PDA

View Full Version : Crazy items your DM has gifted you with!

MammonAzrael
2009-09-24, 01:19 AM
What crazy items have you gotten from your DM. Custom or otherwise, but something waaay stronger than what you probably should've had. Things that flatten encounters or such. Bonus points if the DM had no idea what they were giving you.

For example, about a year ago I played in a campaign where everyone got a custom magic item from the DM. I was a lv 1 Sorcerer, and a noble. So I requested my item be a signet ring. I got one hell of a ring. 3/day it could cast either Fireball, Lightning Bolt, or Icelance at my CL + 1. And had a permanent, lesser version of Foresight, always warning me of impending danger. I never let that ring off my finger. :smallbiggrin:

And for the DMs, are there any items you've given out that were way stronger than you thought?

Roc Ness
2009-09-24, 01:31 AM
Freeform:

Squirrel brain on a string.

As a backup weapon. To kill robot dragons. (Don't Ask)

jiriku
2009-09-24, 01:45 AM
Mmmm, deck of many things. My wizard leveled from 13 to 17 in five minutes. For the next several adventures while the rest of the party caught up with me, I was torpedoing our CR13-15 encounters with level 8 and level 9 spells. I mean, really, what is a roomful of CR9-12 demons going to do when you drop wail of the banshee? They're going to die, that's what they're going to do.

The other players must have felt like noobies getting a guild run.

Malacode
2009-09-24, 01:50 AM
Umm, headband of +2 untyped to all stats that doesn't take up a slot and repairs itself should it ever be damaged. My Gnome character befriended a god and became it's champion, and this was his main reward. The rest of the party doesn't know what it does yet and they're still freaked out by his sudden "conversion".

Quietus
2009-09-24, 02:02 AM
A stone hammer, which my elven cleric took to with gusto. We have a houserule that we get one "free proficiency", which I declared to be a natural ability with hammers; A rust monster had recently eaten my magic longsword.

Turns out that this hammer caused any golem it struck to immediately release its binding spirit and go into berserk mode, attacking anything nearby. Combine with light armor, decent dex, and some good Hide rolls to effectively solo a room of golems, causing a ruckus that drew the dungeon's vampire master out... we (me and my druid companion, and his brown bear pet) used Hide from Undead and Spider Climb to hang invisibly from the ceiling, let him walk past, and ganked him from behind with every single high level undead-wrecking spell we could get our hands on. He misted in two rounds, with our sunbeams/searing lights/berserking golems.

Mongoose87
2009-09-24, 02:07 AM
During our summer campaign, my DM gave my Vampire Spawn Crusader a greatsword that healed him equal to damage done with it. Suddenly, that LA doesn't hurt as much.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-24, 02:12 AM
Custom ring of +30 Bluff, for a level 5 Beguiler, also items of permanent charm person (I gave them out as gifts, to my new slaves). We ended up skipping the quest (some fetch quest) in favor of turning a kingdom into my toy at level 5.

Killer Angel
2009-09-24, 02:15 AM
AD&D. Elven priest of Corellion, 2° lev.
The DM gave me an Helm of brilliance....

D&D 3.5. Human sorcerer, 7° lev.
a book with blank pages, that I can use to write spells on them, using such written spells as they were scrolls.
The book is magically connected to the “magic pool” of the Royal Academy of Magic, composed by 100 wizards and sorcerer of various levels. I don’t have to know the spell, to write the “scroll”: I choose a spell, and it writes by himself on the book.
The book can contain 15 total levels of spells in any combination… so I can write (for example) one 1° lev. Spell, three 3° lev. and one 5° lev… but the funny thing is that, once casted, the spell is gone, but the pages turn blank, ready to be written again.
I don't want even think to what could be the prize of this item. Practically, I have full access to ANY spell in the PH, for free, being limited only by the difficulties in casting spells of a too much higher level. I am the Schroedinger wizard sorcerer. :smallcool:

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-24, 02:20 AM
My DM had moments of real madness, but the first thing that comes in my mind was a knuckle of ham usable as a 2H weapon. Quite effectively, too.. but pieces went away at each blow so it had sort of a durability.

gdiddy
2009-09-24, 02:24 AM
Once, as king's rewards, a DM I was playing with gave to the party:

A Shield that when fighting on full defense and stationary, added full BaB to AC. It also made the character completely immune to knock back effects.

Two intelligent +2 courtblades that gave a +2 insight bonus to AC that were sisters and could only be used together.

A sword that added a character's Cha modifier to its AC or attacks and damage, depending on a command word.

My character got a plot of land perfect for raising "Masterbred" heavy warhorses. (+2 to every stat and +10 move speed.) And my character then got filthy rich selling the damn things.

