status

HP= -1/7
AC= 14 Touch/FF= 14/14
Position= I10
God Points= 2

OOC(thats all I got)

sazzer
2009-09-27, 05:28 AM
Aenor

Hearing Aislinn, Aenor turns to realise that Cyrus is in desperate need of help, and so does his best to stabilize him before he gets worse...

Heal check for Aenor: [roll0]

AC: 11 (Flat-footed: 10)
God-points: 2

Handsome Dan
2009-09-27, 07:52 AM
Round 6

Marius sparring with the Pirate Leader see's an opening in the others defense and shoves his sword right through his guard and rips a whole new wound opening.

The Leader sagging looks as if he can't take another hit off anyone let alone another huge hit like that off Marius. Instead of counter-attacking Marius though he swings his sword down and right through Aenors guard trying to deny Marius the ability to flank him.

Anetoni spots an opening behind the Pirate Leader and before he can fully swing his guard up, he smashes a solid blow through, drawing blood along the Pirate Leaders shoulder, and that should have dropped a normal person, but the Leader stays stood.

Aenor bleeds on the floor.

The Pirate dances and spars with Aislinn but only lands a minimal blow upon her arm.

Cyrus tries to cast a spell and unfortunatley it fizzles and fails. And he collapses to the floor bleeding.

Aislinn on the other hand spars with the injured pirate (from the Marines opening volley) and shoves her spear straight through his stomach and rips it open, dropping him to the floor.

The Sea Devil sees an opening with Aislinns bopping and weaving head, and fires a different coloured spine than usual, this has a purple tip on it and a green length rather than all blue-green.

Map : same as last post, except M is a square left. (dont have it on this PC, sorry. Take the Pirate off the picture)

Aenor :

4 damage from that im afraid.

Aislinn :

3 damage
DC 12 reflex or 1 damage and a DC 14 fort save (if you fail the reflex)

Pirate Leaders
Pirates
Sea Devils

Freshmeat
2009-09-27, 08:09 AM
Marius

How can he still be left standing? Marius asks himself with amazement.

Watching yet another comrade fall, he takes a quick step to the side to pit his opponent between Anetoni and himself once more. Swinging his sword back for another hefty blow, he continues his assault with renewed vigor.

Five-foot step back to K10 (so Anetoni and Marius are flanking the pirate leader again).
Melee attack roll: [roll0]
Melee damage roll: [roll1]

HP 2/12
Position : K11 K10
shaken (-2 to hit, -2 on saves, skill checks and ability checks)

whoiam
2009-09-27, 08:46 AM
Aislinn

Norse: "Finally!"

One down, the other's still busy. Time to check the.... Ah! Stupid sea-beasts.

Aislinn quickly drops prone - she's close enough to tend to Cyrus, and injured enough she cannot risk another spine. Now that she's out of the sea-beast's line of fire, she stretches a hand out to Cyrus and calls, once again, on Odin...

Latin: "Stay down and keep clear: There's still one beast firing from the water." Quick instructions whispered to Cyrus as he comes back around.

Cure Light Wounds (Spontaneous cast: she's burning off her prepared 'bless water') Healing Roll: [roll0]

HP: 1/8
Position: J9
AC: 15 Touch 10 FF 15
God-Touch Points: 2
Under the effects of a Bless spell

TheStillWind
2009-09-27, 02:54 PM
Cyrus

Cyrus' wounds close and his eyes open as he comes back to consciousness. Taking stock of whats around him and the words whispers to him by Aisllin he does not move. He makes a symbol with his hand and whispers a word of power before he attacks the pirates mind. If his magic is effective he will stand up.

Standard- cast Daze defensively
concentration check dc 15 [roll0]
if successful Pirate hit will daze dc 14 will save

move- if successful with daze stand up

Status

HP= 4/7 3 dex damage
AC= 14 Touch/FF= 12/14
Position=
God Points= 2

Marcsin
2009-09-27, 04:18 PM
Anetoni

Continuing to strike at the Leader, Anetoni strikes again at him. Again utlizing the distractions Marius is causing.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

AC: 16 (FF/T 13) Vs Pirate Leader: 17

sazzer
2009-09-27, 05:07 PM
Aenor

Distracted with trying to help his companion, Aenor was caught off guard by a blow from the pirate and left bleeding himself on the deck of the ship...

