PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 ODST RPG

Croverus
2009-09-23, 02:40 PM
Been playing the Halo 3 ODST and so far I'm loving it. I was wondering what system woudl fit best for an RPG game and how to stat the players and their equipment. Anyone want a hand it helping me come up with how to make it? I'll give it a try alone but I feel that a group effort would be Faster.

Croverus
2009-09-23, 04:22 PM
No one is interested in trying to come up with the game design for a Halo 3 ODST RPG? I'm familiar with the d20 system, d10 system and d% system and want to know which would be most effective and how to stat players, equipment, and weapons. It's mostly a heavy combat oriented obviously with some skill use as well, diplomacy being a non-issue. Players would would have specializations for how their trooper fought and the party would go on missions. Inbetween missions they coudl relax, do some rping, upgrade their equipment and maybe train their skills before their next drop.

Any interest?

D Knight
2009-09-23, 04:38 PM
i would say Champions would fit better because of the ablity to make different armor and weapons with out haveing to give an arm and a leg in the creation of said item.

Croverus
2009-09-23, 04:49 PM
i would say Champions would fit better because of the ablity to make different armor and weapons with out haveing to give an arm and a leg in the creation of said item.

I was considering having it so that your specialty gives you some starting gear, being your armor, main weapon, a side arm, and some equipment only your specialty can use effectively. Possible specialties include Sniper, Demolitions, Close Quarters, Medic, Sergeant and Heavy Weapons.

As far as "making" weapons you really don't need to worry about that. You drop with your starting equipment for free, and upgrades are bought by how well you perform your missions. Making weapons is not necessary, you just select what two weapons you want to drop with. No trading with eachother though.

And while on a mission you can pick up and use weapons, because you'll have limited ammo, your weapon will eventually run out and you'll have to pick up a different weapon and adapt.

What I really want to know is how to track convert the real time combat of a FPS into turn based fighting in an RPG, how to represent a person's skills witha weapon, which a high skill with a weapon simply means better accuracy and extra upgrade options.

dentrag2
2009-09-23, 07:09 PM
Try Shadowrun.
FPS style RPG, done with D6es. The only problem is that the tech isn't nearly as advanced as Halo in the case of weapons and armor, and far more advanced in everything else. +magic.

Croverus
2009-09-24, 09:07 AM
I'm just looking at which system's skeleton woudl fit, then I can homebrew weapons, armor, etc.

Comet
2009-09-24, 09:30 AM
I'd argue Unisystem here, especially the Serenity (Firefly) RPG. Because Unisystem is quite workable and Firefly/ODST have some things in common, if you know what I mean.

Do check it out and see if it's your thing. You can get at least Witchcraft for free online, and that uses Unisystem.

Croverus
2009-09-24, 09:38 AM
I'd argue Unisystem here, especially the Serenity (Firefly) RPG. Because Unisystem is quite workable and Firefly/ODST have some things in common, if you know what I mean.

Do check it out and see if it's your thing. You can get at least Witchcraft for free online, and that uses Unisystem.

I do like the Firefly system, was also looking at Dark Heresy, but I want to try and keep things simple for stats. I'll play around with Firefly and see what I can get out of it. The one thing is everyone is a soldier so all characters can at the least defend themselves reasonably well, so you'll be stronger than greenhorns in Firefly (even if you are a greenhorn).

Akisa
2009-09-24, 09:47 AM
You could always use Star Wars saga, just remove the force related items. Best of all the work has been done for you (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19427034/HALO_Saga_Edition), and as a D20 product it's very easy to learn/know for a large player base.

Akisa
2009-09-24, 09:56 AM
Also keep in mind most of npc have light armor or medium. Although perhaps the hunters could be carrying heavy, but whatever. People and convenient are capable of shrugging of huge amount of bullets/plasma and the condition track system could represent the stamina that's in for ODST. The Spartans could use medium/heavy power armor with the shield addon from Knights of the old republic campaign.

Croverus
2009-09-24, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'll look at it. d20 is familiar, sure, but it also gets complex when it really doesn't need to be. I'll play with both systems for a couple days then post which one I'll be using.

Croverus
2009-09-25, 12:15 PM
Making the decision to simply go with d20 Modern using the d20 Future rulebooks for some of the technology. Gonna change the Hero classes from Strong, Fast, Tough, Smart, Charismatic and Dedicated to Assault, Scout, Artillery, Technician, Sergeant and Medic. Will be posting details about each class and the weapons they have availalbe to them later.

Trodon
2009-09-25, 02:09 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread looks fun.

Croverus
2009-09-28, 03:19 PM
So yeah, was looking at how to make the d20 system fit with HALO 3 ODST: The RPG version! and figured out a few things I'll need to work on. I will be using D20 Modern as my comparison to how charaters grow. Reputation will exist (get an increase in reputation for accomplishing goals like taking down a certain number of enemies, completing a vital mission, etc; but you can lose it for 1)Team killing, 2)Abandoning/Failure of a mission, 3)inbetween mission conforntations with superioirs) and I'll be using a wealth system similar to the D20 Modern system.

