PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Trapsmith?

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:20 PM
Hello all. I am currently in a campaign in which my party role is primary trap breaker/secondary caster. Obviously, the best base class would be beguiler (casting and trapfinding) and I'm playing a Whisper Gnome (good stealth and I love the race).

My problem is the beguiler's do not have Craft as a class skill, and I REALLY want to be a Trapsmith (from Dungeonscape) to max out my trap role.

If anyone has any build suggestions for me to achieve this, please post.

Thanks,
xKayos

quick_comment
2009-09-23, 08:23 PM
I thought everyone has craft on their skill list?

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:26 PM
Heh, I wish.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:30 PM
Take a level of Mindbender.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-23, 08:30 PM
Heh, I wish.

The errata says nothing. Odd that they would leave something like this out of the class.

Regardless, a Level Dip into any casting-based PrC (like Mindbender) will get you it as a class skill for a level, more than enough to invest the requisit ranks.

Edit: Ninja'ed because I looked up the errata.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:32 PM
You were weak.

While we're on the topic of Mindbender, you'll also want to pick up Able Learner so as to be able to keep putting skill points into skills that neither Mindbender nor Trapsmith support.

Btw, ever consider going into Combat Trapsmith (Complete Scoundrel) after Trapsmith?

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:34 PM
I was thinking blood magus actually (pretty sure Mindbender doesn't have Craft either). Nice benefits and such.

So, the build as it stands is Beguiler 4/Blood Magus 1/Trapsmith 3/Beguiler 3/Shadowcraft mage 5/Trapsmith 2/Beguiler 2

Or, simply straight Beguiler 15/Shadowcraft Mage 5.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:36 PM
I was thinking blood magus actually (pretty sure Mindbender doesn't have Craft either)
You are right...

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:38 PM
Btw, ever consider going into Combat Trapsmith (Complete Scoundrel) after Trapsmith?

Not really. I'm focused on breaking traps more than making them.

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:39 PM
While we're on the topic of Mindbender, you'll also want to pick up Able Learner so as to be able to keep putting skill points into skills that neither Mindbender nor Trapsmith support.

Able Learner is a Human or Doppleganger (or Changeling) specific feat. I'm a whisper gnome.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:39 PM
Ok, dawg. It's just that I heard you liked Trapsmith, so I thought I'd put a Trapsmith in your Trapsmith so that you could smith traps while you trapsmithed.

quick_comment
2009-09-23, 08:40 PM
Use a ritual of association from savage species.

Also, just ask your DM. Its a pretty silly oversight for the beguiler to not have craft.

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:42 PM
Use a ritual of association from savage species.

Also, just ask your DM. Its a pretty silly oversight for the beguiler to not have craft.

I would, but he's strictly no "homebrew" (rule fudging, etc.) for this campaign (half the party has never played before, so it's understandable). Also, what is a Ritual of Association?

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:48 PM
Ok, dawg. It's just that I heard you liked Trapsmith, so I thought I'd put a Trapsmith in your Trapsmith so that you could smith traps while you trapsmithed.

Yo, Trapsmith, I'm really happy for ya, and Imma let you finish, but Dungeon Delver is the best trap busting class of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:49 PM
The prestige class Ruather from RotW gives Craft as a class skill, I believe.

quick_comment
2009-09-23, 08:49 PM
Also, what is a Ritual of Association?

It lets you count as a member of another race. Costs a pretty penny though.

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 08:51 PM
It lets you count as a member of another race. Costs a pretty penny though.

...I'm not seeing how that would help...

tyckspoon
2009-09-23, 08:54 PM
...I'm not seeing how that would help...

It would let you count as another race for purposes of acquiring racially-restricted feats, such as Able Learner. Unfortunately that's a first-level-only feat, which is hard to reconcile with being able to afford the ritual.

jiriku
2009-09-23, 08:56 PM
Meh. Take it cross-class and buy a +10 skill magic item. Problem solved unless you're really bent on maximizing the craft skill.

quick_comment
2009-09-23, 08:57 PM
It would let you count as another race for purposes of acquiring racially-restricted feats, such as Able Learner. Unfortunately that's a first-level-only feat, which is hard to reconcile with being able to afford the ritual.

With the right backstory....

Here is the backstory: Crazy racist wizard who thinks that gnomes are just mutated humans kidnapps you and experiments on turning you human.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-23, 08:58 PM
Meh. Take it cross-class and buy a +10 skill magic item. Problem solved unless you're really bent on maximizing the craft skill.
The problem is that to enter the PrC, you need 8 ranks in Craft.

Forever Curious
2009-09-23, 09:01 PM
With the right backstory....

Here is the backstory: Crazy racist wizard who thinks that gnomes are just mutated humans kidnapps you and experiments on turning you human.

OBJECTION! I just looked it up and it wouldn't let me count as a human or doppleganger.

Thurbane
2009-09-23, 09:13 PM
Is the character human? A dip into Human Paragon will get you the class skill, but cost you a level of casting. If you stick with it, you get a feat and an ability boost...