PDA

View Full Version : Evo game rules anyone some good ones?

Gourtox
2009-09-23, 03:33 PM
I've been looking for rules for and evo game for a while now anyone know where some are?

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-23, 03:37 PM
Umm... what's an evo game?

A quick Google search suggests it may be 1) a SNES game or 2) a German boardgame.

Gourtox
2009-09-23, 03:39 PM

A quick Google search suggests it may be 1) a SNES game or 2) a German boardgame.

Well an evo game is and evolution RPG. I played in one a while ago on these very forums. You have a species and evolve it as you see fit.

Blackfang108
2009-09-23, 03:39 PM

#1 is wrong. it's an AWESOME SNES game. (I still have the cartridge)

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-23, 03:41 PM
#1 is wrong. it's an AWESOME SNES game. (I still have the cartridge)

...it is still an SNES game, its anecdotal awesomeness notwithstanding.

Voldecanter
2009-09-23, 03:46 PM
So evo is D&D meets Spore ? Sounds interesting .

Blackfang108
2009-09-23, 03:48 PM
So evo is D&D meets Spore ? Sounds interesting .

Ehh, kinda.

It's a lot of fun, niftily interesting.

I'd say closer to FF meets SimEarth.

Gourtox
2009-09-23, 03:51 PM
Ehh, kinda.

It's a lot of fun, niftily interesting.

I'd say closer to FF meets SimEarth.

1)What evo are you talking about? The SNES game or the RPG?
2)We need to stay on topic.
3)So anyone have some rules?

Blackfang108
2009-09-23, 04:11 PM
1)What evo are you talking about? The SNES game or the RPG?
2)We need to stay on topic.
3)So anyone have some rules?

the SNES, at least in my case.

Glimbur
2009-09-23, 07:43 PM
You might have better luck in the play by post forums.

That said; here's your first rule: Single Celled.

AmberVael
2009-09-23, 07:54 PM
Something like this game? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124744)
Or broader in nature?

Gourtox
2009-09-23, 08:04 PM
Something like this game? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124744)
Or broader in nature?

a little broader. The game I'm thinking of you control everything from what they look like to society and stuff. You have to spend points to upgrade speech and stuff.

Zweanslord
2009-09-24, 04:17 AM
Okay, here are some links to rules. Note that some rules may not be fully complete or polished.

Evolution 3 Rules (http://evo3.dimensionomega.com/content/view/9/4/)
Evolution 2.5 Rules (http://evo2.dimensionomega.com/)
Evolight OOC with rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102815)

Evolving Civilisations Rules, or rather the recruiting post. The game ran on Myth-Weavers but it is now archived. Hence why the table is in Myth-Weavers format and does not display properly.

Evolving Civilisations

This is a game where each player will play a species or civilisation growing, developing and evolving over the course of time. You start with a species which has developed to the Iron Age and resides with other species on a continent. The world is open to you to do whatever you want.

Basically, you roleplay the progress and development or evolution of your species/civilisation. I will mostly take on an over-seeing role, only unleashing a few random events occasionally on the world. I will be there to make sure the rules are followed and will be there to oversee combat, but otherwise the roleplaying is up to you.

The game has started, but new species/civilisations will be accepted continuously. However, applications must meet a certain level of quality before being accepted. The better you describe your species/civilisation, the better.
At the start of the game, everybody will start at a particular continent. Newcomers after the start will start out at other continents or even other planets later in the game.

The game is divided into turns. Each turn lasts 1 real-time week and represents approximately a decade in-game time. Evolution and development work rapidly in this world, so changes and progress will occur quite a bit in that decade.
However, some species die under their fast progress. If you do not post for two full turns, your species collapses under its own progress in some way and is either wiped our or reduced to its non-sentient stage, with only ruins to mark their past presence.

Note that the world is quite alike earth, except for a few things. The map is different, the nightly sky is different and the wildlife is much more diverse and possibly alien. Every participant is free to think up their own type of wildlife, as long as it does not get too wild.

Below, the statistics of your species, population, traits, combat and the world will be explained.

The Game Forum (http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=3821)
Turn 1

New Players
Starting EP: 64
Starting Population: 20

Statistics

Each species has a number of evolutionary categories. How much Evolution Points (EP) they invest in each category determines how developed a category is. Evolution Points invested in categories buys ranks, which shows the current quality of the category. Each category is also related to an age, which determines how powerful the category is. Some categories may only exist in certain ages and later ages, due to the power of the category. You can buy up to four ranks in each category before you need to invest in the next age.