HP: -3/4
AC: 11 (Flat Footed: 10)
God Points: 2

Handsome Dan
2009-09-27, 05:23 PM
Round 7

Marius sensing his opponents weakness steps forward and lancs a crunching and sickening blow against the final standing human enemy. The Pirate Leader sinks to the deck clutching himself as he bleeds profusley everywhere before he expires.

Anetoni turns his attention instead to the Sea Devil that is still alive, and withdrawing his crossbow launches a bolt at the Sea Devil, and luckily it seems to scrape across his spines on the top of his head, and the Sea devil turns a sickly blue-green colour and floats face down dead. (DM Action, sorry the Pirate Leader had dropped and thought this was more appropriate)

Combat is over.

You have 2 ships off your port side, and multiple dead enemies. The Sea Devil corpses are floating face first in the water, 2 pirates and one of their leaders lay smeared on your deck, as well as multiple pirates and another leader dead on the other two ships.

Pirate Leaders
Pirates
Sea Devils

TheStillWind
2009-09-27, 06:14 PM
Cyrus

Cyrus stands up and looks at his wound and turns to Aislinn. "Nice job.". He stretches and sheaths his sword. "The spells I cast on the devils are not lethal and probably have less than a minute before they wear off. We should execute them before they regain consciousness". He pulls out a silk rope from his pack. Anyone particularly skilled at swimming. If not I will do it. The water looks calm enough. We should haul the bodies up so the blood doesn't attract anything nastier. Aislinn you seem to have your hands full; so Marius will you and Anetoni help me out" He offers one end of the rope to Marius after dropping his pack and cloak and securing a simple knot around his waist.

if aplicable
Swim check +2 for str -2 for armor, I don't know what you want to give me for using the rope to assist [roll0]

Actually can I just take 10

whoiam
2009-09-27, 06:16 PM
Aislinn

Completely out of Cure Light Wounds (or spells that can be converted into them), Aislinn instead opts for a Cure Minor Wounds as the fastest way of stabilising Aenor. With the pirate leader down, she then takes a peak over the side of the ship...

So all I killed was one wounded pirate. Oh, well. At least my companions know how to use their weapons.

Latin: "One of you help me get Aenor below. I won't have enough magic to bring him around before he's had a chance to rest, so we may as well leave him in his bunk for now. Then I suppose it's time we started looting... when you're done playing with the fishes."

Marcsin
2009-09-27, 06:27 PM
Anetoni
(OOC: Having a slightly higher initative I'd say the first part prior to Aislinn's actions)

With the major combat over the adrenaline starts dissipating and he finally feels the wounds from the fight, a bit of blood coating his formerly white shirt (underneath his armor) and a scratch on his cheek where one of the sea-devil spikes got him, "Aislinn, are any of the marine's still alive? Especially their captain. He did help a lot before he went down."

After Aislinn casts her cure minor wounds spell he says (as a free action) "I'll help you with him, I don't think I'm in a good condition to go swimming at the moment. But I agree with Cyrus about executing them. They are pirates after all, and the penalty for piracy is death."

AC: 16 (FF/T:13) Dodging against Aislinn (JK!! :smallbiggrin:)

TheStillWind
2009-09-27, 06:40 PM
Cyrus

"Now that you mention it; maybe we could keep the leader and one sea-devil captive. See what they know?"

Hmm must make sure to note the appearance of the other leader could prove useful.

Freshmeat
2009-09-27, 06:47 PM
Marius

Marius sighs wearily as he sheathes his spatha. He surveys the deck, looking for any crew member in dire need of medical aid, ready to offer some, if necessary.

"I wouldn't bother swimming towards the sea devils," he says to Cyrus. "More of them might be lurking underwater. Besides, if they wake up and still wish to continue this fight, we can always make a pin cushion of them before they reach the boat," Marius adds, motioning to the plethora of darts, spears and tridents laying across the ship's deck.

