PDA

View Full Version : question on incantrixes

Korivan
2009-09-24, 05:23 PM
I've found two different versions of this PrC. The one I have a question about comes I believe from Magic of Ferun. They have if I remember correctly, the ability to apply 1-2 times per day, metamagic to a spell without increasing casting time or level adjustment. If this is the case, whats to stop an incantrix from persisting a Time Stop (besides the DM)?

quick_comment
2009-09-24, 05:24 PM
Time stop only has an apparant duration, not a real one.

Random832
2009-09-24, 05:32 PM
Time stop only has an apparant duration, not a real one.

The word "instantaneous" appears nowhere in the duration descriptor for the spell. The word "apparent" appears nowhere in the description for Persistent Spell.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-24, 05:37 PM
I think the errata for Time Stop and Persist Spell have something to add to this discussion.

HCL
2009-09-24, 05:38 PM
That wouldnt make sense. Time stop speeds you up so fast that it feels like time is stopped around you for 6-30 seconds. "Persisting" time stop wouldnt be making the buff last for a day, it would be speeding up your character by several hundred times the base spell does.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-25, 03:06 PM
That wouldnt make sense. Time stop speeds you up so fast that it feels like time is stopped around you for 6-30 seconds. "Persisting" time stop wouldnt be making the buff last for a day, it would be speeding up your character by several hundred times the base spell does.

Kinda like how the Flash is now in the DC Universe?

jiriku
2009-09-25, 03:12 PM
I've found two different versions of this PrC. The one I have a question about comes I believe from Magic of Ferun. They have if I remember correctly, the ability to apply 1-2 times per day, metamagic to a spell without increasing casting time or level adjustment. If this is the case, whats to stop an incantrix from persisting a Time Stop (besides the DM)?

LOLOL!

I don't know what besides the DM would stop you, but if you did that in my campaign I'd send a PACK of inevitables after you.

Draz74
2009-09-25, 03:12 PM
I think the errata for Time Stop and Persist Spell have something to add to this discussion.

I think technically it wasn't errata, just a specific ruling (in Sage Advice or FAQ?).

Basically, reading between the lines, WotC has answered: "Whoops. We really screwed that one up. Well, just pretend we didn't, ok? We're unofficially making it a specific rule that Persistent Time Stop doesn't work, not because we can find anything in the rules to justify that, but just ... because."

quick_comment
2009-09-25, 03:17 PM
You also cant use incantrix to persist it because you cant instant metamagic something to a level above what you can cast, and you cant use metamagic effect to do something to a magical effect during a timestop.

I suppose you could do it with DMM or cooperative metamagic.

Akisa
2009-09-25, 04:34 PM
You could always improve spell casting....

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-25, 04:52 PM
just so we're clear these are the three things in question

From the Player's guide to faerun, under incantatrix. . .

Instant Metamagic (SU): once per day, a 7th level or higher incantatrix can apply a single metamagic feat she possesses to a spell without preparing it that way beforehand (if she prepares spells) or increasing casting time (if she does not prepare spells). Thus, a wizard's prepared spell works as if she had prepared it with the metamagice feat, but does not use a higher-level spell slot. A sorcerer or bard's spell is cast without adjusting its casting time, but it works as if he had cast it with the metamagic feat. A 9th level incantatrix can use this power twice per day.

and the time stop spell. . .

Time Stop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Trickery 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1d4+1 rounds (apparent
time); see text
This spell seems to make time cease to
flow for everyone but you. In fact, you
speed up so greatly that all other creatures
seem frozen, though they are actually still
moving at their normal speeds. You are
free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent
time. Normal and magical fire, cold, gas,
and the like can still harm you. While the
time stop is in effect, other creatures are
invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you
cannot target such creatures with any
attack or spell. A spell that affects an area
and has a duration longer than the
remaining duration of the time stop (such as
cloudkill) have their normal effects on
other creatures once the time stop ends.
Most spellcasters use the additional time
to improve their defenses, summon allies,
or flee from combat.
You cannot move or harm items held,
carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal
time, but you can affect any item that
is not in another creature’s possession.
You are undetectable while time stop
lasts. You cannot enter an area protected
by an antimagic field while under the effect
of time stop.

Persistent Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisite
Extend Spell.

Benefit
A persistent spell has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You need not concentrate on spells such as detect magic or detect thoughts to be aware of the mere presence of absence of the things detected, but you must still concentrate to gain additional information as normal. Concentration on such a spell is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

just to be helpfull