PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 spell] Prestidigitation for illusions.

deuxhero
2009-09-25, 09:07 AM
Wondering if I messed anything up

Glamor
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

Once cast Glamor allows you to preform simple magical effects for 1 hour. As long as the spell lasts you may create simple images as a free action. These images may last a maximum of 6 seconds (but may be repeated each round) and are obviously fake and look crude and artificial with a limited (OOC:"Technicolor") palette. The created images may be no larger than the head of an average humanoid of your size.

examples
Create a fire in your hand (does not provided light or heat).
Accent words with visuals, for example, when saying " a hot knife though butter" may add a knife cutting through butter.

I also just noticed Prestidigitation has no action given once cast. Is there a rule (such as a mention that "unless specified" an x action is needed) for dealing with that?

ericgrau
2009-09-25, 09:29 AM
The 6 second duration of effects, but letting them be repeatable, is awkward. The general terminology for this is "Any effect created remains only as long as you concentrate." "Glamer" is also a type of illusion quite different from a figment, so that may cause confusion. You may want to change the name.

Once cast prestidigitation is a standard action to create further effects. Concentrating each round is also a standard action btw. You might want to convert your spell to match. It's not incredibly powerful even as a free action, but that might be exploitable and this is just a cantrip.

Otherwise the spell is solid (well, not literally).

deuxhero
2009-09-25, 11:56 AM
Perhaps the planar slang of "finger paints" could be a better name?

Sudduth
2009-09-25, 02:23 PM
Perhaps the planar slang of "finger paints" could be a better name?

Do you know that the slang is?

deuxhero
2009-09-25, 03:07 PM
A negative statement of the power of magic, particularly illusions. Level 0 illusions would fit.

DracoDei
2009-09-25, 03:38 PM
I do believe Prestidigitation can already do all this... or if not, it should be able to...

Baron Corm
2009-09-25, 07:25 PM
Since this is a free action, you could technically create an unlimited number of head-sized spheres (appearance doesn't matter) in a 10 foot radius, effectively making every creature within 10 feet blind. How about a swift action?

deuxhero
2009-09-25, 07:27 PM
Or "at a time"?

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-26, 03:22 AM
I do believe Prestidigitation can already do all this... or if not, it should be able to...

I specifically used Prestidigitation th first time because I wanted to amuse some random crowd b snapping my fingers and my thumb seeming to catch fire. I always figured this was part of the Prestidigitation spell.