PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul Errata?

Zovc
2009-09-25, 08:37 PM
I'm looking at the Favored Soul in the Complete Divine. I'm seeing casting based on Charisma, but saves based on Wisdom. Is it supposed to be charisma? >.>

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-25, 08:38 PM
Nope, it is entirely accurate. It's in fact a balancing mechanism.

KellKheraptis
2009-09-25, 08:39 PM
I'm looking at the Favored Soul in the Complete Divine. I'm seeing casting based on Charisma, but saves based on Wisdom. Is it supposed to be charisma? >.>

As I recall, that is correct. Play it like a DMM cleric pumping both, and snag Sacred Exorcist, and you'll never even feel the MAD :)

Zovc
2009-09-25, 08:41 PM
Nope, it is entirely accurate. It's in fact a balancing mechanism.

Do you think I'll "break the game" if I let a first level Favored Soul use Cha for Save DCs? Campaign shouldn't reach level 4.

tyckspoon
2009-09-25, 08:42 PM
No, the Sorcerer casting progression and spells known limit takes care of it pretty well.

taltamir
2009-09-25, 08:43 PM
As I recall, that is correct. Play it like a DMM cleric pumping both, and snag Sacred Exorcist, and you'll never even feel the MAD :)

what is sacred excorcist, and what book is it from?

KellKheraptis
2009-09-25, 08:45 PM

A PrC from Complete Divine that gives Turn Undead with it's first class level.

Eldariel
2009-09-25, 08:46 PM

Prestige class from Complete Divine that grants Turn Undead as its most prominent feature; accessible to arcane & divine casters, and quite easily at that. Medium BAB too; a standard finish in Sorcadins.

Zovc
2009-09-25, 08:55 PM
On the topic of the Favored Soul, is there anything I could give the player at level 2 to make them feel like they actually GOT something at that level? Sure, +1 to every save is nice, but it doesn't make you feel like you can do anything more.

sonofzeal
2009-09-25, 09:08 PM
On the topic of the Favored Soul, is there anything I could give the player at level 2 to make them feel like they actually GOT something at that level? Sure, +1 to every save is nice, but it doesn't make you feel like you can do anything more.
Eh, +1 to all saves, +1 BAB, the ability to claim skill synergy bonuses.... that's more than Fighters get at a lot of levels. Don't worry about it.

Glimbur
2009-09-26, 10:13 AM
What should have been errata'd and wasn't is that the Favored Soul doesn't have Knowledge:Religion on their skill list.

Thrawn183
2009-09-26, 10:16 AM
Fluff wise it makes sense. These aren't people who have studied religion. These are people who were walking around when one day some deity decided to give them awesome powers.

In terms of doing what they need to do as a member of the party/being able to qualify for prestige classes? Yeah, it kind of hurts.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-26, 10:34 AM
Eh, +1 to all saves, +1 BAB, the ability to claim skill synergy bonuses.... that's more than Fighters get at a lot of levels. Don't worry about it.

Plus more spells. Sorcerers get less than that and they don't complain.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-26, 12:15 PM
A PrC from Complete Divine that gives Turn Undead with it's first class level.

For those who can meet the Entry Requirements. If it has K: Religion for Entry Requirements (and it should, IIRC), the Favored Soul can't enter it that early.

What should have been errata'd and wasn't is that the Favored Soul doesn't have Knowledge:Religion on their skill list.

Agreed.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-26, 12:27 PM

1 Class skill from a skill that fits the God?
Like Know (Religion) or any skill that makes thematic sense:
a. Kord grants Climb, Swim, Jump, etc.
b. Thief God grants Move silent, Hide, Open lock, etc

So an extra class skill is always useful.

Nero24200
2009-09-26, 02:14 PM
The favoured soul isn't really underpowering, it's just not as powerful as the standard cleric. But then again, the cleric is one of the most powerful classes in the game, so a toned-down version isn't exactly going to be unsatisfying to play unless one of the other PC's just happens to be a cleric.