Dr. Lagrangian
2009-09-24, 02:36 AM
our first campaign (2nd ed) by a bad dm (he had the friend player) had:
--the boots of running really fast (like really fast)
--the repeating crossbow, crossbow, crossbow... (mnigun)

--a solid cubic foot of mythril (that we bought an entire auction with)
--a bag of infinite gold (illusionary, the remaining mythril and gold were stolen in the night by a undetectable theif that didn't steal our other powerful loot or wake us)

--rings of Captain Planet (I got earth ... and I wrote my name on the moon, sorta).

The rings summoned the DMPC wizard/railroad conductor (kinda like an elminster)
until it didn't work anymore.... eventually it turned out the wizard was playing us, and when we got wise, he revealed that all the rings superpowers were actually illusory.

I got a vorpal sword (the only time it went off was against the uberdemon... but I was no chosen one)

oh and there was the sword of destiny, that he drew with a computer program in 3D. It was too heavy for anyone but the DM's friend to lift.. but the friend was a wizard. When the final battle started, the DM destroyed most of us, but we had to use the sword. I (the fighter) couldn't use it, so the wizard did... and promptly missed everything and got killed. To make up for it, he brought his other DMPC back into the fight, ad she took the sword and killed the demon.

That last DMPC? it was a elvin spellblade (a custom class) of much higher level than us, and much more awesome than us. and it was a woman who had a habit of hitting on another particular player's character... guess which one.

oh, and in the end the entire campaign turned into time travel.... something blew up, led us to go after the demon, we found it in a portal, and blew him up. I think we indirectly gave the magic sword to our younger selves too.

Draz74
2009-09-24, 02:43 AM
Hoooooooo boy.

The Watchful Eye: an amulet that always watched for danger, then tried its best to protect me therefrom. Meaning anytime any effect attacked me, the attack got interrupted by the amulet lashing out with a random effect. I don't remember the table of effects exactly, but suffice to say it was something along these lines:
1d6
1 - no effect, attack succeeds :smallfrown:
2 - attack blocked by force field
3 - attack reflected at attacker
4 - attack succeeds, but weapon used in attack is shattered (no save)
5 - attacker petrified (no save)
6 - attacker vaporized into a puff of steam (no save) :smalleek:

Helmet of Bonus Experience: permanently bestowed 22,000 XP (or the equivalent number; this was in 2E) when placed on head, then vanished.

Demigod Ferrets: ok, they weren't items so much as cohorts. But the point is, there were two of them, they came loyally under the control of my character, and they were each under a constant Shapechange effect. :smalleek:

taltamir
2009-09-24, 03:23 AM
+1 flaming longsword that gives the wearer 20 fire resistance. Oh, and it's cursed, due to someone killing a god with it at some point, and once you pick it up, you can't use any other weapon. Oh, and it casts fireball using the wearer's level, on the wearer, whenever he rolls a 1...so eventually, as the wearer grows stronger, the power of the sword will inevitably consume him, to say nothing of everyone around him.

In a 5th level 10 person party in which we were going up against a nasty blizzard type setting, everyone was real defensively specced and couldn't do crap for damage, and it was about the only magic item we had...still, it was so, so frustrating watching the paladin drop/kill party members left and right with that thing without a hint of remorse, and I just couldn't get anyone to see any real downside to it, ICly or OOCly...1 in 20 means every 10-15 combat rounds it goes *boom*, not one in a million...

*sigh* Lovely campaign, awesome flavor, and I guess a lot of his magic items were like that, with the hidden cost/flavor and what not, but very frustrating.

multiclass to get fire immunity :).
But your team mates are still dying all around you. So either ditch it or split up and play a new character.

Killer Angel
2009-09-24, 03:27 AM
+1 flaming longsword that gives the wearer 20 fire resistance. Oh, and it's cursed, due to someone killing a god with it at some point, and once you pick it up, you can't use any other weapon. Oh, and it casts fireball using the wearer's level, on the wearer, whenever he rolls a 1

20 fire resistance helps.
It's a cursed item, but definitely not so bad, it's useable. And if you roll a 1 in the middle of the enemies' line...

Radiun
2009-09-24, 03:36 AM
An item discussed but not implemented.