The ranks, ages and categories are described below. Each category also requires either Brain or Body. This is something you determine for each category (with two exceptions: Senses requires Body and Language requires brain). This means that you can not have more EP invested in that category than you have EP invested in the one you selected from Brain or Body of the same age. For example, if you want to have 3 EP in Language, you must have 3 EP in Brain of Age 1.

How do you determine whether something is related to either Body or Brain? Something is related to Body when it is an innate ability, such as sorcery, or an ability related to the body, such as camouflage, scales, fire breath, etc. Something is related to Brain when it is learned, such as wizardry or science, crafted, such as technological things as spears, or something using your mental capacity, such as psionics.

Some higher age categories also require certain lower age categories to be at Rank 4. In the table, if the cell to the left of the category contains a different category, then that needs to be at Rank 4 before you can invest in that category. For example, to invest in Artillery, you need to have Rank 4 of Ranged Age 1 in addition to the Body or Brain requirement.

Note: You must invest at least 1 EP in Brain, Body, Senses and Language.

Ranks

Rank 1
Poor Quality
The ability is weak, not developed well, unwieldy and just starting to be developed. Usually involves weak natural abilities manifesting, the first weak mutations, prototypes being developed or the first research in the field.

Rank 2
Decent Quality
The ability is somewhat developed and its effect or use is limited. Natural abilities or mutations show up commonly throughout the populace at limited strength, applications see limited use in daily life and research and abilities are at a more developed state.

Rank 3
Good Quality
The ability is developed quite well and its uses are mostly explored and found out. The ability is accessible and used by the majority, the quality is good and strong and research and abilities are developed in an advanced state.

Rank 4
Excellent Quality
The ability has reached the peak of development and is strong. Usually completely integrated in the species and the quality and strength of the ability are excellent. Research and abilities are at a completed state and to advance further will require the development of new categories in a higher age.

Ages

Age 1 - 1 EP/Rank - Stone Age
Age 2 - 2 EP/Rank - Iron Age
Age 3 - 4 EP/Rank - Renaissance Age
Age 4 - 8 EP/Rank - Modern Age
Age 5 - 16 EP/Rank - Future Age

Categories and Ages

{table=5,23]
[r=1,1]Stone[r=2,1]Iron[r=3,1]Renaissance[r=4,1]Modern[r=5,1]Future
[r=1,2]Brain I[r=2,2]Brain II[r=3,2]Brain III[r=4,2]Brain IV[r=5,2]Brain V
[r=1,3]Body I[r=2,3]Body II[r=3,3]Body III[r=4,3]Body IV[r=5,3]BrainV
[r=1,4]Senses[r=2,4]Perception I[r=3,4]Perception II[r=4,4]Perception III[r=5,4]Perception IV
[r=1,5]Language[r=2,5]Communication I[r=3,5]Communication II[r=4,5]Communication III[r=5,5]Communication IV
[r=1,6]Hierarchy I[r=2,6]Hierarchy II[r=3,6]Hierarchy III[r=4,6]Hierarchy IV[r=5,6]Hierarchy V
[r=1,7]Land Travel I[r=2,7]Land Travel II[r=3,7]Land Travel III[r=4,7]Land Travel IV[r=5,7]Land Travel V
[r=1,8][r=2,8]->[r=3,8]Earth Travel I[r=4,8]Earth Travel II[r=5,8]Earth Travel III
[r=1,9][r=2,9]->[r=3,9]Air Travel I[r=4,9]Air Travel II[r=5,9]Air Travel III
[r=1,10][r=2,10][r=3,10]->[r=4,10]Solar Travel I[r=5,10]Solar Travel II
[r=1,11][r=2,11][r=3,11][r=4,11]->[r=5,11]Star Travel
[r=1,12]->[r=2,12]Water Travel I[r=3,12]Water Travel II[r=4,12]Water Travel III[r=5,12]Water Travel IV
[r=1,13]Food I[r=2,13]Food II[r=3,13]Food III[r=4,13]Food IV[r=5,13]Food V
[r=1,14][r=2,14][r=3,14]->[r=4,14]Terraforming I[r=5,14]Terraforming II
[r=1,15]Culture I[r=2,15]Culture II[r=3,15]Culture III[r=4,15]Culture IV[r=5,15]Culture V
[r=1,16]Stealth I[r=2,16]Stealth II[r=3,16]Stealth III[r=4,16]Stealth IV[r=5,16]Stealth V
[r=1,17][r=2,17]Healing I[r=3,17]Healing II[r=4,17]Healing III[r=5,17]Healing IV
[r=1,18][r=2,18][r=3,18]Adaptation I[r=4,18]Adaptation II[r=5,18]Adaptation III
[r=1,19]Melee I[r=2,19]Melee II[r=3,19]Melee III[r=4,19]Melee IV[r=5,19]Melee V
[r=1,20]Ranged I[r=2,20]Ranged II[r=3,20]Ranged III[r=4,20]Ranged IV[r=5,20]Ranged V
[r=1,21]->[r=2,21]Artillery I[r=3,21]Artillery II[r=4,21]Artillery III[r=5,21]Artillery IV
[r=1,22]Defence I[r=2,22]Defence II[r=3,22]Defence III[r=4,22]Defence IV[r=5,22]Defence V
[r=1,23]Constructed I[r=2,23]Constructed II[r=3,23]Constructed III[r=4,23]Constructed IV
[r=5,23]Constructed V
[/table]

