PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Hexmage. Feedback appreciated.

Bushwhacked
2009-09-23, 05:26 PM
My take on the Hexblade. I looked at it and thought it would work much better as the bard's ugly sister. I've tried to keep the best bits about the Hexblade in place (including the good familiar, albeit with less BAB) and enhance the class features with a bit more pop and a few more options. Anyway enjoy and PEACH as the saying goes.

Edit: I forgot to put in the spellcasting tables...:smallredface:. They're the same as the bards.

Hexmage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Hexmage's Curse

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Arcane Resistance

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mettle

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Twisted Curse

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Hexmage Feat

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Dark Companion

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Aura of Unluck (20%)

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Greater Curse

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Quick Cast (1-day)

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Hexmage Feat

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Aura of Disruption (20%)

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Twisted Curse

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Aura of Unluck (50%)

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Quick Cast (2-day)

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Hexmage Feat

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Dire Curse

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Aura of Disruption (50%)

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Moment of Prescience (2-day)

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Quick Cast (3-day)

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Twisted Curse, Hexmage feat[/table]

Game Rule Information

Hexmage's have the following game statistics.

Abilities: Charisma is important not only for a Hexmage's spellcasting, but also for their curse and arcane resistance abilities. Wisdom is a Hexmage's least important ability.
Alignment: Any non-good.
Hit Die: d10.
Starting Gold: 4d4 x 10

Class Skills

The Hexmage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Hexmage.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Hexmage is proficient with all simple weapons. Hexmages are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields). A Hexmage can cast her spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a Hexmage wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass Hexmage still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Spells: A Hexmage casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the Hexmage spell list (see below). She can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a Hexmage must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Hexmage's spell is 10 + the spell level + the Hexmage’s Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Hexmage can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score. When the table indicates that the Hexmage gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, she gains only the bonus spells she would be entitled to based on her Charisma score for that spell level.

The Hexmage's selection of spells is extremely limited. A Hexmage begins play knowing four 0-level spells of your choice. At most new Hexmage levels, she gains one or more new spells, as indicated on the table above. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a Hexmage knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on the table are fixed.)

Upon reaching 5th level, and at every third Hexmage level after that (8th, 11th, and so on), a Hexmage can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the Hexmage "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level Hexmage spell the Hexmage can cast. A Hexmage may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

As noted above, a Hexmage need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.

Hexmage's Curse (Su): As a free action, a Hexmage can unleash a curse upon a foe. The target must be visible to the Hexmage and within 60 feet. The target of a Hexmage’s curse takes a –2 penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 hour thereafter. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Hexmage’s class level + Cha modifier) negates the effect.

A Hexmage can use this ability, once per day for every two levels she has in Hexmage plus her charisma modifier. Multiple Hexmage’s curses don’t stack. Any effect that removes or dispels a curse eliminates the effect of a Hexmage’s curse.

At 8th level this ability is replaced by greater curse, the penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls incurred by a target of the Hexmage’s curse becomes –4 instead of –2. Additionally the DC to save increases (DC 15+1/2 Hexmage's class level+Cha modifier).

At 16 level this ability is replaced by dire curse, the penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls incurred by a target of the Hexmage’s curse becomes –6 instead of –4. Additionally the DC to save increases (DC 20+1/2 Hexmage's class level+Cha modifier).

Arcane Resistance (Su): At 2nd level, a Hexmage gains a bonus equal to his Charisma bonus (minimum +1) on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.

Mettle (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a Hexmage can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Hexmage does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Twisted Curse (Su): At her 4th, 12th and 20th levels a Hexmage may learn one of the below abilities. I you choose to use a twisted curse it modifies the next Hexmage's curse you cast. A target can only have one Hexmage curse or twisted curse effecting it at any time, of another is cast on it all previous curses are dispelled.

