PDA

View Full Version : If I could be a superhero...

Ichneumon
2009-09-23, 11:16 AM
So, what if....

a) you had the money, large quantities of money and the means to spend them on advanced gadgets or whatever.

b) the world was a "comic world" in which costumed heroes and villains fight against each other and the governments can do little to do about it. Costumed heroes would be numerous, although not to numerous.

c) The world had fiction morals, meaning that although some things might be illegal and immoral in our real world (such as, I don't know, beating up criminals without them having had a trial), that would somehow be not the case here.

If a), b) and c0 were the case, would you become a superhero yourself and what would you do if you uncovered the secret identity of a very well known superhero or discovered that your very best friend is a superhero/villain?

Also, what would your superhero identity be and how would you go about it, becoming a superhero.

And yes, for everybody asking, I've read too much Watchmen lately.

Xefas
2009-09-23, 11:22 AM

How do you read too much Watchmen? If anything, there's not enough to read.

Anyway, with arbitrarily large amounts of money, I'd probably invest in ridiculous gadgets to become a super...something. Not a superhero, per se, but super in general to the extent of being able to protect myself should superfolk get up in my business.

And then I'd retire with my gobs of cash and live a modest life of moderate luxury and horrible paranoia that I may one day have to actually use my gadgets.

EDIT: My super persona would be The Nonthreatening Hermit.

Croverus
2009-09-23, 11:22 AM
Well... *que music intro*

"If I could be a superhero, I would be Justive Guy!
I would give people what they deserve, especially women who lie!
And leave their husband at home with 2 kids and no job,
To go off to Hawaii with a Doctor named Bob.
I would find them and drain them of blood till they die...
Especially that Mo**er Fr***er Bob...
That's why I would be, Justive Guy."

*Bows*

Vizen
2009-09-23, 11:26 AM

*Bows*

You sir, win an internet. Steven Lynch!

If I could be a superhero, I would be Awesome Man
I'd fly around the world fighting crime
According to my, Awesome Plan!
And if I saw criminals trying to lie
Hurting other people and making them cry
I'd haul them off to jail in my Awesome Van.
'Cause I would be Awesome Man.

Castaras
2009-09-23, 11:44 AM
I'd be a supergrey. As in, half way between hero and villain.

Or a hero. one of those two. Not sure what though.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-23, 11:48 AM
I would be batman.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-23, 11:50 AM
OK, I have large quantities of money, right?

I donate around 25% of it to health care and life extension research, invest 40% of it and give 15% of it to world wide charities and live a happy life with the remaining 20%.

Screw this superhero gig, man. Living a nonthreatening, luxurious life is where it's at.

thubby
2009-09-23, 11:52 AM
If a), b) and c0 were the case, would you become a superhero yourself and what would you do if you uncovered the secret identity of a very well known superhero or discovered that your very best friend is a superhero/villain?

Also, what would your superhero identity be and how would you go about it, becoming a superhero.

yes
if hero, team up. if villain, turn them into swiss cheese.

get super powerful armor, a beam rifle, and jetpack. "hammer of dawn" just to let the world know im a nerdy superhero

FoE
2009-09-23, 11:55 AM
Do I really have to use my powers for good?

Ichneumon
2009-09-23, 11:56 AM
Let's see. I think I would be somewhat like Ozymandias in that I would try to plan a head and use my mind as my biggest weapon, plotting for something big, don't know what, but something big. However, I wouldn't reveal my identity, unless it serves my purpose.

If my friend turns out to be superhero, I'd confront them with it or I would become a superhero myself, let our to alter-ego's meet and befriend and after that would reveal who I am.

If my friend would be a villain... uncertain what I would do. Loyalty is one thing, but if my friend turns out to be a villain, how much did I actually know him any way?

Do I really have to use my powers for good?

Not if you don't want to. You could be a villain too.

V'icternus
2009-09-23, 12:03 PM
If I could be a Superhero, I would be Secret Guy.
I'd pretend not to have any powers but,
in reality, I could fly.
And when my enemies turned their back,
I'd hurl a sword through their eye!
Yes I would be Secret Guy.