Snide Whiplash, an NE intelligent whip with 10 wisdom, 14 charisma, and 14 intelligence who can talk
It has 10 ranks in Bluff and Knowledge (Local) and has the special purpose of slaying constructs and is very vocal and forceful on the subject, but doesn't wish to fight anything else. Has 20 ego

Is a +1 Keen, Merciful, Throwing, Returning, Collision, Eager, Skillful Whip
Collision: +5 damage
Eager: Draw as a free action
Thrown 10 feet and returns to the square it was thrown from
Skillful: All can use it without feat
Stats
Damage (S/M): 1d2/1d3 +6 (+1 weapon, collision) +1d6 (Merciful) subdual slashing
Threat Range: 19-20 / X2

There you have it, the worst +10 intelligent weapon ever

Note that whips just... don't damage things with armor, like constructs

Ashtar
2009-09-24, 03:44 AM
When I was the DM of a Dark Sun campaign, one of my players obtained a Ring of partial reality from a meddling trickster character known as the Chaos dealer.

Ring of partial reality:
Powers:
- 3/day Limited Wish
Limitations :
- Will twist wishes by adding unwanted side effects to the wish.
- Has a 33% chance of acting as a Ring of Delusion for each wish (DM rolled, which means I usually chose which wishes helped the plot).
- Cannot work against the chaos dealer or her agents.

Fitz
2009-09-24, 06:14 AM
old groups first 3rd ed game, my level 4 paladin got +1 full plate that gave +2 untyped cha bonus and heal on himself 1/day as a free action, usable at any time.
Took about 3 levels to start countering that one item.
Fitz

Samb
2009-09-24, 06:32 AM
Short sword +4 with the following enhancements: power storing (with HET on it), vicious, lucky, psychokintic burst.

anoth DM gave me a psicrown that had every "energy" power and PP pool that refilled itself everyday.

Heliomance
2009-09-24, 06:45 AM
An Orcish Doubleaxe which 1/day could at command turn into ay other weapon, up to and including a ballista.

Flying Dutchman
2009-09-24, 06:59 AM
In the campagin i was in last school year the DM handed each player items that leveld up with us.

our hexblade got a +3 longsword that was treated as "defending". and also passivly boosted his AC. It also had the mind an an angel trapped in it. Which was funny because the DM also gave him +3 plate armour with a demon trapped in it. So he had some mental issues after that.

Our Healer got a stone that could, entangling roots people, dispell magic in AOE, and give boosts to heal checks and raised his will save by 3.

I as a wizard got a ring, that added +1 to my effective caster level, as well as letting me raise the save DC of one of my spells by +4. which he may have regreted when i disentigrated, the solo mob in one of our last battles on the first turn.

Our swordsage got a crazy cape that have him i think it was +4 agi, and an extea boost to reflex saves as well as bounus MS. but i don't remeber exactly what it did.

dentrag2
2009-09-24, 07:07 AM
Hah, i remember randomly rolling a longsword that ended up with ten properties. It was something like Vorpal Firey Shocking Icy Icy Burst Shocking Burst Firey burst, Mighty Cleaving, Throwing, and that was before it became an INTELLIGENT ITEM. It blinded our wizard for a round when he cast Detect Magic on it.

And this is in the campaign i was playing as a were-spider in.

Ernir
2009-09-24, 07:10 AM
I gave my players absurdly powerful stuff, and don't tell them about it.

My players stay out:
One of my groups is carrying a gemstone that serves as shackles for a greater deity. They know that is what it is, what they don't seem to have realized is that they could be communicating with the god, and that they are in a premium bargaining position.

In another group, one of the players wrote it into his back story that he was deluded into thinking that he used to own a "Burning Greatsword of Evisceration", but it was turned into a butter knife. A butter knife he now carries at all times.
I decided that he is actually right, the thing he has in his pack is a Flaming, Vorpal Greatsword +1, permanently enchanted to look and feel like a butter knife. If someone ever nukes him with a lucky enough Dispel Magic, its true nature will once again be revealed.
He is level 4.

The craziest thing I have gotten from my DMs is probably a Bag of Tricks. :smallfrown:

Assassin89
2009-09-24, 07:11 AM
In the campaign last year, several people got interesting items.

I once found something called the Book of the warlord in one adventure. It gave whoever read it the leadership feat, max ranks in knowledge: history, the ability to remove fear once per day. If I had the leadership feat before reading it I would have gained a +4 inherent bonus to one stat.

The psychic warrior once received an intelligent bastard sword that had continual deathwatch, telepathy, detect evil, and the ability to craft illusions. How is the sword? Let just say its weapon type says it all.

Dr. Lagrangian
2009-09-24, 07:21 AM
I have more!

in one campaign (might be based on balder's gate, but I never played it), the party was somehow related to an evil god and we all got super crazy powerful rings. being an evil god, our rings would do good stuff for us, but harm our party members later. None of us knew what the rings did.

All we knew was:
1) to activate our ring, we just go to the dm and say we activate it, he knows what happens
2)whenever someone activates a ring, something bad will happen.

