PDA

View Full Version : DnD Question

overlordFT
2009-09-25, 04:23 PM
I've seen some level 1 characters with funnily high ability scores, and I have a question.

Do you add the "Abil mod + 1/2 lvl" bit to your total score? Thanks :D

Thajocoth
2009-09-25, 04:34 PM
I've seen some level 1 characters with funnily high ability scores, and I have a question.

If you add your ability mod to your ability scores, you'd have ridiculousness:

Example: 20 int means int mod of 5. -> 25 int -> int mod of 7 -> 27 int -> int mod of 8 -> 28 int -> int mod of 9 -> 29 int.

That's cyclical and makes no sense.

Level 1 4th ed characters have a maximum starting ability score of 20 for anything. 4th ed uses mod + half level for things, like attack bonuses.

Older editions don't really use 1/2 level, but your ability scores can start far more skewed from large racial bonuses.

I think you're crossing editions in what you're seeing/your thought process somewhere...

overlordFT
2009-09-25, 05:08 PM
If you add your ability mod to your ability scores, you'd have ridiculousness:

Example: 20 int means int mod of 5. -> 25 int -> int mod of 7 -> 27 int -> int mod of 8 -> 28 int -> int mod of 9 -> 29 int.

That's cyclical and makes no sense.

Level 1 4th ed characters have a maximum starting ability score of 20 for anything. 4th ed uses mod + half level for things, like attack bonuses.

Older editions don't really use 1/2 level, but your ability scores can start far more skewed from large racial bonuses.

I think you're crossing editions in what you're seeing/your thought process somewhere...

Eh, I get quite a lot of info from the net, so I could probably read things with different edition info. That as well as the fact I read 3.5 and 4 books at the same time.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-25, 05:16 PM
18 is the highest base you can have (in 3.5), and getting a +2 racial mod to the ability that you favor most is both (usually) easy and (very) desirable (though often less so than the human bonus feat). Getting more than +2 is very difficult without LA.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-25, 05:18 PM

To what total score?

If you're making an attack, you do roll 1d20, add the ability mod and half your level, and whatever bonuses you may get from your weapon or circumstances. The attack hits if the resulting score is equal to or higher than your opponent's AC. Is that what you mean?

In general you add ability mod plus half level to most of your 1d20 rolls, and to none of your other rolls.

(edit) assuming you're talking about 4th edition D&D, that is - but that's the only game I can think of where the term "half your level" is relevant.

overlordFT
2009-09-25, 05:20 PM
To what total score?

If you're making an attack, you do roll 1d20, add the ability mod and half your level, and whatever bonuses you may get from your weapon or circumstances. The attack hits if the resulting score is equal to or higher than your opponent's AC. Is that what you mean?

In general you add ability mod plus half level to most of your 1d20 rolls, and to none of your other rolls.

Thanks, but I already knew that. :smallsmile: I think I just got a bit confused :smalleek:

EDIT: Oh, my total score I meant my ability total score.