I'd never ever do my own work, I'd make others do it instead.
And if they tried to rat me out, I'd put a hole in their head.
I'd be able to cause the whole world to die,
I'd hurt everybody who ever would lie,
Because I would be Secret Guy.
Yes I would be Secret Guy.

Songs nonwithstanding, I'd probably go what people would call "Villian" in a "Try to take over the world", "enforce my will over others" kind of way. But I'd do it for the GReater Good!

Who would dare commit crimes if I had the political power to nuke their whole city!? Muahahahahaha!!

...Greater Good!

FoE
2009-09-23, 12:07 PM
Oh, I'll be a villain! And have a rocketpack. With my sidekick, we shall be Jet Boy and Jet Girl. (It'll score points with the indie crowd.)

And I'll totally go fly into some hot chick's bedroom, and she'll be like, dating the good guy. And I'll come in and be all, "I'll spare his life, but only for you … s-s-sugarpants."

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-23, 12:08 PM
So, what if....

a) you had the money, large quantities of money and the means to spend them on advanced gadgets or whatever.

b) the world was a "comic world" in which costumed heroes and villains fight against each other and the governments can do little to do about it. Costumed heroes would be numerous, although not to numerous.

c) The world had fiction morals, meaning that although some things might be illegal and immoral in our real world (such as, I don't know, beating up criminals without them having had a trial), that would somehow be not the case here.

I'd like to note that C is not exactly illegal/immoral in our world. If you come across a criminal in the act of committing a crime, there are cases where force can be used and cited as defense. >.>

That said...sure I would. Since I'm also sure several of my best friends would be heroes/villains. Can't leave them to fight crime/be mysterious but not really good or evil/etc. all by themselves!

That said, I'm not sure what I'd call myself. >.>

Miss Nobody
2009-09-23, 12:15 PM
I think I would beat up criminals and save the day and other superheroic things like that, but I have no idea what my secret identity would be. However, I do know that my costume includes a top hat. Because top hats rule.

That said, I'm not sure what I'd call myself. >.>

Captain Snuggle?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-23, 12:19 PM
I think I would beat up criminals and save the day and other superheroic things like that, but I have no idea what my secret identity would be. However, I do know that my costume includes a top hat. Because top hats rule.

*invites you to join his superhero team*

You can bring in style. ^_^

Captain Snuggle?

As mentioned...somewhere else? Captain Snuggles is actually someone els I know. v.v

On an unrelated note, ideal superpower? I'd have teleportation. My friends chose flight, electricity, and fear amplification.

...the guy who chose fear amplication is also the nicest guy ever. That worries me. >.>

Ichneumon
2009-09-23, 12:21 PM
I could go with some kind of wasp-theme, like Vespa or something, but honestly I don't know if I would use it for real. My costume would contain a cloak, a really big warm dark cloak, that's for certain.

Favored powers? Water manipulation and being able to turn into water/vapour. Otherwise telekinesis, darth Vader grip FTW.

Nameless
2009-09-23, 12:21 PM
If I had one superpower, it would most likely be teleportation. I've always loved the idea of teleporting. And I would probably use it for "good", but also for my own needs. 'Cos I'm cewlz like thatz. :smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2009-09-23, 12:27 PM
If I had one superpower, it would most likely be teleportation. I've always loved the idea of teleporting. And I would probably use it for "good", but also for my own needs. 'Cos I'm cewlz like thatz. :smalltongue:

Sure, nobody questions whether Spiderman did something wrong with selling pictures of himself, making a living by doing that. Every hero needs some self-helping.:smalltongue:

BisectedBrioche
2009-09-23, 12:30 PM
I would be Chemistryman, saving the world with science and SCIENCE!

By coincidence I have been working on a chemistry based martial art (no, really. I think it might work). :smallwink:

In the case of d); Blackmail all the way.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-23, 12:32 PM
Wait; I have insane amounts of money? Meaning I can hire tons of super-powered Evil Dudes into killing each other?
I'd be funding Evil, but they'd be killing each other.
And, you know, I can always backstab the last one back.