I was a sorc. my ring would:
Double any damage I did, but the extra damage would later be dealt to my teammates (this happened randomly, a hit would go through that would have missed, a sve would fail, etc). I used it a lot.

The barbarian got a ring that: would halve any damage, but give it to us

The rogue could avoid any attack, but then one of our misses would hit.

the paladin never used his... someting about saves maybe?

Anyway, in the big finale, we all used our rings a lot.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-24, 07:22 AM
My players stay out
Awwww!!!

(I didn't think of the fact that when I quoted this, the spoilered material would be in the quote. I saw enough of the first paragraph to realize it wasn't our group, so that should be ok, heh. Sorry bout that!

That Gelatinous Cube definitely had me second-guessing selling that Necklace of Fireballs...)

Korivan
2009-09-24, 07:53 AM
Like said before, Deck of Many Things. Especially when the DM lets the player hold on the cards and draw whenever they want.

Rings of Wishing as a starting magical item (only at times when we had a DM that made wish worth it, others made wish the worst spell in game)

Magical mounts at first level. One guy wanted a warhorse for is mount, DM made a list, picked at random, gave him a nightmare...then it dragged his character to the nine hells. I had a flying type of paladin in 2nd edition, I asked for a griffin or a hypogriff, thinking those wern't too powerfull, I got a mature gold dragon. Completely wreaked encounters.

Rhiannon87
2009-09-24, 08:04 AM
This item isn't overpowered, but it's definitely the best item I've ever gotten as a reward.

It is a chest of average size and appearance. The chest has a false bottom. Removing the false bottom reveals a narrow flight of stairs. At the bottom of the stairs is a door, and behind the door is a 15x15x15 room. If you put stuff in this room, the chest will sort it-- books on bookshelves (and alphabetized!), weapons on racks, money sorted into treasure chests, dead party members into meat lockers, etc. All of which is cool.

But then we learned that, if you speak the correct command words, a new door will appear. Inside this door is a room with a strange set-up of rings, chains, and levers; long story short, you put on a ring and pull a lever, and you're transported to a very similar looking room. In Sigil. In the basement of a shack that is guarded by an adamantine golem wielding starmetal weapons that recognizes you as the owners and requests that you leave the rotting body parts of attempted invaders in the room with it because it likes the aesthetic.

So, yeah. There's that.

Golden-Esque
2009-09-24, 08:20 AM
Not so much overpowered as it was amusing, our DM gave us an enchanted Trident that had the Returning Property at roughly second level. It was meant to be a plot device, as whomever touched the trident got a flashback of every single memory the Trident had; you see, the Trident kept a personal memory of all the horrible things it had done, from murdering lovers, to best friends, to families of the wielder.

Whenever the trident was thrown, you had to make a Will save or be forced to throw it at something (even if it's a friend) next round. Rolling a Natural 1 sent you into a beserker rage where you attempted to kill everyone.

The item was meant to go to our Aquatic Elf ranger, but we got into a huge fight between the party, and our Paladin of Slaughter (Evil Party, lol) got a hold of it. Of course, she rolled a natural 20 on the Will save and got rid of the thing, but anyone else who touched it had a gollum-like need for it; I'm assuming because since the trident "ate" misery, it made you feel good to throw it.

Anyway, hilarity ensued when our Kinetics Psion used his powers to fling the trident out of the ranger's hands when he went beserk; the Trident's powers were also rooted in psionics, so it established a mental link with our psion, and all of a sudden, our poor Aquatic Elf lost his story!

Best magic item EVER.

Kelunas
2009-09-24, 08:29 AM
This DM lived for ridiculous items...

Level 8:
My "enhanced" familiar... Bunny Rabbit, Undead Zombie, Breath Weapon 4d4 Cold, 2 Eye Rays Disintegrate, when slain, rises from it's ashes like a pheonix and is fully restored with no penalty. He had this nervous twitch in his neck which gave a 1/3 chance of his rays and breath going off target... I named him "Twitchy"

Level 10:
Tome of Max HP... all hit dice rolls for hit points are maximized.

Level 15:
Scroll of Zin-Carla, (yeah like in Drizzt) animate any dead as uber-powerful zombie that is loyal as long as I concentrate... used it on a Hecatoncheires (that epic level thing with 100 greatswords)

Level 15:
Armor of Legacy, made using "god-metal", Full plate AC 10, +5 Enh, Indestructible, Undispellable, Polymorph Self at Will, 1/Day Haste, Bonus Feat Corrupt Spell

Level 18:
Scroll of Vengeful Gaze of the Gods (305d6 damage... used a Miracle to maximize it)

vollmond
2009-09-24, 08:33 AM
At the beginning of our current campaign, our quest-giver gave each party member a magical weapon.

