PDA

View Full Version : Could blackguard work as a baseclass?

Sewblon
2009-09-24, 11:53 PM
It seems weird that paladins, warriors for justice(in theory), are a base class, but blackguards, the evil equivalent, are a prestige class. The Dungeon Master's Guide mentions fallen paladins becoming blackguards, why not the other way around too? So have any of you ever modified or seen this modified this and do you think that it could work?

Kylarra
2009-09-24, 11:59 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

Paladins of Slaughter/Tyranny

Raltar
2009-09-25, 12:08 AM
Well, if I remember correctly, there's a chart in the Blackguard entry that gives extra class features depending on how many fallen paladin levels the character has(or, they can exchange a full 10 fallen paladin levels for 10 full levels of Blackguard). It shouldn't be difficult to make a full 20 level class out of that chart in addition to the other abilities the Blackguard already has.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-09-25, 12:08 AM
Technically, if you take straight paladin to way-high-epic (like 32nd), you can then switch out all your paladin levels for blackguard ones...

Ravens_cry
2009-09-25, 12:21 AM

My thoughts exactly, with possible modifications for more blackguard-i-nes.
Hmmm, if I ever play an evil campaign, I think I will play a real hard nosed paladin of tyranny. Basically all the paladin stereotypes, ramped to Level Miko+. Anyone who steals from me, gets there hands chopped off. Yes. Hands. As in plural.They do it again, and I will only chop one thing off. A bit higher up though.

Greymane
2009-09-25, 12:25 AM
I've thought the exact same thing, but I would echo the use of the Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter.

What I wanted to do once upon a time was just let you start out at the Blackguard class itself (after making ten more levels for it, which would just basically advance what they already get), but it's too good with Full BaB, some Sneak Attack and a decent spell list if you have some splats to help it.

Sewblon
2009-09-25, 12:28 AM

That is what I was looking for, thanks.

Count Dravda
2009-09-25, 02:53 AM
Remember, though, Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter have codes of conduct that make the standard paladin's look like a breeze. "Never commit a good act." EVER. In addition, a paladin of slaughter must always disrespect any authority that has not proven to be physically stronger than him.

If you thought the normal paladin code was restrictive...

-Count Dravda

Yora
2009-09-25, 03:38 AM
Looking at these variant classes makes me really realize how bad the paladin is. There is no reason to take more than 3 levels. A Paladin3/Cleric17 loses 5 points of BAB, but has the same ability to turn undead, a Caster Level 7 higher, 9th level spells, and four time as many spells. Spontaneously casting cure spells is far superiror to Lay on Hands. Put in some fighter levels and you get a bit more BAB and some extra feats, and can still laugh at a Paladin20s spellcasting.
You'd lose the mount, but how much mounted combat do you commonly have in a capaign at all?

Kylarra
2009-09-25, 10:40 AM
Remember, though, Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter have codes of conduct that make the standard paladin's look like a breeze. "Never commit a good act." EVER. In addition, a paladin of slaughter must always disrespect any authority that has not proven to be physically stronger than him.

If you thought the normal paladin code was restrictive...

-Count DravdaTyranny is a lot easier to maintain with decent RP. Slaughter is kind of lol CEvil.

Xenogears
2009-09-25, 12:31 PM
Tyranny is a lot easier to maintain with decent RP. Slaughter is kind of lol CEvil.

Not terribly much better. You can never ever commit a good act. Kill a fiend that is trying to kill you? Fall for it. Way worse than regular Paladin.

Blackfang108
2009-09-25, 12:59 PM
I'm actually playing a character in an Evil campaign right now.

Githzerai Blackguard 5.

when he takes a level of Blackguard, he also gains the benefits of having traded in X levels of Paladin. X=levels of BG.

It makes sense in story. (this was going to be a party NPC, but the DM decided after the first sessino that he didn't want to run the character, and asked if I wanted in.)

It works pretty well. i'm not grossly overpowered (except compared to the Marshall 4 / Favored Soul 3, but, then again, our Monk is overpowered compared to him.)

Although I recently got clearence to rebuild him, and I'm thinking Divine Mind (Hextor) or LE Monk. (20 Dex at level 5). Or Crusader.

Yora
2009-09-25, 01:26 PM
Well, you could always argue with doing everything you do for selfish reasons. Saved your girlfriend? Just because you selfishly tried to save yourself from grief! Healed a wounded ally? You still need him for world domination! Rescued your friend from prison? Nobody is allowed to slap your bitch but yourself! ^^