Category Descriptions

Brain
Determines how smart your species is, how well it can reason, understand things, learn and come up with creative new ideas. It is a measure of intelligence and functions of the brain.

Body
This represents the internal complexity and functioning of the body. It adds to the life span of species (see the life span section under traits) and makes the species more resistant to diseases and illnesses.

Senses
Is based on Body.
This category indicates how well a species can observe its surroundings. Touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight are common senses. Which senses your species has must be described. If some senses are better than others, describe this. Other senses are possible, such as for example nightsight (instead of sight). This allows a species to not be caught unaware (see stealth under combat).

Perception
Requires: Senses
This category is an extension of the Senses category. This can be any form of perception, from bodily senses, such as eagle’s sight, or otherwise, such as binoculars, heat-vision sensors, radar, far-sight magic, etc. The latter do fall, naturally, under higher age perception.

Language
A language allows individuals of a species to converse with each other. This can be spoken language, sign language or another simple means of communication. At rank 1, this is extremely crude, allowing the species only to talk about the simplest matters such as “food”, “danger” and “mating”. At rank 4, this is at the level of communication as we know it. It is recommended to invest in this type of category. If a species meets another species, it can teach its own language to the other for free in a single turn, up to the ranks the learning species has in language.

Communication
Requires: Language
This is for advanced mediums of communication. This can be a logistical, with messenger routes set up or on a more local scale, for example the basics of telepathy on an individual scale. At higher ages, this can eventually lead to radio, a hive mind form of communication or crystal ball-phones. Allows species to exchange information more rapidly across their regions and act swiftly accordingly.

Hierarchy
Hierarchy indicates a form of working together on a bigger scale. The type of the hierarchy is open, though it must fit the age. Tribal council or ‘the rule of the strongest’ are examples of starting hierarchies, while a monarchy or democracy would be a higher age hierarchy. Most hierarchical structures are based on Brain, but Body hierarchical structures are possible, such as hierarchies based on pheromones ore physical castes. Hierarchy influences how many population units can live in a region. See the section about population units and regions.

Land Travel
Influences how fast population units can move between adjacent land regions. With no investments in travel, this requires half a turn. With larger size area’s (see world section) the travel time is multiplied with 2^(Size). Each Rank 4 reduces travelling time to a half, with ranks in between giving appropriate, smaller, reductions.

Water Travel
Requires: Land Travel I
Allows population units to move over water regions. With no investments, this is impossible. At Water Travel I Rank 1, moving to an adjacent water region takes 1/4th a turn. With larger size area’s (see world section) the travel time is multiplied with 2^(Size). Each Rank 4 reduces travelling time to a half, with appropriate smaller reductions for ranks in between. If the population unit ends its turn in a water region and it can not live in water regions, all travelling population units are lost. Water Travel II and later may include underwater travel.

