PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of Eberron

FlamingKobold
2009-09-25, 01:11 AM
It is midmorning on a cool, cloudless autumn day. You are in the hamlet of Mistmarsh, in Eastern Breland. Isell is in a magical trinkets shop, buying spell components and looking at the shop's collection of books, seeing if any of them hold any information that he does not already possess. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees a box sitting on a table across the room with a sign on it that says: "5 gp each." He sees a large quantity of familiar looking rocks that he identifies as Eberron Dragonshards. Asgil knows that there is no way that these were shipped to the shop from elsewhere, rather they had to have been found somewhat locally. He does not, however, recall the existence of a large quantity of dragonshards anywhere near Mistmarsh. It is peculiar indeed.

Everyone

You are free to act. You can be anywhere in the town if Mistmarsh, including in the shop with Isell, if you so wish.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-25, 04:47 AM
A tall, dark-skinned man walks into the town of Mistmarsh with his companion by his side. He gets a lot of odd looks wherever he goes - he does have passages of knowledge in many many different languages with white tattoos all over his dark-skinned body. More than he knows how to speak anyway. People tend to not ask questions and just stare instead. It's shame really, Gantz would revel in telling them the story of what had happened.

"I may have only met you on my travels Gryffe but I want you to know something. I am only 7 of your years old. I do not know how much time I have left to live, but in that time I wish to accomplish much."

While he speaks his eyes don't leave the road ahead; something about him doesn't like making eye contact when he speaks about his past - almost like he shouldn't be telling anyone.

"I have heard of a man who wishes to gather people together to investigate a large natural deposit of Dragonshards nearby, which geographically should not be there. I believe there to be much knowledge hidden within that deposit - would you come with me and help me? I can pay you, if that is what you wish. I have a need not for gold or treasure past what I need for my survival. Maybe you could make more use of it?"

He smiles at Gryffe, but something is odd about Gantz. His smile seems odd; not fake, but like he doesn't quite understand why he should be smiling, just that he should.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-25, 04:56 AM
Rolls for what Knowledge Gantz would know about the area/situation/history.

[roll0] Knowledge: Geography to know whether any other deposits are nearby, or how the Dragonshards may have come to be here. The Ring of Siberys out of line, for example.
[roll1] Knowledge: History to see whether anything similar has happened before, or any battles, or any wizards etc have been in the area?
[roll2] Knowledge: Nature to know what kind of area Mistmarsh is, and whether there are any kinds of monsters/wildlife that could cause any kind of trouble.

Best to tell me in PM? Gantz may know everything about a situation but he wouldnt always explain it all unless it was relevant at the time :smallbiggrin: gotta love lack of human interaction.

LeoMidori
2009-09-25, 06:45 AM
Claymore was in the magic shop, his green eyes scouring the bookshelves for information on the Day of Mourning or any other magical phenomina he could get; he had been searching tirelessly for answers for the past year, having only heard first hand accounts of what people had witnessed, but everyone's answer seemed different, and not only in minor ways. The residents of Cyre all had been scared, many of them having lost everything, although he never did understand why people would be so upset over loosing something like housing or farmland.

Search roll: 1d20+3 = 19. Searching for any books pertaining to the Mournland, or the Day of Mourning.

estradling
2009-09-25, 09:30 AM
Pondering the existence of the dragon shards, Isell asks the shop keeper if he recalls who sold the shards to him in the first place.

H Savvy
2009-09-25, 10:58 AM
A deeply brown-skinned dwarf plods alongside the curious tattooed man. His head is clean-shaven and shining, but his eyebrows and beard a fierce bushy black. His beard is elaborately braided and plaited, and cinched by a decorative gold clasp.

He turns to curiously regard his companion, adjusting his gold wire-rim glasses with a free hand. "An unnat'ral deposit of crystal, ye say?" he asks, his clear, deep voice only slightly marked by the heavy accent of the dwarves. "I'm interested, to be sure. Such an unnat'ral outcrop hints at some concentrated force of energy bubbling out to tha surface. I'd be glad to accomp'ny you again, Gantz, as this is a matter I find fair interest'n.

...Though, as ye mention coin, I'd not mind a bit o that, either. I'm running a bit short at the moment, but it's not tha' pressing."

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-26, 04:30 AM
"Energy bubbling up to the surface you say?" Gantz's mind flashed back to the underground tunnels between Sharn and Khyber that he spend days trying to negotiate to get to freedom. "Interesting theory. I hadn't thought of it that way. What do you think would cause such an event?"