With that, he helps Aislinn carry Aenor below decks.

Heal roll (if applicable) [roll0]

whoiam
2009-09-27, 06:56 PM
Aislinn

Once she, Aenor and Marius were below decks, Aislinn pipes up again:

"Let's check the marines and the crew. I'm pretty much out of magic, but if they are still alive, we ought to be able to do something for them between us. I'll give you and the others a quick check when we're done with everything more pressing: I don't know about you, but I feel the sooner our foes and their ships are alight and astern, the better." One quick glance back at the disabled Aenor, and Aislinn heads back to the deck. So many marines to check, so little time...

Handsome Dan
2009-09-27, 07:35 PM
DM

The captain firstly addresses you all

"Well done on that, sorry me and the men couldn't help but the sea devils were trying to capsize us, and there are still some in the water be careful. We had to keep us afloat, I would sort out the bodies as soon as possible, we don't want rats next time we pull in. Any Romans, we will bury as soon as we land next. We need to make land soon anyway for fresh water and to find some fresh fruit."

Between them Aislinn and Marius have Aenor into semi-consciousness and resting upon his bunk below decks.

Unfortunatley by the time Aislinn gets to checking them over, all of the Marines have expired (7 rounds each of them bled each turn, plus fixing Aenor im afraid) The Marine Leader is a different story. He doesn't seem to have any blood left in him at all, he is completley dry to the touch, and oh so very very dead.

DC 19 Spot Check

What look like flecks of blood around his lips and on his check, have turned a very dark green. Almost insidious.

Cyrus : You could take 10 on the swim, but the captain would advise against it.

Marcsin
2009-09-27, 07:43 PM
Anetoni

Looking to the captain, "Are we close enough to the other ship to board her and scavange her supplies? May help a little. And after can burn her so she can't be used for piracy again"

TheStillWind
2009-09-27, 08:08 PM
Cyrus

It looks about 20'. I might be able to make the jump, with a little aid. He begins to take off his armor. When he finishes he grabs the end of the rope he has and moves to the opposite edge of the ship preparing to get a running start. Before he begins he makes a symbol with his fingers in the air in front of his face and whispers, kušum tag Cyrus' movements seem to quicken as he dashes to the edge of the boat before leaping.

cast expeditious retreat +30 Move = + 12 to jump
take 10 on jump check
10+6+12= 28 should be more than enough to make it

He secures the end of the rope to anything he can find and makes a motion for anyone else to help pull the boat closer.

whoiam
2009-09-28, 02:21 AM
Aislinn

After having checked the others, she turns to the Captain and shrugs.

Latin: "We may need to put into the nearest friendly port for some more marines, Captain. Too late to do anything for this lot."

Legends say that some of the greater priests could bring these back from the dead... Best not to mention it. They'll only get into asking why I cannot.

Latin: "You have fun with your looting, boys. Remember to come see me when you're finished setting fire to anything we cannot make use of." With which she turned and headed back under... Rather gingerly, it had to be said.

I'll have to have Marius check my wounds over. At least they're only on my arms and neck - I do not have to strip in front of that rabble to have them examined.

sazzer
2009-09-28, 04:05 AM
Aenor

Returning to something resembling consciousness below deck on his bunk, Aenor eventually realises that Marius is still there with him but that there's no sign of anyone else, and so assumes that it must have been Marius that helped him below and restored him towards health.

I must thank you for your aid. If you had not then surely I would have died.

And with a touch of sadness and bitterness in his voice:
Why much there be such violence? Why must those pirates have attacked us like that, and why must our own Civilized people have fought back like we did? You are a religious man. Do you have an answer to such things?

Freshmeat
2009-09-28, 04:56 AM
Marius

Marius is about to follow Aislinn back to the main deck when he hears Aenor speak up.

"Good to see you back in one piece, Aenor", he says while patting the wizard on the shoulder. "Although real credit goes to Aislinn, not to me."