My Druid/Ranger got a Holy Flaming Splitting Elvencraft Energy Bow (with the holy/flaming buffs also applying in quarterstaff mode...)

The Fighter got a +5 Flaming Speed Vorpal Bastard Sword.

Rogue received a +3 Flaming Speed Vorpal Short Sword and a +3 Defending Flaming Spell Storing Wounding Dagger.

Our Monk/Cleric got an Amulet of Mighty Fists and an Amulet of Natural Armor, re-fluffed as two parts of a whole: when worn together, they also grant +3 to Strength bonus.

All the items were also automatically Item Familiars.

Did I mention we were level 9 at the time? We're still recovering from the huge damage/WBL boost we got, though the new weapons are definitely a lot of fun :-) At his first opportunity, the Rogue boosted his items' sapience, so now we have 3x the wisecracks from that side of the table during each encounter...

If any of my group is reading: hi!! *waves madly*

meet shield
2009-09-24, 09:07 AM
I once play a campaign where we were on the loser side of a civil war.
In our party of 5, we had one fighter that totally get mad when making his character (str 12...) in order to fight with two greatsword. I suppose he hit one or two times IN THE CAMPAIGN. the we had a fighter and a cleric once again pretty useless and then there were us.
The fifth was called Kish, was an outsider with a big hammer and two plate armors. Man, he was a butcher.
Then there was me: a warmage-fighter-spellsword. Pretty useless since I can only blast you think? men, with strategy and charisma, I guided the losers' army to victory and the enemies to oblivion. Burning oblivion.

Of course, the Dm wasn't so happy about the situation. So, when some artifacts of unidentificated origin start to pop around (as the Rune of Twilight, or the Sword of Night(they sound better in italian, tought)) he also start to give ones to the worse character.
he ended up with:
the Sword of Day, a +9 sword that give the wielder a RD 35.
the Rune of Dawn, an object that give him various SLA
and a belt that DOUBLED his strenght, dexterity and Constituion SCORES (not bonus, scores)
AND STILL HE WAS USELESS!

Keshay
2009-09-24, 09:18 AM
Not necessarily overpowered, but at lvl 6 our party was given Wings of Flying. Usually my Illusionist wore them, but when needed we'd just trade out and have the Half-Orc Barb put them on to fly us all over whatever was put in out path (25 Str 1/2 Orc carrying a Gnome and 2 elves would be a funny sight.)

Raging river with the only bridge guarded by rabid wererats? No problem.
Trapped floor ala Indiana Jones? No problem.
Impassable ravine with crocodiles at the bottom? No problem.

We just quit running into that sort of thing eventually.

kestrel404
2009-09-24, 09:36 AM
In a homebrew campaign designed by the GM, the character's 'level' (a designation that basically he used to determine how powerful the enemies he sent against you should be') was determined by his damage/round (be it from a spell or a melee weapon attack). So you could change 'level' by picking up a different weapon, since level didn't really count for much.

My character found a magic sword that did damage based on my current level. The higher my level, the more the damage (basically, you add the square root of your level to the weapon as a plus to damge). My character's specialty was swinging a sword lots of times in a single round. I snatched up the weapon. We then got out the graphing calculators to determine what level my character was (and therefore how much damage, and therefore what level...) while wielding the weapon. After a half hour of five college students doing math proofs, I went from level 5 to level ~400. The sword was taken away in the next combat, as the BBEG noticed that I was several orders of magnitude more dangerous than I should be.

Dracons
2009-09-24, 09:54 AM
Once as a DM, I gave my six players weapons who enhancment bonus was equal to their levels. That could change to any enhacnments, at will as a free action.

Yeah.... At level 20, having trouble against balor? +12 Holy, Acidic blah blah sword. Or a different minor goblin, their favorite was to have every enhancment possible, so Acidic, Firey, Icy, Sonic, Electric, Holy, Unholy, Anaracic, Axomatic greatswords... = dead goblin.

Yukitsu
2009-09-24, 12:26 PM
Intelligent holy avenger, with a ton of intelligent magic item abilities boosting its cost to 4 mill, almost all of them redundant to my own class abilities. It's also a plot device that only I can wield.

I suspect I got it to prevent me from getting my proper wealth by level by insuring I never got another share of treasure ever again as a stealth nerf to prevent me from getting better gear.

TelemontTanthul
2009-09-24, 12:31 PM
As a DM, I accidentally gave my party a solid gold sarcophagus. I figured that it would be far too heavy for them to move. But unfortunately, I forgot that one of the PC's was a Warforged Charger (don't ask.) AND that the party had come to possess a Portable Hole.