As he asks his questions Gantz catches the magic shop in the corner of his eye and starts to veer off towards it. He also takes a look at any notice boards and such to see if there is any other expeditions/missions/anything to do with the deposit by other people.

H Savvy
2009-09-26, 11:53 AM
"I've no real ideas as to what might cause it, which is one reason I'm so int'rested. It could be caused by any number o things, really. Likely, though, it's magic in nature, being that dragonshards are tied so closely to magic. Their presence is..." Gryffe trailed off, momentarily at a loss, as his companion had apparently departed during his explanation without him noticing. He saw the dark-skinned Gantz veering towards a magic shop, and hustled after him. To most people, it would perhaps struck as rude or annoying, but to Gryffe, it was part of Gantz's charm. Oh, he had a strange mind, that one.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-28, 06:23 AM
"Excuse me, Servant of Cannith." Gantz approaches the warforged rifling around in the books. He'd never actually seen one with a weapon before, but he guessed that all servants obviously needed protection around here. "Have you been assigned to this store? I am seeking a man who is also seeking people to lead an expedition. I was told that this would be the meeting place. Maybe you could assist me."

Gantz knew all about the past of Warforged and what happened during the Last War, but what he didn't know is that they weren't all under the service of House Cannith any longer.

LeoMidori
2009-09-28, 11:15 AM
Claymore's search was interrupted when the odd and dark looking man approached him along with the black bearded dwarf; the Warforged had seen some odd sights in his time in Eberron, but Gantz was certainly something new. He shelved a book he was leafing through and turned to face them both. "Servent of Cannith? That's the first time I've been called that; more like manufactured and trained by Cannith. If you'd have said Soldier of Cyre, you'd be much more correct... and yet oddly enough you'd still be wrong, as we both know what happened there."

Claymore probably would have been smiling, if his plain looking face allowed him to, and he would've sounded much more friendly were he better with tone of voice; words weren't his strong point, and he was sounding a bit matter-of-fact, but he honestly didn't mean to.

"To answer your questions, no, I'm not in employ here, nor do I know of who're you're talking about. I'm a traveller, which is why I'm carrying the sword on my back, you see," he explained, trying to lighten his speech a little. "However... I'm not really doing anything at the moment, so maybe I could offer some help?"

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-28, 12:56 PM
"You'll have to forgive me, but I don't actually know of what happened with Cyre..." He trails off for a second, almost like he's trying to remember something important. "At least not yet."

Gantz walks all around Claymore without saying a word. Meticulously studying his construction and weapon. "So exquisite."

H Savvy
2009-09-28, 01:33 PM
"My greetings," the dwarf says in his low, clear voice, dipping into a small bow. "My name is Gryffe Stonehold, and my companion here goes by tha name Gantz. D'not be offended by his words or demeanor, I beg, he does not mean ill by them. In fact, I believe you and he are more alike than either realizes.

Do you have a designation, warforged? Or perhaps a civilian name you go by? I'm afraid I'm a bit unsure in these matters."

He adjusts his gold-rimmed spectacles in a nervous fidget.

LeoMidori
2009-09-28, 04:07 PM
Claymore was about to outline the Day of Mourning in short detail to Gantz but was cut off by the dwarf and a little weirded out by being examined all over. He was more used to being feared, ignored and denied service, not admired, so it was odd for him but not too unwelcome either.

He turned to the dwarf, a bit of cheer in his voice which broke the otherwise stagnant coldness of it from before; it wasn't often he was asked his name either. "Well during the war I was just called #51, but please call me Claymore if you wouldn't mind.

So tell me who exactly you're looking for... If you're going on an expidition I'd like to come, seeing as I'm not up to anything in perticular lately. Maybe I've seen them around?"

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-28, 04:23 PM
"Apparently there is a peculiar deposit of Dragonshards in the area, and if I'm not mistaken it is this very shop that we are standing in that is said to sell shards collected from that area. It just happened that you caught my eye and interested me a lot more than the shards at this very moment."

Gantz stops inspecting Claymore for a moment to look around the store to notice someone at the counter looking over the very Dragonshards he just spoke of. He stops to wonder why he hadn't noticed this man in the first place, bug shrugs and approaches him.