* 'Curse of Distraction-' The curse no longer applies it's penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Instead it's target must make concentration checks to cast any spell or spell like ability. The DC equals 15+spell level, 20+spell level for a greater curse and 25+spell level for a dire curse.
* 'Curse of Delusion-' The curse no longer applies it's penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Instead it's target begins acting as though under the effect of a mind controlling spell. The target acts charmed, the target acts as though under either charm or suggestion for a greater curse and the target acts as though charmed, suggested or dominated for a dire curse.
* 'Curse of Sloth-' The curse no longer applies it's penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Instead all of the targets forms over movement are hampered. The targets speed is reduced by 1/4, 1/2 for a greater curse and 3/4 or a dire curse.
* 'Curse of Revelation-' The curse no longer applies it's penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. The target receives a -10 penalty to hide checks, additionally for a greater curse, the target cannot acquire the invisible status. Finally for a dire curse anyone can see the target as though they were looking at it with true seeing.
* 'Cursed Ground-' The curse no longer had a range of 60'. The Hexmage touches the ground and causes anything nearby aside from her and her familiars to become cursed. Anything entering the area comes under the effect of the Hexmage's curse as though they had the curse cast on them, exiting the area causes the effects to cease. The area effected is a 10 ft. radius, a 20 ft. radius for a greater curse and a 40 ft. radius for a dire curse.
* 'Curse Group-' The curse's duration is reduced to 30 seconds. The Hexmage can choose more the one target to receive the effects of her curse, all of the targets must be within range and no two targets can be more than 30 ft. apart. The Hexmage can curse 2 targets, 4 for a greater curse and 6 for a dire curse.

Hexmage Feats: At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter a Hexmage gains a bonus feat, which must be selected from the following list: Combat Casting, Spell Focus (enchantment, necromancy, or transmutation only), Spell Penetration, Obtain Familiar, Extra Spell, Battle Caster, Ability Focus.

Alternatively, Empower Curse, Extend Curse, Extra Curse, Foe of the Unlucky, from dragon #339 can be selected. A Hexmage need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Dark Companion (Su): At 6th level a Hexmage can create a ephemeral effigy which acts as a companion of sorts, it can resemble anything you choose, most commonly a small animal or it can be completely invisible. Either way all living creatures can sense where it is instinctively and treat it as though it is visible. Creating it takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100gp. Once created, your dark companion stands with you in battle hindering your enemies defenses.

Any enemy adjacent to your dark companion takes a -2 penalty on it's saves and to it's AC. Your companion has a fly (perfect) speed equal to the your fastest mode of movement and it acts during your turn each round. It follows your mental commands perfectly- in effect it's merely an extension of your will. Your dark companion has no real substance, and thus can't attack or otherwise effect creatures or objects. it occupies a 5-foot space. Even though any creature can enter a dark companions space without restriction it must occupy it's own space to have any effect on enemies. It is immune to any damage or other effects that might harm creatures, though it can be dispelled or suppressed just like any other supernatural ability. Your dark companion is treated as a spell that is equal to 1/4 of your Hexmage level when it becomes a target of a dispel. If the dispel is successful, your dark companion automatically reforms at your side 24 hours later. A dark companion can't create flanking situations, nor can it provoke attacks of opportunity. If it move either 120 ft. from you or out of line of effect, it instantly reappears adjacent to you.

Aura of Unluck (Su): At 7th level a Hexmage's control of luck begins to protect her, making her difficult to target, first with physical attacks and then with spells. You gain concealment (20% miss chance). This miss chance increases to 50% at 13th level. The effect of this ability does not stack with blink or similar spell effects.

Quick Cast: At 9th level you can cast one spell each day as a swift action, so long as the casting time of the spell is 1 standard action or less. You get an additional use per day at both 14th and 19th levels.

Aura of Disruption (Su): At 11th level a Hexmage's control of luck increases and she becomes harder to harm with magic. Individually targeted spells have a 20% chance of failing against you. This spell failure chance increases to 50% at 17th level. The effect of this ability does not stack with blink or similar spell effects.

Moment of Prescience (Sp): At 18th level the Hexmage can sense bad luck coming her way. She gains the ability to cast Moment of Prescience as an immediate action twice per day. Her caster level is equal to her Hexmage level.

