PDA

View Full Version : I Think I'd Really Like Kingdom Hearts

Tequila Sunrise
2009-09-25, 06:43 PM
...if I could watch it in film form, rather than actually play through it. I admit, I suck at real-time games and I don't have the time or the patience to get good. Plus, I just feel like I'm wasting time impressing Danny DeVito in faun form, running around with Tarzan (although it is somewhat amusing to smash boxes against his head) and whatever other bogus characters and irritating side-quests the game makes me go through.

Does anyone know where I could watch just the story-oriented scenes? Perhaps on Youtube or Dailymotion?

Sneak
2009-09-25, 06:57 PM
Not sure. But KH is a pretty easy game...it shouldn't be too hard to get through it. And it's fun.

Teln
2009-09-25, 07:49 PM
If you want to watch a movie, go play MGS4.

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-25, 07:50 PM
I love that franchise so much even though its basically everything I hate about JRPGs rolled into one package. I don't know why? Is it because it's Disney? Is it because the real time combat makes it fun? I have no idea. But I still love it.

I'm guessing you could find some of the cutscenes on Youtube, but I'm not entirely sure.

Artanis
2009-09-25, 07:57 PM
...if I could watch it in film form, rather than actually play through it. I admit, I suck at real-time games and I don't have the time or the patience to get good. Plus, I just feel like I'm wasting time impressing Danny DeVito in faun form, running around with Tarzan (although it is somewhat amusing to smash boxes against his head) and whatever other bogus characters and irritating side-quests the game makes me go through.

Does anyone know where I could watch just the story-oriented scenes? Perhaps on Youtube or Dailymotion?

You should try Kingdom Hearts 2. Huge chunks of it might as well be interactive movies, and most of the fights that mean anything boil down to hitting the triangle button at the right time.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-09-25, 08:43 PM
Not sure. But KH is a pretty easy game...it shouldn't be too hard to get through it. And it's fun.
You don't understand: I'm really bad. You know how you learn fastest and best when you're a kid because you're in that special developmental stage of life? Well I didn't have video games as a kid, so I never learned that gamer intuition thing that gamers tend to take for granted.

You should try Kingdom Hearts 2. Huge chunks of it might as well be interactive movies, and most of the fights that mean anything boil down to hitting the triangle button at the right time.
For example I suspect in KH2 I'd end up hitting the button at the wrong time, and not understanding what I'm doing wrong. A thousand times in a row. Ever played that Final Fantasy game with Vaan? I went through that entire game without using a single successful quickening because I couldn't figure out when the hel I was supposed to press which buttons. I've had several people explain that the directions are right on the screen, but I JUST. DON'T. GET. IT. ARGH! Not that I'm bitter or anything. :smallfurious:

I love that franchise so much even though its basically everything I hate about JRPGs rolled into one package.
What do you hate about Joke (?) RPGs?

If you want to watch a movie, go play MGS4.
Um...More Gratuitous Sex IV?

SilentDragoon
2009-09-25, 08:54 PM
Sigh.. because its the internet and I can't really tell whether its sarcasm or not, MGS4 is the game Metal Gear Solid 4 and JRPG is Japanese Role Playing Game (primarily the Final Fantasy Series and other SquareEnix products). I'm one of the twitchy'ish people who grew up with video games, and I never got beyond maybe 3 in a row on the quickening chains in FF12. Those were rather excessive, and you won't even approach anything requiring that kind of reflexes in KH2 beyond maybe the optional boss Sephiroth or a few bosses on Hard (that blighter from the second go round of Beauty and the Beast).

Forever Curious
2009-09-25, 09:35 PM
Sigh.. because its the internet and I can't really tell whether its sarcasm or not, MGS4 is the game Metal Gear Solid 4 and JRPG is Japanese Role Playing Game (primarily the Final Fantasy Series and other SquareEnix products). I'm one of the twitchy'ish people who grew up with video games, and I never got beyond maybe 3 in a row on the quickening chains in FF12. Those were rather excessive, and you won't even approach anything requiring that kind of reflexes in KH2 beyond maybe the optional boss Sephiroth or a few bosses on Hard (that blighter from the second go round of Beauty and the Beast).

I hated that bugger too.

...just saying.

Zevox
2009-09-25, 09:54 PM
JRPG is Japanese Role Playing Game (primarily the Final Fantasy Series and other SquareEnix products).
Er, no, there are far more JRPGs than merely Final Fantasy and Square-Enix games. Final Fantasy and related Squaresoft/Square-Enix games are just the only ones that're widely popular in the US. Hell, JRPGs are pretty much my favorite genre, and yet I don't particularly like the Final Fantasy series, and the only Squaresoft game similar to it that I do like is Chrono Trigger.

(If you want to get picky, I am a big fan of Dragon Quest, which is now a Square-Enix series, but it was done by Enix alone for most of its life, and hasn't become any more like Final Fantasy since the merger, so its pretty much unrelated in spite of being owned by the same company now.)

Anyway, on-topic... uh, well, I guess you could go find the story scenes on youtube if you wanted. They're probably there - actually, you could probably find videos of someone playing through the whole game, if you looked. Personally though, for that series, I wasn't impressed by the story. It was okay, albeit only okay, while it was sticking mostly to the Disney crossover stuff during most of the first game, but when they tried inserting more original content from about the point of the battle with Maleficent onward, it got steadily more confusing and less interesting. I pretty much played it for the gameplay only from that point out. Good enough games in that regard I'd say.