Air Travel
Requires: Land Travel II
Allows population units to move over regions through the air. At Air Travel I Rank 1, moving to an adjacent region takes 1/8th a turn. With larger size area’s (see world section) the travel time is multiplied with 2^(Size). Each Rank 4 halves travelling time to a half. If the population unit ends its turn in a region it can not live in, all travelling population units are lost.

Earth Travel
Requires: Land Travel II
Allows population units to move across regions through the earth. This allows travel under water regions. At Earth Travel I Rank 1, moving to an adjacent region takes 1/8th a turn. With larger size area’s (see world section) the travel time is multiplied with 2^(Size). Each Rank 4 reduces travelling time to a half, with appropriate smaller reductions for ranks in between. If the population unit ends its turn in a region it can not live in, all travelling population units are lost.

Solar Travel
Requires: Air Travel I
Allows population units to move between planets and moons. At Solar Travel I Rank 1, travel between a planet and its moon(s) costs half a turn. Travel to a planet one position further costs 1 turn. Each Rank 4 reduces travelling time to a half, with appropriate smaller reductions for ranks in between. If the population units end their turn in space, no travelling population is lost, but it does not count for population growth.

Star Travel
Requires: Solar Travel I
Allows population units to move between star systems. This does not affect travel within solar systems. Travel to the nearest star system costs 1 turn. Rank 4 reduces travelling time to a half, with appropriate smaller reductions for ranks in between. If the population units end their turn in space, no travelling population is lost, but it does not count for population growth.

Food
The food category represents ways to get food, such as hunting, foraging or farming. Has an influence on the maximum of population units which can live in a region. See the section about population.

Terraforming
Requires: Food III
This category gives species the ability to increase or decrease the natural fertility of a region permanently. Each use changes the terrain type of an area. At Terraforming I rank 1, a single use can change the terrain type of a region to another terrain type whose fertility differs 1 fertility from the original terrain type. At Terraforming I Rank 4, the fertility difference from the original terrain can be up to 2. At Terraforming II Rank 2, this difference can be 4 and at Terrforming II Rank 4, terrain type can be changed to any other terrain type with a single use. Per turn, you get 4^(Ranks-1) uses. Each region costs 4^(Size) uses to be terraformed. Uses not spent are lost at the end of the turn. You can only terraform areas which are nearby your areas and not under the control of another species or where the other species has granted permission for terraforming.

Culture
This represents the cultural aspects of your species or civilisation. It might include religion, devotion, or it might include disciplines, teachings or stories being moved through generations. It might include a focus on physical or metaphysical objects, such as a culture where woodworking and wooden statues is important or where enlightenment is seen as chief goal. The higher your culture, the greater morale your people have and the more difficult it is for enemies to infiltrate your culture. At great heights of culture, it might even overshadow neighbouring cultures, intimidating them or making them envious of you and influencing their culture, turning it into yours. It is part catch-all category for concepts not fitting in other categories, and partially a category that shows how deep the culture of your species is.

You can keep population units from joining a fight you are involved in equal to 1 population unit per 2 ranks your culture is above that another species. This number can be less if desired. This ability can be used on each other species once per turn.
If your culture is at least 8 ranks above that of another species, you may steal 1 population unit of that other species per turn, which converts to your side. Per 2 ranks above that, you may steal an additional population unit. These population units becoming a minority in your civilisation, they do not retain the evolutionary categories of the other species, instead adapting yours. This must be done at the start of the turn and can only be done once per turn. Further, it can not be done in conjunction with keeping population units from that particular species fighting against you.
To use this ability on another species or civilisation, you must have contact with that species or civilisation.

Stealth
This is a category which allows a species to not be easily detected by senses and perception. Besides being able to sneak by others, this allows for the advantage of surprise in combat. See the Stealth section in combat for more details. This ability can include camouflage, sneaking or at higher ages, ninja-stealth, invisibility cloaks/magic, keeping off radar, lowering body temperature, etc.

Healing
This represents not just healing, such as first aid or surgery, but also healing magic, regeneration, regrowth of limbs and bringing back individuals from near-death. Resurrection, however, is impossible. Note that fast regeneration, regrowth of limbs and such are high-age categories. Healing can prevent or cures diseases and illnesses, improve health and lengthen the lifespan. See lifespan under traits for more details.

