PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a god (D&D 3.5)

Trodon
2009-09-25, 09:51 AM
I was wondering, Is it possible to become a god? If so how? Any build, any book, etc. etc. D&D 3.5

Yora
2009-09-25, 10:00 AM
Becoming a god just by using the rules would probably require the pun-pun build.

Otherwise, most settings assume that you have to get a considerable number of worshipers at first. Then you either become a god automatically, or you need to get some divine spark to get your own divinity going. Either by getting sponsored of a more powerful deity who decides to make you a god, or by killing another god and taking his divinity.

Trodon
2009-09-25, 10:04 AM
Becoming a god just by using the rules would probably require the pun-pun build.

Otherwise, most settings assume that you have to get a considerable number of worshipers at first. Then you either become a god automatically, or you need to get some divine spark to get your own divinity going. Either by getting sponsored of a more powerful deity who decides to make you a god, or by killing another god and taking his divinity.

Hm... I'll have to read up on that, thanks. Now I wonder what is the most effective way to get worshipers.

Mongoose87
2009-09-25, 10:05 AM
Hm... I'll have to read up on that, thanks. Now I wonder what is the most effective way to get worshipers.

Performing miracles helps.

Trodon
2009-09-25, 10:14 AM
Performing miracles helps.

It dose, now to make a character that becomes a god, if there are any more suggestions feel free to post them.

Arundel
2009-09-25, 10:20 AM
Isn't there some prestige class that grants a divine rank upon its completion?

Edit:
Here we go, the Divine Ascendant (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Divine_Ascendant_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)). Now good luck getting that ok'd by a DM.

Trodon
2009-09-25, 10:21 AM
Isn't there some prestige class that grants a divine rank upon its completion?

There is the Dragon Ascendant from Draconmicon page 90 but that's at level 42.

Edit: Just looked it up it doesn't grand a divine rank just immortality from natural causes and is called a "quasi-deity" But that's it.

Edit 2:Oh that's cool thanks.

t_catt11
2009-09-25, 10:29 AM
I don't care how powerful you are - in no game that I run can a PC just "become" a deity. There must be sponsorship by some greater deity.

As for PCs that kill deities... please. I know that is canon in Forgotten Realms, but my personal "old codger" opinion is that any self-respecting deity should be unkillable by any mortal, no matter how well they min-max.

Glass Mouse
2009-09-25, 10:34 AM
It dose, now to make a character that becomes a god, if there are any more suggestions fell free to post them.

Pretty sure that depends on which kind of god you want to be :smalltongue:

Good?
Go the hero route, become extremely powerful. Then stop adventuring for xp and gold, and devote all your energy to performing "miracles" (stop famines, bring water to the thirsty, Cure Disease, etc.) - Remember, in D&D magic enables you to do anthing that [insert random religious prophet-y type from RL here] could, and do it better.
Chaotic? After helping people, mention that "oh btw, I'm this new lesser god but it's cool - call me, and I'll drop by again, 'k? See ya!"

Evil?
Conquer a country, destroy all existing temples and demand that people start worshipping you as a god. Then expand your territory.
(problem of course being that evil gods might not like the competition and would likely try to stop you once they pick up on what you're doing).

Trodon
2009-09-25, 10:52 AM
Pretty sure that depends on which kind of god you want to be :smalltongue:

Good?
Go the hero route, become extremely powerful. Then stop adventuring for xp and gold, and devote all your energy to performing "miracles" (stop famines, bring water to the thirsty, Cure Disease, etc.) - Remember, in D&D magic enables you to do anthing that [insert random religious prophet-y type from RL here] could, and do it better.
Chaotic? After helping people, mention that "oh btw, I'm this new lesser god but it's cool - call me, and I'll drop by again, 'k? See ya!"

Evil?
Conquer a country, destroy all existing temples and demand that people start worshipping you as a god. Then expand your territory.
(problem of course being that evil gods might not like the competition and would likely try to stop you once they pick up on what you're doing).

heh, Yeah got to be careful with those evil gods, or you can convince them that you would help them... that would be hard.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-25, 11:38 AM
Easy worshipper route:
1. Take Leadership
2. Take Epic Leadership
3. Order them to Worship you
4. ???
5. ASCENSION!!!

With a good Leadership score you can get enough people to hit Lesser Deity territory.

Be prepared for a boatload of roleplaying and at least 1 quest which you'll need to convince the rest of the party to go on (hope you've been saving up :smalltongue:).

taltamir
2009-09-25, 01:54 PM
Easy worshipper route:
1. Take Leadership
2. Take Epic Leadership
3. Order them to Worship you
4. ???
5. ASCENSION!!!

With a good Leadership score you can get enough people to hit Lesser Deity territory.

Be prepared for a boatload of roleplaying and at least 1 quest which you'll need to convince the rest of the party to go on (hope you've been saving up :smalltongue:).

by the raw, gods of divinity under 20 benefit from worshipers (even 0 divinity ones; which is different than a non god who has NO divinity score at all).
But a mortal will not become a god via being worshiped. Anyways the rules say that noone can become a god without the explicitly approval of a divinity 20+ god (divinity 20+ gods have no worshipers, and need none, they are beyond the concerns of this world)