PDA

View Full Version : 1,001 Curses [3.5]

gdiddy
2009-09-24, 03:28 AM
A staple in my games is the humble, third level spell, non-game-breaking Bestow Curse. I was trained by a DM who has been playing since 2e, and famously gave about 30% of the items in his world curses. I give about 10% curses.

The thing is, while it is a crunchy spell, Bestow Curse also has a creative element that makes it possibly the most useful single target spell for its level.

Of course, the indicated -6 Ability score, -4 to all rolls and AC, or 50% chance of no action are great in themselves, but it's when we get creative that the spell shines.

Some I've seen used:

1. Withered Limb (ruins any martial character's day)
2. Infertile (RPers delight)
3. Cloth that touches target feels like fire (Shenanigans! Target is either Nauseated or cannot wear clothes.)
3a. There are a dozen further variations that keep your target unarmored and disrobed.
4. A whole race is invisible to target (Your human/elf/dwarf/black dragon friends rejoice.)
5. Spiders come out of the targets mouth instead of words. (Spiders are not good Verbal components)
6. Age someone a category up (Do not do this to a caster.)
6a. Age a character down a category.
7. Make the target's son destined to kill him.
8. Gender Switch (A violent, painful, and emotionally jarring process that will *at the least* make the target's armor no longer fit.)
9. Target loses a feat of caster's choice.
10. Any magical weapons held in the target's hands lose their powers. (They function normally when he puts them down.)
11. Target forgets how to read or write.
12. Target can only speak in an obscure dialect of Ignan.
13. Target perceives everything as if in a nightmare.
14. Target's left eyeball becomes permanently cross-eyed.
15. Any food the target touches rots.
16. The target loses its reflection.
17. The target get's chicken feet. (Painful if they're in boots)
18. The target is deaf and blind. (Save or Suck?)
19. The male target loses its male organs. (Violently.)
20. A living creature touching the target's skin leaves large black spots on its skin for a month. Prolonged touching results in open sores. Calculate damage accordingly. These wounds can only be healed magically.
21. Target develops the desire to mate with Gnomes.
22. Target develops the desire to mate with Red Great Wyrms.
23. Target's next level is in Commoner.
24. Target cannot take any actions, but instead enters a peaceful slumber, for the entirety of any Monday.
25. The only words the target can speak are in the Dark Speech.

How about some more ideas?

taltamir
2009-09-24, 03:57 AM
many of those effects seem to be an overpowered geas. or otherwise beyond what the spell should probably do.

but they are certainly COOL effects.

Being the parent of some half dragons and having a friendly great wyrm is hardly a curse ... Forget slaying dragons, I wanna lay some dragons

Temet Nosce
2009-09-24, 04:03 AM
A staple in my games is the humble, third level spell, non-game-breaking Bestow Curse. I was trained by a DM who has been playing since 2e, and famously gave about 30% of the items in his world curses. I give about 10% curses.

The thing is, while it is a crunchy spell, Bestow Curse also has a creative element that makes it possibly the most useful single target spell for its level.

Of course, the indicated -6 Ability score, -4 to all rolls and AC, or 50% chance of no action are great in themselves, but it's when we get creative that the spell shines.

Some of your other ideas were good, but I would be torn between wanting to quit in disgust and turning it into a war on a DM who just gave me an item which screwed me up mechanically. Curses are a fun part of D&D, and some of my DMs have used awesome ones (alignment changes, possessions, transformations, odd desires, addictions, geas...) however if you're using them just to hurt your players I personally would not expect a happy response, or for it to add anything to the game except irritation or anger at you.

Now keep in mind this is from someone who actually likes curses. I regularly let my characters get cursed when I could have prevented it with relative ease (I have even on occasion collaborated with my DM OOC to come up with ways to curse my characters), simply because I enjoy the added dimension to the game, but purely mechanical curses drain absolutely all pleasure from it since they fail to add another dimension to the game in favor of simply hurting the character and turning it into just another combat. Can it work anyways? Sure I suppose, but be aware your players are going to check every item they get for curses, and may just break the WBL IC and buy all their stuff instead to avoid it (that would be what I'd probably default to, since I dislike dealing with the aggravation).

horngeek
2009-09-24, 04:06 AM
Here's a good one:

Get turned into that which you detest/feel contempt for.

So, a Sexist would be GB'd, Redcloak would be turned into a human...

The transformation would also be quite painful. :smallamused:

Really, I'd only use a curse for a plot reason.

Set
2009-09-24, 06:06 AM
1) Aura of Obnoxiousness - all NPC encounters react to you one step worse on the table. You annoy *everyone.*

2) Nummy Treat - monsters with bite attacks given a choice between attacking you or someone else will always choose you. Once a monster has bitten you, it will continue making bite attacks on you whenever given the opportunity, because you taste so darn good. (Within reason. A creature that has decided to flee will retreat, rather than risk death for a last bite.)