First: The Classes. I made 6 classes that pretty much are like Halo 3 versions of the 6 Hero classes for D20 Modern. Instead of Strong, Fast, Tough, Smart, Dedicated and Charismatic heroes, you're all soldiers that are trained as Assault, Scout, Heavy, Techie, Medic and Sergeant. I listed the new classes in order with the origionals. As far as Hit die, skill points (skill lists will be altered), Action Points, BAB, Saving throws, Defense bonus, Reputation Bonus, Bonus Feats, and "Talents" though only WHEN you get talents, not the talents you can choose from. I'll make Talent trees for each class.

Second: Combat. Will play out a lot like it would normally in D20 Modern, but with a few things like bonus damage to called shots. Penalties to attack still apply, but headshotting an unshielded enemy deals significant damage (usually enough to kill a target outright). Of course headshots are only possible with the SMG (both variants), the Magnum, Sniper and Beam Rifle, the Battle Rifle and the Carbine. Always try having at least one of these. Grenades are important and common and the environment becomes very important. Cover ruels will be modified (still wokring on that) so that taking cover becomes much better than charging head first at the enemy. YOU. ARE. NOT. SPARTANS. Also will be adding a new stat: Stamina. It will be determined by a combination of your Strength and Endurance and will "soak" damage before your Health starts to drop. Recharges if you take cover, avoid combat and take a couple rounds to rest. Usually a full round of crouching behind cover "catching your breath" is enough to keep you going.

Third: Weapons and Enemies. Will be custom stating them. Shouldn't be too hard, playtesting to figure out a good range of numbers compared to how much health you and enemies have. Taking into account Size diferences, weaknesses (grunts have... a lot) and other stuff. Will soon be posting extensive lists of weapons and a couple of enemies just so you can get a look.

golentan
2009-09-28, 03:35 PM
Looks like I may be too late, but I'm going to make a pitch for traveller. It stays fairly close to the real world. Slap some Combat Armor on a character, give them some tech 12 rifles, strip out laser weapons. Homebrew up some personal shields for the covenant, and hand them some tech 16 gear. I could draw up some gear for it pretty quick, I think. Elites could be Notably Strong and Dextrous, maybe with a fast metabolism. Grunts could be Small, leave their Dexterity the same, and have atmosphere requirements. Jackals small, or medium with Notable Dexterity, maybe with a fast metabolism. Drones would be flying, and armored. And hunters (if you are mean enough to drop them on your team) would be Large (4d), and Notably Strong and Tough.

Croverus
2009-09-28, 03:40 PM
Never played Traveler...

If you can find me links to some source information (or give me detailed stat tables filled out with what you're tlaking about) then sure I'd look at it. But laso it sounds like you want to make Spartans using ONLY human tech, when that's not the case.

You're playing marines, very well trained and pretty much as good as it gets, but still not on par with spartans. And you run through ammo like candy, scavenging a needler off the enemies you just dropped because your silenced smg only had two bursts left. Taking cover behind a turned over truck so you can catch your breath because you just had a close call with a spike grenade. Distracting a Hunter pair with a few pot shots so your teamates can flank then and target thei weakspots.

golentan
2009-09-28, 11:24 PM
Never played Traveler...

If you can find me links to some source information (or give me detailed stat tables filled out with what you're tlaking about) then sure I'd look at it. But laso it sounds like you want to make Spartans using ONLY human tech, when that's not the case.

You're playing marines, very well trained and pretty much as good as it gets, but still not on par with spartans. And you run through ammo like candy, scavenging a needler off the enemies you just dropped because your silenced smg only had two bursts left. Taking cover behind a turned over truck so you can catch your breath because you just had a close call with a spike grenade. Distracting a Hunter pair with a few pot shots so your teamates can flank then and target thei weakspots.

You can find a link to an SRD of low quality here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=51). The SRD is under "Developer's pack." A lot of other free downloads are at the bottom. You can find a pocket version of the core rules for 20 bucks in most game stores. And the things you just mentioned? Those are why I'd recommend traveller. Combat is messy, deadly, and for heaven's sakes keep your head down. Unlike d20, where you have abstract hitpoints and as long as you have 1 are fine, when you're hit in traveller you feel it (direct stat damage). Combat armor is some advanced ceramics and metals and cloth meant to keep you from getting splatted all over, and it doesn't do the job that well against military weapons of the era. Mostly all it does is make the difference that there's something the medic might be able to salvage if you're lucky. You can get good at something by practicing it, without needing to kill a quota of enemies first or getting a whole lot of weird baggage (you got better at shooting? Now you can make better armor!).

If I were modeling spartans, I'd use Battle Dress which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. And throw in every cyber/genetic enhancement in the book. And toss in the homebrewed personal shields (toned down a bit).