Hexmage Spells

0-Level (Cantrips)
Arcane mark, Detect magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Read magic, Mage hand, Mending, Open/Close

1st-level
Alarm, Augment familiar, Cause fear, Charm person, Disguise self, Entropic shield, Expeditious retreat, Identify, Magic weapon, Mount, Phantom threat, Protection from (Law/Chaos/Good/Evil), Sleep, Undetectable alignment, Unseen servent, Comprehend languages, Nystuls magic aura, Chill touch

2nd-level
Tasha's hideous laughter, Alter self, Blindness/deafness, Eagles splendor, Enthrall, False life, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Mirror image, Protection from arrows, Pyrotechnics, Rage, Resist energy, Spider climb, Summon swarm, Touch of idiocy.

3rd-level
See invisibility, Suggestion, Arcane sight, Confusion, Deep slumber, Dispel magic, Hound of doom, Invisibility sphere, Phantom steed, Protection from energy, Repel vermin, Slow, Stinking cloud, Vampiric touch, Wind wall, Sepia snake sigil.

4th-level
Charm monster, Greater magic weapon, Nondetection, Cursed blade, Detect scrying, Dimension door, Eneveration, Poison, Fear, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Scrying, Solid fog, Shout.

5th-level
Baleful polymorph, Break enchantment, Contact other plane, Dominate person, Bestow curse, Phantasmal killer, Sending, Greater dispel magic, Shadow walk, Mind fog, Mass suggestion, Symbol of pain.

6th-level
Mass charm monster, Gaes/Quest, Irresistible dance, Greater shout, Greater scrying, Symbol of fear, Disintegrate, Tensers transformation

DragoonWraith
2009-09-23, 06:34 PM
Looks awesome! Only comment I have is that the "a creature may only be cursed once per day" really limits the "Chain Curse" ability a lot. There doesn't seem like there is a lot of need for that limiatation.

Oh, and in the Weapon and Armor Proficiency section, you claim that she can cast "Bard spells" without ASF - unless you really want players cross-referencing which spells also appear on the Bard list, I think you meant Hexmage spells, heh.

Personally, though, I would have named the class Witch. That's what it is, after all. A good one, too.

Bushwhacked
2009-09-23, 08:28 PM
Hehe... oops. That's what copying and pasting will do. On both counts. I'll get around to correcting the places that still say bard and I didn't really think about that limitation as I copied it.

Gorgondantess
2009-09-23, 08:38 PM
Lesseee...
1st of all, I'd throw this at least 4+int mod skill points, or something along those lines. As is, a high level caster can duplicate any of its abilities and more...
But Aura of Disruption. How can this be negated? If it cannot be negated (except by an antimagic field, obviously)... that's quite powerful. Having 50% of spells just fail is nothing to sneeze at, even at level 17. That alone makes it a very potent class, while before it was mid tier 3-ish.

Bushwhacked
2009-09-23, 09:09 PM
I kept the skills low to counteract the high HD a little but I will look that over.

Aura of disruption's inspiration came from the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)PRC's Evasive Celerity. In that class 50% is achievable at level 14 and is a extraordinary ability. It has a weakness there in that you have to cast haste to use it but that's a free action and from that point it remains active in an antimagic field.
The most I can think of right now would be to give both of the aura's the condition of having to be aware of the attack. Would that make it better?

Gorgondantess
2009-09-23, 09:29 PM
I kept the skills low to counteract the high HD a little but I will look that over.

Aura of disruption's inspiration came from the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)PRC's Evasive Celerity. In that class 50% is achievable at level 14 and is a extraordinary ability. It has a weakness there in that you have to cast haste to use it but that's a free action and from that point it remains active in an antimagic field.
The most I can think of right now would be to give both of the aura's the condition of having to be aware of the attack. Would that make it better?

*facepalm*
Looked over the "individually targeted" clause.
Okay, it works.:smallredface:

DragoonWraith
2009-09-23, 09:54 PM
It is my personal belief that no one but an Int-focused full-caster should have 2+Int skills. I'd say 6+Int, honestly, you're talking about a half-caster here.

Nero24200
2009-09-24, 06:15 AM
Looks like a pretty interesting class, though what does the feat "Foe of the Unlucky" do?

Bushwhacked
2009-09-24, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately that's copyrighted material from dragon mag so I can't reproduce it here. Nor can I tell you where to get it illegally, but it's easy enough to find.

Thanks guys. I'll be changing the skill points to at least 4+int and it looks like I've might have an opportunity to playtest it at mid levels soon.