3) Damage Magnet - any melee attack made on a target within reach of you that misses it's intended target has a 50% chance of hitting you instead. This includes your own attacks. Missile attacks that miss anyone within 5 ft. of you also have a 50% chance of hitting you instead.

4) Tomb-Touched Soul - you are unusually resistant to positive energy, and are required to make a saving throw against all healing spells or receive only half of the benefit. Regardless of your character level / HD, you only recover a single hit point of natural healing overnight (two with a day's bed rest or the care of a competent healer). You are damaged normally by negative energy.

5) Allergic to Magic - for every spell cast upon you, you gain a Sickened Condition that lasts as long as the spell is upon you. Unlike the normal Sickened condition, the penalties from these conditions stack (and will stack with any actual Sickened condition received through other means). The Curse itself does *not* count as a spell for these purposes.

6) Master of Misfires - you have a 50% spell failure chance. This affects all spells, arcane or divine, and stacks with other sources of spell failure (such as arcane spell failure for wearing armor). Roll 1d20 whenever you cast a spell. On a 1-10, the spell has no effect, but the spell (or spell slot) is discharged and used up, as if the spell had been cast.

7) Corrosive Touch - your sweat becomes acidic, inflicting 1 hit point of damage per minute to items worn, held or carried. This damage bypasses item hardness. The damage does not apply to items that you are not wearing, carrying or holding in your hands. Putting your hand on a door will not affect it, but if you are somehow able to lift the door off of the ground in your hands, your acidic sweat will begin to damage it. One type of item (feathers are a popular choice, for some inexplicable reason), named by the caster, will not be affected by this acid, and any item that is explicitly part of a class feature (such as a Kensai's weapon or a Wizard's spellbook, will be unaffected).

robgrayert
2009-09-24, 11:21 AM
Great ideas, but most of these seem too powerful for Bestow Curse. They might be better thrown on top of a tasty item as a drawback.

Personally, I like curses that are more roleplay- rather than mechanics-based. Like:

- character must always lie (as in, not tell the truth, not lay down!) while in possession of this item
- character may only speak in monosyllabic words

etc.

tyckspoon
2009-09-24, 11:27 AM
Great ideas, but most of these seem too powerful for Bestow Curse. They might be better thrown on top of a tasty item as a drawback.

Really.. most of them are *less* powerful than the default options. It's actually pretty hard to think of something that sucks worse than a 50% chance to do nothing, every round of of the rest of your life.

Xenogears
2009-09-24, 11:28 AM
Being the parent of some half dragons and having a friendly great wyrm is hardly a curse ... Forget slaying dragons, I wanna lay some dragons

But who says the dragons will want a puny human like you. So its a curse because now your just gonna run around trying to get red dragons to sleep with you and then get firebreath to the face...

Faleldir
2009-09-24, 11:37 AM
Isn't it impossible to force someone to speak Dark Speech?

Xenogears
2009-09-24, 11:39 AM

yes. The pronounciations are so exacting that it is only possible to speak them willingly (which is wierd seeing as though forcing someone to speak in a language of pure evil that actually corrupts objects would be awesome, but it was probably included for game balance and simplicity.

gdiddy
2009-09-24, 12:22 PM
Primarily, these are things my players have come up with for Bestow Curse. I would never subject a player to one of these curses without at least giving them a chance to identify the item. Most of these were from a Drow Cleric who I mistakenly gave a meta magic rod that made Touch Spells Close-ranged. The player was a really devious woman and amazing role player, so whatever she came up with was always fitting and helped the narrative. Heavy use of Bestow Curse and Greater Bestow Curse could conceivably ruin many games. I just think it's a great spell because of its rp potential. I like some of Set's ideas.

As someone already mentioned...none of these really match the enumerated penalty of taking away half a person's life.

Edit: The Dark Speech was mispronounced, and didn't give the usual penalties, but it did get the Paladin kicked out of his order (which the player wanted).

Xenogears
2009-09-24, 12:23 PM
Primarily, these are things my players have come up with for Bestow Curse. I would never subject a player to one of these curses without at least giving them a chance to identify the item. Most of these were from a Drow Cleric who I mistakenly gave a meta magic rod that made Touch Spells Close-ranged. The player was a really devious woman and amazing role player, so whatever she came up with was always fitting and helped the narrative. Heavy use of Bestow Curse and Greater Bestow Curse could conceivably ruin many games. I just think it's a great spell because of its rp potential. I like some of Set's ideas.

As someone already mentioned...none of these really match the enumerated penalty of taking away half a person's life.

Or the bestow greater curses 75% chance to do nothing...

taltamir
2009-09-24, 01:46 PM
2) Nummy Treat - monsters with bite attacks given a choice between attacking you or someone else will always choose you. Once a monster has bitten you, it will continue making bite attacks on you whenever given the opportunity, because you taste so darn good. (Within reason. A creature that has decided to flee will retreat, rather than risk death for a last bite.)

OH god that is awesome! wow you taste delicious!

Although, can also be a source of cursed with awesome... find a hot and friendly vampire of the preferred gender. She is your new girlfriend.

chiasaur11
2009-09-24, 01:49 PM
Your head is on fire.

