PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Simulacrum (OP?)

Alex Star
2009-09-23, 12:51 PM
So I've never really been interested in playing an Artificer for 4E, but as I was reading through my 4E Eberron book the other day I figured I'd check it out.

Artificers have a Level 29 Daily Attack Power called "Simulacrum" Which literally creates a complete copy of the character. The copy has access to all of the characters powers except for "Simulacrum" and can use them even if the character has already used them in that "Encounter/Day" the only limitation is that after using a "Daily" power the Simulacrum disappears.

Perhaps I'm wrong but this power seems way overpowered..

2 Multi-class feats allow you to have access to this power regardless of what class you are playing. Coupled with the multiple ways to restore a daily power once used it seems possible to have 2 or 3 simulacrums of your character active at the same time.

Is this really as powerful as it appears? I understand that at level 29 characters should be able to do some pretty incredible things... but I can't see a single class that has a daily power at level 29 that even begins to measure up to this one.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-23, 12:55 PM
Oh, we can do much worse than that. There's a ninth level Swordmage power that does more-or-less the same. By some interpretations, the copy created by that power has a copy of all your equipment (notably, consumables) and also of your action points.

And yeah, judged by the silliness of certain other level-29 or level-30 powers, it's a design feature that the game balance breaks down at that point. I wonder what would happen if the world's largest testbed, RPGA, ever comes that high.

TheOOB
2009-09-23, 01:13 PM
Level 29 powers are supposed to be silly and overpowered. You only have 1 level before you retire anyways,and at that point you are supposed to be fighting gods. A level 30 wizard/archmage can cast legions hold as an encounter power, and thats frankly just as good.

Thajocoth
2009-09-23, 01:44 PM
Summoned things tend to use your own actions. You can only re-cast ONE daily with it. Sure, you can re-cast all your encounter powers from the sound of it... But there are Epic Destinies that allow for that anyway.

It's really just a complicated way of getting one of your used Dailies back. At level 29, no, I don't think it's worth 2 feats for another class to take. I don't think it's remotely OP.