PDA

View Full Version : Quirky Miniboss Squads

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-24, 05:14 PM
Link to TVtropes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuirkyMinibossSquad

So, I've always loved the QMS in films and books and whatnot, and now that I've typed this, I've learned I love their initials too!

So, in this thread:

1. Discussion and "internet theory" as to the effectiveness of QMS as a whole and how best to run them.

2. Stats/suggestions for QMS of every level and variety.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-24, 05:29 PM
You mean like the Axem Rangers you fight in Super Mario RPG?

I wouldn't mind seeing them stated.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 05:31 PM
5 Rangers, each of whom dresses in a different yet vibrant color, fight with a mixture of double weapons and unarmed strikes.

Rixx
2009-09-24, 05:41 PM
Make them equal in number to the party, but perhaps consistently one or two levels lower. A fun idea would be to make each one of them the "opposite" of a party member - the large, boisterous Fighter might be opposed by a small, deadpan Wizard, or the cunning and manipulative Rogue might be matched by a straightforward, practical Barbarian.

You could also go for characters that your party members would each individually hate. Find out what makes them mad, and build characters around that.

Thrawn183
2009-09-24, 05:47 PM
Five Factotums. You don't even need to rebuild them each campaign. Once you've built one, he's good forever.

LoneMage210
2009-09-24, 05:51 PM
Try to think of a theme for the squad, like theme naming and stuff... although comically try not to make the themes so obvious to their weakness unless you intend to make them a joke.

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-24, 06:16 PM
I'd take things from nursery rhymes.

Three Little Bigs. - A crazy man in a pig mask and his two dire boar "brothers"

Mr & Mrs. Jack Sprat- A husband and wife cannibal duo.

Etc.

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-24, 07:35 PM
I always wanted to see someone animate five different foods and then have them band together to form Team Complete Breakfast

woodenbandman
2009-09-24, 07:39 PM
EDIT: FIGHTING FOODONS!

I love these.

I need a way to fit them into my campaign.

Zovc
2009-09-24, 08:11 PM
A Kobold, a Goblin, a Gnome, and a Dwarf. Maybe toss in an Orc if you want a group of 5. Remove the Dwarf for a group of 3.

Rixx
2009-09-24, 08:34 PM
Better yet - a kobold, a gnoll, and an orc. The kobold is the boss.

awa
2009-09-24, 09:32 PM
when i make a quirky mini boss squad i often make them an anti party where each member is similar to one of the player with an equal ecl but built in a way that will let the player when.
like in one game i had planed the mini boss squad was set up so one was extremely fast and could spam a dozen attacks a round so he could wipe out the entire party by himself, except his opposite whose players defense and attack got a temporary boost against an enemy who missed him every time he missed him so he would be able to defeat his more powerful opposite.
each of the other players had a similar enemy who could defeat the other two players at the same time with ease but would lose against their double

Kris Strife
2009-09-25, 05:21 AM
I always wanted to see someone animate five different foods and then have them band together to form Team Complete Breakfast

Like this? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html

Keewatin
2009-09-25, 06:10 AM
I once had a minotaur minor villan named Lactos the Intollerant who spoke very loud and in the 3rd person :smalltongue:

His weakness was icecream.

oxybe
2009-09-25, 06:43 AM
the QMS rarely survives their meetups with my parties... yet keep coming back.

why?

the party never checks the bodies for stuff other then gear so they never notice the missing left pinky toe... on each one of them.

which is conveniently housed in a stasis jar alongside resurrection materials in the BBEG's warehouse. it does come out of their pay. if they can't afford the rez, they ain't coming back.

Farlion
2009-09-25, 08:16 AM
Hmmm... a Hillgiant and a Firegiant who walk around together and kill stuff by jumping on it.

Also they have a quirk for flowers and stomp every mushroom they see!

Cheers,
Farlion

(P.S: I think the idea has been around on this board before, but I think it goes well here)

Zovc
2009-09-25, 08:46 AM
How about a QMS the players fight several times. After trumping the QMS on each occasion, players finally beat their boss--the QMS then joins the players. X3

Sipex
2009-09-25, 09:21 AM
I've got a squad like this, they're called the Mire Bandits (I'm pretty sure that name rips off something but I don't know what or care really), they're based off a QMS some friends and I roleplayed on a game server once.

There are six of them, and their general purpose is to...as my friend put it...Troll IRL. They do this by doing nearly anything for money. Scams, stealing, slave trade...all inneffectually of course.

It's made up of six members, not properly statted out yet:

Boss (Human) - The leader. Focuses on smooth talking and invention of odd things with names we recognise (ie: He made a 'vaccuum cleaner' which was just a box with a pipe attached to it). Also specializes in explosives, scamming and disguises.

Dagget (Human) - The quiet dumb muscle guy. Good at stealth and swordplay using a longsword. Usually teams up with Toma. Has a quick temper and not too bright when it comes to battle tactics. Also quite good at scaling walls.

Toma (Catfolk) - A very short annoying catman who specializes in acrobatic maneuvers, pickpocketing and lying through his teeth. Often gets himself into trouble and has to get Dagget to intervene. Likes to use the "LOOK BEHIND YOU!" technique a lot.

Kensei (Human) - The charismatic jerk dressed as a ninja. Not even sure if he's got any oriental-type blood or if he just really likes ninjas. Good at scaling surfaces and hit'n'run combat. Dual wields swords.

Hanzodis (Human) - Kensei's brother, the non-charismatic jerk dressed in a cloak. Most booksmart of the group so he's the designated appraiser. Partially insane and eats the hearts of any slain enemy. Carries a sword-staff and has no sense of humour.

The Kid (Human) - Can't remember his name but he's the youngest of the group. Joined after hunting them down because he idolizes them. Carries a giant shield shaped like a turtle shell and some sort of enhanced bag of tricks. What he pulls out could really be anything from a complex ornate spear to a housecat...and it's random!

The party hasn't met them too much yet but so far they've tried to sell the party fake magic ingrediants, tried to steal from the rogue while selling the fake ingrediants (to which the cat-man replied "I was...er....cleaning your pockets. That'll be 5 gold please") and in the end blew up their merchant tent by accident.

They also showed up later and kidnapped the rogue because they were pissed off at the party for revealing their scam. The rogue broke free after a bit, disarmed Dagget and stole his longsword and then escaped.

Not sure if I'll use them too much more...I might.