"I'm not sure if I know the answer to your question. I find that my faith helps me stay true on my path. Others, such as these pirates, must've either strayed or were doing this in name of some dark God. At such times, all we can do is hope the Gods are with us and give us the strength to live through such hardships."
The paladin lets out a weary sigh. "We didn't know who these pirates were so we'll probably never know what exactly drove them to lead a life of piracy and attack us. Religion rarely provides all of the answers, and everyone interprets their beliefs is a different way. I know how you feel about violence and I regret things turned out the way they did, but I don't think we had much of a choice in this matter. I hope that answers your question."

sazzer
2009-09-28, 06:45 AM
Aenor

Out loud, but more to himself than to Marius: I just fail to see what can drive men to such desperation that they would need to hurt others. Even in self defense, surely there are better ways to defend oneself than taking the life of your attacker?

whoiam
2009-09-28, 06:58 AM
Aislinn

Reentering the room and the conversation both, the barbarian pipes in with:

Latin: "To prevent a foe who seeks your life from simply taking it - without taking theirs first - requires *massive* superiority. You cannot simply detain a foe with an army the equal of your own: Nor can you hold a man stronger than you down, all other things being equal. When you have strength enough, you can bend the world to suit your liking. Until then, such speculation is just a waste of your breath - and our time."

What an idiot. As if the Gods wanted a peaceful world!

Latin: "Now, Marius, would you mind taking a look at my wounds? I'll be tending to the others soon enough, might as well make sure I'm not on the verge of collapse before I get started on them."

sazzer
2009-09-28, 07:05 AM
Aenor

Upon seeing Aislinn re-enter the room, and realising he had been speaking aloud: There are always other ways to resolve a conflict than inflicting violence against another though. For myself, I am still very new to the arcane arts and know that I have a lot of learning still ahead of myself, but I already know a number of spells that will allow me to incapacitate an aggressor without causing pain to him, or to cause an aggressor to reconsider an attack. I find it difficult to believe that a healer such as yourself, calling on the very power of the gods, can not similarly defeat an opponent without causing damage to him.

Such debates can wait for now though. I understand that I must thank you for my life? Marius told me how you aided me and brought me back from the brink of death.

whoiam
2009-09-28, 07:33 AM
Aislinn

Latin: "Thank Odin. I am sure he will appreciate your prayer of thanks."

Norse: "About as much as he'd appreciate a lecture on pacifism..."

Latin: "The problem with restricting yourself - holding back from your full potential, in conflict or in any other endeavor - is that unless the others involved place upon themselves the same restrictions, you have taken a handicap and achieved nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling inside."

And usually not even that...

Latin: "Would you declare the words 'love', 'marriage' and 'family' unethical when wooing a mate? Declare 'profit' against the spirit of commerce? So why would you decide that one of the greatest tools of conflict - death - is completely taboo? The people you refuse to kill would not live forever, even if no-one killed them deliberately. And would you wish them to become a problem for someone else - someone weaker - because you refused to deal with them when you had a chance?"

Marcsin
2009-09-28, 07:45 AM
Anetoni

Cyrus
He secures the end of the rope to anything he can find and makes a motion for anyone else to help pull the boat closer.

Up on deck, Anetoni catches the rope that Cyrus tosses from the other boat, and calls out to any of the other sailors on deck to help him pull the two boats together. Calling out to Cyrus "I hope your knot holds, else we'll look a little silly falling backwards in this tug 'o boat"

sazzer
2009-09-28, 08:16 AM
Aenor

But there you are missing the point. It is not the thought of using death as a tool to win violent conflict that I find abhorant, but the idea of violent conflict at all. It is the thought that we have reached such a peak of civilization and yet are still unable to resolve our differences peacefully that I am so set against.

I understand that there are people out there who are incapable of resolving their problems without resorting to violence, but I refuse to allow myself to become one of them. The person who you slay today will be unable to aid you tomorrow.

whoiam
2009-09-28, 08:25 AM
Aislinn

Latin: "And where did I mention violent conflict? I mean all conflict. I do not see why a person determined to ruin me and mine should be allowed to walk free, simply because he used economics instead of a sword. The person whose life you spare today could also be the man who stabs you in the back tomorrow, and then what will your pacifism have wrought? Violence, like all tools, has its uses - and has problems for which it is of no use. Hitting your children may make them obey, but it will not make them fond of you. Such tools should not be used inappropriately, should not be used indiscriminately... but when they are the best tool, they should still be used."

