PDA

View Full Version : Free Map-editing software?

Dewey
2009-09-23, 01:23 PM
I am looking for a good map-making program that is free to download. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TroubleBrewing
2009-09-27, 12:58 AM
The only one I've found is called Autorealm. It's damn near unusable, though, so I wouldn't recommend it. Sadly, it's the only free map-making software I've found. I'm always watching torrent sites for a download of Campaign Cartographer 3, which, if you're willing to drop a bit of coin, is one of the best out there.

Andraste
2009-09-27, 02:46 AM
Try scribblemaps.com. It lets you draw on google maps, but you can click on "White" to get a blank map and you can insert your own image or use the drawing tools.

greenknight
2009-09-27, 08:24 AM
I've found MapTools (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool) to be a nice, free utility. And you should also check out the other free rpg tools available on the site - they can be very useful.

Ostien
2009-09-27, 10:15 AM
The only one I've found is called Autorealm. It's damn near unusable, though, so I wouldn't recommend it. Sadly, it's the only free map-making software I've found. I'm always watching torrent sites for a download of Campaign Cartographer 3, which, if you're willing to drop a bit of coin, is one of the best out there.

Really? I mean AutoREALM is not perfect, but I have been able to make some great maps using it. The only problem is it sucks exporting to a jpg. I tried CC3 and found it a bit wonky for someone who is not well versed in CAD. The learning curve for CC3 is too steep for most people, but you can just jump in with AR. Though that has just been my xp.

Kizara
2009-09-27, 08:23 PM
Really? I mean AutoREALM is not perfect, but I have been able to make some great maps using it. The only problem is it sucks exporting to a jpg. I tried CC3 and found it a bit wonky for someone who is not well versed in CAD. The learning curve for CC3 is too steep for most people, but you can just jump in with AR. Though that has just been my xp.

Seconded, CC3 has some powerful utilities but unless you are already a veteren AutoCAD user (and to an extent, even if you are) you are going to spend an evening or two with its (good, but long) tutorial and then mucking about to actually get what you want.

For me, its a bit too much hassle. I only want the level of detail you see in Medival 2: total war, so I don't want to learn new, involved software to do it.