Still waiting on the results of the Knowledge checks and whether anything else has been posted on notice boards? Some GM interaction would be nice maybe? Not to nitpick, but skill checks and their results are kinda part of a skillful character's roleplaying :smalltongue:

"Might you possibly be the man I've been looking for? I hear you're looking for an expedition team."

estradling
2009-09-28, 04:33 PM
Isell looks up when he is spoken to, "I am interested in finding out where these come from." He points to the shards next to him. "And I've made that known, as for it being expedition. Well that depends on if I can get enough interest, from people willing to go for a share versus an upfront fee, and if I can a good enough idea on the location we should look in.

The young man looks to the guy that address him and then looks to the others, "Would any of you be interested in such an arrangement?"

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-28, 05:39 PM
"I do believe that myself and Gryffe, my Dwarven companion, would be interested, and I know that Claymore over there has expressed interest also. I would do it without any fee necessary as long as no one questions my use for the Dragonshards in my share if the sitution is applicable."

Gantz will peer over the Dragonshards. If any of them are Khyber, he will buy them. If he doesn't have enough gold he will ask the others in exchange for a lesser share of the findings. If that doesn't work he will offer his services to the shopkeeper and explain that the Khyber Dragonshards are currently more important to him than anyone could imagine.

H Savvy
2009-09-28, 06:34 PM
"Claymore, is it? And is that your name, or the name of yer big fleshcleaver there?" Gryffe grins at his new friend. "In seriousness, I'd love to see you put tha' big sword to use, though, friend. If you've taken yer name from it, y'must be a sight to behold.

I'm a traveler s'well, a sort of philosopher-warrior, though I fancy myself more the first than the latter."

Noticing that Gantz has again moved on without his notice, he shakes his head inwardly. "I should relish the chance to speak with you at length sometime, but I feel I must go keep an eye on my friend Gantz there. Not that he isn't capable, mind you, but he's a tad flighty, and he tends to stick out like a giant amongst gnomes."

Gryffe moves through the shop to where Gantz is talking to a thin, pale human, just in time to hear Gantz volunteer him for the expedition. A little unorthodox, but true nonetheless, so Gryffe simply nodded his head when his companion indicated him.

"I would indeed be interested in such an expedition. Such a large concentration of bloodstones suggests some other force or energy at work, and I am expressly interested in such deviations from the normal flow of things.

As for pay... I'd investigate simply for the joy of learning and exploration, but my purse is running rather light of late, and I'd like the chance to weight it down a bit in tha near future," the dwarf says, winking.

Mr DP
2009-09-28, 11:23 PM
The young proud heir of Cannith walks through Mistmarsh towards the magical trinkets shop. He opens the door with his calloused hand, he was no stranger to the forge, and steps in to see a mismatched bunch on fellows. Immediately his eyes darted to the box of Eberron shards. He knew a good deal when he saw it. Ignoring the other customers of the shop and holding out 10 platinum pieces,

"I'll take twenty of your largest."

estradling
2009-09-29, 12:59 PM
Moving to let the new comer purchase his shards, Isell continues. "Of course... of course.. what you do with your share would be completely up to you. I am more interested in the why of there formation then anything else." Turning to Gnatz he answers him, "I do understand the feeling of a lean purse. I have one myself. There are few other oddities that also have my interest, of them all this is the one that I think is most likely to return a profit of some kind which I can then use to fund the others. So while I can't promise what the equal share will be, I do expect it to be pretty good."

LeoMidori
2009-09-29, 09:31 PM
Claymore was more or less quiet while everyone was talking, though he caught a glimpse of the house mage dropping coins on the counter and asking for quite a few of the magic stones they were looking for."If you're so interested in the dragonshards then I suggest you quickly turn and look to get one before moneybags behind you buys them all from here."

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-30, 06:17 AM
"It seems like some people have no manners at all." Gantz scowls but lets the mage do his thing should he wish to. He knows that those who have enough money to throw around aimlessly never truely know of its value. The last thing Gantz wants to do is cause a fuss in a town he's not familiar with.

Besides if this deposit was a reality there would be a lot more where those came from anyway.

Mr DP
2009-09-30, 08:48 AM
Avaleous was a House Cannith Sorcerer, one of many faces of the House. Public relations was a part of his job and keeping the House in kind eyes was important.
Collecting his now purchased shard. "I'll forgive you for that scowl of passive aggressive behavior. I know not what your day has been so far, so your disposition could be a perfectly acceptable response to my actions."
Turning around to see the dark skinned human and dwarf, "Now from what I picked up from your esteemed dwarven friend here someone has 'a lean purse' and someone is looking to make a 'profit'. Perhaps we can discus turning the former into the latter over a drink?" With a handsome smile, "My treat."

