PDA

View Full Version : Sunder the dragon!

BobVosh
2009-09-25, 06:48 AM
In one of my games I have a dedicated sunderer and I'm curious where the rules on hardness/HP for bone is. I remember seeing them somewhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-25, 06:56 AM
IMHO a good way is look to Hydra and Kraken. They have rules to cut away their body parts.

But.. Remember that D&D rules for HP are not so good for these maneuvers (even if some suggestion could have been appreciated - thank you designers).

Said this, for a freaking DRAGON, as a DM, I would make things for you HARDER than the two examples above - after all, we are talkning of scales, strong, muscular meat and then bone of a sort of winged dinosaur. :smallconfused:

Kurald Galain
2009-09-25, 07:02 AM
In Soviet Cormyr, Dragon Sunders You!

Johel
2009-09-25, 08:13 AM
In one of my games I have a dedicated sunderer and I'm curious where the rules on hardness/HP for bone is. I remember seeing them somewhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

There's one of the pdf on Crystal Keep that lists the various Hardness of materials and their hp per thickness.

EDIT :
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf
Page 47
Bone : Hardness 6, 10 hp per Inch
(or DMG p144)

Telonius
2009-09-25, 09:53 AM
In Soviet Cormyr, Dragon Sunders You!

... and this is why you should not try it. If it works for you, it works for the enemies, and you are significantly squishier than a Dragon.

Person_Man
2009-09-25, 10:10 AM
You can't Sunder a living being or his armor, even if he's undead or a construct. There are only a few exceptions to this, as others have noted (the Hydra).

taltamir
2009-09-25, 01:51 PM
are you planning on killing the dragon and THEN sundering parts of his body? Or in combat?
In combat you just can't do it.
After combat, there is no check, you just tell your DM "I hack out one of the bones as a trophy", get some weird looks, and you now have a trophy legbone in your backpack.

Cieyrin
2009-09-25, 02:08 PM
are you planning on killing the dragon and THEN sundering parts of his body? Or in combat?
In combat you just can't do it.
After combat, there is no check, you just tell your DM "I hack out one of the bones as a trophy", get some weird looks, and you now have a trophy legbone in your backpack.

But this is how you get dragonscale armor and other nifty dragon-enhanced items. Check your Draconomicon for details. Only available while supplies last.

taltamir
2009-09-25, 02:09 PM
But this is how you get dragonscale armor and other nifty dragon-enhanced items. Check your Draconomicon for details. Only available while supplies last.

well obviously, but he wanted a BONE...
Anyone who lets dragon scales go to waste is insane... that stuff makes good armor :)

Rasilak
2009-09-25, 02:27 PM
You can't Sunder a living being or his armor, even if he's undead or a construct. There are only a few exceptions to this, as others have noted (the Hydra).It might work if someone wields the dragon as a weapon, though. :smallcool:

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-25, 02:41 PM
It might work if someone wields the dragon as a weapon, though. :smallcool:

Epic Feat:

Dual Dragon Proficiency

Cieyrin
2009-09-25, 02:41 PM
well obviously, but he wanted a BONE...
Anyone who lets dragon scales go to waste is insane... that stuff makes good armor :)

Dragonbone bows come to mind...

EDIT:
Epic Feat:

Dual Dragon Proficiency

Double Dragon Proficiency would be better, so we can start pulling from old fighting games.:smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2009-09-25, 05:04 PM
Double Dragon Proficiency would be better, so we can start pulling from old fighting games.:smalltongue:

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the hierophant?

taltamir
2009-09-25, 07:13 PM
Epic Feat:

Dual Dragon Proficiency

prereqs: race: chuck norris

herrhauptmann
2009-09-25, 10:57 PM
Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the hierophant?

*Facepalm*
What game was that? "Are you bad enough to rescue the president?"

chiasaur11
2009-09-25, 11:02 PM
*Facepalm*
What game was that? "Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?"

Bad Dudes. Ronald Reagan was the president.

BobVosh
2009-09-26, 12:05 AM
I could have sworn somewhere went on about how you could sunder a dragons jaw and his wings. Well, I could just be crazy.

Trobby
2009-09-26, 12:16 AM
You might be able to get away with breaking a dragon's jaw, but that would probably be up to DM discretion.

Also, you guys took all the best Epic Feats. All I can get is Bubsy the Bobcat Proficiency. :smallfrown:

Faleldir
2009-09-26, 09:20 AM
I Sunder his component pouch. Both of them.

woodenbandman
2009-09-26, 10:12 AM
I had a limb-breaking system I worked out. I'll see if I can find it:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4183.0

Cieyrin
2009-09-26, 10:16 AM

The dragon has component pouches? It doesn't even wear clothes, where would it hang pouches on itself for casting?!?

Assassin89
2009-09-26, 10:18 AM

The dragon's vulnerables cannot be sundered, especially if said dragon is female.

taltamir
2009-09-26, 01:07 PM
I could have sworn somewhere went on about how you could sunder a dragons jaw and his wings. Well, I could just be crazy.

well, you can, its called "dealing enough HP damage for it to die"...
I sunder its heart, i sunder its hamstring, i sunder its eyes, i sunder its skull... basically you ARE trying to sunder its entire body, it is trying to avoid it, you are hitting the best most accessible place... and between the two of you , HP damage is done

Devilboy
2009-09-26, 09:10 PM
It might work if someone wields the dragon as a weapon, though. :smallcool:

Drunken Master with a lot of size buffs and the grab feats?

I am horrified by the potential of this. *grapples enemy to use as improvised weapon* *party member sunders enemy*

It's even better than the multigrab build with unlucky and extremely unlucky as flaws (just for fun) to abuse the line of text 'if you roll a natural 1 on an attack with an improvised weapon, the weapon breaks and becomes useless.' from drunken master....now your mates can SNAP the enemies you grab if you fail to fail enough.

Volkov
2009-09-26, 09:12 PM

Use a directed gamma ray burst in a bottle, that should kill the body part, and everything else on the planet as the atmosphere ignites and everyone that survived that dies from radiation poisoning and the sun's rays pouring in.

taltamir
2009-09-27, 01:18 AM
Drunken Master with a lot of size buffs and the grab feats?

I am horrified by the potential of this. *grapples enemy to use as improvised weapon* *party member sunders enemy*

It's even better than the multigrab build with unlucky and extremely unlucky as flaws (just for fun) to abuse the line of text 'if you roll a natural 1 on an attack with an improvised weapon, the weapon breaks and becomes useless.' from drunken master....now your mates can SNAP the enemies you grab if you fail to fail enough.

Epic!
This deserves an award. Have a cookie