Unless you are truly foolish enough to consider all humanity basically as peaceful as you are. In which case your little dreams might actually work... But if my urge to stifle you with my travelling cloak is anything to go by, you're on to a loser there.

sazzer
2009-09-28, 08:43 AM
Aenor

But why should I kill or maim someone when I can resolve the conflict without causing injury or pain to anyone? When I can convince him to not ruin me, or I can painlessly incapacitate him until the threat from him is past?

What makes matters worse - why should I make those who loved him suffer because of his wrongdoings? The families and friends of those who wish to do me wrong have themselves done nothing against me, so why should I cause them pain because of the actions of this one person? If truly violence was the only way to stop them then that is one thing, but if that is the case then it is a very bad situation indeed and one that I would hope would never actually be reached in the first place. If violence was not the only way to stop them then it seems to me to be a bad choice to settle on because it has lasting implications that can possibly never be undone. A simple Sleep or Fear spell instead will achieve the same goal without causing anybody harm.

whoiam
2009-09-28, 09:13 AM
Aislinn

Latin: "If you think a simple sleep or fear spell would cause a pirate to give up piracy, then you are a fool. If you think it would cause one who has gone viking - gone raiding - to become peaceful, then you are a fool. You would have saved your own life - and saved his immediate family from mourning his passage - at the cost of the lives of all those he would prey upon later. Ultimately, such a life would achieve only one thing: Saving you from the burden of making the choice between life, punishment and death. If you never encounter a situation in which the death of an adversary is warranted, then lucky you. I think death is warranted many times, but then I know the difference between the afterlife awaiting the valorous dead and the cowardly dead, so I have no wish to die at peace, and nor would my countrymen. But that is only incidental to this discussion. You are refusing to consider options out of some strange sense of morality. You are not weighing the alternatives and concluding that violence is the worst approach to a given situation - which I may disagree with, but would accept - you are rejecting it out of hand."

For that matter, I'm not too sure I want someone at my side who would refuse to kill a brigand to save my life. Use a different method to save my life? Fine. But if it came down to it - kill or watch me die - I would hope that any who travelled at my side would choose to kill. With you, I am not so sure... and it worries me...

sazzer
2009-09-28, 10:38 AM
Aenor
Getting up from the bunk he has been resting on: I can see you have very different views on these things to myself, so I feel that this is not the time for such an argument. Maybe we can return to the debate when there is not as much work to be doing. With that, he starts to head up on deck to see what needs doing.

Freshmeat
2009-09-28, 10:39 AM
Marius

Marius had been silent for some time while Aislinn and Aenor began discussing the practicality of a pacifist mindset. Although he respected Aenor's point of view, he didn't entirely agree with him. He felt that perhaps in time, the wizard would see that sometimes violence was the only answer. But luck willing, fate would prove Aenor right. Marius just deemed it rather unlikely, and doubted that civilization would ever advance to the point that violence was unheard of. Ultimately, he didn't have much to add other than what Aislinn hadn't already said, although he somehow had the idea that the fervor with which she spoke was perhaps a bit misplaced.

"I'm inclined to side with Aislinn here, although I find that both of you have a point. If there is a way to solve a conflict peacefully, it's usually the preferable choice. But in combat, or in fact most forms of conflict, we rarely possess the luxury of choice and it is in fact necessity - often in the form of survival - that forces our hand. If you can incapacitate a target and deal with the problem I think it's an acceptable alternative, if and only if you can somehow rehabilitate your opponent into society after giving him a fair trial. Simply refusing to kill someone who's a clear danger to society and doing nothing else about it would merely equate to running away from the problem. But I doubt Aenor is advocating that approach anyway."

Having had his say, Marius sits down and begins to tend to Aislinn's wounds, inspecting her arms and neck. Upon closer inspection he doesn't find any major injuries but rather a plethora of minor cuts and scratches. Those would heal in short order. It seemed that a much more savage injury would be needed to quench the cleric's warrior spirit.