Nameless
2009-09-23, 12:32 PM
Sure, nobody questions whether Spiderman did something wrong with selling pictures of himself, making a living by doing that. Every hero needs some self-helping.:smalltongue:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with using my teleportation to get around. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-09-23, 12:34 PM
The Stark route sounds good.

Mad science, robot suits, and general awesomeness in the style of movie Iron Man seems a lot more tempting than being Owlman.

Besides: Robot suit with jet boots.

Ichneumon
2009-09-23, 12:34 PM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with using my teleportation to get around. :smalltongue:

But because of your teleportations the people working at the public transportations will have a harder job making money... you know... because you don't have to use their services anymore.... ehm...:smallamused:

Nameless
2009-09-23, 12:38 PM
But because of your teleportations the people working at the public transportations will have a harder job making money... you know... because you don't have to use their services anymore.... ehm...:smallamused:

Hey, I'm sure they will make through it by taking the money from the other 7.5 million Londoners. :smalltongue:

V'icternus
2009-09-23, 12:45 PM
Now, if I just wanted to screw around and have fun with my powers, I'd want to fly. Teleporting may be faster and more effecient, but come on, flying? It's awesome!

Ichneumon
2009-09-23, 12:46 PM
Now, if I just wanted to screw around and have fun with my powers, I'd want to fly. Teleporting may be faster and more effecient, but come on, flying? It's awesome!

But when you're flying, they can still shoot you, right?:smalleek:

Nameless
2009-09-23, 12:47 PM

Yeah, floating about is far more awesome then vanishing into thin air then re-appear somewhere else. Especially if you teleport with something completely stupid as a glow, or fade away or something silly like that.[/sarcasm]

:smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-09-23, 12:48 PM
could I have teleportation and still be batman?

chiasaur11
2009-09-23, 12:50 PM
Yeah, floating about is far more awesome then vanishing into thin air then re-appear somewhere else. Especially if you teleport with something completely stupid as a glow, or fade away or something silly like that.[/sarcasm]

:smalltongue:

My counterargument:

Jetpacks.

V'icternus
2009-09-23, 12:51 PM
Flying feels way better than teleporting, because you get to rip through the air, let your hair whoooosh backwards, and say hi to people in planes.

Also, flying!!

MethosH
2009-09-23, 12:59 PM

*Bows*

You sir, win an internet. Steven Lynch!

If I could be a superhero, I would be Awesome Man
I'd fly around the world fighting crime
According to my, Awesome Plan!
And if I saw criminals trying to lie
Hurting other people and making them cry
I'd haul them off to jail in my Awesome Van.
'Cause I would be Awesome Man.

If I could be a superhero
I would be Drug-Free boy
Telling the world of the evils of drugs
And all of the lives they destroy
Well I would take all the junk
He’s getting so high
With their needles and bongs
And their sticks of tye
As I burn them alive I would squeal with joy
Because I would be drug-free boy

:smallbiggrin:

Now it is your turn kids!

Lost Demiurge
2009-09-23, 03:20 PM
I'd be an avatar of a pre-norse mythos god that was originally folded into the norse pantheon as Loki. A clever, cunning bastard that took care of his family, and fooled his foes into horrifying mistakes.

Powers would include nigh-immortality, a good level of Nordic butt-kicking ability, and the ability to talk anyone into anything. And maybe some monstrous relatives or friends that thought I was cooler than hell.

I'd avoid the limelight, go around in disguise, and use my powers to humiliate the haughty, humble the proud, and teach life lessons to those in desperate need of a sense of humor. And maybe be nice to regular folks here and there, when no one was looking. Kind of a Bugs Bunny as ancient god-figure deal.

Trai
2009-09-23, 03:28 PM
Hell, I frequently wish I could teleport in real life.

