PDA

View Full Version : CD Quality

Totally Guy
2009-09-24, 03:32 PM
I've prepared playlists for 6 moods that I can use for an upcoming gaming campaign.

I bought a CD player and some blank CDs so I could have a CD for each mood. But unfortunately the burned CD is all juddery and distorted. I thought that digital media did not suffer with this. There's no way I can use what I've got.:smallfrown:

I feel cheated that this hasn't worked for me.

I've spent money on all this stuff and all I want to do listen to the music is a slightly different order than the CDs I originally bought. Have you any idea how long it takes to listen to 6 hours of music and then label up which music represents which mood and then choose a suitable playing order?

How can I improve the quality of the burned CD?

Narmoth
2009-09-24, 03:57 PM
what format do you burn the music in? And in what bit rate? Low bit rate can damage severely the music

Totally Guy
2009-09-24, 04:04 PM
Although it didn't say explicitly when I did it, I believe it should be 128Kbps and the it's .wma as it's Windows Media Player.

Erloas
2009-09-24, 04:08 PM
Is it all songs or just some of them that are skipping? Did you burn them as MP3s or did you burn them as CD audio (74 minutes per CD, as opposed to 700MB of data)?

It could simply be that you got a bad CD-R. It could be that you bought a 24x CD-R and then tried to write it at 32x and it didn't write correctly (or any other set of numbers where you are trying to write it faster then the CD is designed to burn at). If you burned them as MP3s it might be that the player can't handle the bit rate you saved the MP3s as.

First step would be to try the burned CD, whichever method you used, in the computer you originally ripped the music from and burnt the CD. If it plays fine there then it is probably a format incompatibility with the other player. If it doesn't play right on the original computer then it probably just didn't burn correctly.

I know for a while there were some compatibility issues with some types of CDs and some stand alone players, but I don't know how much of an issue that is any more. I know it was much more common for CD players to have a harder time reading CD-RWs as opposed to just CD-Rs.

Totally Guy
2009-09-25, 12:23 PM
After thinking about it rationally I remembered I had a CD player in my cool car. And it worked perfectly in there.

Therefore I'll be returning the CD player I bought.