PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Dmg2

Totally Guy
2009-09-24, 06:52 AM
I see the Dungeon Master's Guide 2 is out. Is it any good? What does it have in it?

Thane of Fife
2009-09-24, 06:54 AM
I cannot personally comment, but based on this thread (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=474614) from rpg.net, people seem to be enjoying it.

Somebloke
2009-09-24, 07:03 AM
I had a look through it.

For new DMs it is a wonderful, wonderful resource that will dramatically improve and expand their options and ability to create interesting campaigns.

For experienced DMs, it is an interesting read but really little more as they are more likely to have already picked up on the lessons within.

The 'mechanical rewards without magic' section would have been really, really helpful one year ago (I ended up developing my own system that was eerily similar) as my campaign is low-magic.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-24, 07:12 AM
For new DMs it is a wonderful, wonderful resource that will dramatically improve and expand their options and ability to create interesting campaigns.

For experienced DMs, it is an interesting read but really little more as they are more likely to have already picked up on the lessons within.

This. But then, I've said the same about the DMG1.

Somebloke
2009-09-24, 07:13 AM
This. But then, I've said the same about the DMG1.

At least 50% of the content of most DMGs to be honest...

oxybe
2009-09-24, 07:57 AM
it's nice to have DMGs that actually go and break down various concepts for GMs.

It's really nice. i've been in the game since the last gasps of TSR, and honestly... most DMGs were mostly "ignore the gnome behind the curtain" rules. rule stuff that players don't really work with or of not much use to them. but the 4th ed ones actually go into discussion of player motivation, story structure & narration... this is like... "woah...", to quote the great philosopher.

every time i read the 4th ed DMG 1 or 2 i find a new bit of advice for running the game i find useful.

Shadow_Elf
2009-09-24, 02:43 PM
I think it is a big compliment that this is going to be the first 4e book that I read cover-cover like a book. Its... that good. I would have preferred a bit more crunch - their tantalizing "examples" of terrain powers and alternate rewards did not satisfy me. But the written content is really wonderful.

Mando Knight
2009-09-24, 02:45 PM

That's the point of the DMG: to help new DMs get the tips and tricks of the experienced ones without messing up twelve years of campaigns first.

AllisterH
2009-09-24, 03:10 PM
At least 50% of the content of most DMGs to be honest...

2nd edition DMG. Pretty much has NOTHING in teaching "how to be a DM" but is mostly rules expansions of PHB rules.

(and this is NOT a good thing...Really, other than the magic item tables, you can safely ignore it)

NPCMook
2009-09-24, 03:31 PM
DMG 2 expands on the ideas of Page 42 from DMG 1, now giving you "powers" based on terrain, so now instead of houseruling that the guy swinging from the chandelier is getting all these bonuses, they actually wrote out what he gets. Also has a Paragon Tier Mini Adventure to help introduce DMs to Paragon Tier Campaigns. Templates for all the classes released after PHB 1. Since it seemed to be so popular they wrote out suggestions for people who wish to run low-magic campaigns

BobTheDog
2009-09-24, 05:18 PM
If I didn't live so damn far away from Amazon's shipment center, I could give you my opinion. :smallfrown: Maybe in a couple of weeks...