Obviously, they had the giant robot man push the Sarcophagus into the glowing alter-dimensional hole.

The profit netted for the Sarcophagus was approximately 800k gold.

BIG MISTAKE...

Yukitsu
2009-09-24, 12:35 PM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. One of my characters is heavily optimized to bypass locked and trapped doors, so the DM made a heavily enchanted door to try and trip me up. We simply disintegrated the wall along side it, and took the door, which was worth a cool 2 million.

Talya
2009-09-24, 12:38 PM
I have an incredible item to talk about here, but...I can't. It's just...it entirely qualifies under the point of this thread, but it's so wacky-different that...no. Besides, I'm fairly sure there's no way to properly describe it without violating a board rule or two.

gdiddy
2009-09-24, 12:44 PM
I have an incredible item to talk about here, but...I can't. It's just...it entirely qualifies under the point of this thread, but it's so wacky-different that...no. Besides, I'm fairly sure there's no way to properly describe it without violating a board rule or two.

You're being a tease.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-24, 12:45 PM
Freeform:

Squirrel brain on a string.

As a backup weapon. To kill robot dragons. (Don't Ask)

It must become a Munchkin card.

Talya
2009-09-24, 12:50 PM
You're being a tease.

Technically, yes. You have no idea how incredibly true, actually, though unintentionally.

Eldariel
2009-09-24, 12:57 PM
Technically, yes. You have no idea how incredibly true, actually, though unintentionally.

You do realize you are right now burying yourself for years to come in PMed requests for the description; there's just no way to let that kind of a description lie.

Yukitsu
2009-09-24, 12:57 PM
Is this anything like the weapon Hatchet Harry uses in Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels?

For those of you who haven't seen the movie, no, it's not a hatchet.

Choco
2009-09-24, 01:10 PM
I was able to buy a bag'o'nightsticks...

Also, 200k gold worth of loot for my lvl 7 barbarian.

Meek
2009-09-24, 01:31 PM
A hat that turns my character into an attractive little girl for all manner of awkwardness and fun. It could also turn my character into a hawk. For all manner of awkwardness and fun.

Ernir
2009-09-24, 01:35 PM
I'm fairly sure there's no way to properly describe it without violating a board rule or two.

Is it sexual?

arguskos
2009-09-24, 01:40 PM
Is it sexual?
I'd guess... yes. :smalltongue:

Sipex
2009-09-24, 01:49 PM
I love giving each player a unique overpowered item like this.

Just so you know, 4th edition

Currently my group rogue has his father's +3 bastard (I think that's right, it's 1d10 one-handed) sword which can be wielded as as light blade (by him only) for purposes of rogue powers. It also gives him free proficiency with it and is upgradable through events and such. Also has a daily power which treats his next attack as though he has combat advantage against the enemy. As it upgrades it'll change and become better.

Our Warrior is just about to get her special item which is a Warhorse containing the soul of her dead lover, allowing her to communicate with it psychically. I have yet to stat it up and figure out it's bonuses but I was thinking of things like allowing the warrior to mark the nearest enemy (to her or the horse) as a minor action without needing to attack it as long as she's within 10 squares of the horse. I was also thinking of giving her immunity to combat advantage if she's riding the horse or adjacent to it.

Our wizard got a minor cool item (not his big story item) which is an experimental spell amplifier. The wizard declares his attack and has to say "I'm going to use the amplifier" before rolling then...well, stuff happens!
The amplifier has 20 lifetime hp, once those are gone it's gone, depending on what happens it loses anywhere from 1-5 hp. The wizard rolls two D10 die. The first one determines bonus to the attack and damage AutoMiss, -2, -1, +0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5, AutoCrit
The second one determines what the spell does.
Backfires and hits you, No Damage, Normal Spell, Adds +10 range, Becomes a close burst 20, Close blast 20, etc.

Talya
2009-09-24, 01:53 PM
You do realize you are right now burying yourself for years to come in PMed requests for the description; there's just no way to let that kind of a description lie.

Not so many yet as I thought I'd get.

Jastermereel
2009-09-24, 02:26 PM
My DM gave our party's druid, a notorious smoker of an unspecified weed, a...small rod of "stoned shape".

Once a week (or so, we weren't big on that detail), it could be used to create a random effect. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. One time, a group of cocatrices were ferried away on a rickety wooden rollercoaster; another time it clothed a gargantuan red dragon in a hawaiian shirt, causing him to lose a turn to shock and confusion.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-24, 03:11 PM
What crazy items have you gotten from your DM. Custom or otherwise, but something waaay stronger than what you probably should've had. Things that flatten encounters or such. Bonus points if the DM had no idea what they were giving you.

