PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning

Lysander
2009-09-24, 11:00 AM
How can you stop all those thousands of shed hairs and skin cells from being used against you? A potentially useful spell with a price:

Eradication of Self
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Cleric 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 willing creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

The subject is instantly slain and every part of their body disintegrated except for their heart. This is powerful voodoo magic and it destroys all former parts of their body such as hair, skin, and blood no matter where they are so that they are unusable in spells. Materials in an anti-magic field will disintegrate as soon as they are removed. All copies of the subject created with a fragment of their body such as Simulacrums and Ice Assassins are instantly destroyed by this spell. The heart is the sole remnant of their body and can be used to raise them from the dead with the standard level loss. This spell can be cast upon oneself.

Doc Roc
2009-09-24, 11:05 AM
So........ A spell to....
Kill yourself and hope your opponents don't use psychic reformation to pick up Eschew Materials?

:smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2009-09-24, 12:12 PM
So........ A spell to....
Kill yourself and hope your opponents don't use psychic reformation to pick up Eschew Materials?

:smallbiggrin:

Can Eschew Materials be used to perform spells that require material from a specific creature?

Yar
2009-09-24, 12:12 PM
Interesting Spell. Though for the life of me i can't think of a use for it.

Doc Roc
2009-09-24, 12:20 PM
Can Eschew Materials be used to perform spells that require material from a specific creature?

Per RAW, yep.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-09-24, 12:26 PM

Stick a Contingent Ressurrection on yourself when you know then enemy has gotten a hold of a fragment of your body for sinister magicks, or use it when you're about to die and are fighting an enemy that animates dead bodies and prevents them from being raised. Later, have a member of your party raise you normally.

It's not very useful, but, in the right situation, it could help.

Lysander
2009-09-24, 12:32 PM
Per RAW, yep.

By that logic you could animate a skeleton without needing a skeleton, assuming there are a lot of dead people nearby to drive the price of bones down. While the RAW says you can cast the spell, Eschew Materials never guarantees the same effect. You might just create a mindless snowman.

Ashtagon
2009-09-24, 12:42 PM
By that logic you could animate a skeleton without needing a skeleton, assuming there are a lot of dead people nearby to drive the price of bones down. While the RAW says you can cast the spell, Eschew Materials never guarantees the same effect. You might just create a mindless snowman.

No you can't. Animate dead doesn't use a dead body or skeleton as a material component. The spell is cast on the corpse. You can't cast the spell if the target of the spell is not actually present.

Elfin
2009-09-24, 12:47 PM
Very interesting.
Although it has very limited usage, it could be quite helpful in the right situation.

Lysander
2009-09-24, 12:48 PM
No you can't. Animate dead doesn't use a dead body or skeleton as a material component. The spell is cast on the corpse. You can't cast the spell if the target of the spell is not actually present.

Technically Simulacrum is:

cast over the rough snow or ice form, and some piece of the creature to be duplicated (hair, nail, or the like) must be placed inside the snow or ice.

But is it a target or a material? I'd say target, even though it's listed in the components section.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-09-24, 12:50 PM
fail
________

Lysander
2009-09-24, 01:00 PM

There's an obvious use. An enemy has created an ice assassin to kill you and burn your body. This kills it with no save and allows you to be raised.

Silverscale
2009-09-24, 01:50 PM
with such a limited use would anyone actually take the time to learn the spell?

The Neoclassic
2009-09-24, 02:19 PM

A devious wizard with some very complex master/super-villain plan might.

Lord_Gareth
2009-09-24, 02:26 PM

For the same reason Magic players use One With Nothing - the lulz. To see what they can do with it.

Doc Roc
2009-09-24, 02:42 PM
A devious wizard with some very complex master/super-villain plan might.

That... would be me, basically. I got nothing. Seriously nothing.

Sudduth
2009-09-24, 03:14 PM
Honestly just sounds like a spell for Evil campaigns and for villains to use. But however I've already had my villains use a "self-destruct" type move that does a large amount of D12's.