You take a rather substantial penalty to concentration checks from the pain. Oddly, it never does any permanent damage.

Ravens_cry
2009-09-24, 02:13 PM
Your head is on fire.

You take a rather substantial penalty to concentration checks from the pain. Oddly, it never does any permanent damage.
Get yourself a gnomish steam driven two wheeled Cart of the Pig, Leather Armour, and show the world how awesome you are.

deuxhero
2009-09-24, 02:20 PM
Treat one skill (like say Profession:Farmer) as though the victim has no ranks in it.

taltamir
2009-09-24, 02:24 PM
Your head is on fire.

duplicate said curse... cast it on a bunch of hamsters... make a steam engine which is powered by the perpetual fire source...

Or release them all at once at an enemy / city / whatever.

Or duplicate it on the party grappler (he doesn't need to concentrate, he is now scary as hell, and everyone he grapples with takes damage).

Dixieboy
2009-09-24, 02:26 PM
Your head is on fire.

You also take a -10 penalty to disguise as well as hide checks and cannot gain concealment from darkness.
Why?
Because you HEAD IS ON FIRE.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-24, 02:29 PM
Your head is on fire.

You also gain an addiction to cocaine and a Dimension Door ability with a 15% chance to activate randomly on the beginning of your turn.

Nanana

Melamoto
2009-09-24, 02:30 PM
The Victim must hence
Forever speak in Haiku
No matter how hard.

Or, they can only talk in Iambic Pentameter.

taltamir
2009-09-24, 02:31 PM
The Victim must hence
Forever speak in Haiku
No matter how hard.

ok, that is the scariest curse i have ever heard... ugh... i could never do it.

chiasaur11
2009-09-24, 02:32 PM
The Victim must hence
Forever speak in Haiku
No matter how hard.

Limericks only. One out of every three has to be inconceivably crude.

Dixieboy
2009-09-24, 02:45 PM
There once was this guy named john.
Who thought the menacing sword looked fun.
It had a big curse.
But what was worse.
Was that john kinda sucked at limericks.

:/

Deth Muncher
2009-09-24, 03:10 PM
There once was this guy named john.
Who thought the menacing sword looked fun.
It had a big curse.
But what was worse.
Was that john kinda sucked at limericks.

:/

That made me laugh. It's kinda like the Yo Dawg: Yo dawg, I herd u liek makin' fun of me, so I put a bomb in yo' car.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-24, 03:23 PM
OH god that is awesome! wow you taste delicious!

Although, can also be a source of cursed with awesome... find a hot and friendly vampire of the preferred gender. She is your new girlfriend.

This is even more hilarious!

Hyozo
2009-09-24, 03:39 PM
I like this topic. Some of these curses will be showing up on items in my game.

Assassin89
2009-09-24, 03:39 PM
You are forced to act as if irresistible dance has been cast on you. In addition, you hear strange music. Not within the power level in its current state.

You are forced to sing constantly, even if said song would annoy everyone.

You are gifted with an owl wearing a vest and monocle. The owl does not help in any way, except warning you about danger when it is too late, and refusing to enter any place of importance.

Alternatively gain a pixie companion who annoys you by shouting "Hey! Listen!" every time it succeeds on a knowledge check. The pixie must stay within 2ft from you.

Myou
2009-09-24, 03:44 PM
You are forced to act as if irresistible dance has been cast on you. In addition, you hear strange music.

So you want to make Bestow Curse replicate an 8th level spell?

Cieyrin
2009-09-24, 03:56 PM
You must always carry a duck in at least one hand.

A chicken has taken roost on your head, preventing you from wearing hats.

Wearing pants draws ants to nest in them. (why isn't there a pants slot, now that I think about it? do characters normally go pantsless, since there's no benefit other than social implications? 0_o)

Your hair grows at abnormal rates, drawing birds to come nest in it.

Your nails grow at an abnormal rate and are brittle, making it difficult to manipulate objects with your hands.

You cry constantly, making everything you see blurry (20% miss chance).

You become anemic, causing you to bleed from any non-bludgeoning attack at a rate of 1 point of damage/round, which is cumulative with multiple wounds, that can only be stopped by magic healing.

You can only whisper. (In a similar vein, you can only shout or you lose your voice).

You lose all your hair.

I could continue but I'd need to dig out my Munchkin cards. :smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2009-09-24, 03:58 PM
So you want to make Bestow Curse replicate an 8th level spell?

Maybe if it has a DC13 will save once per day.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-24, 04:00 PM
Whatever happened to good old curses, like lycanthropy or vampirism?

Oh, right. They're diseases now. But couldn't you give somebody the oldschool version?

Myou
2009-09-24, 04:02 PM
Maybe if it has a DC13 will save once per day.

That doesn't actually make it any worse. It's an 8th level spell in a 3rd level slot.

Godskook
2009-09-24, 04:04 PM
Alternatively gain a pixie companion who annoys you by shouting "Hey! Listen!" every time it succeeds on a knowledge check. The pixie must stay within 2ft from you.