Adaptation
Adaptation means the ability to adapt to unfriendly or hostile environments, such as tundra life, desert life, underwater life, space life, hostile planet environments, etc. This might be instant adaptation or an inherit ability to withstand such environments, showing that your species has already adapted to it. It might represent gills and the ability to slowly evolve with such new, permanent adaptations when in an environment or equipment which allows you to adapt to such environments. It need not represent adaptation to all environments, as described below. It might just represent your species turning aquatic or otherwise adapted instead. It can also represent dependence on another energy source, such as light, heat or minerals instead of organic food. It allows a species to reduce sleep and change its very nature. For example, Adaptation III might turn your species robotic, elemental, etc.
Adaptation I Rank 2 reduces Desert and Tundra disadvantages in half. Adaptation I rank 3 allows colonisation of water areas. Rank 4 negates Desert and Tundra disadvantages. Adaptation II is important for adaptation on other planets and moons. Adaptation III is important for adaptation on very hostile environments on other planets and moons, as well as large colonies in space. Adaptation III Rank 4 allows a complete transformation, putting all fertility of all regions at 4.

Melee
An offensive category, meant for melee range combat. This includes things such as clubs, swords, bite attacks, fire breath, fire swords, molecule-thin swords, lightsabers, etc. The latter categories are high-age categories.

Ranged
An offensive category, meant for long-range combat. This includes things such as thrown rocks, slings, bows, conjured jolts, flung needles, fire orbs, lasers, fire rays, etc. The latter categories are high-age categories.

Artillery
Requires: Ranged I
An offensive category, meant for long-range combat with an area of effect. This includes things such as fireballs, catapults, cannons, missiles and other things that give nice explosions.

Defence
A defensive category, meant to stop offensive abilities. This includes things such as armour, conjured shields, tough skin, etc.

Constructed
A defensive category, this represents a constructed defence, static at one place and on a larger protective scale. This can be buildings, fortifications, castles, homes, towers, traps, burrows, the great wall, lightning walls, etc.

Population

Your species starts out in a single region. In this region your species has a certain amount of population units. Each population unit contains a number of individuals. How much individuals depends on the size of your species (see Size, under Traits).

A species population growth is based on the current amount of population units, and new units are received at the start of a turn (except the first turn). The new population units are placed in regions you already have units. Population units can not be placed in regions where you have already reached the maximum amount of units. There are two population maximum types: Hierarchy and Food. You can not have more units than the lowest of these two maximums. If you can not place units in any of your regions due to the maximum being reached, any excess population units gained are lost.

Population Growth: +1 population unit per 4 population units (minimum 1 as long as you have any population units)
Population Max (Hierarchy): 4^Region Size x (28 + 2 per rank in Hierarchy)
Population Max (Food): 4^Region Size x (Region Fertility x 4 + 2 per rank of Food)

For example, a species has 2 ranks in Hierarchy and 4 ranks in food and lives in plains, which is a Fertility 7 region, and the region is Size 0. Population Max (Hierarchy) is 4^0 x (28 + 2 * 2) = 32. Population Max (Food) is 4^0 x (7 * 4 + 4 * 2) = 36. The lower of the two is 32, thus the maximum population is 32.

Overpopulation

Overpopulation can not occur from population growth, since if you have reached the maximum amount of units in your regions your population growth will be lost. However, it is possible to get overpopulation from moving population units from one area to the next. If, because of this, there are more population units than the population unit maximum for the area, any population units over the maximum are lost.
This only happens when a population unit is staying there and not just travelling through. Though, ofcourse, if all regions the population unit(s) is passing through is at maximum, including the final region, you can not bypass this rule by just travelling about.
Despite the ability to travel through areas with maximum population, there can be no more than 50% over the maximum population units at any time through travel.

Multiple species in a region

What happens when there are two species in the same region? The Population Max (Hierarchy) is not affected: Any species can not have more population units in the region than their own Population Max (Hierarchy. The Population Max (Food) is handled differently.

Each population unit of every species in the region counts against the food limit. If all species have the same ranks in Food, the Population Max (Food) can be divided amongst all species. For example, Species A has 4 units in a region and Species B has 6 units in a region, while after calculating, the Population Max (Food) is 8 for both. Since they both count against this maximum, there are 10 population units and only 8 can be supported. The two species could come to an agreement that they each lose 1 unit, having 3 and 5 units in the end respectively, or the food limit can be averaged over the two, each having a limit of 2, which would cost Species B 2 units.