AngelOmnipotent
2009-09-30, 08:58 AM
"You only need to forgive me if I seek an apology for anything I may do. I believe the scowl and my actions are well deserved indeed." If anything was enough to annoy Gantz it was people believing they were better than him without proof of concept. He had grown to learn that people who threw their personality around were usually not people of much worth.

"If I'm not mistaken we were in the middle of a private conversation, and my business is with this upstanding gentleman here. Not with you."

estradling
2009-09-30, 09:21 AM
Answering the Warforged's statement Isell replies, "Oh no.. the only value they have to me now is for information. He can have all he wants."

When Gantz addresses the newcomer Isell clarifies his position, "He might make you a better offer, and so I would totally understand if you wish to take it. My offer is what it is." Isell didn't address the newcomer because the new guy didn't talk to him, he addressed the people Isell was trying to work with. The fact the the newcomer was trying to poach in on his potential employees was just one of many irritants life threw his way

Mr DP
2009-09-30, 09:44 AM
Accessing the situation. "Many apologies, I was unaware of the negotiations you were partaking in. Far be it from me to detract potential employees. Though if you need assistance in your quest for information or another employee, I'll be at the tavern." Holding out a card with the Seal of House Cannith and the name Avaleous d'Cannith penned. Another handsome smile at the group and Avaleous heads for the door.

estradling
2009-09-30, 10:02 AM
Watching the guy walk away, Isell was forced to re-evaluate. Usually when someone tries to call this shots and dictate terms it was because they had the power to do so. Which was why Isell assumed poaching. The man's words said otherwise. That meant he was just an ass who was used to throwing his own weight around. Not someone Isell really wanted to be dealing with on a regular basis. Still Isell was trying to put together a group and the guy 'might' be useful. So he asks as the guy makes to leave, "Why would I pursue you, when I don't know what you can offer me, I don't like your attitude, and I have serious doubts you'd be interested in the rather humble offer that I am make?... Seems like it would be a waste of my time."

Mr DP
2009-09-30, 10:13 AM
Smiling, "I am a mage of Cannith. I can provide magical support, contacts, blacksmithing, and magical repairs. And who says that I am above humility?" Rubbing his calloused thumb and index finger together.

estradling
2009-09-30, 10:20 AM
The young man smiled at this, "A worker of the Arcane, would indeed be an asset. As for humble lets find out. I am putting this together to gain information. I expect to find things of some value in doing so, but I can't promise anything. Only that we all, including myself, with get an equal share of whatever we find. I must confess, from the little I have seen of you, that I feeling this might might not be an offer that interests you. I would be more then happy to be wrong though."

Mr DP
2009-09-30, 10:32 AM
"Then prepare for happiness." A quick smile at the warforged, Avaleous walks back to the group. "What is the plan?"

estradling
2009-09-30, 10:47 AM
Isell gives a slight smile at this, "Mission-wise the plan is to try to narrow down the location where these shards were found so we can seek out the source of such unusual event. It is my expectation to leave to look for the source first thing in the morning. That leaves us the rest of today to gather information and gear, as well as finalize our group arrangements." At this he pauses for a bit, "I probably should have done introductions much earlier, My name is Isell along with leading this group, I can call upon divine power to heal as well as other things, I do have quiet a bit lore available to me, but that might not be such a rare thing in this group if I am understanding correctly."

H Savvy
2009-09-30, 01:50 PM
"My name is Gryffe Stonehold," says the dwarf, bowing. "and glad I am tha we've all remembered our manners. So's to clear up any remaining confusion, I will accompany you on yer expedition, Master Isell, which we had near determined in all but formality. If't should conclude without decent profit, I shall think none th'less of you, but I may then listen to what our young mage d'Cannith here has t'say.

As for me, I'm a wandering philospher-warrior, though more by necessity than choice. I was never one much for the blood'n'guts of battle, but sad to say, existential curiosity doesn't put coin in yer purse or food in yer belly.

Still, I've learned a thing or two about tha universe in my travels, and I must say, life's been pretty fair to me. Rare was tha time I went cold or hungry for want of money."

LeoMidori
2009-09-30, 04:01 PM
Claymore was a little offput by the young mage of House Cannith; it wasn't that he didn't like him, or that he was nessicarily rude, but more out of he made the Warforged feel a bit strange in a way he couldn't quite place.