A good old Zelda 64.

Pigkappa
2009-09-24, 04:16 PM
Insomnia! Every time you want to go to sleep, you throw a d100. If your result is less than 30, you will be unable to sleep for the next 8 hours.
In addition, even if you can sleep, you have nightmares and that night won't be considered a good rest for the purpose of recovering lost stats, HPs, and so on.

ericgrau
2009-09-24, 04:24 PM
Subscribed to this thread for my future reference. I also submit an older, slightly less ambitious thread, to add to the list:
101 curses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120114)

chiasaur11
2009-09-24, 04:45 PM
Every song you hear is "All Along the Watchtower".

Jade_Tarem
2009-09-24, 05:03 PM

That's just sadistic. Although unlike in OoT, you would have the ability to smack the pixie every time it did that and yell "SHUT UP, NAVI!" That could be pretty cathartic.

The Limericks/Haikus thing made me laugh. I keep envisioning the following exchange:

Wizard -

"Haha! You are cursed,
to speak only in Haiku,
How about that, sir?"

Player -

"You think you're so smart,
with your fancy little words.
This isn't so hard!"
Stolen from Avatar

------------------------------------

The DM has hit me with a curse
to speak only in limerick verse.
But I'm quick - can you tell?
And annoying as well,
and I think that he's come off the worse. :smalltongue:

Pigkappa
2009-09-24, 05:07 PM
I think this one will be nice too.

Every time you want to lie while speaking, you have to make a Will save. If it fails, you will say the truth, and you won't realize what you have said until a few minutes have passed since the end of your speech (unless someone who is listening to you interrupts your speech and makes you notice what you just said; even in that case, however, you won't be able to lie about that matter).

chiasaur11
2009-09-24, 05:10 PM
I think this one will be nice too.

Every time you want to lie while speaking, you have to make a Will save. If it fails, you will say the truth, and you won't realize what you have said until a few minutes have passed since the end of your speech (unless someone who is listening to you interrupts your speech and makes you notice what you just said; even in that case, however, you won't be able to lie about that matter).

Or worse still, you'll take whatever actions needed to make the statement true.

gdiddy
2009-09-24, 05:30 PM
26. Target will die alone and can't stop thinking about it.
27. All metal in a 10 foot cone above target's head rusts at a rapid rate (roll chandelier damage accordingly).
28. Your scent is that of a (random common creature) in heat.
29. Target become obsessed with eating flesh. (But is not compulsed to do so!)
30. Target's clothes attempt a grapple check.
31. Target is convinced it is under the effects of a Fly spell.
32. Target forgets common.
33. Target's blood is actually a fine vintage of wine.
34. Target's face is locked as if the target is amidst an obscene burst of passion.
35. Target suffers from complete amnesia, (no mechanical change, but it may be confused where it is).
36. All buckles, ties, buttons, fastens, hooks, and clips on a target's worn armor and clothing have a fifty per cent chance unfasten any combat round.
37. Target's head shrinks to 25% it's original size.
38. On any melee attack, target treats a natural 20 as a 1.
39. Target get's paws instead of hands.
40. Target's legs are transposed with its arms.
41. Target communicates entirely by singing.
42. Target, if it is not focused at the task on hand, will begin grazing on grass and wander around.
43. Target perceives horses as Tarrasques and vice versa.
44. Target develops a fear of venereal disease.
45. Target dreams only of the caster doing BAD THINGS to its family and loved ones.
46. Caster rolls a d%, on <25, roll the Rod of Wonder chart.
47. Target can only speak in questions.
48. All natural and domesticated animals attack target on sight.
49. All beverages turn into dwarven spirits in the mouth of the target.
50. Target thinks everyone around them is naked, except for naked people.

Cieyrin
2009-09-24, 05:37 PM
You lose the ability to breathe air, as your new gills have taken over.

Whenever you move, you must skip, moving in 10 foot increments.

You lose all pigment in your hair, skin and eyes.

Whenever you move, you must hum traveling music.

You cannot flee combat or disengage with an opponent you're in melee with willingly.

You have an uncontrollable urge to taste everything you come across.

You speak only in puns and double entendres.

You become lactose intolerant.

chiasaur11
2009-09-24, 05:44 PM
49. All beverages turn into dwarven spirits in the mouth of the target.

Laddie, that nay bein' a curse, that be a blessin' from Thor himself.

Dixieboy
2009-09-24, 06:05 PM
50. Target thinks everyone around them is naked, except for naked people.Well, according to some "Animals are people too".

So...

Seriously though: What constitutes a "Person" in D&D?

Cieyrin
2009-09-24, 06:28 PM
Well, according to some "Animals are people too".

So...

People in D&D are generally Humanoids, sometimes also Monstrous Humanoids and Giants.

gdiddy
2009-09-24, 06:35 PM
Well, according to some "Animals are people too".

So...

When that curse was put on the mouthy and womanizing party rogue by his own fellow player, I had to make anything sentient wear clothes if it was normally naked. The character actually thought it was going mad when the party met a Gold dragon in king's robes the next session.