If the Population Max (Food) is not the same over all species, those who have a higher Population Max (Food) than others can only use this food for themselves, but the units making use of that food do not count against other species limits. This means that a species with lower maximum is still limited by its own Population Max (Food), but that a number of other species population units need not count against its own Population Max.
Suppose Species A has a Population Max (Food) of 10 and 2 units and Species B has a Population Max (Food) 6 and has 8 units. Even if Species A wanted to, it could not give part of its population max (food) to Species B to let it provide for all of its units. This means that Species B would lose 2 units.
If, instead, Species A had 6 units, 4 of them would not count against Species B’s limit due to Species A’s higher Population Max (Food). This means Species B would lose at least 2 units. This, however, would put Species B at 6 units and Species A at 6 units, which is 2 above both their maximum’s. Because while 4 of Species A’s population units do not count against Species B’s maximum, the other two do count against the maximum. And all of Species B’s population units counts against Species A’s maximum population. This means that 2 units need to be lost on either Species A’s side or Species B’s side, or possibly 1 unit each. This can be agreed upon by both species, but otherwise the losses are divided equally.

Traits

Besides evolutionary categories, you will have to describe your species properly. You have a lot of freedom in describing your species, as long as their abilities do not exceed the EP they put in the relevant categories.

Note that your species can have abilities not caught in the relevant categories. For example: blacksmithing, woodworking, nice smell or prestidigitation magic. As long as your Brain or Body is high enough and you have some relevant abilities, you can incorporate these aspects freely in your species. Thus, it would be okay for a species with high Iron Age Brain and Melee where you use iron swords to be good blacksmiths, but it would not be okay for that same species to just learn/know how to make the air smell nice with magic if it does not have any other magical abilities (unless it is a starting lead-in learning process to other more advanced abilities). If the species’ whole society is built around such an ability, though, you might wish to spend more in Culture to reflect this.
If you want to be the same species as another player and only have a different civilisation with different culture, abilities and costumes, you are free to do so.

While you are mostly free to describe your species as you like, below are some main points of interest to help you out with a description.

What is their appearance and shape?
How does their body function?
Are they egg-layers or give birth to live young?
How do they move? For example, are they bipeds or do they move like snakes?
What kind of grasping appendages, if any, do they have?
What is their favourite diet?
Are they omnivores, herbivores or carnivores?
What is their societal structure like?
What is their general behaviour like?
What is their environment like?

Note that your species starts out with the following basic traits.

The species need to rest for at least 1/4th of the time.
They have a sense of touch and pain
They are organic
They need to eat and drink
They are either carnivores, herbivores or omnivores
They are land creatures

Size

One important aspect is size. For ease of use, we will use the D&D size categories. The size category influences how many individuals are within a population unit. Population units are further explained in the Population section.

Note that those wishing to use multiple sizes in their species are perfectly allowed to do this. For example, you might have a caste of medium sized warriors and a caste of small sized workers. The amount of individuals in a unit will change depending on how many of each size are present. Each individual of a certain size is worth 2 individuals of a smaller size and 0.5 individuals of a higher size.

The size given below indicates either body length or height, depending on species. Also note that size does not grant any other mechanical advantages or disadvantages for simplicities sake. Please indicate clearly what size(s) your species is.

Fine – <15cm - 256 Individuals per Unit
Diminutive - 15-30cm -128 Individuals per Unit
Tiny - 30-60cm - 64 Individuals per Unit
Small - 0.6-1.2m - 32 Individuals per Unit
Medium - 1.2-2.4m - 16 Individuals per Unit
Large - 2.4-4.8m - 8 Individuals per Unit
Huge - 4.8-9.6m - 4 Individuals per Unit
Gargantuan - 9.6-19.2m - 2 Individuals per Unit
Colossal - 19.2-38.4m - 1 Individual per Unit

Lifespan

An individual of a species has a natural lifespan of 4 decades, but this can be longer. ¼th of a life span is dedicated to youth, and the same time is dedicated to elderly. This lifespan applies to individuals, which affects roleplay, but any population deaths are already part of the population formulae, so you need not worry about that. The following things affect life span:
Body: +1 decade Per Rank 4 in Body. So an additional decade at Rank 4 Body I, Rank 4 Body II, etc.
Healing: +1 decade at Healing I Rank 4 2, +2 decades at Healing II Rank 4, +3 decades at Healing III Rank 4, +4 decades Per Rank 4 in Healing IV Rank 4. These bonuses are cumulative, so a species with Healing Rank 4 Age 3 (and no Body I Rank 4) would live for 7 decades.