For example, about a year ago I played in a campaign where everyone got a custom magic item from the DM. I was a lv 1 Sorcerer, and a noble. So I requested my item be a signet ring. I got one hell of a ring. 3/day it could cast either Fireball, Lightning Bolt, or Icelance at my CL + 1. And had a permanent, lesser version of Foresight, always warning me of impending danger. I never let that ring off my finger. :smallbiggrin:

And for the DMs, are there any items you've given out that were way stronger than you thought?

Immovable Rod. It's quite literally game breaking if you have the slightest amount of creativity.

For example, I used it and a potion of water breathing at level 3 to solo an entire ship. Lock rod in place in front of ship, just below the water line. Watch as a hole gets torn lengthwise through the entire ship, then watch the DM frantically try to explain why said ship wouldn't be sinking.

It wouldn't even have been so devestating if he hadn't had them spot me in the water, resulting in everyone pouring up above decks.

At later levels, I've used them for utterly ridiculous escapes from everything, foundations for aerial buildings, or as components of rube goldbergesque superweapons.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-24, 03:32 PM
Wow... compared to some of these, I've got nothing, but here's the most overpowered this I've gotten:

A "Giant Meat Cleaver", two handed that dealt 1d10 damage, crit range 19/20 x3, simple weapon. Any humanoid it killed was raised as an undead for 1d6 turns.

Never got much use, sadly.

Keewatin
2009-09-24, 03:33 PM
Immovable Rod. It's quite literally game breaking if you have the slightest amount of creativity.

At later levels, I've used them for utterly ridiculous escapes from everything, foundations for aerial buildings, or as components of rube goldbergesque superweapons.

Can we please have an example of some of those superweapons?

I had my first Character a level 8/3 fighter barbarian murder about 3 generations of other party members while when constantly confused in a giant umberhulk laberynth and ending up with basicly 10 level 11 characters worth of magical equipment and still no way to pass a will save of DC 15 :smallconfused:

In my Current game we have some interesting items, My halfling druid has a pouch of magic stone, its a pouch of sling stones that holds 50 and any stone I put in it is treated as having magic stone cast on it which gets fun when I start slinging magic thunderstones at guards :D. The Cleric of moradin has a magic warhammer that can use a standard action to make a 15 foot cone of 1d8 sonic damage like sound burst but in a cone, its doesnt seem over powered but it is also a +2 weapon and he got it at level 2 :smallbiggrin:

sadi
2009-09-24, 03:45 PM
A +1 Spork, it did 1d2+1 dmg. And of course since it was magic it was used more than you'd think (In a 2nd ed game)

Kosjsjach
2009-09-24, 03:48 PM

:smallbiggrin: When I first got into D&D and I found this item in the book, my mind nearly exploded with the possibilities.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-24, 03:50 PM
Mmmm, let me see what I can recall. Obviously, stopping anything moving via those plus optional razor wire is dead simple. To get things moving, a portable hole is always fun. Getting someone literally stuck between an immovable object and an unstoppable force is great fun.

I believe they were mainly used to deal with any objection such as "you couldn't possibly handle the recoil of that". Provided it's got springs, and a way for firing it to engage the rod just before firing, you can fire a nearly arbitrarily large weapon without a problem. If you then add a swivel or ball mount around a rod, you have a means for a floating super-cannon. Now, obviously, this only works while stationary, but transportation can usually be accomplished via a bag of holding.

Also, and I haven't done this yet, but it should be possible to use a pair built into boots to let you walk in the sky just as you would on the ground.

Masaioh
2009-09-24, 03:52 PM
+1 Greatsword of Shock and Elemental Bane. At 2nd level as a barbarian, rolled randomly from the DMG. I then proceeded to kill a dire lion on my own.

Assassin89
2009-09-24, 03:57 PM
Two more items

The group also found an animated book that acts like a badger. It was once used against me without any effect, by the other members of the group, but the real damage was done in the interrogation of an NPC.

The Warforged healer found glasses of translation.

Guancyto
2009-09-24, 04:07 PM
+1 flaming longsword that gives the wearer 20 fire resistance. Oh, and it's cursed, due to someone killing a god with it at some point, and once you pick it up, you can't use any other weapon. Oh, and it casts fireball using the wearer's level, on the wearer, whenever he rolls a 1...so eventually, as the wearer grows stronger, the power of the sword will inevitably consume him, to say nothing of everyone around him.

I'm curious: was this rolling a 1 on his attack roll, or for anything at all?

Player: "I try to convince the Duke to aid us in our struggle."
DM: "Give me Diplomacy."
Player: *rolls a 1* "Oh God. Does this mean what I think it means?"
DM: *hiding a crazy grin* "Let's see, the throne room is... *starts determining dimensions*"
Player: "Noooooooo!"