Karoht
2009-09-24, 08:53 PM
Target develops a horrible stutter. Might not realize that they are c-c-c-cursed.

Target develops an aura that repells the opposite sex for no decernable reason.

Target will now follow any one word command directed at target. Doesn't count if it's directed at a crowd, has to be said as the word by itself, can't just be in a sentence. Die is not an option. IE-"Go to sleep" would do nothing but "trip" would.

Target now develops an engrosing infatuation with (insert vice). Target will stare at vice until directed to do something else. Picture a vampire now engrosed by sunlight. Or the target perhaps is engrosed by their own reflection, so if they wander past a mirror, a body of water, or catch a glimpse of themselves in a shiney piece of armor or sword. Or to make it easy, just say shiney things.

Target now develops an addiction to any food, drink, herb, drug, or otherwise safely injested substance. Target could develop an addition to potions of cure light wounds, for instance. Follow standard addiction rules.

Target, casters only, develops and addiction to casting magic. Every so often they must make a will save or they will cast a spell from their list, directed at any or all possible targets nearby. For instance, if a spell specifies, can only be cast at living targets, then it might be cast on the party. On the other hand, if it had an area of effect, like fireball, it would be cast at the nearest area that would cause no harm to the caster or anyone else. Picture the wizard of the party suddenly casting burning hands on the nearest thatch hut. Namely, the one you and the rest of the party were standing in.

Target develops a random phobia or mania. Pyromania, for example. Kleptomania. Arachniphobia. Etc.

Target develops an itch that CAN NOT EVER EVER EVER BE SCRATCHED. It is always out of reach. If someone else tries to scratch it, the person always just seems to be a little too far to the left or right.

Target develops an incredibly increased libido, but any contact to 'relieve the need' by self or a member of the opposite sex causes severe pain.

SartheKobold
2009-09-24, 10:02 PM
Target develops compulsive need to check dice to see if he can perform an action. He must aquire a set of seven polyhedral dice and an ancient set of tomes known in elven as the Cor' Ryllbux to attempt any action other than free actions. <Effectively, make all checks twice>

Character begins to hallucinate that they are simply pawns in a giant game of the universe, and can begin to see the faint outlines of spectral monstrosities towering over the horizon, giant 20-sided metorites in their hands.

Wizards become enamoured with one of their 1st level spells, and unless they pass a Will save for each spell they wish to prepare, must prepare a 1st level spell in that slot.

Wizards become enamoured with their familiars... With sexy results...

Target develops a case of the chickens. Any time they draw a weapon, retrieve a stored item, or try to use spell components, there is a 50% <Or 75%> chance they draw a live chicken instead. The chicken is nonmagical, and not under any control. The chicken remains in the area, following the target unless immobilized or killed. For every chicken killed, multiply the next quequ of Chickens by 3. Chickens take up space as usual, and creatures occupying the same space as a chicken must make a DC15 Balance or DC15 Tumble check or fall prone. Each time a chicken would be produced, a new chicken is called, making the number of chickens available increase. If the chickens ever outnumber the target's hp, they attack! Chickens killed after they begin their assault will still multiply the next quequ! A calm animals spell cast on any number of chickens after the assault begins will cause them all to stop and stare menacingly at the target, imposing a -1 penalty on skill checks, attack rolls and saving throws for every 10 chickens. The next time a chicken would be called, the attack renews.

Target develops poultryphobia.

Target develops poultrymania... With sexy results...

Target develops an intense craving for Vouldawurst, a sausage that doesn't exist, and will hear nothing of the attempts to persuade him otherwise.

Target speaks internal monologues aloud, and can not comprehend that she is doing so. She may say personal, emberassing things thinking no one can hear her.

Target polymorphs into a whale at an inopportune moment. They cannot transform in an area that would not be able to contain them and anything else in the room, however, and the transformation cannot be useful in any way. If a use if found for their new whale body, they become the opposite of a whale for the duration of the plan, whatever the opposite of a whale is...

Target must title and shout any action that would end an invisibility spell in a shounen style... VOID-SPLITTING STRIKE OF THE NINETEEN UNIVERSES!!! (Longsword, +3 Melee)

Target constantly recieves telepathic messages from someone calling themselves 'Snake'. Snake asks about things in his environment, such as animals and camoflauge.

Target becomes haunted by Albion, the hypocondriac ghost.

When using any Cha-Based skills, the target develops the voice of Gilbert Godfried the Great, the ancient king of Aflack reknown for his sublime failures of oration.

Target grows goatee that won't go away, is constantly mistaken for an evil doppleganger version of themself.

Target believes they have gained the enlightenment of a monk and may add their Wisdom modifier to their AC when completely naked, but they are mistaken... With sexy results...

Target may only communicate through song titles and lyrics from the 1980s period of the mystic world of Terra.

Target uses GURPS rules instead of d20 rules.

I really don't care how wacky or unbalanced these are. These are just silly, entertaining curses...