Zevox

SilentDragoon
2009-09-25, 10:01 PM
Er, no, there are far more JRPGs than merely Final Fantasy and Square-Enix games. Final Fantasy and related Squaresoft/Square-Enix games are just the only ones that're widely popular in the US. Hell, JRPGs are pretty much my favorite genre, and yet I don't particularly like the Final Fantasy series, and the only Squaresoft game similar to it that I do like is Chrono Trigger.

(If you want to get picky, I am a big fan of Dragon Quest, which is now a Square-Enix series, but it was done by Enix alone for most of its life, and hasn't become any more like Final Fantasy since the merger, so its pretty much unrelated in spite of being owned by the same company now.)

I recognize that. I was merely giving FF as the primary examples, not as the sole worthwhile bits of the genre or some other drooling fanboyism. And while I like Dragon Quest 8 as well as the Final Fantasy series, I do wish that a wider variety of JRPGs would be as easily available as the nameless shooters that crowd the shelves.
Fully agreed on the story, I played 2 before I played any of 1, and I had roughly no idea what was going on until well into the second half of the game. Tried playing KH1, I haven't gotten too far yet (stuck on pirate boat fighting a shadow or summat).

Edit the fifth: Looking on youtube, someone named Resobaso did a hundredish part walkthrough on KH1 that shows all the movies, if you're ok with him talking over everything. Searching "Kingdom Hearts LP" or "Kingdom Hearts Walkthrough" should get you what you're looking for.

Zevox
2009-09-25, 10:19 PM
I recognize that. I was merely giving FF as the primary examples, not as the sole worthwhile bits of the genre or some other drooling fanboyism.
Ah, all right. From the way you phrased it ("primarily the Final Fantasy Series and other SquareEnix products") I though you meant to imply that was the primary series of a small genre.

Fully agreed on the story, I played 2 before I played any of 1, and I had roughly no idea what was going on until well into the second half of the game. Tried playing KH1, I haven't gotten too far yet (stuck on pirate boat fighting a shadow or summat).
Oh yeah, 2 was quite bad in that area. I played 1 before it, and even had some idea of the events that took place between them (which occurred in a GBA game, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, that I played partway through before I got a PS2 and the other 2 games), and yet I still had no clue what was going on for much of the beginning of the game, and even when I had some clue, the whole thing rarely made any real sense. Hell, even in retrospect, having completed both games and looked up the rest of the story of Chain of Memories on Wikipedia, it still doesn't fully make sense...

Zevox

Vic_Sage
2009-09-25, 11:21 PM
Ah, all right. From the way you phrased it ("primarily the Final Fantasy Series and other SquareEnix products") I though you meant to imply that was the primary series of a small genre.

Oh yeah, 2 was quite bad in that area. I played 1 before it, and even had some idea of the events that took place between them (which occurred in a GBA game, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, that I played partway through before I got a PS2 and the other 2 games), and yet I still had no clue what was going on for much of the beginning of the game, and even when I had some clue, the whole thing rarely made any real sense. Hell, even in retrospect, having completed both games and looked up the rest of the story of Chain of Memories on Wikipedia, it still doesn't fully make sense...

Zevox
Two was pretty bad from a story standpoint. Especially with the horrible job they did with making the Nobodies bad guys *I'm honestly still trying to figure out whats so bad about them wiping out the Heartless and becoming Human again*

Kris Strife
2009-09-26, 01:07 AM
Two was pretty bad from a story standpoint. Especially with the horrible job they did with making the Nobodies bad guys *I'm honestly still trying to figure out whats so bad about them wiping out the Heartless and becoming Human again*

I think its cause they were creating more heartless in order to have enough hearts to make an artificial kingdom hearts.

Jibar
2009-09-26, 01:37 AM
There's also the fact that Xemnas isn't doing this at all and only wants power, and most of the Nobodies use pretty heartless means to get these hearts; see Xaldin trying to turn the Beast into a Heartless.

358/2 Days will explore a lot further into the Organisation and its motives (having already read some plot analysis it's pretty good about this, but Xion's story is a load of crap).

Also, like many people I too love Kingdom Hearts while I hate JRPGs.
They're simple, easy to play, and entertaining and fun while having deeper levels to them for anyone willing to invest the time.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-26, 02:02 AM
I think its cause they were creating more heartless in order to have enough hearts to make an artificial kingdom hearts.
But they were going to ultimately destroy the heartless thus sending back all the hearts they took. And 358/2 Days is good except for the Xion stuff. And 2 would've been alot better if Roxas was the MC during the whole game *And if Auron and Beast replaced Goofy & Donald but that's just me*

Tequila Sunrise
2009-09-26, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info; I can be a bit snarky when people assume I know shorthands.

Enlong
2009-09-26, 04:35 PM
But they were going to ultimately destroy the heartless thus sending back all the hearts they took.

When did they say that? And could they do that anyway? Roxas was gone and the other Keybladers did not want to wirk with them.

Besides, I really don't think that really makes up for crap like setting Heartless loose in cities, cursing Jack again, heartlessifying one of China's guardian dragons, trying to wreck The Beast's life, etc.