PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a systemic way to RP cast spells

Raenir Salazar
2009-09-25, 12:21 AM
Looking at Ars Magica source books they provide latin terms for 5 'techniques' and 10 'forms' for example th technique creo which is 'I create' and the form ignem 'fire' so a fire spell of somekind is creo ignem and from there different fire effects can be done and then given a level to determine if you can cast it.

This is nice and is helpful but only properly accounts for half of what I need.

A spell has the following I should think attributes; technique, form, duration, range, area of effect, drawback.

So I think if I can find latin or aramaic terms for the remainder I have at least a prototype means of having a consistent verbal spellcasting system when I roleplay.

3.5ed has durations as I think per round, per minute, per 10 minutes, per hour, per day.

Range is divided by touch, short, medium, long.

Area of effect is by Single, Self, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Colossal I think.

And draw back is simply things like does it allow saves, spell resistance checks etc this part is alot more complicated and not sure what kind of words should be used as descriptors here.

Now should I use a literal usage of latin terms for what I need or should I use analogies or something more akin to symbolism?

Any suggestions? The purpose is so at the table I can have my character say a sentence that is actually consistent with different spells.

Creo ignem mediocritis magnus poena could be 'fireball'. create fire average range, no duration, large area, drawback/penalty.

Rixx
2009-09-25, 12:52 AM
Instead of using straight latin, I'd condense the spell components to one or two syllables each. I'd save the flowery stuff for metamagic.

Get words for subtypes (mind-affecting, fire, force, charm, compulsion, etc.), and also one for each arcane school. Use the subtype word first, or the arcane school word if it has no subtype.

Also note which spells have verbal components in the first place.

taltamir
2009-09-25, 12:56 AM
you could just use "harry potter latin". aka "petrificus (petrify) totalus (totally)" to cast flesh to stone, etc... Or call out the names in english... Or just get REAL latin names and memorize them...

Frankly, I suggest not bothering, it will get really old really fast no matter what approach you take.

Burley
2009-09-25, 07:06 AM
My suggestion? Either shout out names that could be in the Kama Sutra, or just use the twelve chinese zodiac characters randomly, like in Naruto.
I'm not trying to get anime-crazy on you, cause I've only seen the show a few times. But, every time I have seen it, they're like "Pig Monkey Rooster Otter Horse Tiger Jutsu!" and then they turn into a log...
I probably missed the episode that explains why all ninjas have identical logs handy at all times...
/derailment

SydneyLosstarot
2009-09-25, 08:09 AM
Frankly, I suggest not bothering, it will get really old really fast no matter what approach you take.

this.
the first time you pronounce a Latin(or in whatever tongue you conjure up) phrase, it'll be golden.
the group will tolerate the second time you speak it instead of "i cast Fireball".
i'm not sure you won't be interrupted the third time.

it's like spellcasting in MMO's, quickly gets old, then starts pressing on one's nerves, then gets turned off.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-25, 09:31 AM
My suggestion? Either shout out names that could be in the Kama Sutra, or just use the twelve chinese zodiac characters randomly, like in Naruto.
I'm not trying to get anime-crazy on you, cause I've only seen the show a few times. But, every time I have seen it, they're like "Pig Monkey Rooster Otter Horse Tiger Jutsu!" and then they turn into a log...
I probably missed the episode that explains why all ninjas have identical logs handy at all times...
/derailment

Technically, that's the names of the hand signs they make. The actual name of whatever technique they use is different.

taltamir
2009-09-25, 01:48 PM
this.
the first time you pronounce a Latin(or in whatever tongue you conjure up) phrase, it'll be golden.
the group will tolerate the second time you speak it instead of "i cast Fireball".
i'm not sure you won't be interrupted the third time.

it's like spellcasting in MMO's, quickly gets old, then starts pressing on one's nerves, then gets turned off.

Yap... you ALWAYS turn off the "spell casting effects" sooner or later. Usually sooner. And at least in the computer game it is professional voice actors with a sound team (to add reverb and other "cool" effects) and writers (to come up with the words)

Technically, that's the names of the hand signs they make. The actual name of whatever technique they use is different.

yea... they form runes with their hand which they have decided to give zodiac names to, and then use those to cast spells.
I remember seeing in the back of the manga on one of the early chapters an explanation saying that the author planned this story for a long time, but shelved it for 10 years. Naruto was supposed to be a boy wizard going to a wizardry school and fighting the big evil. Then harry potter happened. Not wanting to seem a copy cat the author reworked it into "ninjas", but it still retains heavy "boy wizard" tones.

cfalcon
2009-09-25, 05:10 PM
What you have up there sounds pretty good. I think that the folks saying it'll get old are comparing it to MMOs. Fireball in WoW has a 3.5 second cast time. With haste and gear, it'll you'll get it below 3 seconds easy. If you had to hear your mage say "fuego!" or whatever, every 3 seconds, for a five minute boss, you'd be punching bricks pretty quick. But your D&D wizard casts your most useful and common spell how many times in a night? How about a sorceror built around casting fireball? Hearing a couple latin syllables once every couple minutes for maybe five times total won't get old. Do it, and post your system here when you do.

Raenir Salazar
2009-09-25, 05:18 PM
What you have up there sounds pretty good. I think that the folks saying it'll get old are comparing it to MMOs. Fireball in WoW has a 3.5 second cast time. With haste and gear, it'll you'll get it below 3 seconds easy. If you had to hear your mage say "fuego!" or whatever, every 3 seconds, for a five minute boss, you'd be punching bricks pretty quick. But your D&D wizard casts your most useful and common spell how many times in a night? How about a sorceror built around casting fireball? Hearing a couple latin syllables once every couple minutes for maybe five times total won't get old. Do it, and post your system here when you do.

Yay positive feedback! :D

What I have above is mostly it, I'm still googling up different rough latin translations of the different variables when spellcasting and the Araimic as well.

Paulus
2009-09-25, 05:43 PM

What I have above is mostly it, I'm still googling up different rough latin translations of the different variables when spellcasting and the Araimic as well.

Well just keep in mind most spells are spell triggers, meaning, they already cast part of the spell before hand when it's needed cast it fully by finishing the incantation. So at most you'll be saying two maybe three words. Saying fireball in latin could be nice instead of "I cast Fireball" if your group is into that, and since you are asking about it I suspect they are. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about range, area, etc. as if you consider it, you've already cast that when you prepared it. And if you are a Spontaneous caster, well, this could apply but, the long lines of latin would get tedious, especially when your DM has to learn all your new terms. I would go so far as to say preface with "Character casts empowered heightened fireball and scream, INFLAMBE!!!" that way you get your flavor and the group knows what exactly you are casting.

To much latin will be a code and a core everyone will have to stop and ask you to explain or learn. Further slowing gameplay and breaking immersion. I could also see going with styles as long as you included the preface. "I cast lightening bolt, DRAGON'S SPITE OF HEAVEN!"

taltamir
2009-09-25, 07:16 PM

just because people disagree with you doesn't mean their feedback wasn't positive. Especially if they included mechanical suggestions on how to do so if you really wanted to despite their advice.

Are you gonna require your DM to memorize the latin names for all your spells? or are you gonna say "I cast fireball - <latin>" every time?
because you might have cases where the DM thinks you cast one spell when you actually cast another.

Raenir Salazar
2009-09-25, 07:22 PM
No, this is for fluff. Why would I give the DM more work? And 50% of the reason for figuring this is for writing a story.