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-24, 10:32 PM
(In a similar vein, you can only shout or you lose your voice).

In other words, turn the target into BRIAN BLESSED (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BRIANBLESSED)?

You lose all pigment in your hair, skin and eyes.

Now all they need is a sword of meteoric ore, a second, silver plated sword, skill with alchemy and they could go into the witcher business.

You speak only in puns and double entendres.

I can see this backfiring easily, but it would be oh-so-fun.

I've only got one idea, sadly:

Target is forced to overact as much and as frequently as possible (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LargeHam), even when not acting.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-09-25, 03:40 AM
Target develops an urge to destroy objects that they spend an unusual amount of time thinking about (ie. when not using, considering the use of, or interacting with some other way). Cast on collectors, artists, craftsmen, anyone with an ancestral weapon or the like.

Serpentine
2009-09-25, 05:13 AM
You become anemic, causing you to bleed from any non-bludgeoning attack at a rate of 1 point of damage/round, which is cumulative with multiple wounds, that can only be stopped by magic healing.I think you mean haemophiliac. Which could certainly work. Though bludgeoning attacks would still do extra damage (haemophiliacs are vulnerable to bruising).

Some of these are probably more Greater Bestow Curse, but from the worlds of fairy tales and psychology:

Target is obedient. They must do everything they're told, no matter what nor by whom, so long as the target understands them (or, perhaps, must make a will save for every thing they're told to do).

Target is vulnerable to pointy textile implements, falling under the effect of Sleep with a permanent duration.

Target only feels comfortable sleeping in very high places.

A member of target's family (immediate or extended) develops an overwhelming desire to kill/confine/financially destroy/"get with" target, and devotes most of their time and energy to this goal.

One or more of target's loved-ones are transformed into an animal. Target must create a garment for each of them in a certain time, or transformation is permanent.
- Target may not be able to talk for this duration, or may simply not be able to talk about this.

Target's lower parts transform into that of a serpent for one day a week. Target may or may not gain a constrict or similar advantages from the tail.

Target's loved-ones mistake him/her for a monster of some sort.

Target's arms become wings.

Target must wear a pot on his/her head.

Target becomes hideously deformed - for example, gains a hunched back or is covered in fur.

Target's elderly family members become particularly delicious to normal predators.

Target is unusually vulnerable to sleep effects from such items as combs, jewellery and fruit.

Target will always be designated the hardest, grubbiest, most annoying or otherwise least desirable tasks at hand, and is never invited to social gatherings.

When leaving home (or camp), target always becomes extremely lost, unless they have placed a trail of some kind.

Target is struck by an overwhelming curiosity about everything.

Target believes that ordinary animals (or one in particular) are dispensing important advice to him/her.

Target becomes incredibly greedy/bad-tempered/vain/randy/fond of food/jealous/lazy.

Target percieved everything like a surreal painting or an acid trip (or perhaps some other drug or art style).

Normal birds (and/or other animals) always think that target is after their young.

If the target wears a product of an animal (such as a bear skin cloak or sheep leather shoes), target increasingly begins acting like that animal.

Target can only speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
- or be struck by lightning.

Target can never take an enemy down to less than 1 hit point.

Target is haunted by ghosts who constantly remind him/her what a terrible person he/she is.

Target believes they are very very big, or very very small.

Target can see 5 seconds into the future, but cannot stop it (very distracting).

Target sees ghosts in all [item, such as musical instruments], and believes they must be avenged or otherwise placated.

Target believes he/she is clothed, when he/she is not - or vice-versa

Target has all the symptoms of being heavily pregnant (may or may not actually be so).

Target becomes intimately associated with some item in their possession. Should anyone obtain this item, they have control over them.

Target can hear what every single animal within a mile radius is saying.

Target is always wrong.

Target becomes very gullible.

Target is destined to kill his father and marry his mother (or her mother and her father, or other family members).

Target often feels the need to make outlandish boasts. These will inevitably be called out.

Everything target touches turns to gold (or similar).

Target constantly feels an uncomfortable temperature, opposite of the weather - freezing cold on a boiling hot day, and boiling hot on a freezing cold day. Target is mechanically effected by the actual temperature.

Target stinks horribly.

Target believes self to be incredibly ugly/beautiful.

Target believes self to be incredibly fat/thin.

Target is constantly depressed.

Target hears voices. They tell them to do things. Bad things.

Target becomes obsessive-compulsive.

Target becomes terrified of disease, dirt and germs.

Target loses their short- or long-term memory.

Target believes they were born the wrong sex/species.

Target becomes extremely highly strung.

Target becomes extremely paranoid.

Target loses their appetite, and has trouble keeping down food.

Target's circadian rhythm is disrupted, causing target to sleep by day and be awake by night.

Target becomes very sensitive to light, and/or sunburns very easily.

Target loses control of impulses (e.g. Tourette's).

Target gains the overwhelming urge to expose him/herself in public.

Target is constantly at the height at arousal.

Any touch causes target to "climax".