Heal roll (just for kicks): [roll0]

whoiam
2009-09-28, 10:50 AM
Aislinn

Latin: "Now, if he was a norseman, that would have lead to a fight. I suppose that is one advantage to your civilisation - a norse senate would quickly become a norse mass grave."

Once Marius had finished looking her over, Aislinn was quickly back on her feet as well.

Latin: "If the pincushion can work, so can I. Let us go join in the looting up above. I do not trust the others quite so much as to miss the division of loot and still expect to gain an equal share."

But she at least waited for Marius before walking away...

Freshmeat
2009-09-28, 11:06 AM
Marius

"You might have a point there." he says, offering Aislinn a wry grin. "Besides, the sooner we get back on track and put some distance between ourselves and these pirate-infested waters, the better."

Heading back upstairs to the main deck, he takes a look around to see where he can help.

Belated spot check for the marine leader's condition (apart from the fact that he's dead, of course) [roll0] (DC19)

Handsome Dan
2009-09-28, 01:09 PM
DM

Whilst the philosophical debate rages below Cyrus decides its time to check out the other boats. With a careful rummage around on the southern one, he finds a total of :

271 Gold Coins, roughly the same size as Denarii
191 Silver Pieces
1045 Copper Pieces

After finding the coinage he remembers the rope, and tieing it securley to the ship, the crew help bring it closer.

The Captain intones :

"If you want to burn the Pirate ships, do it after we have cut loose please, we don't want this one going up in flames too. We can fire pitch covered arrows aflame if needed."

Then whilst the boat is being pulled in Cyrus finds,

4 scimitars
7 javelins
3 nets
2 spears
1 trident

and a holy symbol made out of ivory of some kind.

The Pirates are wearing no armour and have but basic clothing on their backs.

The crew meanwhile do the same to the other ship, lashing a rope around it after having thrown out about 4 trying to lassoo it and pulling it closer, it too is available for looting...

Freshmeat
2009-09-28, 01:22 PM
Marius

The paladin helps with pulling the second of the pirate boats closer and then shouts a warning to Cyrus:

"Careful with those weapons, especially the darts and javelins! Chances are good their tips are poisoned!"

As the weapons are hauled up on the deck, Marius takes a quick glance at the holy symbol, just in case it might shed some insight as to the pirates' motives and beliefs, and then jumps down on to the second boat to see if anything of interest can be found there.

Knowledge (religion) [roll0]

Marcsin
2009-09-28, 03:07 PM
Anetoni

As the second boat gets pulled closer he hops down to it as well, "Careful, Who knows what the pirates left behind. It may not be as friendly as denarii" and helps out with the search there as well.

[roll0]

TheStillWind
2009-09-28, 03:24 PM
Cyrus

After the first sweep Cyrus puts all the weapons, the holy symbol, and the cash in a pile on the main ship's deck, being careful to heed Marius's advice, as he has felt the effects of the poison before. He then turns to make a more thorough check, including below deck looking for anything he may have missed, secret hatches, or any raw material. If he finds anything he will put it with the pile. "Two sets of eyes are better than one, someone else could take a look, see if they could pick up anything."

as many as applicable
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

whoiam
2009-09-28, 03:43 PM
Aislinn

Latin: "I tend to be somewhat deficient in that respect."

While the boys were off playing merry looters, Aislinn busied herself on the deck with the recovered goods. The weapons drew her eye first: Pragmatically, she took a backup spear from their findings.

The javelins she ignored - it was not as though she could ever hit anyone with the things, and she had 'companions' with actual ranged weapons.

Next she turned her attention to the looted coins: Mindful of the fact that she didn't really want to be dumped over the side when she next slept, she made 6 equal piles - intending her and the roman soldiers would each take one, and the sixth would go to the crew. Where a coin or two was left over, she dropped it in the 'crew' pile. Only fair, she thought.

