PDA

View Full Version : Mind Flayer Dietary Oddities

CockroachTeaParty
2009-09-25, 05:54 PM
I'm running an all-mind flayer game these days, and we're beginning to plan a jolly good brain raid.

Some questions have come up, however...

Can illithids eat the brains of outsiders? Could they go hunting in the Abyss, for example, or Celestia? Does a demon, devil, or angel have a brain that would satisfy an illithid? Do outsiders even have internal organs, or are they made up primarily of soul-stuff?

I think they have organs... angel blood, demon skin, devil eyes, etc. But would an illithid gain psionic sustenance?

Anyone more learned in the lore of the outer planes would be much appreciated for their input.

kwanzaabot
2009-09-25, 06:15 PM
I'm no expert, but here's how I'd do it:

Extraplanar beings on their native plane would be made of soul-stuff, but if they were on the material plane, they'd have to adapt to the "rules" of that world (ie. corporeal beings need organs and the like to actually function- the only exception I'd make would be Elementals, which are basically living magic IMO).

However, a Mind Flayer on the Outer Planes would also be made of soul-stuff, rather than flesh and blood, so they'd be able to sap the psychic energy directly from the source (a demon's mind, for example), without having to necessarily eat their brain.

Or, in short, yeah, go ahead. :smallwink:

But hey, that's just me. Someone who knows/cares more about the published flavour text might be able to give you a more acceptable answer. Me? I'm more of a "just take the rules, and make up pretty much everything else" kind of guy.

TheDarkDM
2009-09-25, 06:24 PM
Well, considering the potency of a brain is governed by the experiences of the organism, and ousiders are effectively immortal, I'd treat an outsider's brain as similar to Fugu - an entirely unique experience that has a chance of killing you. However, since you don't prepare a brain, I'd rule that the percentage of deadly "meals" would be much higher than 1 in 11.

Solaris
2009-09-25, 06:31 PM
I seem to recall a book of fiends describing the anatomy of a demon (albeit it was fairly nonsensical anatomy... because it was a creature of pure Evil and Chaos). I'd have to say that, even on their home-planes, Outsiders have organs and suchlike. After all, they're subject to critical hits.

deuxhero
2009-09-25, 07:26 PM
I recall at least one spell that requires an outsiders brain (may have been homebrew though, not sure) with a specific int or higher, so yes, they have brains.

Volkov
2009-09-25, 07:32 PM
Outsiders do in fact have brains, a dissected dretch clearly has it's purple brain showing.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-09-25, 09:44 PM
Hmm... It might depend on the outsider, though. Tanar'i are based off of more 'real' anatomy than obyriths, for example. And most denizens of Mechanus probably have no organs. A slaad might have a tuba for a brain.

Well, I suppose I'll have to approach it on a case-by-case basis. Thanks for the suggestions!

Keld Denar
2009-09-25, 10:15 PM
I think the coolest thing about Illithid is performance eating! Seriously, when you find a truely unique brain, only one Mind Flayer can munch it. So they gather everyone up in an auditorium, on the stage is a table with a hole in the top. All of the Illithid in the room link minds, and then one lucky Flayer slurps it up! The sensations are broadcasted to the others so that they can enjoy the experience vicariously.

The whole concept is just so awesome!

Solaris
2009-09-25, 10:31 PM
Hm. That gives me an idea about the Sylarthid.

PirateMonk
2009-09-25, 11:06 PM
I recall at least one spell that requires an outsiders brain (may have been homebrew though, not sure) with a specific int or higher, so yes, they have brains.

The Giant's Terrible Secret and Terrible Revelation (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/STcFi6l45eoAbaxiYPn.html) spells both require the brain of an outsider.

imperialspectre
2009-09-25, 11:23 PM
Hm. That gives me an idea about the Sylarthid.

That's...actually a PrC. Illithid Savant. Possibly the most broken PrC in the game, as it's essentially Pun-Pun-in-a-box.

taltamir
2009-09-26, 04:18 AM
if i am not mistaken, mind flayers are magically transformed from human/oids. Originally created with magic, they have spawning pools that create little "worms"... that if placed in a human (I think ONLY human) will eat their way to its brain,transform the body, oh, and become the tentacles. Very neat (and horrible) overall.

deuxhero
2009-09-26, 11:03 AM
The Giant's Terrible Secret and Terrible Revelation (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/STcFi6l45eoAbaxiYPn.html) spells both require the brain of an outsider.

Ok, that is where I saw it, so not canon.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-26, 11:22 AM
That's...actually a PrC. Illithid Savant. Possibly the most broken PrC in the game, as it's essentially Pun-Pun-in-a-box.

Dear god the Illithid Savant. I'm in a Level 30 Gestalt game, and that PrC still managed to be overpowered.

deuxhero
2009-09-26, 09:33 PM
What makes it so overpowered and where is it from?

Keld Denar
2009-09-26, 10:53 PM
The ability to absorb and emulate ANY ability ever printed EVER...including, IIRC, Salient Divine Abilities.

Thats just lulz....

Olo Demonsbane
2009-09-27, 12:43 AM
I discovered limited Pun-Pun before learning that Grease is a good spell...:smalleek:

kestrel404
2009-09-27, 09:39 AM
I'd pretty much rule that anything that is vulnerable to crits has a brain - or at least a distinguishable central nervous system that can be eaten by a mindflayer.

Cieyrin
2009-09-27, 09:56 AM
I'd pretty much rule that anything that is vulnerable to crits has a brain - or at least a distinguishable central nervous system that can be eaten by a mindflayer.

Poor illithids, forced to eat distinguishable central nervous systems instead of real brains. It's like eating Chinese for us humans: filling now but you're hungry a few hours later.

taltamir
2009-09-27, 02:42 PM
Poor illithids, forced to eat distinguishable central nervous systems instead of real brains. It's like eating Chinese for us humans: filling now but you're hungry a few hours later.

I am hungry a few hours later no matter what i eat

taltamir
2009-09-27, 02:43 PM
The ability to absorb and emulate ANY ability ever printed EVER...including, IIRC, Salient Divine Abilities.

Thats just lulz....

that sounds almost like pun pun... not quite, but still.

Lord Loss
2009-10-03, 07:30 AM
I only just noticed this is a dead thread. I apologize for posting and hope this does not qualify as thread necromancy

BobVosh
2009-10-03, 07:39 AM
I only just noticed this is a dead thread. I apologize for posting and hope this does not qualify as thread necromancy

Thread necromancy is 3 months old and more than 10 pages back. You are fine.

Lord Loss
2009-10-03, 07:47 AM
Oh... Right then. (Thank You!)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-10-03, 10:22 AM
Finally a forum that takes thread necromancy for the true affront it is! :smallcool:

But yes Illithid Savant is like -OMG mode in DotA.... except you play against regular heroes. (oh, I guess that makes it formless mode then huh?)