Combat

Combat happens when two sides fight. There are several categories which are affiliated to combat.

Senses
Perception
Stealth
Healing
Melee
Ranged
Artillery
Defence
Constructed
Culture

Note: The combat rules may be adjusted or altered in the future as necessary.

Abilities

Before the attack, the attacking force may decide to sneak up on the other force. In this case, Senses, Perception and Stealth are important to determine the element of surprise in an attack. See the “Stealth” section further below for more details.

Before the attack, culture may stop a certain portion of the population units from joining the fight. Per 4 ranks the Culture of a species is greater than the other species 1 population unit may be kept from joining the fight. A species can use this ability on each other species once per turn if its culture is high enough.

In an attack, the attacking force’s Constructed is always counted as zero due to, you know, it being the attacking force, not defending force.

Combat Rounds

Combat happens in two phases, each a round. Round 1 is the “long-range” round, where artillery and ranged attacks are resolved. Round 2 is the “close-range” round where melee and ranged attacks are made.

Population Units Amount in an Attack

As mentioned in the section “Overpopulation”, any region can contain up to 150% of the maximum population cap mentioned there if those above the maximum population cap are travellers. This can be used to move an invading force in a region where the maximum population cap is already reached and initiate combat. If the force stays and does not attack, you may have just lost your population units in vain, though.

Combat Formulae

In the formulae below, you have to put the total amount of ranks of all ages you have in the relevant category. When it says “Attacker” and “Defender”, it does not mean the attacker or defender of the combat, but rather which side it counts for. If you have Species 1 attacking Species 2, the formulae would be used twice, once for each species. In the first case, Species 1 would be the attacker and Species 2 the defender, while in the second case, Species 2 would be the attacker and Species 1 the defender. This determines how of Species 1 is killed and how much of Species 2 is killed, respectively. Casualties are determined simultaneously. Any fractional results are rounded down. In Round 1, if the defender has no ranks in Defence or Constructed, count that side of the division as being 1.

Round 1:
((¼ Attacker: Ranged + ½ Attacker: Artillery) / (Defender: Defence + Defender: Constructed)) x Attacker: Population Units x (0.8 + (2d5 x 0.05))= Defender Population Unit Amount killed
Round 2:
((Attacker: Melee + ½ Attacker: Ranged + 4) / (Defender: Defence + ¼ Defender: Constructed + ½ Defender: Healing + 4) x Attacker: Population Units (0.8 + (2d5 x 0.05)) = Defender Population Unit Amount killed

Note that terrain can add modifiers to this formula, as well as Stealth. See the next section and the Terrain in the World section. Modifiers are all percentages and are additive, not multiplicative. For example, if you get two +10%’s to attack, the result is 120% attack.

If the combat is over and both forces still have units, the players may opt to launch another attack. It would be advised not to initiative another, or in fact, any attacks, just before turn end, though. Alternatively, one side may make use of the moment to flee and travel away.

If combat is on a lower scale than Population Units, you may use fractions of population units to determine how many individuals die, but it will not actually affect your total population count. Your Population Unit total will be the same, because the deaths are insignificant enough on the total amount.

Stealth

The attacker might decide to sneak up on the defender. In this case, the attacker can try two things, assuming the situation lends itself to it. If there is a large army striding through plains without cover and the defender has watchtowers, sneaking can not be attempted. If scouts of the defender continuously watch the enemy army parked near their castle, sneaking can not be attempted.

Sneak Attack: The attacker tries to sneak into melee range, trying to bypass a lot, if not all of, the ranged and artillery attacks.
Surprise Attack: The attacker tries to gain the element of surprise, dealing more damage. This is, however, not without risks.