Also, there was the one time the party was looting a long-dead wizard's abode; he had bound a ghost to keep the place clean, so when the party freed the spirit they got a pair of Ghost Touch Gloves (he used them for handling mops and scrub-brushes and the like). Very handy for a place full of incorporeals.

KellKheraptis
2009-09-24, 04:44 PM
3rd Ed it's a hard call, since usually it's something I make myself :P

But in second Ed, the most wicked one was a +5 Longsword of Speed (remember, in 2nd ed that meant you won initiative. Period. Even against gods) that also acted as a Ring of Wizardry 1-9, and gave a +2 to all stats. Stat boosters were BIG in 2nd Ed, let alone doubling slots. And it's just gravy that it's the non-aligned badass level of a holy reaver. This monster went to my level 21/25 Bladesinger (Wizard/Fighter), who was a grandmaster (remember weapon mastery levels?) in the longsword, and also an archmage :) OH! And if you made an attack roll against their AC, you could use your bladesong ability to bat away spells instead of just arrows and attacks. THAT was the broken part, since he specifically said ALL spells. He probably regretted it the first time I swatted a meteor swarm back at him :P

Fako
2009-09-24, 05:14 PM
I have a player who loves to play rogues, but doesn't really care for stealth outside of combat, so I gave him an item to promote a change in his play style.

He was a whisper gnome rogue, so I gave him a Conical Hat that gave him a +10 untyped bonus to pose as a lawn ornament. It also provided a small illusory patch of grass around his feet. He loved it, the other players thought it was too funny to object to it, so everything was good...

I just didn't expect him to use it so much...

He got the item as they were reaching a keep they were supposed to infiltrate to recover the king's sword (generic story, yes, but the group isn't too rp-heavy, so they went with it). He took a servant's entrance around the back, and snuck past most of the servers and guards. When he had a chance of getting caught, he'd put on the hat and just sit there, hoping they wouldn't think anything of the lawn ornament that just showed up...

I rolled a Sense Motive check for every single target... all were 1s or 2s...

He eventually made his way up to the Lord's personal armory on the 3rd floor, where the captain of the guard happened to be conversing with the Lord. So what does he do? He steps inside the room and puts on the cap...

(Side note: My players know that, while I try to be fair, I do punish for stupidity. It's rarely lethal, but often painful.)

I told him simply that the captain of the guard had been hearing complaints about a "possessed lawn ornament", and was truly pissed by the time he had reached the room... he got thrown out the window before he could react...

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-09-24, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. One of my characters is heavily optimized to bypass locked and trapped doors, so the DM made a heavily enchanted door to try and trip me up. We simply disintegrated the wall along side it, and took the door, which was worth a cool 2 million.

You win this thread. :smallbiggrin:

MammonAzrael
2009-09-24, 07:25 PM
Wow...That's some scary stuff.

I especially like KellKheraptis' sword. +2 to stats is intense in 2nd. I just hope you got to jump from 17 to 19 Str. :smalltongue: (I remember when I got a Ring of Str 19...such a huge freakin' boost).

and Talya, I'm really curious what this crazy item of yours is. :smallsmile:

Sharkman1231
2009-09-24, 07:33 PM
We once had a game where 5th lvl characters got epic items. My 5th lvl pally of tyranny got da Sword of Kas!!! Getting a +10 to str, really improves damage output. ;-)

woodenbandman
2009-09-24, 07:42 PM
For my players: I'm going to give a player a set of 7 katanas. Each will have a minor enhancement bonus with quirky effects when used in combination with each other.

MammonAzrael
2009-09-24, 07:45 PM
For my players: I'm going to give a player a set of 7 katanas. Each will have a minor enhancement bonus with quirky effects when used in combination with each other.

I hope he speaks only in rap and calls himself Killer Bee. :smallbiggrin:

Dracons
2009-09-24, 08:06 PM
In one of the few games where I was a player, the DM gave his boyfriend an immoveble rod that was cursed with a enternal grease spell.

The DMPCs and the character loved it. Alot. We hated it, even though we never saw it in character.

Masaioh
2009-09-24, 09:33 PM
I hope he speaks only in rap and calls himself Killer Bee. :smallbiggrin:

I hope I'm not the only one here that gets this reference.

Rhiannon87
2009-09-24, 09:41 PM
In one of the few games where I was a player, the DM gave his boyfriend an immoveble rod that was cursed with a enternal grease spell.

The DMPCs and the character loved it. Alot. We hated it, even though we never saw it in character.

LOL. I'm gonna have to keep that one in mind for 'awkward items to find while looting the villain's hideout'.