PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Brilliant Energy weapons (3.5)

Harperfan7
2009-09-24, 06:08 PM
1. Does a brilliant energy arrow/bolt/bullet go throw doors and walls?

2. Do they ignore the fortification armor enchantment? (because they ignore the armor bonus...)

3. Do they hurt warforged?

Zincorium
2009-09-24, 06:36 PM
1. I would say yes as DM, but it's not spelled out.

2. RAW, no. Fortification is a magical benefit, like the strength bonus from a girdle of giant strength, not a physical characteristic of the armor.

3. Warforged are living constructs. AKA, they are constructs with a subtype, meaning that by a strict reading of the description of brilliant energy, they are immune to it's effects as all constructs are.

ericgrau
2009-09-24, 06:42 PM
1. No, because at least the back of the arrow is not light, so that you can pull it on a bowstring. Just like the hilt of a brilliant energy sword. But it could conceivably hit someone leaning onto the other side of a thin wall.

2. While the arrow does not negate any magical effects that armor may bestow on the wearer, the description of fortification says that it creates a magical force to protect the wearer's vital areas more effectively. If you assume that means patches made of force, then the arrow can go through it. If you assume that "magical force" means deflecting the arrow into a nearby less vital spot by some telekinetic means, then fortification still works.

3. Brilliant energy ignores nonliving matter, thus it is probable that constructs are not affected because they are assumed to be nonliving. If warforged are living, then they are still affected. But if their armor is part of them and thus living, then it remains functional just like natural armor stops brilliant energy.

Akal Saris
2009-09-24, 06:50 PM
1. I'd rule that it simply stops at the door, unable to continue through it.

2. No, it shouldn't bypass that.

3. Strictly RAW, no it doesn't, but given that warforged are unique and effectively living creatures, I'd houserule a yes.

By the way, you know what's a lot of fun and quite devious? Playing a necromancer and casting Brilliant Aura (from the Spell Compendium) on your opponents' blades, making their weapons Brilliant Energy, and then leaving them to fight your undead horde, which are immune to Brilliant Energy.