Target's mood changes abruptly and randomly between extremes.

Target becomes incapable of experiencing (or exhibiting) emotion.

Target feels compulsed to eat anything and everything (pica).

Target becomes terrified of social interaction.

Target becomes extremely hostile to authority figures.

Target develops a split personality.

Farlion
2009-09-25, 05:22 AM

Oh God! I just have to do this!

From this day forth you will be known as:

Roderick the dragon layer

Hilarious!

Cheers,
Farlion

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-25, 06:52 AM
Target believes that his/her spell components have just been polymorphed.
Target must replace one word they wish to speak with a random word chosen by the DM every third time the character would speak- this includes the verbal components for spells.
The skill points invested in one of the characters class skills are transferred to knowledge (country dancing) or craft (useless junk).

Glass Mouse
2009-09-25, 08:59 AM
Target develops a case of the chickens. Any time they draw a weapon, retrieve a stored item, or try to use spell components, there is a 50% <Or 75%> chance they draw a live chicken instead. The chicken is nonmagical, and not under any control. The chicken remains in the area, following the target unless immobilized or killed. For every chicken killed, multiply the next quequ of Chickens by 3. Chickens take up space as usual, and creatures occupying the same space as a chicken must make a DC15 Balance or DC15 Tumble check or fall prone. Each time a chicken would be produced, a new chicken is called, making the number of chickens available increase. If the chickens ever outnumber the target's hp, they attack! Chickens killed after they begin their assault will still multiply the next quequ! A calm animals spell cast on any number of chickens after the assault begins will cause them all to stop and stare menacingly at the target, imposing a -1 penalty on skill checks, attack rolls and saving throws for every 10 chickens. The next time a chicken would be called, the attack renews.

I... I... I'm lacking words. That is so completely absurd that I have to throw it at my players. Just the thought of forty angry chicken staring at you... lol :smallbiggrin:

A few ideas:

- Target develops a sudden and very strong hatred of their own race.

- Target realizes that the rest of the party are actually spies for the BBEG. Obviously, target can't speak up about this, so s/he will have to uncover evidence.

- Target becomes convinced that s/he has to drink a certain liquid regularly to stay alive. This may or may not be true (as far as the player know).

pendell
2009-09-25, 09:59 AM
For those fans of Star Control 2, target must speak only in Orzese.

The *campers* have beaten the *sad animal* dragon! We are gaining many *levels* for better *dancing*!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cieyrin
2009-09-25, 11:13 AM
I think you mean haemophiliac. Which could certainly work. Though bludgeoning attacks would still do extra damage (haemophiliacs are vulnerable to bruising).

Yeah, that's definitely what I meant.

It's like Chicken-Infested but with more stuff added to it.:smallbiggrin:

Set
2009-09-25, 11:33 AM
Your Rogue is cursed with permanant Faerie Fire. Everyone can see where he is...

Saph
2009-09-25, 01:56 PM
Target is obedient. They must do everything they're told, no matter what nor by whom, so long as the target understands them (or, perhaps, must make a will save for every thing they're told to do).

When leaving home (or camp), target always becomes extremely lost, unless they have placed a trail of some kind.

Target's circadian rhythm is disrupted, causing target to sleep by day and be awake by night.

I like these ones.

First one's from Ella Enchanted unless I miss my guess, second effectively makes you Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, and not sure where the third one comes from. :)

Cieyrin
2009-09-25, 02:05 PM
I like these ones.

First one's from Ella Enchanted unless I miss my guess, second effectively makes you Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, and not sure where the third one comes from. :)

I recognized the Ella Enchanted one, too! Kudos! *high five*:smallbiggrin:

flabort
2009-09-25, 03:40 PM
Hmmm...

Target is compelled to squeeze a random body part on every member of the oposite gender they see, even hostiles. may be leg, head, chest, or other places.

target thinks that clothes are actually monsters that are eating everyone, and is compelled to remove everyones clothes.

everyone can see everything the target eats inside of him. very gross indead.

target thinks that everyone of the oposite gender is out to kill him.

target has a constant headache that has a 10% chance of distracting him from any action.

target aplies romantic phrases to and must sing everything he/she says to someone of the SAME gender.

target sees everyone of the same gender naked, but thinks that everyone is opposite gender then they really are.

Probably, most of those arn't the best curses to give to, say, the PC belonging to a 5th grader... or anyone outside of your own agegroup.

Drogorn
2009-11-16, 12:40 PM

As the OP worded it, the curse doesn't force them to speak Dark Speech. It just makes them unable to speak anything else. :smallbiggrin:

I'd make the curse prevent improper pronunciation as well, myself.

Ormagoden
2009-11-16, 01:14 PM
Any time you open a book it latches onto your head and starts "chewing" dealing no real damage but preventing you from being able to read it.

There are always stinging bugs in your boots when you put them on.

Whenever you touch people or objects you always get a static shock.

Water tastes like vinegar.

Food taste like ash.

All spells you cast are incredibly flamboyant and sparkly making them easily seen from a great distance.