This left 45 gold, 31 silver, and 174 copper coins for all... plus whichever weapons they fancied. But Aislinn waited for the other searches to finish before actually taking hers... she did not want to be accused to trying to swindle the others this early in the journey.

sazzer
2009-09-29, 03:24 AM
Aenor

Hearing Cyrus' suggestion, Aenor goes over to help with searching for anything interesting, adding anything that he manages to find to the piles along with everything else.

A few Search rolls - same as Cyrus did.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Handsome Dan
2009-09-29, 05:24 PM
DM

((Sorry for the quick post, its hectic at uni atm, so I will try to post once a day, but they might not be really long in depth posts.))

Firstly Marius :

Your knowledge check doesn't show you anything about it, it looks like an icon or Mars twisted into a grotesque caricature of the God of War.

First boat : Cyrus finds his way down the stairs, there is 1 large cabin, with multiple hammocks in and a second much smaller cabin with a single hammock and a sea-chest in the corner. Aenor spots something in the hinges of the door into the single hammock cabin, but can't quite make out what it is.

Second Boat : Anetoni you find, 171 Denarii, 572 Silver Coins and a whopping 2589 Copper Pieces. You however find only 7 short swords on the deck, all of the thrown weapons must have been used or are hidden better. On the leader however you find, a very wellmade suit of chainmail and a short-spear with a funky looking point on it. As your about to go back to the main boat, you spot a trapdoor, with something threaded through the loop.

Marcsin
2009-09-29, 08:00 PM
Anetoni

Looking around he spots the trap door "Ooh, looks like we have a winner. But it could be trapped or something. Lemme take a closer check"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

TheStillWind
2009-09-29, 11:03 PM
Cyrus

He moves to the chest, getting a closer look. If it is possible he will lift it and bringing to the upper deck with the rest of the equipment. "This looks interesting."

sazzer
2009-09-30, 02:43 AM
Aenor

Cyrus, come and look at this. There's something wedged in this door...

TheStillWind
2009-09-30, 06:13 AM
Cyrus

"Hmm," Cyrus looks up "Even more interesting." He moves to join his companion examining the door.

Freshmeat
2009-09-30, 06:27 AM
Marius

Marius carefully inspects the second boat, keeping his eyes open for any pirate that may have hidden himself below decks. He waits for Anetoni to examine and open the trapdoor, but is prepared to force it open if necessary.

Strength Checks. Meatshield smash!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Handsome Dan
2009-09-30, 01:51 PM
DM

North Boat :

Anetoni finds no traps upon the door, and tries to pick the lock, the lock clicks open and the door seems to be invintingly unlocked.

Marius stands guard over Anetonis shoulder but isn't needed for anything, because well, Anetoni found nothing.

South Boat :

The chest now you got into the room, is quite ornatley carved, its obvious none of the pirates could have made it so they must have plundered it from somewhere.

Im going to need spot checks for the item in the door specifically if your having a look at it on its own please.

Freshmeat
2009-09-30, 01:57 PM
Marius

With the trapdoor now open, the paladin carefully heads further downstairs.

Marcsin
2009-10-01, 10:28 AM
Anetoni

Taking a walk down to the lower deck of the second boat with Marius as well, Anetoni takes a look around for anything interesting. "Hopefully these rogues left something else."

[roll0]

Handsome Dan
2009-10-04, 12:20 PM
DM

Downstairs there is a short corridor running forwards and two doors.

On the left there is a group of hammocks, infact, alot of hammocks quite crowded in. In the room on the right there is, nothing.

Well not quite, theres a floor 4 walls a roof and a doorway all made of the exact same planks.

Marcsin
2009-10-04, 05:59 PM
Anetoni

Looking around and finding nothing, sighs a little discouraged saying to Marius, "Darn, no treasure here. Well, I guess if we wanted; we could go into a hammock business and sell these," laughing at the end, "I wonder if the others on the other boat are having better luck."

Freshmeat
2009-10-05, 01:44 AM
Marius

The paladin throws a cursory glance into the room and then heads back upstairs.
"Looks like we're done here. Let's see what the others are up to."

(search) [roll0]

Marcsin
2009-10-06, 06:57 PM
Anetoni

Going back onto the top-deck he makes his way from the second boat towards the first one calling down below, "Hey, did you guys find anything? If not we're going into the hammock business from what we found on the other one."

