PDA

View Full Version : help with my homebrew values

Orzel
2009-09-23, 06:56 PM
In my homebrew system, the typical combat attack uses a special system.

An attack skill looks like this: Shadow Magic 2/3 or Pistols 3/1
The first number is the Dice net. It determines how many rolled d6s a person is allowed to keep.
The second number is the Dice pool. It determines how many d6s a person is allowed to roll to make your Dice Sea. You roll a number of dice equal to 2 plus your Dice pool.

There is also special numbers that can be rolled.
A 6 grants one dice reroll. A High value in an approriate attribute might grant more rerolls.
A 1 require 2 rerolls to reroll.
A 3 must be kept.

For example. John the apprentice casting Sunbolt on a goblin. Sunbolt is Fey Magic and John has 2/2 for that skill. Sunbolt has a -1 die pentaly to dice sea so John rolls 3 dice (2+2-1).

He rolls a 6, 3, and 5. If he stopped here he'd have to keep the 3. Luckly he has a 6 for 1 reroll and high intelligence for another one. He spend thm both on the 3, gets a 2. He keeps the 6 and 5 and exceeds the goblin's defense of 9 (defenses are on average twice the sum of the dice pool and net at the mo).

Here's the part I need help on.
Which is better?
High Dice net or high Dice pool?

Sudduth
2009-09-23, 07:58 PM
Christ man! That is amazingly confusing. :smallconfused:
However, I would have to say that high dice pool would be better.

Gralamin
2009-09-23, 08:12 PM
In my homebrew system, the typical combat attack uses a special system.

An attack skill looks like this: Shadow Magic 2/3 or Pistols 3/1
The first number is the Dice net. It determines how many rolled d6s a person is allowed to keep.
The second number is the Dice pool. It determines how many d6s a person is allowed to roll to make your Dice Sea. You roll a number of dice equal to 2 plus your Dice pool.

There is also special numbers that can be rolled.
A 6 grants one dice reroll. A High value in an approriate attribute might grant more rerolls.
A 1 require 2 rerolls to reroll.
A 3 must be kept.

For example. John the apprentice casting Sunbolt on a goblin. Sunbolt is Fey Magic and John has 2/2 for that skill. Sunbolt has a -1 die pentaly to dice sea so John rolls 3 dice (2+2-1).

He rolls a 6, 3, and 5. If he stopped here he'd have to keep the 3. Luckly he has a 6 for 1 reroll and high intelligence for another one. He spend thm both on the 3, gets a 2. He keeps the 6 and 5 and exceeds the goblin's defense of 9 (defenses are on average twice the sum of the dice pool and net at the mo).

Here's the part I need help on.
Which is better?
High Dice net or high Dice pool?

...Is there any particular reason your system is so confusing? I'm guessing, since your asking this question, you don't understand the effects of the probabilities. My Suggestion is to find someone who does (I know I don't. Maybe If I tried to math it out for a couple of hours), and remake your system with them, so you have the probabilities you want.

DracoDei
2009-09-23, 08:14 PM
Consider having the +2 dice already worked into the notation system...

Milskidasith
2009-09-23, 09:10 PM
By the way, why would he spend two rerolls on the three? Couldn't he reroll it once, get the two, and then reroll the two?

Also, a high dice net is almost invariably going to be better than a high dice pool, just from a guesstimation. It's the difference between the averages of, say, 4d6, or 5d6b3. But it's still a really pointlessly confusing system; the +2 could be inherently worked into the system easily, for example.

Also, having three different expressions for two stats is just plain bad design. Get rid of Dice Sea entirely; Dice Pool and Dice net should suffice.

Orzel
2009-09-24, 05:10 AM
Because if you roll a 3, you have to use it unless you reroll it. So he rolls the 3 twice and got a 2 twice.

Mathwise I made some estimates.
a d6's average is 3.5 and you have a 16.5% chance of a reroll.
you have a ~50 chance of a reroll with 3 dice and most people will get one form high stats.
Most people will spend them on 2s and 3s.
This is where my rl headache causes another at doing probability.

Milskidasith
2009-09-24, 05:45 AM
This is still a terrible, inefficient, clunky system with a bunch of rules that do nothing in terms of probability. It seems to be trying to combine the bell curve, more likely to roll average stats of a 3d6 with the "high/low wins big!" of the d20... and it's worse than either because it's hard to understand, even if you remove the unnecessary baggage (do we really need two different terms for the dice you can roll before and after the +2 bonus dice you get on every single roll? Just make it one term and add the bonus in to all powers.)

Orzel
2009-09-24, 11:38 AM
You only roll 1 set of dice but you night get to reroll a die. You just dont get to use all the dice.

Attacking is 3 steps.
1) You roll dice equal to 2 plus your dice pool.
2) You may reroll dice equal to your number of rerolls.
You earn 1 reroll for each 6 you roll.
You earn 1 reroll if the skill's key attribute is over 5
Rerolling a natural 1 requires 2 earned rerolls.

3) You choose a number of dice equal to your dice net, add their values, and compare it to the target number.
You must choose any 3s you rolled.