As for powers, I always figured Rogue's would be pretty cool, if the life-sucking part was able to be turned on and off. That way I could just mooch off everyone else's powers! :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2009-09-23, 04:18 PM
My superhero alias would be something like "Blaze of Glory" or something. I'd have costumes with fire motifs and all that jazz.

My power? Shapeshifting. Not only am I a master of disguise, but everyone thinks I am a fire-based superhero. Wait 'til I jump over them and turn into a Rhino.

BisectedBrioche
2009-09-23, 04:25 PM
My superhero alias would be something like "Blaze of Glory" or something. I'd have costumes with fire motifs and all that jazz.

My power? Shapeshifting. Not only am I a master of disguise, but everyone thinks I am a fire-based superhero. Wait 'til I jump over them and turn into a Rhino.

A burning rhino. You need to at least keep it up until they work it out themselves.

V'icternus
2009-09-23, 04:36 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, for every day living, being Stretchy Lad would be cool... I'd never have to stand up again!

pendell
2009-09-23, 04:40 PM
So, what if....

I would not become a superhero myself. Instead, I would be a legal version of The Kingpin -- I would use the funds to build an organization much like the fictional X-COM, with the
mission of confronting and defeating supervillains. I would research technology
much like Iron Man powered armor which would augment normal human beings as
well as technology which would allow the appropriate confinement of superheroes.

I would start out as a private paramilitary organization with a bounty-hunting commission;
should superheroes commit crimes, we would hunt them down on behalf of the commissioning government and deliver them to the nearest courthouse with whatever
restraints were appropriate and necessary. We would also carry out sentence if necessary, whether that be death, confinement or exile.

As we gained credibility with different governments I would strike alliances with them;
hire away government people to high positions, allow my own people to leave and
take positions with governments, until within ten or twenty years my organization
has gone from a privately owned paramilitary bounty hunting firm to an international
police organization somewhat like Interpol, but with arrest powers. Essentially,
we would be the team you call in for superheroic problems beyond the ability of
ordinary police or military to handle. We would also incarcerate said criminals.

What about supers who aren't supervillains? Well, we'll leave them alone or hire them
to work for us. It may be that there are people out there with superpowers who are
interested neither in villainy nor heroism, but simply in making a ton of cash off of their
abilities. We will pay handsomely for people to use those capabilities for us -- and
past that cost onto the contracting governments.

The chief danger, of course, is losing control of the organization to unscrupulous people. If supers make mock of conventional military, and only we can control or stop the supers,
it becomes likely that within a few decades we would have the only military force
on the planet of any significance. It then becomes possible for us to become *the*
global government. If unscrupulous people were to subvert the organization and use it
to control the world ... well, it would be bad.

If I found a friend had superpowers? Good for them! I'd treat them as I would any other friend with special talents. I'd make sure to do them favors to put them in my debt.
It might be useful to have superpowered favors to call in...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Anuan
2009-09-23, 06:24 PM
With sufficient money and technology I would construct a giant training facility in the mountains and dedicate myself to perfecting my martial skills, unarmed and with a variety of weapons.

I would then become an antihero with flashes of conscience, with an outfit and persona modelled after Xuan Wu. I would have two sidekicks, modelled after Wan Gong and Wan Ma.

Wrongdoers would fear us as they would fear being trapped between two armies during the Waring States period.

If I discovered my friend was a superhero, I would 'coincidently' show up occasionally when he needed help, until he figured out what was going on.

darkblade
2009-09-23, 07:30 PM
Given the unspecified resources you are offering in a superhero world I would not become a hero nor a villain.

I instead would poor my money into creating more and more powerful superheroes via genetic experimentation, advanced A.I. systems, augmented weapon systems, physical training, training in mundane skills useful for superheroics (marksmanship, tracking, detective skills, interrogation techniques, lock picking, computer hacking, etc) and so on.

In addition to creating a superhero army I shall have provide a superhuman intelligence and networking service equivalent to what Oracle does in the DC Universe.