I'm a Cyran bladed infantry #51, but please call me Claymore if you wouldn't mind. I don't know much about magic or Dragonshards, but I'm excellent with my sword and I'm well manufactured in terms of structure..." he said, looking to Gantz who had pointed it out earlier. "I'm not certain of what help I'll be if there isn't any danger... but I don't have anything else to do at the moment, and maybe I could be of assistance anyway. Maybe I could at least carry some heavy things around for you, if you need me to."

AngelOmnipotent
2009-10-01, 06:37 AM
"Gantz Etwin." His short reply was all to evident of his new mood. If there was one emotion that Gantz had learned and perfected in his time it was getting angry. He particularly enjoyed the rush it gave him to be angry at someone or something, but he understood it so well that he never lost his temper. "What is a House representative doing in the middle of a small place such as this? Aren't you usually within your chambers mocking all the smaller people around you for sport?"

estradling
2009-10-01, 10:32 AM
Hearing Grantz speak, Isell feels the need to speak up, "Whoa whoa... I realize that people have history and there might be some class warfare issues in the group. But I need people who can work together, You don't have to like each other, but you got to be able to work with each other. I'd much rather take a smaller group, then risk a larger one that implodes on itself."

Isell wasn't stupid enough to think that resolved the issues they might have, but he did hope it would be enough to keep things at a reasonable level.

While talking his eyes got drawn back to the box of dragonshards. Among the shards was a small piece of plant, no more then a twig really. Isell picks it up and looks it over carefully. With a smile he says simply, "Gentlemen... we now have a destination."

H Savvy
2009-10-01, 10:22 PM
"Excellent," says Gryffe, a glint of tooth grinning through the wild tangle of his beard. "Is there aught else we need t'discuss at the moment, or have you said yer piece? Where and when shall we meet tomorrah?"

estradling
2009-10-02, 09:26 AM
"It's a few days travel from here, I'll see what I can do about horses and provisions for the trip, but I am not sure how far I can stretch things." The young man is clearly thinking more out loud then really talking."

Gryffe's question pops him out of it, "Oh yes I think we are done unless you guys have questions for me? Other then that how about we met back up outside this shop after breakfast?"

H Savvy
2009-10-02, 08:20 PM
"Very good, then," the dwarf says. "Tomorrow morning it is. I shall see you all here. And if any wish to catch a spot of breakfast with me beforehand, I'd be more'n pleased to have any of ye along."

LeoMidori
2009-10-04, 11:09 PM
Claymore simply shrugged, deciding to skip out on breakfast, it just seeming like a waste of time to him. I'd join, if I had a point to eating anything. If you don't mind, I'll stay here for now."

9+3 =12. Searching for books on the Mournland or The Day of Mourning.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-10-05, 06:21 AM
Gantz doesn't seem very interested in eating either, and he's not quite sure why himself. Maybe he was nervous with excitement with the prospect of seeing a deposit of Dragonshards? He wasn't sure - he'd never experienced it before. He'd only read about it.

He nods towards Claymore and decides to join him in his search.

Search: [roll0]

"Is this what you are looking for, at all?" Gantz hands him an older-looking-than-it-should-be book from one of the shelves on the other side of the store.

H Savvy
2009-10-06, 04:29 PM
Gryffe returns from his breakfast, patting his belly. There's a bit of food stuck in the moustache of his beard, and he notices just as he rejoins the group. "Oop, I've got egg on m'face." He grins as he surveys the rest of the group.

"Well, are we all set, then?"

estradling
2009-10-07, 10:16 AM
"I believe we are. Unless there has been some last minute things come up for someone?" Isell has packed up his gear and was ready to start their expedition

LeoMidori
2009-10-07, 07:19 PM
Claymore took the book from Gantz, looking the cover over curiously and flipping through it.

Before he could get involved in it, Isell and Gryffe seemed ready to go, so he simply took the book and slipped it into his backpack. "I'm ready to go... hey shopkeep, how much for the book?" he asked.

Mr DP
2009-10-07, 08:55 PM
Avaleous's smile faded from his face. He checked his sack to see if he had brought all of his gear. Everything was in it's place. "I am ready as well and will await direction."

H Savvy
2009-10-08, 05:12 PM
((Are we waiting for something? Also, is there an OOC thread I don't know about?))

AngelOmnipotent
2009-10-09, 06:15 AM
((No idea. FlamingKobold hasn't posted once yet :smallannoyed:))

Mr DP
2009-10-09, 06:27 AM
I guess I'll make one.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7085732#post7085732