In both cases, the attacker rolls a 1d6 and adds all his ranks in stealth and compares this against the defender’s senses and perception ranks added together.
At the defender’s detection ability or worse: Severe failure, plan back-fires
1-2 above the defender’s detection ability: Bad failure, plan has negative consequences
3-4 above the defender’s detection ability: Failure, but no back-fire
5-6 above the defender’s detection ability: Success, decent effect of plan
7 or higher above the defender’s detection ability: Superb Success, great result

Sneak Attack
Severe failure: You were discovered early, too early. The defender can make use of this. If the defender is in constructed defence, it may choose to have Round 1 twice before Round 2. If not, the bad failure result applies.
Bad failure: You were discovered too early when you were not ready. The defender gets +10% to Round 1 Attack.
Failure: The battle goes on as normal.
Success: You sneak partway, managing to let Round 1 last shorter. Round 1 has -20% attack.
Superb Success: You sneak in, making sure that battle starts without ranged weapons being able to be used in advance. There is no Round 1.

Surprise Attack

Severe failure: The defender catches on to your plan ahead of time and prepared adequately. +20% defence defender.
Bad failure: The defender catches on to your plan early and prepared. +10% defence defender.
Failure: The battle goes on as normal.
Success: The defender is caught not yet fully prepared. +10% attack attacker.
Superb Success: The defender is caught unprepared. +20% attack attacker.

Note: Attacking at the period of day when the defender is sleeping gives the attacker +1 Stealth. Thus, attacking during the night versus normal day-light creatures gives this bonus and attacking during the day versus nocturnal creatures gives this bonus.

World

In the map thread, a map of the world is given. Each region is a triangle on the map, with a terrain type. The fertility of a region is based on the terrain type. Below, the possible terrain types, their appearance, traits and their fertility is given, as well as the size of regions. Beyond that, the celestial bodies are described later on, which are visible in the (night) sky.

The world is always in a certain age. This influences how much EP the species get, with higher ages awarding more EP per turn. It also represents the situation of the species: when the world is in a higher age, all the species are more developed. The game starts in the Iron Age.

Species will be shown on the map during play using letters corresponding to the first letters of their species' name.

The world is not a sphere, the world is a tetrahedron (the same shape as a four-sided dice). The edges are not sharp, but relatively round, and it is not a perfect tetrahedron, so you do not suddenly “fall over the edge” or the like. The other celestial bodies in the sky are of tetrahedron-like shape as well.

Terrain

Each terrain has a name, a fertility, traits and appearance. Fertility is important for population (see the population section), appearance is the colour of the terrain type on the map and traits are effects of the terrain. For traits, the following applies. Rang = Ranged Attack, Art = Artillery Attack, Def = Defence, Attack = Ranged, Artillery and Melee Attack. +/- X% adds to or reduces a certain percentage to that ability’s EP in combat for all sides in combat. “Requires Adaptation X” means that at least Rank 3 of that ability is required to settle in the region. Note that travel is still possible through these regions. However, Land Travel does not work to get you across water regions.

Plains - Fertility 7 - Light Green
Forest - Fertility 6 - Green - +1 Rank Stealth, -20% Ranged/Artillery
Jungle - Fertility 4 - Dark Green - +1 Rank Stealth, -40% Ranged/Artillery
Hills - Fertility 5 - Brown
Mountain - Fertility 3 - Gray - +20% Defense
Desert - Fertility 1 - Yellow - Food -2 Ranks
Tundra - Fertility 1 - White - Food -2 Ranks
Swamp - Fertility 1 - Teal - Attack -20%
Kelp Water - Fertility 7 - Turquoise - Requires Adaptation
Water - 5 - Light Blue - Requires Adaptation
Deep Water - 2 - Dark Blue - Requires Adaptation

Region Size
In the population section, the size of regions was mentioned. Each smallest triangle on the map is of size 1, the smallest size. The other size triangles are visible by thicker-lined triangles. In later ages, smaller triangles may be merged in larger triangles.

Size 0 - Single Triangle
Size 1 - Triangle composed of 4 Size 0 Triangles
Size 2 - Triangle composed of 4 Size 1 Triangles
Size 3 - Triangle composed of 4 Size 2 Triangles
Size 4 - Triangle composed of 4 Size 3 Triangles

Adjacency

The following image shows how adjacency works with triangles and which direct moves are allowed. Green arrows and triangles indicate adjacency, allowing movement, red arrows and triangles indicate that those triangles are not adjacent and that direct movement between those triangles is not allowed.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6669/movement.png