PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] AMF within AMF?

Choco
2009-09-23, 05:09 PM
Alright, simple question... how would you rule someone trying to activate an AMF from within an AMF?

I know that by their nature AMF's are either cause by a spell, an item, or a supernatural ability (all of which are canceled out by an AMF) and thus would technically not function within one.

Specifically, can I get behind a Beholder and cast AMF to cancel out its AMF cone ability?

Or would some of y'all rule that you can have "nested" AMF's?

olentu
2009-09-23, 05:11 PM
Alright, simple question... how would you rule someone trying to activate an AMF from within an AMF?

I know that by their nature AMF's are either cause by a spell, an item, or a supernatural ability (all of which are canceled out by an AMF) and thus would technically not function within one.

Specifically, can I get behind a Beholder and cast AMF to cancel out its AMF cone ability?

Or would some of y'all rule that you can have "nested" AMF's?

I believe that anitmagic fields are stated to have no effect other antimagic fields (though technically not to themselves).

Edit: Though this is just on memory and so depending on how it is worded that might change and I would have to look some things up if I were going to give a complete answer.

Kantur
2009-09-23, 05:15 PM
Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other.

Nice simple answer

Choco
2009-09-23, 05:18 PM
Oooo, does that by default cover activating one within another though? Like could I cast the AMF spell within an AMF? Or activate an AMF item?

Milskidasith
2009-09-23, 05:23 PM
Well this is a tricky situation... but I'd rule that you cannot activate your AMF if the beholder is AMFing you, and the beholder cannot activate it's AMF if you are AMFing it. However, if you have an AMF up and it's already gazing at you with it's AMF, then it's already in effect so it doesn't change anything; it can't use it's other eye rays, and you can't use your magic gear.

olentu
2009-09-23, 05:24 PM
Oooo, does that by default cover activating one within another though? Like could I cast the AMF spell within an AMF? Or activate an AMF item?

Well again as I remember an antimagic field does not keep one from casting inside the field. However I can not at the moment remember exactly what is said about items with activated abilities.

Random832
2009-09-23, 05:55 PM
It's ambiguous in RAW whether you can cast spells from within the field, i thought.

Anyway, this topic just made me :smallbiggrin: Yo dawg... I heard you didn't like magic...

taltamir
2009-09-23, 06:12 PM
question is... can he CAST the AMF spell within an AMF? I would say no, you have to be outside an AMF to cast a second one, but if two overlap, then nothing... they don't interfere.

tyckspoon
2009-09-23, 06:26 PM
It's ambiguous in RAW whether you can cast spells from within the field, i thought.

It's really not. It's a little hard to parse and it's incredibly counter-intuitive, but I don't find it at all ambiguous. You can cast. The tricky part is figuring out whether or not the spell you cast does anything. In the specific case of trying to cast another AMF, the factor to consider is that AMF has a line declaring how it interacts with other AMFs- specifically, it doesn't. You can cast an AMF inside another AMF.

If you cast it around a Beholder's AMF Eyebeam, you will shut off the Eyebeam, as AMF shuts down Supernatural abilities. If you cast it *before* an AMF-creating item can be triggered, you will prevent the item from being used; AMF suppresses the item's ability to make an AMF. If you cast it after the item is activated, well, it depends on the wording. If the item just casts AMF, it makes no difference. The spell is self-supporting once cast and it doesn't matter whether or not the item is currently magical. If the item instead continuously projects an AMF, you'll shut it off in the same fashion as the Beholder's AMF cone.

olentu
2009-09-23, 06:39 PM
It's really not. It's a little hard to parse and it's incredibly counter-intuitive, but I don't find it at all ambiguous. You can cast. The tricky part is figuring out whether or not the spell you cast does anything. In the specific case of trying to cast another AMF, the factor to consider is that AMF has a line declaring how it interacts with other AMFs- specifically, it doesn't. You can cast an AMF inside another AMF.

If you cast it around a Beholder's AMF Eyebeam, you will shut off the Eyebeam, as AMF shuts down Supernatural abilities. If you cast it *before* an AMF-creating item can be triggered, you will prevent the item from being used; AMF suppresses the item's ability to make an AMF. If you cast it after the item is activated, well, it depends on the wording. If the item just casts AMF, it makes no difference. The spell is self-supporting once cast and it doesn't matter whether or not the item is currently magical. If the item instead continuously projects an AMF, you'll shut it off in the same fashion as the Beholder's AMF cone.

Assuming this is all correct this seems like a much better explanation than the random bits that I happened to remember, that may or may not be correct.

Choco
2009-09-23, 06:43 PM
Yeah, that seems to clear things up a bit, thanks guys!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:16 PM
Yo, dawg...

FMArthur
2009-09-24, 12:17 AM
Yo, dawg...

The sad thing is that I came here just to see this.

AslanCross
2009-09-24, 09:23 AM
Yo beholder.

I'm really happy for you and all, and I'mma let you finish, but Antimagic Field is the best spell of all time.

OF ALL TIME.