PDA

View Full Version : Using Aura of Chaos

Godskook
2009-09-23, 11:07 AM
Every time I read through ToB, I keep think, there has to be a way to use/abuse Aura of Chaos to incredible effect, I just can't figure out what the best way to do that is. The warlock gestalt thread was what finally provoked me to put it forward in written form(hideous blow makes eldritch blast melee, qualifying for the Aura's goodness). So I put it to the community. How would you build around this stance?

Zaq
2009-09-23, 11:12 AM
In before 1d2 Crusader?

Glimbur
2009-09-23, 11:25 AM
Jade Phoenix Mage and use Arcane Strike? Arcane Strike gives a lot of d4's, so the probability of one of them rolling maximum is pretty good.

Person_Man
2009-09-23, 11:41 AM
Well, besides the semi-illegal trick of using a really small weapon (d1 or d2) and getting a re-roll ability for 1's, you basically just want a lot of dice. A Swift Ambusher build (Scout/Rogue) with tons of Skirmish and Sneak Attack dice and the Deadly Precision feat would work well.

People have done the math on it though, and it's usually not as impressive as a uber Charge build, which can multiply static damage bonuses.

Godskook
2009-09-23, 11:59 AM
People have done the math on it though, and it's usually not as impressive as a uber Charge build, which can multiply static damage bonuses.

Eh, what can I say. In MTG terms, I'm drawn to combo over aggro. The sheer potential damage here is ludicrous(no matter how improbable, it is still infinite). I mean, who doesn't want to hear their DM say: "You can stop rolling for damage on that attack, he's definitely dead"

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-09-23, 03:31 PM
If you're going to use Aura of Chaos in a non-theoretical game, I'd go with JPM using Arcane Strike and a quarterstaff. That should apply the d6s to both ends of the Quarterstaff. Add TWF and other such goodies with Heroics and profit.