PDA

View Full Version : D&D classes for my players?

Mystic Muse
2009-09-23, 11:23 PM
okay. right now I have a few players for a game I made up a long time ago. I know of the D&D equivalent classes for three of them but the other three I suspect may have trouble. their classes, from what I've heard have quite a bit of book keeping. here are the classes
wizard
Cleric
Druid.

the only person that might be able to keep up with the book keeping would probably be the person who's gong to play druid. Or monk she still ahsn't decided. however I have a solution to the monk. all I want to know is how much book keeping does each class I've mentioned actually require.

Milskidasith
2009-09-23, 11:25 PM
You need your spellbook for wizards, and your spells for day for all of them. Lower levels: No problem. Higher levels: It's a bit more troublesome, but you probably won't need more than daily buffs and higher level spells.

If you are new, suggest sorcerer in place of the wizard, and just suggest filling up slots you don't need with extra copies of spells for the cleric. Then bookkeeping is minimized.

Kylarra
2009-09-23, 11:26 PM
Wizard has the least to druid having the most.

Cleric is directly proportional to how much utility they want to have as theoretically every cleric spell ever printed is "viable".

Druid is similar to cleric but times 3, since you've got wildshape, your AC and your spells to track.

Random832
2009-09-23, 11:28 PM
Here's a quote that's perfect for here:
Some classes require more book-keeping to be powerful. Some...not so much. It takes equal amounts of effort to build a Warblade as it is a fighter, and just a tad more effort during play to...play. SoD wizards also only take a marginal amount more effort to build and play.

Now druids I can understand. WAY too much paperwork. Gotta stat out your various forms, your companion, your summons, etc.

tyckspoon
2009-09-23, 11:29 PM
Depends on the temperament of your players, really. All of the primary casters can entail hordes of bookkeeping; Wizards can be stuck keeping up on their spells known and spells cast (and choosing spells from among a potentially massive list. Clerics and Druids both get the picking-spells problem, as they automatically know all their spells. Druids have the additional problems of tracking their animal companions and figuring out what happens to their stats when they wildshape. And with three full casters, you potentially have tens of buffs, debuffs, and other assorted spell durations to keep track of.

But that's pretty much all optional bookkeeping, and you usually only run into the deep end of it if you really want to explore the depths of a class. If your Druid player only keeps to one or two favorite Wildshapes (or doesn't even use Wildshape for combat- you don't really need to know the stats for a condor when he decides to turn into one to scout around for a bit) and doesn't change animal companions a lot, that's not hard to get used to. If your Cleric memorizes all the same spells all the time (and a lot of them are Cure X Wounds) the player will get used to it. Same for the Wizard, only he blasts and doesn't bother hunting down new spells much.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-23, 11:42 PM
the one player doesn't have the mindset for control although he may buff players. I think he likes blasting a lot. The cleric wouldn't do anything except maybe buff once or twice and use cure x wounds.That's what she likes doing most oddly. the druid I don't know how that would go. I need to see how she plays in the game we're currently playing before any judgements are made. unfortunately we aren't playing for another week.:smallfrown:

I should probably mention what they rolled real quick. I kind of tricked them into accepting the same stats because otherwise every player except one had two eighteens which is hardly fair. before you ask I rolled their stats in advance.

believe me. you don't want to see the stats with 18s in them.

Kylarra
2009-09-23, 11:47 PM
The blaster should play a psion.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-23, 11:49 PM
I'll present it to him. the only real problem I have with it is We're already going to have a wilder.

Kylarra
2009-09-23, 11:56 PM
As long as they focus on different things, you shouldn't have too much toe-stepping, if the wizard was going to be a blaster anyway, he might as well be a psion and be better at it, sans cheese anyway.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-24, 12:03 AM
I don't mean to be rude but this player isn't smart enough to make the wizard extremely cheesy. he's kind of inattentive and ten years old at most. however a psion would probably be easier book keeping anyway.