TheStillWind
2009-10-08, 12:00 PM
Cyrus

"Yea, take a look at this chest."

Marcsin
2009-10-08, 06:17 PM
Anetoni

Hearing the answer to his question, Anetoni takes a walk down to the others, "Nice, better than what we found on the other boat. I suppose you need some help opening that baby up. Let me take a crack at it."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

sazzer
2009-10-09, 02:45 AM
Aenor

There's something in this door as well. It looks like some kind of hook, but I can't work out why...

Handsome Dan
2009-10-09, 08:36 AM
DM

The chest room :

Anetoni finds no trap on the chest, and there is a very simple lock on it. Snapping open the lock with ease he slides the chest lid back slowly, and when its open a crack he sees a pile of gold speckled with a couple of gems in it.

Unfortunatley when he throws the chest all the way back a very very thin filament wire snaps up from the chest lid to the hook and slams across the room catching everyone at chest height.

It hurts, but fortunately causes no lasting damage other than a few bruises here and there.

((DC 19 Reflex save because of the thinness and speed of the wire, or 4 non lethal damage))

Inside the chest, is indeed a pile of gold, well 3 gold coins are a pile. In this particular pile there is 201 gold coins, a sapphire a ruby and 2 emeralds.

Marcsin
2009-10-09, 08:44 AM
Anetoni

Working with the chest, and flipping it open after thinking he found no traps gets hit in the head with the filament since he was kneeling down at it. Falling backwards unconscious and unable to see the nice treasure.

HP: 1/6 but due to 4 nonlethal dmg that's like being at -3 for the moment (not bleeding out but out cold)

sazzer
2009-10-09, 09:39 AM
Aenor

Having been investigating the hook in the door, Aenor saw the wire coming in time and managed to throw himself clear, shouting out a warning to the others on the way down...

No idea if the warning is any use, but with the critical success it's worth a try

Freshmeat
2009-10-09, 09:56 AM
Marius

Marius leans in closer as Anetoni opens the chest lid. He catches a glimpse of what's inside, before he hears the sharp whiz of the filament wire heading straight towards him. In a reflex, he jumps aside, trying to block the wire and lessen its impact. Unfortunately, he chooses the block it with his face and he goes down like a sack of bones.

(Status: -2/12 (unconscious, but not dying))

sazzer
2009-10-14, 06:20 AM
Aenor

After recovering from the shock of what happened, Aenor gets up and looks around to see the others lying unconscious on the floor. Tied between the thought of needing to go and get help, and not wanting to leave them alone in case something else happened while he was away, he decides to see if there is anything that can be done right now before leaving them alone - and hopefully if one of them can be brought around then they won't be totally off guard should the worst happen.

Heal check for Marius: [roll0]
Heal check for Anetoni: [roll1]
Heal check for Cyrus (if necessary): [roll2]

TheStillWind
2009-10-14, 11:04 AM
Cyrus

Hearing the thwang of the trap Cyrus reflexively bends and rolls just under the wire. He looks to see his companions on the floor and Aenor looking just as shaken as he is.

sazzer
2009-10-19, 07:34 AM
Aenor

Shouting at Cyrus: Don't just stand there! Go get some help from the other boat!

TheStillWind
2009-10-19, 10:07 AM
Cyrus

"Right." Cyrus run up the steps and outside to the deck of the other boat. He yells to anyone who an hear "Two men down over here, not life threatening but we could use some help!"

whoiam
2009-10-19, 10:32 AM
Aislinn took a quick look across at the other boat... She didn't really know how to swim, although she'd prefer not to tell anyone else that. The existance of a roman breastplate beneath her furs was also something she liked to keep to herself. Both of these factors made her less than pleased with the idea of crossing from ship to ship. However... well, they'd been pulled in tight by now, so it was as safe a crossing as it was ever going to be...

I think with them lashed together for looting purposes, I don't need to make a jump check?

...which is why she eventually lost the argument with herself, and crossed over to the boat Cyrus was on.

Norse: "If they were having a drunken headbutting competition..."
Latin: "Show me."