All the heroes I create will be free to use their powers in heroic manners as they see fit within reasonable guidelines that shall be negotiated with representatives from the created heroes, law enforcement, government intelligence and the local Avenger/Justice League equivalent but they shall be required to respond to distress signals that I may send out in states of emergency such as experiments and would be manufactured heroes going rouge, super villain attacks and crisis crossovers.

All in all I would have a reasonably comfortable life style but still be able to have my fingers in the unique opportunities that a superhero comic book world represents.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-23, 10:10 PM
If I was a superhero, I'd destroy half of New York City with a giant squid monster. First person to get the reference gets a cookie.

Jacklu
2009-09-23, 10:19 PM
Not much of a reference. :smalltongue:

If I had super powers... I would be GB. With the ability to gender bend people at will. Cause, well, there is a lot that can be solved with gratuitous amounts of Gender Bending. :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2009-09-23, 10:22 PM
I'd be millionare playboy Bruce Wayne and leave it at that. Why be a superhero when you can be a millionare playboy?

UnChosenOne
2009-09-23, 11:13 PM
I would just build mansion that is protect against superpowered creatures and leave this save/destroy the world for the other folks.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-23, 11:58 PM

Really, cause they just recently made a movie "based" off the comic book. Although, in the film, it was a naked blue guy that destroyed New York.

Ichneumon
2009-09-24, 12:00 AM
Really, cause they just recently made a movie "based" off the comic book. Although, in the film, it was a naked blue guy that destroyed New York.

I know, but I mentioned the comic book/novel in the first post, so I'd say the reference is somewhat pointless.:smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2009-09-24, 05:25 AM
I'd invent/buy rocket boots. And use them to kick people. :smallamused:

Okay, seriously, if I were super-rich and limited to technology based powers (or buying magic artifacts) I'd definitely become a superhero akin to an Ironman-lite, except with a sword or other melee weapon. And fire based powers.

Edit: I have no idea what madness took over me to cause me to type lightning there.

Totally Guy
2009-09-24, 05:48 AM
I already have my superpowers. Eye beams, super strength, magnetism.

But I can only use it for good.

And what with morality being subjective it's really very rare for the universe to say "yes" and let me kick some baddie ass.:smallannoyed:

BisectedBrioche
2009-09-24, 06:00 AM

If I had super powers... I would be GB. With the ability to gender bend people at will. Cause, well, there is a lot that can be solved with gratuitous amounts of Gender Bending. :smallbiggrin:

How? If some lunatic's about to bomb a few buildings, suddenly having their sex changed isn't going to make them more stable is it? Unless you want to ruin their driving skills. ¬_¬"

Make sure you wear them to bed. :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-24, 06:02 AM

Okay, seriously, if I were super-rich and limited to technology based powers (or buying magic artifacts) I'd definitely become a superhero akin to an Ironman-lite, except with a sword or other melee weapon. And lightning based powers.

You know what's better than rocket boots? Rocket Gloves especially when combined with the boots. Plus, you don't have to gick, you just have to hold your hands up in his face and fwoosh.

Eldan
2009-09-24, 06:10 AM
OK, I have large quantities of money, right?

I donate around 25% of it to health care and life extension research, invest 40% of it and give 15% of it to world wide charities and live a happy life with the remaining 20%.

Screw this superhero gig, man. Living a nonthreatening, luxurious life is where it's at.

This is a comic book world. The charity would be a front for an alien invasion, the life extension research would create an immortal, regenerating supervillain and the health research would spread a plague by accident.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-24, 06:31 AM
Eh, with all that wealth and technowizardry, I'll leave the Batman work to less well-adjusted individuals. I'd love to fight evil and all, but I just don't have the time to dedicate my life to a super-human level of martial arts mastery. I'm a good fighter, but I just don't have the extra 6 hours a day necessary to be great.

No, I'd be too busy developing sustainable energy sources, eliminating poverty and ignorance, and working on a side-project to grant myself Highlander-style immortality. Maybe in 200 years I'd be able to find the time to be a truly spectacular warrior, once I've eliminated some of the causes of strife and injustice.

If one of my friends was a costumed hero and I found out, I'd definitely lend them whatever aid and resources they need.