It itches, you know, down there...ALOT.

You always smell of something unsavory (rotten vegetation, blood, lard, uncooked fish)

You no longer have a reflection.

You have a 50% chance to drop anything you pick up when you first pick it up.

Chairs you sit in always break.

Moving fire or flowing streams hypnotize you.

Diseased street urchins are YOUR kind of people!

You pick up and carry any small rock or pebble you see.

Silverware, glasses, mugs, and plates are never clean when they are handed to you.

There is always a dead bug in your drink or food.

You always loose track of time or your sense of direction.

Your voice becomes shrill or hoarse.

You are a collector of couches, cabinets, great swords, wagons or other large cumbersome object. You can't stand parting with one.

There always seems to be a buzzing in your ear when other people are speaking.

You can't remember your real name, when friends insist on what it is you don't believe them.

You write in a strange language that only you can understand. No one else recognizes it and you can't write in any other language.

When you hear a song or story you know you must sing or repeat it in its entirety.

Whenever you speak you replace common words with the longest synonyms possible.

Your hands aren't clean enough, they're never clean enough.

Sunlight and bright light hurts your eyes.

You think all creatures are fluffy animals that just need a hug.

Something small and cute scares the living hell out of you. (bunnies? pixies?)

47. Target can only speak in questions.

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Zenos
2009-11-16, 02:22 PM
You see everything in a state of entropy, also hourglass pupils.

Everybody thinks you're a halfling or a gnome, if you're a dwarf, and everybody mistakes you for an orc if you're an elf and so on.

Haberdashery
2009-11-16, 03:41 PM
.sdrawkcab dias eb tsum yas uoy gnihtyreve

.uʍop ǝpısdn uǝʇʇıɹʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ 'ɥɔǝǝds s,ɹǝʇɔɐɹɐɥɔ ɹnoʎ ǝdʎʇ oʇ uǝddɐɥ noʎ ɟı 'ɹo

Brendan
2009-11-16, 03:54 PM
A cursed ten foot pole: whenever not moving or in combat, you will, once an hour, stop whatever you are doing, make a DC 10 strength check to stick the pole in the ground, and make a perform dance check. You are no longer wearing any armor or magical items. Also, anyone nearby is hit by the fascination spell.

Maryring
2009-11-16, 06:24 PM
I like these ones.

I thought the second was a reference to Hansel and Gretel instead. You know, classic folk tale about two young children who get lost in the woods but get home through a trail until one day the trail disappears?

As for the other, it can be a reference to many different folk tales regarding trolls, nisser and tusser.

Set
2009-11-16, 06:40 PM
Target believes that he's a werewolf. He takes ridiculous precautions to lock himself up on the nights of the full moon, and often breaks free anyway (since he retains his normal intellect) and runs around biting and clawing at people.

Target believes he's a vampire. He avoids sunlight, mirrors, garlic, entering homes uninvited, etc. More dubiously, he carries a coffin around to sleep in, being unable to rest without either being in a coffin, or burying himself in dirt (leaving his head above ground, as he still has to breathe!). He performs normal bodily upkeep (drinking water, eating food, passing wastes) but immediately forgets doing so, believing that he is a 'creature of the night' and only subsists off of blood (although animal blood will satisfy his 'dark hunger').

Skaven
2009-11-16, 07:18 PM
You are compelled to refuse that which you want, and accept that which you do not want.

You cannot see that which your eyes are focused on, but can see everything else fine.

All liquid you drink turns into strong alcohol in your stomach.

You attract all insects in 30ft towards you.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-16, 07:20 PM
You believe that your fingers are turning into some sort of slime.

Draz74
2010-05-14, 02:36 PM
and not sure where the third one comes from. :)

Real-life insomniacs. :smallfrown:

Gensh
2010-05-14, 03:17 PM
You must say the name of some sort of flying animal, such as a falcon or bat, before any noun.

After death and burial, you and any corpses within 30ft. immediately resurrect as zombies. You are mysteriously dressed in a red jumpsuit, regardless of what you were buried in and are compelled to lead your fellow undead in a strange dance routine.

All pumpkins mysteriously vanish the moment you take your eyes off them.

Your body switches sides as if it was reflected in a mirror. Your dominant hand changes, as do any wounds, scars, amputations, etc.

Whenever you say "pause," you insist that no one is allowed to take any action at all beyond looking in their backpack.

EDIT: Crap. Necromancy.

Mr. Anon Omys
2010-05-14, 04:13 PM
If you wear red clothes, you will be the first party member attacked by any and all monsters.

You (painfull or disgusting action) every time you hear your name.

You have an irresistable urge to embarass yourself somehow in the presence of royalty.

You have an irrisistable urge to chew something. Anything. If you don't, your front teeth grow.

You beleive that you are a character in a musical production. You randomly burst into song and are suprised when people do not jump in.

You cannot breathe while your mouth is open/closed.

You hate mondays.

Telonius
2010-05-14, 04:16 PM
Once a month, you must perform a vile act of Threadomancy. :smallbiggrin: