PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Celtic Druid [PEACH]

dragonfan6490
2009-09-25, 11:38 PM
Howdy fellow Playgrounders!

Since I have not been satisfied with the Standard Druid found in the Player's Handbook, as it seems to me to be more of what one would think of a Shaman, I have taken it upon myself to try my hand at homebrewing. I have tried to make this Druid be truer to the traditional Celtic Druid. Of course, I have taken some libraties with it, but I've tried to make it as balanced as I can.

This is not a Druid Fix, it is a whole new Druid as the PHB Druid has been renamed Shaman in my Campaign Setting.

This Druid is a primary caster, casting spells dealing with weather, enchantment, some illusion, divination, and the elemental forces. I have gotten rid of both wild shape and the animal companion, as I feel they don't synch well with a Celtic Druid, who is the wise man or woman, with great knowledge on all subjects and in tune with the spirits of nature.

Hit Dice: d6

Class Skills
The druid’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (all) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha) Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

BAB: Poor
Fort Save: Poor
Ref Save: Poor
Will Save: Good

Class Features

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with armor of any kind.

Spells: A druid casts divine spells, which are drawn from the druid spell list. To prepare or cast a spell, the druid must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a druid’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the druid’s Wisdom modifier. Like other spellcasters, a druid can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score. A druid does not need to prepare and cast spells the way a cleric does. A druid may cast any spell on the druid spell list spontaneously as a Warmage.

Druidic Knowledge: As Bardic Knowledge

Nature Sense (Ex): A 1st level druid gains a +2 bonus on all Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks. This bonus increases to +4 at 10th level, and +6 at 20th level.

Wild Empathy (Ex): A 3rd level druid can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The druid rolls 1d20 and adds her druid level and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use wild empathy, the druid and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. A druid can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a -4 penalty on the check.

Brew Potion: At 3rd level, a druid gets Brew Potion as a bonus feat.

Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a druid may move through any sort of natural undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.

Resist Nature’s Power (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a druid gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of elementals, fey and elemental creatures. This bonus increases to +4 at 12th level and to +6 at 20th level.

Bonus Feats: At 5th level and every five levels after a Druid gains a bonus feat to be used on item crafting feats, metamagic feats, or other spellcasting feats.

Nature Friend (Su): Starting at 6th level, animals and vermin must make Will saves (DC 10 + 1/2 the druid's class level + druid's Cha modifier) each round in order to attack the druid. At 10th level, this ability also affects fey and plants. At 14th level, it affects both beasts and magical beasts, and at 18th level it also affects elementals. If the druid threatens the creature in any way or damages it, they no longer need to make a will save to attack.
Percipience: Starting at 8th level, a Druid can see and hear nature spirits normally imperceptible to mortals. The character finds this ability disconcerting at first, because it makes him realize how pervasive spirits are: They are everywhere, all the time—although only rarely do they
pay attention to the actions of mortals. Druids sometimes become alerted to danger when the nature spirits of an area are upset or absent.

Incredible Memory: At 9th level, a Druid gains the ability to recall information with incredible accuracy. This ability gives the Druid a +4 circumstance bonus to all Knowledge Checks, including Druidic Knowledge.

One With Nature (Su): At 20th level, the druid is constantly under effects of detect animals and plants, hide from animals, and speak with animals and plants as the spells with the same name, with a caster level equal to the druids level.

Spells-I apologize in advance for the spells not being in alphabetical order.

Level 0: Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Guidance, Know Direction, Purify Food and Drink, Resistance, Light, Virtue, Daze, Ghost Sound, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Arcane Mark, Lullaby SpC: Dawn, Nature Watch

Level 1: Obscuring Mist, Charm Person, Chill Touch, Bless, Remove Fear, Sleep, True Strike, Identify, Calm Animals, Magic Weapon, Burning Hands, Cure Light Wounds, Entangle, Sanctuary, Endure Elements, Produce Flame, Good Berry, Detect Animals or Plants, Pass without Trace, Charm Animal, Cause Fear, Hypnotism, Morgana’s Magic Aura, Obscure Object, Bane, Doom, Faerie Fire, Shillelagh, Feather Fall SpC: Healthful Rest, Delay Disease, Omen of Peril, Slow Burn CA: Hail of Stone, Melt

Level 2: Fog Cloud, Heat Metal, Bark Skin, Aid, Cure Moderate Wounds, Detect Thoughts, Soften Earth and Stone, Hold Animal, Wind Wall, Gust of Wind, Augury, Invisibility, Chill Metal, Calm Emotions, Delay Poison, Animal Messenger, Animal Trance, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Warp Wood, Blindness/Deafness, Cat’s Grace, Eagle’s Splendor, Fox’s Cunning, Bull’s Strength, Bear’s Endurance, Owl’s Wisdom, Glitterdust, Hold Person, Remove Paralysis, Whispering Wind, Daze Monster, Scorching Ray SpC: Know Vulnerabilitis, Easy Trail, One with the Land, Winter’s Embrace, Blast of Force, Fire Burst, Wracking Touch CA: Fire Blast

Level 3: Suggestion, Sleet Storm, Prayer, Cloak of Bravery, Deep Slumber, Bestow Curse, Divination, Call Lightning, Discern Lies, Stone Shape, Fire Ball, Cure Protection from Energy, Plant Growth, Water Breathing, Lightning Bolt, Lesser Geas/Quest, Contagion, Neutralize Poison, Remove Disease, Charm Monster, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Confusion, Crushing Despair, Dispel Magic, Fear, Good Hope, Haste, Invisibility Sphere, Remove Curse, Speak with Animals, See Invisibility, Slow, Glyph of Warding, Locate Objects, Obscure Object, Water Walk, Wind Wall, Non Detection, Ray of Exhaustion, Tounges, Suggestion SpC: Unluck, Energy Vortex, Weather Eye CA: Earth Bolt, Commune with Lesser Spirit.

Level 4: Control Water, Command Plants, Cure Spike Stones, Serious Wounds, Scry, Heroism, Ice Storm, Rusting Grasp, Repel Vermin, Spike Stones, Fly, Solid Fog, Locate Creature, Greater Invisibility, Flame Strike, Freedom of Movement, Restoration, Sending, Break Enchantment, Detect Scrying, Hold Monster, Legend Lore, Greater Magic Weapon, SpC: Blast of Flame, Orb of Energy, Backlash, Arc of Lightning, Greater Resistance, Wind at Back, Panacea, Wrack CA: Pain

Level 5: Control Winds, Commune with Nature, Critical Wounds, True Seeing, Break Enchantment, Wall of Thorns, Charm Monster, Wall of Ice, Mark of Justice, Commune, Permanency, Awaken, Hallow, Atonement, Call Lightning Storm, Transmute Rock to Mud, Transmute Mud to Rock, Greater Dispel Magic, Dream, Polymorph, Mind Fog, Seeming, Song of Discord, Dismissal, Dominate Person SpC: Earth Reaver, Revivify, Cyclonic Blast, Greater Energy Burst, Vulnerability, Valiant Fury

Level 6: Legend Lore, Geas/Quest, Cure Light Wounds Mass, Hero’s Feast, Dream Sight, Cone of Cold, Heal, Find the Path, Chain Lightning, Fire Seeds, Stone Skin, Iron Wood, Harm, Greater Dispel Magic, Guards and Wards, Repulsion, Analyze Dweomer, Flesh to Stone, Stone to Flesh, Baleful Polymorph, SpC: Freezing Fog, Superior Resistance

Level 7: Control Weather, Animal Shapes, Earthquake, Regenerate, Spell Turning, Animate Plants, Sunbeam, Screen, Insanity, Greater Heroism, Greater Scrying, Live Oak, Vision, Greater Restoration, Energy Storm, Waves of Exhaustion SpC: Bestow Greater Curse, Storm of Elemental Fury CA: Commune with Greater Spirit

Level 8: Foresight, Whirlwind, Discern Location, Mind Blank, Protection from Spells, Polar Ray, Sunburst, Control Plants, Cure Critical Wounds Mass, Earthquake, Discern Location

Level 9: Elemental Swarm, Miracle, Dominate Monster, Obedient Avalanche, Greater Cloak of Bravery, Storm of Vengeance, Regenerate, SpC: Tsunami, Hindsight, Greater Whirlwind

/edit: Made all knowledge skills into class skills.
/edit 2.0: Yay! I finally know how to create spoilers!

Hawriel
2009-09-26, 12:05 AM
You should have Knowledge history and local as class skills.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-26, 12:14 AM
If the Druid's a wise man, just having all knowledge skills seems appropriate...

GallóglachMaxim
2009-09-26, 12:19 AM
This is interesting, although I might have to come up with a new name to fit it in with my ongoing game. Just one thing, I know CA, but what's SpC?

Nero24200
2009-09-26, 12:40 PM
This is interesting, although I might have to come up with a new name to fit it in with my ongoing game. Just one thing, I know CA, but what's SpC?

It means Spell Compendium.

Looks alright, though admittiidly I've not given it a good read just yet. I'd definately try some formatting if you get a chance, to make it a little easier to read.

dragonfan6490
2009-09-26, 07:04 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to make spoilers, so if one of ya'll could PM me, that would be great. As to the knowledge skills, it would seem to be a good idea to give it all knowledge skills as class skills.

Siosilvar
2009-09-26, 07:05 PM
text inside
becomes
text inside

Tables are useful, too.
{table]Column 1|Column 2|Column 3
Stuff|Things|More Stuff|Can't See Me[/table]

{table]Column 1|Column 2|Column 3
Stuff|Things|More Stuff|Can't See Me[/table]

Mulletmanalive
2009-09-26, 07:38 PM
i'm gonan say that from what i know of the Celtic Druidic tradition [ignoring the fact that i was once told Wicca descended from it; oh how i laughed...] that the blasting spells don't fit the image that the druids are portrayed with by Tacitus or Ceaser.

They seemed to be more orientated around strategy, empowerment and manipulation. The enchantment stuff fits, the majority of the Transmutation spells fit and some of the Druidic basic spells like Control Weather and Entangle. Illusion might be fitting too, such things as Illusory Terrain and so forth.

On a note of Pedantry, the actual term for PHB Druids would be Totemist rather than Shaman. Totemists become animals or gods as part of rituals while Shamans are either possessed by other entities or travel to the realms of other entities [depending on whether they're Southern or Russian tradition shamans]. I did a degree on this kind of thing :smallredface:

dragonfan6490
2009-09-26, 09:44 PM
i'm gonan say that from what i know of the Celtic Druidic tradition [ignoring the fact that i was once told Wicca descended from it; oh how i laughed...] that the blasting spells don't fit the image that the druids are portrayed with by Tacitus or Ceaser.

They seemed to be more orientated around strategy, empowerment and manipulation. The enchantment stuff fits, the majority of the Transmutation spells fit and some of the Druidic basic spells like Control Weather and Entangle. Illusion might be fitting too, such things as Illusory Terrain and so forth.

On a note of Pedantry, the actual term for PHB Druids would be Totemist rather than Shaman. Totemists become animals or gods as part of rituals while Shamans are either possessed by other entities or travel to the realms of other entities [depending on whether they're Southern or Russian tradition shamans]. I did a degree on this kind of thing :smallredface:

The blasting spells may not fit with the image written by Caesar or Tacitus, but if one reads old Celtic Myths, it does speak of Druids casting lightning bolts, so this was one of my liberties taken. :smallbiggrin:

All in all, thank you for you criticisms.

And as far as Wicca descending from the Druidic Tradition...that breaks the forum rules as it discusses real-world religions.

Mulletmanalive
2009-09-27, 12:04 AM
Does that mean that this post breaks forum rules as "Celtic Druidism" is a current world religion [through a pretty Victorian filter, admittedly]?

Regardless, the druid spell list, plus lightning bolt and maybe Arc of Lightning would have covered the lightning bit. My main concern was the fireball and other such things which bore little resemblence to the 'gathering windy warriors to smite my foes' that i've encountered in the Germanic myths. [I'm always dubious about "Celtic" myths from outside of Ireland for historical reasons].

I certainly agree with Cyclonic fury, but i think that the spell list could do with a bit of a flavour tightening; right now, it seems a little 'well i might as well' in places.

FeAnPi
2009-09-27, 03:39 AM
You know, when I was still a newbie years ago (something like 4 or 5, holy), I made an alternative druid too.

It was based on Caesar's description of the druids (I have translated that part of the De Bello Gallico something like five times :smallbiggrin:), and was very similar to your one.

But, as a matter of fact, D&D classes now are based on... themselves in the former editions, not on the traditions and legends.
Druids and mages (in Italy, wizard is translated as "mago" -i e "mage" in English) were both priests, but in D&D a wizards is not a cleric. And wizard was not originally a term used for a "mage": it was used to describe the "wise ones", and this is its original meaning (for example, Robert Guiscard: his Latin surname is Viscardus > Italian Guiscardso > English Guiscard; but the original Old French term is Viscart, i e our Wizard... and he conquered Southern Italy with blades and spears, not with fireballs and summoned monsters).

The first druid in D&D was a particular priest, as the original ranger was... well, a ranger. But now the druid has changed, changed utterly, and a terrible beast is born.:smallwink:

Yora
2009-09-27, 04:10 AM
Does that mean that this post breaks forum rules as "Celtic Druidism" is a current world religion [through a pretty Victorian filter, admittedly]?
Real world religions have deities, so we're not allowed to talk about deities.
Real world religions have angels, devas, rakshasas and much more, so we're not allowed to talk about outsiders.
Real world religions have clerics, shamans and sugenja, so we're not allowed to talk about divine spellcasters.
Real world religions have dragons, harpies, dryads and much more, so we're not allowed to talk about monster at all.

I'd say it's all fine as long as you don't go "You're believes are wrong!".

Or the other interpretation: You're not allowed to talk about Christianity, because everything else is false religion. :smallbiggrin:

onthetown
2009-09-28, 06:59 AM
So are the saves and BAB the same as the 3.5 Druid? I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime.

dragonfan6490
2009-10-01, 08:59 PM
*Bump*

This is all good stuff, any more constructive criticism?